Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: pancakes

Default Re: pancakes

i have just recently managed to find chickpea and buckwheat flour..that is, the supermarkets finally started to stock them. i've made some chickpea flour frittatas (yum!) but if anyone has a buckwheat flour pancake/crepe recipe, i'd be thrilled!!
    Piggy

pavotrouge

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw I want sweet pancakes!
    I've discovered a great recipe for Lebanese parsley pancakes recently tho and have fallen madly in love with them.

care to share the parsley pancake recipe?

also, if anyone has a decent buckwheat pancake recipe, pleeease post!
    Piggy

Default Buckwheat pancakes

30g buckwheat flour
    30g wholewheat flour
    1 teaspoon soya flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 pint water
    pinch of salt.

Mix all together to make a smooth batter, cover and leave to stand for 45 minutes. Makes 4 (7") crepes. I usually have these with grilled veggies, steamed asparagus, or put a bit of chilli or ratatouille inside and roll them up. Great with a tomato/miso/tahini sauce.

thanx fiamma!! that sounds great!
    Piggy

You're welcome I love these pancakes, they make a nice change and they're so easy to make.

these are the cheapest-to-make fluffy pancakes that i know (no soymilk or tofu or applesauce or bananas or flax required). and they taste yummy.

2 1/2 c whole grain flour
    4 Tablespoons sweetener
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt

2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups water (seriously, just water)
    a few teaspoons vanilla extract here or a few tablespoons of black strap molasses mixed into the water is optional

then add however much of these: (1-4 Tablespoons cinnamon, ginger, allspice, mace, nutmeg, etc..)

mix dry and wet until barely mixed. then add bananas or chopped walnuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, berries, chocolate chips, other fruit, bla bla bla. dont overmix. you want to see those little bubbles form in the batter. the baking soda:baking powder ratio causes them to fluff up.

i got this recipe (and modified it a little) from 'Vegan Nutrition: pure and simple' by Dr. Michael Klapper M.D. that book rocks too.

This recipe impresses non-vegans as well - without todu, and with or without soy milk (but add some vanilla!):

http://dolphyn.com/recipes/Pancakes.htm
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Pancake Tuesday (shrove Tuesday) is nearly here! Will anybody else be making pancakes? I'm even thinking of investing in maple syrup (at nearly €7 a bottle it is an investment!).

My go-to pancake recipe is this one from Isa Chandra Moskowitz http://www.theppk.com/2011/12/puffy-pillow-pancakes/
    Houmous atá ann!

I am making them! I use the recipe from Another Dinner Is Possible

Does anyone else find that recipes without sugar or syrup in the batter work better than those that don't? Mine always stick to the pan
    "Eventually, I realised that the reason I was so angry was because I want people in the world to be well." - Ian MacKaye

Quote Wraithling View Post
    Does anyone else find that recipes without sugar or syrup in the batter work better than those that don't? Mine always stick to the pan
    Not really, no. I find the best way to stop them sticking is to let the batter rest and to heat the pan on low/medium for about 10 minutes before cooking.
    Houmous atá ann!

I have all kinds of vegan pancake recipes...regular banana and gluten free banana rice flour pancakes; buckwheat as well as gluten free buckwheat pancakes; pumpkin pancakes; coconut pancakes; cornmeal blueberry pancakes; orange spice pancakes; sweet potato pancakes; rice pancakes (with actual cooked rice); plain pancakes.
    I love to warm some frozen berries with a little water on the stove and pour them over the pancakes.

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    I have all kinds of vegan pancake recipes...regular banana and gluten free banana rice flour pancakes; buckwheat as well as gluten free buckwheat pancakes; pumpkin pancakes; coconut pancakes; cornmeal blueberry pancakes; orange spice pancakes; sweet potato pancakes; rice pancakes (with actual cooked rice); plain pancakes.
    I love to warm some frozen berries with a little water on the stove and pour them over the pancakes.
    Sounds like you're a pancake connaisseur! Which is your favourite?
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Sounds like you're a pancake connaisseur! Which is your favourite?
    Surprisingly the buckwheat ones are probably my favorite, as they have a robust flavor and absorb fruit and maple syrup well and they are quite filling and satisfying.

Quote Robinwomb View Post

Surprisingly the buckwheat ones are probably my favorite, as they have a robust flavor and absorb fruit and maple syrup well and they are quite filling and satisfying.
    I've never used buckwheat flour, I should broaden my flour-horizons!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Wraithling View Post
    Not found that at all, I made these over the weekend (they have both sugar and maple syrup in) and they turned out perfectly:

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Not found that at all, I made these over the weekend (they have both sugar and maple syrup in) and they turned out perfectly:
    Very nice FS! I made berry pancakes today, picture in the 'pictures of good food you have eaten' thread
    Houmous atá ann!

I made the ones from ADIP, they were OK but I substituted oil for melted Vitalite which was a mistake as they were not as nice as usual. Will ensure to use oil in furture