Thread: Vegan breakfast protein

Default Vegan breakfast protein

Can anyone recommend a good source of protein for breakfast? I've been eating Yves breakfast links/patties and other processed foods, but I want to get away from that into a healthier, more natural protein source. Also, I don't like to cook in the mornings other than a few minutes for oatmeal so something like scrambled tofu probably wouldn't work for me. Any suggestions offered would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Vegan breakfast protein

Oats
    Nuts
    Any other grain
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

How about sprouted grain bread with a nut butter?

Or Soy yogurt and a breakfast bar and some fruit?

Those are my favorites...too sleepy to operate anything more complicated than a toaster mysellf.

Talking Re: Vegan breakfast protein

i sometimes soak oats overnight in soymilk and add fruit...

good source of protien, real filling too!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I also eat oats with a banana and add 3 Brazil nuts, about 5 walnuts and sunflower seeds and whatever other nuts I can afford. They contain protein and many other essential nutrients (zinc, selenium, omega 3 etc.).

Just get an old takeaway container and fill it with your desired mix of raw nuts and seeds and keep it in the fridge as they can go rancid.

A sprinkle of cinnamon and a bit of pureed apple or a date on top is nice for a treat. Breakfast is great!

I usually eat high protein bread with nut butter.

But this last week, one morning I made tofu scramble and then ate leftovers the next 2 mornings. I am NOT a morning person, and only cook breakfast (other than microwaving oats or making toast) on weekends. The first 2 ingredients I put in the pan (onions and ginger) actually burned right in front of me as I was half asleep.

Anyway, I felt great after eating such a larger than normal breakfast this week. And I even ate it at home the first 2 mornings. This morning I was running late so i ate half and then brought the rest to work to finish.

I have made tofu scramble in the microwave. If you aren't adding veggies, you really just need to heat up the tofu and mix in the spices. I use a spice mix by Fantastic Foods. That shouldn't take longer than oatmeal and is easy to eat between toast like a sandwich (if you generally eat breakfast in the car like I do... ) or make a breakfast wrap with a sprouted whole grain tortilla. You can add nutritional yeast for extra protein and some quick cook veggies like spinach or canned tomatos that just need to be heated. throw in leftover stuff you already have laying around or some salsa. potatos are good. raw veggies work well too - and no cooking time!

Try it, it is simple, i promise!

Thanks for the ideas! Bread with a nut butter is a great idea and I'll also definitely try the oats and nuts with fruit mix , soy milk- sounds yummy.
    Wildflower-the spice mix sounds great but unfortunately isn't available in Canada (I contacted Fantastic Foods about it last month). In fact I love their chili and tofu burgers but now they say they are discontinuing all of their products in Canada

oh man, that sucks!

I love the chilli too, and the taco mix. Haven't tried the tofu burgers.

I bought a different tofu scramble mix from Nasoya I believe (it was called tofu mate) but I didn't like it as much.

Oats and fruits are good. And if you cook the oats with the fruit it gets even better. I always eat mine cooked with a banana and then mix in soymilk and cinnamon afterwords. As an added bonus, the banana seems to keep the oats from exploding all over my microwave. Cooking with dried fruits (apricots or raisins) is yummy too, and they kinda plump back up.

If the tofu burger mix is available in the U.S., it's really good. Someone at my local health food store actually told me it was very similar to the scrambled tofu mix so if you like that, you'll probably like the burger.

That banana/soymilk/oats sounds really good but what do you do? Just chop up the banana or dried fruit and stick it in the microwave with oats/water for a few minutes and then put in soy milk and cinnamon when it comes out of the microwave? (Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but I actually only attempted oatmeal once in the microwave and it was such a disaster I couldn't eat it and never tried to again )

Also, make pancakes, waffles, and French toast with whole grain breads/flours.

You might be able to find bean burgers which are less processed and you can have a bean burger for breakfast. Or you can google up some recipes, and make a bunch and freeze them. Just pop one out of the freezer, and cook, and you can have a nice savoury, high protein breakfast. A whole wheat bun, and a glass of chocolate soy milk (more protein), and that seems pretty high protein.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Also, what do you consider "high protein"? That's subjective. Since I need about 40-50 grams of protein a day, I consider 15 grams per meal as the high end. What about you?

I have pretty good luck microwaving oatmeal. I use the steel cut though never the rolled (except for baking). I just nuke the oatmeal with water for 5 min. and add whatever I want after. It is a bit chewey but I like that anyway.

I've read in several places that the best protein is at least double the count of the carbohydrates, which is why the breakfast foods (patties/links) or tofu is what I have been eating. I need about 70+grams of protein, especially when I go running.
    Also, I had tried the vegan protein powder but it tasted disgusting, even with chocolate soy milk.

Maybe I'll try microwaving the oatmeal tomorrow, I don't mind chewy either.

What about baked beans?

i like to put a container of fruit flavoured soy yogurt in a bowl, sprinkle with oats, sunflower and flax seeds, and usually a chopped banana or a grated apple, stir until sticky and yummy and combined and eat! amazing and quick and you get your protein, carbs and fruit
    ~*wanna disco? wanna see me disco?*~

Quote jjdaiquiri
    i sometimes soak oats overnight in soymilk and add fruit...

good source of protien, real filling too!

good idea, i do this too jj!
    i soak mine with apple juice for extra fruity flavour. in the morning the oats are creamy, soft and chewy. at the moment i am adding to mine sunflower & pumpkin seeds, fresh blueberries and dried cranberries.

make sure you add more than enough juice or milk to soak or they will not be creamy and gooey but gone a bit dry.

Quote rach71
    If the tofu burger mix is available in the U.S., it's really good. Someone at my local health food store actually told me it was very similar to the scrambled tofu mix so if you like that, you'll probably like the burger.

That banana/soymilk/oats sounds really good but what do you do? Just chop up the banana or dried fruit and stick it in the microwave with oats/water for a few minutes and then put in soy milk and cinnamon when it comes out of the microwave? (Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but I actually only attempted oatmeal once in the microwave and it was such a disaster I couldn't eat it and never tried to again )

Yes, i start with rolled oats (NOT quick oats, that will be a diaster). put them in a REALLY large bowl (like a glass mixing bowl) the first time as sometimes they puff up a lot...I use 1/2cup rolled oats and 1 cup water. I put them in the bowl and break up a large banana and put that on top, then mix in. Put fruit, peanut butter, etc. at this time. Then, microwave for 4 minutes on 50% power (I have a quick cooking microwave, so it may be longer in yours.). I leave the dish uncovered. Then, I go about my things and come back later to get them out. they look really dry and sticky, so i add soymilk to help them cool and make them a bit creamier. That's when I throw cinammon in too.

Also, if you like your oats sweetened, add 1 tablespoon maple syrup before you cook them, mix it in with the water.

canned beans can be nuked and put into a pita or tortilla, or "refried" beans can spread on toast. the nut butter idea's really good too. if you don't need something warm, you don't even really need to nuke the beans, you could even have something relatively high in protein the night before for dinner (or from a couple nights before ) and make enough for leftovers and have that in the morning - who says you have to have "breakfast food"?
    Peace Love Surf.

one of my favorite breakfast things is a sandwich with sliced tofu. I buy a higher-protien/fiber bread (5 grams each per slice) and toast it so it doesn't get soggy. Then toss on some sliced tofu, veggies, fresh herbs and a drizzle of oil. A spread works well too, to hold it all together. you could use bean spread for even more protein. I like green oilve spread or basil pesto. almond butter would be good too. serve with a yummy cup of your choice warm beverage. I like coffee or tea.

ConsciousCuisine

Here's how I got my breakfast protein today:

2 Hempseed and flax waffles with crushed peanuts and 1 very small slice chocolate-almond-cheese-mousse pie with a chocolate cookie crust (there was only 1/4 a pie left and so it had to be split between 3 with 1/2 going to The Giant and the other 1/2 being split between The Child and I )

Total protein: 20 grams Yum factor: Off the charts

On most days though, I often eat soups (with veggies and beans/lentils/grains) or flourless sprouted grains English Muffins or whatever else main dish type of food I feel like making (seitan, pasta etc.)

Quote insubordination
    What about baked beans?
    Watch out for the sugar content in tinned beans (up to 8 grammes per tin) and they're more of a source of Carbs anyway.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I saw this recipe today on www.mothering.com, so I thought I would share. It does not say just how much protien is in this...

High-Protein Porridge

By Cathe Olson Author of The Vegetarin Mother's Cookbook and Simply Natural Baby Food available at www.simplynaturalbooks.com
    Moderator of Mothering's Nutrition and Good Eating Discussion Forum.

This hot breakfast cereal is a good source of minerals and B vitamins, as well as protein. Put it on first thing when you get up in the morning and by the time you're showered and dressed, it will be ready.

1/3 cup quinoa
    1/3 cup millet
    1/3 cup amaranth
    5 cups water
    Pinch sea salt
    1/4 cup flax or sesame seeds, ground
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cardamom (optional)

Rinse quinoa. Place grains, water, and sea salt in heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent cereal from sticking to bottom of pan. Stir in ground seeds and spices.

Makes 4 servings.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I'm thrilled to have all these breakfast options.

Wildflower, I tried the oats with banana and soy milk and it was really good (I'm going to go get some cinnamon today). I'll also try the last recipe you put down and see how it is.

I also checked out the waffles and bread at the health food store today but there wasn't a great selection (and no vegan bread at a health food store-very disappointing) so I'm going to head out to a few other stores now and see what I can find.

Thanks again everyone!

Glad you liked it!

Quote rach71
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I'm thrilled to have all these breakfast options.

Wildflower, I tried the oats with banana and soy milk and it was really good (I'm going to go get some cinnamon today). I'll also try the last recipe you put down and see how it is.

I also checked out the waffles and bread at the health food store today but there wasn't a great selection (and no vegan bread at a health food store-very disappointing) so I'm going to head out to a few other stores now and see what I can find.

Thanks again everyone!
    I'm sure you'd be able to find something in Victoria. I live in the unvegan province of PEI!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

FANTASTIC OVERNIGHT CEREAL
    This is a simple way to make a delicious, healthy breakfast by preparing it the night before so it will be ready to eat in the morning.
    1 cup old fashioned organic rolled oats
    1 cup soy or rice milk, apple juice, or water
    1 tablespoon currants or raisins
    ½ teaspoon cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a container and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    The next morning either enjoy the cereal cold or microwave until warmed. Serve with sliced bananas or seasonal fresh berries sprinkled over the top.

MULTIGRAIN HOT CEREAL
    This is another hearty breakfast that we enjoy. It does take a bit longer to cook but it is very filling and delicious. The mixture can be made up ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. If you soak the mixture overnight, it cuts down on the cooking time in the morning.
    4 cups oat groats (whole oats)
    ½ cup brown rice
    ½ cup quinoa
    ½ cup barley
    ½ cup millet
    ½ cup rye
    ½ cup spelt berries

Combine all the ingredients (or as many as you choose to use) in a large container and mix well. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
    To Cook:
    1) Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Rinse 1 cup of the mixture under cold water, then add to the pan and cook over medium-low heat for about 1 hour. Let rest, covered, about 10 minutes before serving.

2) THE NIGHT BEFORE: Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Rinse 1 cup of the mixture under cold water, then add to the pan. Turn off heat, cover and let rest until morning. Reheat in the morning and serve.
    3) Place 3 cups of water and 1 cup of rinsed mixture in a slow cooker (crockpot). Cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours.
    Hint: Add a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg or mace to the cooking water for extra flavor. Or try a tablespoon or two of currents or raisins.

Note: From Dr. McDougall's site
    Let thy food be thy medecine

I think there are enough good ideas here, but for breakfast I sometimes like to make a quick smoothie with soy milk, a banana (and sometimes other fruit like berries) and pecan nuts. Sometimes I a little peanutbutter instead of the nuts.