Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help! bought chezzly

Default Re: help! bought chezzly

Quote Russ
    Wow, so it's not only me!

*self-esteem soars*

Someone needs to tell them that there's no proper way to open their cheese.
    i think i'll try and email them anyway because i'm perplexed about the mould problem that i seem to be the only person experiencing... i wonder if they could make their packaging not only easier to open but recyclable as well?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Russ

I have experienced the mould, but usually I eat it fast enough for that to not happen

Quote tabitha
    Ive just made a pizza with their new Super Melting Cheezly and its not half bad. Again I had to make it a well loaded pizza, but I put a bit of olive oil and a lot of garlic on top and bugger me......IT MELTED

but i find after about a minute or two its already reverted back to 'hard, non-stringy' status

tabitha

Fink I ate the pizza too quickly to notice that Cedarblue
    We must face the fact vegan cheese is not that pleasant. Real Cheese and me are so weird at the moment. I crave it - or I think I do, then when Im faced with it, I cant eat it anyway. How weird am I?

veggiesosage

Quote cedarblue
    but i find after about a minute or two its already reverted back to 'hard, non-stringy' status
    The 'super melting' slices are much better on that front Cedarblue. In fact they are the only ones that are any good for that.

i can't find the melting slices anywhere - in fact i can't get any kind of slices at all. shops round here only ever have the blocks, which i find are very difficult to slice or grate properly. perhaps Redwood's distribution is a little patchy, that would explain the old packaging designs still cropping up in my local shops.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Try another grater,I've got no problems with mine!(apart from the very end of the block when it kinda crumbles)
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

i've tried various graters with little success! the problem is always either the Cheezly falls apart, or it's too squishy and just ends up in a soggy lump. it depends on the batch.

veggiesosage

Quote gogs67
    apart from the very end of the block when it kinda crumbles)
    Don't ya just hate it when that happens? The biggest bit always falls on the floor and you're a 1/3 of a sandwich short

Kinda annoying!

Oh and Gorilla,was just thinkin,maybe my fridge is just alittle bit colder than yours,that would stop it being 'squishy'!

my fridge is very cold! it really does seem to depend on the batch - some blocks are really crumbly, some are really squishy. they come that way when i buy them!

Quote Gorilla
    i think i'll try and email them anyway because i'm perplexed about the mould problem that i seem to be the only person experiencing... i wonder if they could make their packaging not only easier to open but recyclable as well?
    Whenever I've bought this "cheese" as well it always goes really mouldy really quick however I wrap it. It also goes all wet and horrible after a day or so.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

veggiesosage

Curiouser and curiouser. I get no mold, I still eat my Cheezley when by rights it should be well into advanced mongy stage. I even take the stuff to work if I don't have time to make sarnies in the morning so it stays out of the fridge all day!

I hate cheezly, i've found that it does go sweaty and horrible very quickly and just generally tastes ming, i also don't like the fake cheese slices in holland and barrat, however i discovered the wonder that is SCHEESE in a health food shop when visiting my boyfriend in Leigh-on-sea and i must say that it is even scrummier than normal cheese! Especially the cheddar and chives one, mmmm so good!
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

That is just so weird how different peoples tastes can be!I think cheezly is great but Scheese is disgusting..........
    Saying that,i don't really remember what dairy cheese tastes like so i don't have a comparison in what is realistic,I just know what i prefer!

i've never tried Scheese, but from what i can make out it seems most people who like Cheezly hate Scheese, and vice-versa. weird!

veggiesosage

I like both Cheezly and Scheese. Hickory smoke Scheese and the mozzarella melting sliced Cheezley are the best imho.

a didgeridoo

Quote Gorilla
    i've never tried Scheese, but from what i can make out it seems most people who like Cheezly hate Scheese, and vice-versa. weird!
    that pretty much works for me (like scheese, don't like cheezly). but having said that, i tried some of the new super-melty stuff the other day, and it wasnt half bad! i think i may have to test it out on a pizza...

tabitha

The supermelting stuff is actually quite good on a pizza. I think the best of a poor lot anyways.

a didgeridoo

cheers Tabs, I'll give it a go. About to leave the office and there's a Holland & Barrett in the station which may still be open, so might even be on the cards for dinner tonight

i just bought the super melting, after not being able to find it for aaaaaaaages. a health food store near me AND h+b both have it now..its sooo yummy.

it tastes much creamier than the others..i was just eating slices of it right out the pack yesterday..mmm yum! and also its great putting some on toast & melting it under the grill..uuuuhhh yum <3

i have yet to try it on a pizza.

Quote gogs67
    That is just so weird how different peoples tastes can be!I think cheezly is great but Scheese is disgusting..........
    Saying that,i don't really remember what dairy cheese tastes like so i don't have a comparison in what is realistic,I just know what i prefer!
    I'm finding that i can't remember what "real" cheese tastes like either, i've been eating hummous in my sarnies this week and i'm finding that it tastes cheese like to me! (or what i think it tastes like...)
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

I used to get the problem with the mould and it not grating.

We since got a new fridge. It's set at 3 degrees C, and stuff definitely keeps better in it. The cheezly grates and doesn't go mouldy. It kinda dries out after a couple of weeks, instead. I keep it in a part of the fridge designed for cheese and stuff.

Tried the Free & Easy cheese sauce mix today. Steamed leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, added cooked pasta and covered in the cheesey sauce. Baked in a hot oven for 15 minutes. Very nice Bit of grated cheezley and/or breadcrumbs and it would have been perfect I reckon. My wife was dubious of it, but she had seconds
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Cant beat vegan cauliflower and cheese!Mmmmmm..............grate cheezly through the sauce before you cook it then grate some over the top with some sliced tomatos as your baking it!

Quote Ara
    I'm finding that i can't remember what "real" cheese tastes like either, i've been eating hummous in my sarnies this week and i'm finding that it tastes cheese like to me! (or what i think it tastes like...)
    I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!

i work at o'briens (irish sandwich bar) and when i made myself a sandwhich, i put on it: their sundried tomato humous, sundried tomatoes & salad. and when i ate it, i swear it tasted like cheese. and i was actually kinda worried that maybe there was dairy in the humous :/

but i checked the ingredients myself and there isnt its not a traditional humous recipe, but it still tastes yummy! i think maybe the oil that the sundried tomatoes was in, mixed with the humous gave it a kinda cheesy taste.

mmm sandwich!

I just had my first taste of it and it wasnt bad. I wouldnt say it was ghastly or anything, it just wasnt cheese! I think ill get used to it. My husband swears by putting it in a sandwich with my homemade bread, olive spread, pickled mini-gherkins, sweet chilli sauce and 'cheatin ham'.

XD

I bought some chezzly yesterday for the first time. I wanted to make a vegetable lasagne with it. The only place I could find it was Holland and Barrett. I wish more places would stock it!

Reading the comments has made me a little dubious about trying it. I will let you know what I think.

I also bought some Tofutti cream cheese (garlic and herbs?). It was expensive so hopefully that will be good on some crackers.

if you use it in a lasagna make sure it's meltable type and you don't use it on the top. If you do then it'll just all evaporate off - i does melt, but doesn't act like dairy cheese at high temperatures for extended periods

Tofutti is IMO a complete rip off. It is nice, but i tend not to buy it.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote raquelle
    I bought some chezzly yesterday for the first time. I wanted to make a vegetable lasagne with it. The only place I could find it was Holland and Barrett. I wish more places would stock it!

Reading the comments has made me a little dubious about trying it. I will let you know what I think.

I also bought some Tofutti cream cheese (garlic and herbs?). It was expensive so hopefully that will be good on some crackers.
    personally, i think the flavored ones arent that nice. i tried the garlic & herbs and didnt like it. i looooove the original one tho, cos i miss cream cheese. and i think its really nice on toast. i can eat the whole tub in about 2 days :|

Well I made my lasagne last night and used the vegan cheese that I bought. All I can say is ewww It is horrible. I'm glad I no longer eat dairy cheese but it is sooooo much better than this. Cheezly has scarred me for life. Never again.

tabitha

Its certainly an acquired taste.....gag

Russ

What's wrong with you people, I love cheezly. If I'd have had some bread for the last week you'd have bet all my cheezly would be gone by now.

Then again before going vegan I did used to eat plastic cheese stuff anyway that said "30% cheese" on the side leaving me wondering what the rest of it was. Maybe that's what cheezly is made of.

I'm going to trek into Surbiton and get some bread. It's a lovely sunny day, what a great day to see the pleasant surface of archetypal suburbia.

Russ

I'm home now with some bread eating cheezly sandwiches.

I'm home now with some bread eating cheezly sandwiches.

Cheesy feet smelling and tasting (not that I've tasted any cheesy feet thank goodness )

Russ

well then ... HOW DO YOU KNOW ....

im jealous.

i am starving. i love the super melting edam cheezly, but not melted, just dry on a sandwhich with some fake meat slices, or not.. just on its own.

oh my god i am so hungry..

Russ

Why don't you eat some food? That usually works for me.

lol..usually works for me too.

but i've been working all day, and then have had to come to uni to do coursework. and cant go home yet..and wont get home til later tonight. and have no money to buy anything

the boyfriend went and got me a tub of humous tho and some bread.aww. very bad dinner - sandwiches. but hey what more could i do?

eat least im not starving anymore.

I just had some of the cheddar style cheezly (Not the super melty stuff) in a toasted sandwich with tomato and sundried tomato.

Because I made it in a sandwich toaster there was enough heat to really melt the cheese without anything getting burned, it was great