Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help! bought chezzly

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default help! bought chezzly

hi guys- wondered if anyone could me some advice on what i can make/ do with this vegan cheese i bought to do. it's 'mature white chedder style' what can i make with this that is easy? can you grate it? put it on pizzas? i haven't got a clue but thought i should buy it and then ask for advice!

cheers guys

xxx

Kevster

Default Re: help! bought chezzly

Good Lord, what to do with Cheezly? Personally i'd grate it add some VEGAN worcester sauce, and stick it on toasted bread, yum.

I would throw it immediately in the bin, vegan cheese is putrid!
    Silent but deadly :p

tabitha

The mozerella type melting cheezly is better for pizza, it does kind of melt....in a half arsed sort of way LOL. The ordinary cheddar cheese type stuff is ok but doesnt really melt. My advice is heavily conceal the taste. gag.

its such a shame its pretty impossible to find a cheese alternative that is decent

i liked the vegan spread i bought a while ago. Thanks kevstar will do. I get the impression not many people like vegan cheese so i don't really not what im gonna do with it

I like it!

If it's not the "super melty" one I advise putting it in a white sauce and making cauliflower and/or broccoli cheese

It's also good in tofu quiche, or potato and onion pasties, or in toasted sandwiches.

If you want, I could post a recipe for quiche, though you can probably find them online anyway.

I don't buy it very often because I class it a luxury item and I did without the substitutes for years because I didn't like them when I first tried them, but I like Cheezely fine these days

Quote twinkle
    I did without the substitutes for years because I didn't like them when I first tried them, but I like Cheezely fine these days
    I agree with this twinkle. When I first turned vegan, I tried to substitute stuff, and so close to eating the real thing, the substitutes don't even come close! But the longer you go without, the better and (slightly) more realistic they taste. I hadn't tried mayonnaise for ages because I found it so bad, but about a month ago, a vegan cafe served it, and I thought it was delicious. My friend also made me a cheesly sandwich a couple of weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised. I remembered it tasting nasty, but it wasn't so bad.

My 5 years old loves the stuff with pickle on a sandwich for school EVERY day (he isn't too keen on its own though).

Just use it like you would cheese. It is lovely on top of lasague and left in the oven i little to long so its really crispy

I really like cheezly, but don't get it often because I'm so used to not having it that I don't really miss it, and as Twinkle says, it's a bit of a luxury item.

If it doesn't have the 'super melting' sticker then I'd go with the grated into things approach or the thinly sliced on crackers approach If it's super melting you can do anything with it! Cheese on toast, pizza, whatever.

VeganJohn

Cheddar cheezly is particularly gorgeous, I can't believe people miss dairy cheese when products such as this exist.

Amazing pizzas, lasagnes, cheese on toast, cheese toasties........the list of possiblities is endless, especially with the melting variety.

I keep meaning to attempt to make my own vegan cheese, I have several recipes. Anyone had any success with this?

sugarmouse

i liek the cheese subsitutesi think the reason ilike them more is as i dont think of them as a cheese substitute, i think of them as a different vegan food..they grew on me!

i like to use them in a salad with tomato,olives and spinach....the flavours go well.i put them on pizza bases and in hot sandwiches with tomatoes.

Talking chezzly

As it keeps a week or more why not keep it on hand as a last minute ingredient when the pasta sauce is a bit boring or the burrito isn't fattening enough? My nephew grew up with it as a lacto-intolerant so its lurking in our fridge. Crackers chutney chezzly and apple is handy after an afternoon shopping. Also one of those bad-old-days veg main dishes to try: leftover brownrice, grated carrot, green onion or other bits lurking at the bottom of the veg bin mixed with grated "cheese" and baked in a loaf!
    Plenty of other vintage veg dishes to try (I shudder to remember) out there.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

cheers guys for all your responses! the 'cheese' is not the melting one but i'll try and sneak it into some dinners. I don't even know ifi like it I guess i'll soon find out twinkle coud you please tell me how to make white sauce with this 'cheese' stuff coz that sounds nice with brocolli- then my housemates can see how healthy i am with my vegan lifestyle yum! i'll have that with a spicy bean burger..yum yum!

cheers guys- if anyone else has anymore ideas as to whazt to do with this 'cheezly' stuff it would be greatly appreciated

cheers everyone

xxxxx

I also love Cheezly. I think it's far better than cheese ever was. I would put it in sandwiches with some ploughman's pickle, sliced tomatoes or some spring onions. I've only used the super melting for cooking so far (the Mozarella style makes great pizzas). I would recommend the Gouada style for a cheese on toast type experience.

Quote yum
    if anyone else has anymore ideas as to whazt to do with this 'cheezly' stuff it would be greatly appreciated
    Even the un-melting version does sort of melt when cooked so you can, for example, mix it with cooked spinach and oregano, wrap in filo pastry and bake to get a vegan version of those Greek spinach and cheese pies.

Personally I am not so keen on Cheezly au naturel but I like using it in cooking sometimes.

Default Re: chezzly

Quote pat sommer
    As it keeps a week or more why not keep it on hand as a last minute ingredient
    i've found mine goes mouldy extremely quickly, and goes all 'sweaty' if i don't use the whole pack in one go

i rarely buy it as it's a bit expensive and i'm not mad keen, but it's ok cubed and made into a Greek-style salad (i'm not sure if they make a feta-style one, but the Cheddar-style one does fine). i like it with pickle too but it needs to be a fairly strong-flavoured pickle as it tastes too much like socks otherwise!

i find it particularly difficult to slice and grate as well as it's quite squishy and just seems to make a mess!

There's a simple recipe for white sauce here - obviously use marge or vegetable oil instead of butter. I don't tend to cook it for this long either.

What I would do is:

- preheat the oven or grill (optional, but means you can brown off the cauliflower/broccoli cheese, if you have a casserole dish)
    - finely chop or grate the cheezely
    - get seasonings ready including salt, pepper, cayenne or chilli powder or mustard (or all of these) - I think cheesy sauces taste nicer with a dash of spice (maybe half a teaspoonful? depending how much kick you like)
    - break/cut up your broccoli and/or cauliflower.
    - get a saucepan ready to put the broccoli/cauliflower in, half fill with water and turn the heat on under it (or boil a kettle)
    - start making the white sauce. I would normally mix the flour, fat, cook for about a minute, start adding the milk very gradually and stir *all the time* because lumps form very easily - don't worry if it looks a bit lumpy just carry on stirring and adding more liquid a bit at a time as it should smooth out. If not you can always cheat and put it through a sieve or in a blender
    - start cooking your cauliflower/broccoli
    - add the cheezely, but keep a bit back to sprinkle over the top if you're going to brown it off in the oven or under the grill.
    - stir in until melted. Taste the sauce and then add salt, pepper, or and other seasonings to taste. you could also add some fried onions in, or a teaspoon of stock powder such as marigold or kallo vegan stock powders - these add to the depth of flavour.
    - keep stirring the sauce now and then while waiting for the broccoli/cauliflower to cook - add some more soya milk if you think it's getting too thick.
    - drain the veg thoroughly, and add them to the pan with the cheezy sauce in, if there's room in that - the sauce is a bit sticky to clean off so you're better off only getting one pan covered in it.
    - alternatively, if you're going to brown it off, pour the veg in to the casserole, then pour the sauce over, topping with reserved cheese. Some people sprinkle a few breadcrumbs over as well, to crisp up. I don't do that but it's a suggestion

Oh, you might want to cut the quantity in half, if it's just you eating

cheers twinkle i will have that for my lunch today

Well I love Cheezly it's top stuff and here are some tips for storing it.

Take it right out of the plastic wrapper once open and lightly wrap in greasproof paper then keep stored in an air tight clear tupper wear tub.

Never get any probs wit mine and I make all the stuff you can do with normal cheese.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Tiggerwoo

Quote Kevster
    Good Lord, what to do with Cheezly? Personally i'd grate it add some VEGAN worcester sauce, and stick it on toasted bread, yum.
    Now that sounds good, am gonna go and buy some and try that now..... Having said that I've never tried any vegan cheese, but from what it seems it looks like marmite...... you love it or hate it!

Thumbs down Re: help! bought chezzly

Ewww. I thought cheesly was mank.:
    I've never been one to turn-down any food simply on how it tastes, but cheesly is about the only thing I can remember EVER throwing in the bin because it was so nasty.
    On the up-side, we buy some stuff called Scheese, which comes in various flavours and is much better. I like the smoked variety best, but only in certain circumstances. I find it goes well with a nice thick veggy soup, and a lump of crusty bread.
    Or ( as Pat said) melting (ish) on a burrito.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote yum

cheers guys- if anyone else has anymore ideas as to whazt to do with this 'cheezly' stuff it would be greatly appreciated

xxxxx
    I think Cheezely tastes great. It is the only hard vegan cheese I like. I have grated it and put it on baked potatoes for omni friends and they did not guess it was not dairy cheese (until later) also came back for seconds. If you can find the sprouting thread I posted a recipe for vegan cheese savory on it. If you are not into sprouting you could substitute grated carrot and onion for the sprouts.
    It is also good in salad sandwiches and grated into sauces.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote snaffler

Take it right out of the plastic wrapper once open and lightly wrap in greasproof paper then keep stored in an air tight clear tupper wear tub.

Never get any probs wit mine and I make all the stuff you can do with normal cheese.
    Also the cookware company Pyrex (?) do a circular glass dish with a plastic lid which is exactly the right size for the rounds of cheezely. Pyrex is often available in discount shops. I agree with the greasproof paper suggestion as storing fatty food in direct contact with plastic can cause toxins to leach out of the plastic into the food.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

sugarmouse

I sprinkle iton soups or add it to them to make them have a creamier texture aswell.iv added it to stir fries adn put it in fancy salads with olives, tomatoes and dressing ...

everyone seems to hate the taste of cheezly...i found it quite chalky at first, when i first started using it. but i really like it now. and not as a cheddar replacement.

i enjoy it for its own taste :P

Quote snaffler

i bought a block of Cheezly a few days ago and i wrapped it in greaseproof paper before putting it in an airtight tub. this didn't seem to help the problem of mould though as this morning i had to scrape a few small white furry bits off it it had only been opened a couple of days ago. i don't know what i'm doing wrong, nothing else in my fridge goes mouldy this quickly

on the plus side, i made a gorgeous sandwich with it: multigrain wholemeal bread, cheddar-style Cheezly and locally made tomato and garlic relish it was even better than i expected - having a top-quality relish helped but it did taste quite a bit like real cheese.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Hmmm....thats odd,i can leave mine opened still in the wrapper for days and it's ok!If i grate it and put it in tupperware it can sit for a week!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

hmm yeah that is weird! usually after i have opened mine, if i wrap it in a plastic bag (you know, the ones you put fruit/veg in, in supermarkets) and stick it in the fridge, it keeps for ages. no mould.

sometimes i even forget to put it in a bag, and its still fine! it goes a bit hard, but not much and no mould

Yeh,just trim the dry edges off and it's ok again!

yah!

heh, ive come to love cheezley so much now i sometimes take it out the fridge & just take a bite out of it :$ hehe..but no one elses uses it, so its ok

I think Cheezly tastes great and use it a lot,dunno why some people think its horrible,unless they havn't tried it?I must admit there are some pretty mingin vegan cheeses out there.I bought that stuff thats made on an island on the West coast of Scotland,can't remember the name of the company,but BOY,was that stuff rank!!!!And yet i gave it to a mate of mine who thinks it's great,each to their own i suppose!

hmm dunno which one youre on about..but yeah i agree. i love cheezley although i can see why some people wouldnt like it - its not really creamy like real cheese.

but i still like it.

This stuff!

As i said,one of my friends loved it but i thought it was disgusting,sweaty sock style!!!!

it took me a long time to get used to Cheezly but the longer it's been since i ate cow cheese, the more i'm starting to like Cheezly.

i don't know why nobody else's goes mouldy... it is weird indeed!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i bought some nacho cheezly the other day - spicy! grated it in some tortilla wraps with mashed avocado, coriander & lime with some salad - nice!

Quote lozza

i enjoy it for its own taste :P
    I tried to do that, too... to think of vegan cheese as a unique food rather than a replacement, but I still don't like it... perhaps it will eventually grow on me...

Or, even better, perhaps they'll make a vegan cheese that actually tastes very good!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I'm getting confused now,is everyone here talking about the same stuff?
    Do you get Redwood Cheezly in America?

I don't know how anyone can't like it.

tabitha

But could you eat it on its own or on crackers (gag). Having said that I put it in mashed potatoes and have just topped a shepherds pie with it. I can stomach it (just) if it is cunningly disguised and believe me I have become the master of disguising the rotten stuff.

I don't know how people can eat Cheezly!!
    When you grate it it stinks like Cheetos and looks like chalk.
    When it melts its pretty feeble.
    And it tastes rank!
    Oh how I wish I liked Vegan Cheese, but alas...

Quote gogs67
    I'm getting confused now,is everyone here talking about the same stuff?
    Do you get Redwood Cheezly in America?

I don't know how anyone can't like it.
    I didn't really like the slices, but then I never liked processed cheese anyway. I like the blocks of cheezly though, for the texture mainly, it's good on crackers with some pickle.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

i haven't seen any of the slices for ages, they don't seem to be available round here anymore. there also seem to be loads of different packaging designs circulating so i'm never quite sure i'm buying the right stuff.

Russ

I really like cheezly. Which is weird, cause I never liked actual cheese (you know, back when I ate it, when I was a dairy-eating weirdo).

The thing that perplexed me for probably too long a time, was how to open the packet right.
    I'm still not sure I'm doing it right, which is both hilarious and pitiful. I kind of knife the top off, then cut the cheese in half. This seemed like the easiest way to cut slices off and store it but I'm convinced it's not quite right.

Oh well, I'm laughing just thinking about my ineptitude.

it's not just you - it doesn't seem like very user-friendly packaging to me either!

The packaging is difficult, once I've got it out I usually keep is well wrapped in clingfilm, I've kept it for several weeks before if it's well wrapped.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

veggiesosage

I reckon the mozzarella style slices are the best for amking pizza. Better than the blocks for some reason, which is a little odd.

sugarmouse

I like it i cnt really remember what cheese is like but i dnt eat cheese..so i see it as a seperate food! and i agree abotu that packaging russ!its impossible!lol

Russ

Wow, so it's not only me!

*self-esteem soars*

Someone needs to tell them that there's no proper way to open their cheese.

tabitha

Ive just made a pizza with their new Super Melting Cheezly and its not half bad. Again I had to make it a well loaded pizza, but I put a bit of olive oil and a lot of garlic on top and bugger me......IT MELTED