Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pancakes

Default pancakes

Here is the recipe I promised I'd post when I unpacked and found my cookbooks!

1 c flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 mashed banana
    1 1/4 c soy milk (I use vanilla)
    1 Tbsp sweetener

Sift flour and baking powder together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mash the banana, add 1/4 of the milk and mix together until there are no lumps. Add banana, sweetener, and reamining milk to the dry mix. Stir together until just mixed. Pour onto hot skillet and cook them up!

I top this with fresh fruit a lot, or this banana cream sauce, if I am feeling very primate.

1 chopped banana
    2 Tbsp oil
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp lemon juice

Blend all together and use immediately. If you let it sit, it becomes very thick and sticky.

Enjoy!
    -JK

BTW, I got this recipe from "How it all Vegan" which is a truly awesome cookbook!
    -JK

Thanks for the recipe! I made these this weekend - my son loved them, my daughter didn't like them, and my wife and I devoured them!
    You could also make the batter a little wetter (bit more soymilk, I think), and make crepe-style pancakes with them instead.
    The flavour was really very good (especially when smothered in maple syrup ).
    No Gods, No Masters.

Lightbulb Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday)

The 8th of February 2005 is the last day before Lent, known as Shrove Tuesday. Pancakes are often made on this day, traditionally to use up ingredients that would be given up during Lent or so I'm told.

Has anyone or everyone got a pancake receipe to share ? Foxy, you must have loads in your overflowing recipe book. Anyone ?

My recipes aren't worth sharing, but lately I've been cooking blue corn (maize) pancakes. I add apple butter and evaporated cane juice to the mix and don't bother with the maple syrup.

Thumbs up ronny's pancakes

this recipe was in the old 'go vegan' booklet, entitled 'ronny's pancakes'.

(i hope im not infringing any copyright by copying it out )

this recipe sounds improbable but it apparently works very well...
    (makes four apparently)

2/3pt soya milk
    3 heaped tbs flour (white works best)
    1 tbs flour or soya flour
    pinch of salt

beat ingredients together and check the consistency - it should evenly cover the back of a spoon.
    if ncessary add more flour or milk and fiddle till the consistency is just right.
    heat a pan and pour in 1 tsp (no more) vegetable oil, ensure it covers the pan.
    pour in 1/4 of the mixture and tilt pan quickly to ensure even coverage. cook on a medium heat till golden brown then turn over and cook other side.

there you go!

ive never used this recipe but plan to this year

Cedar, could you use in rice milk instead? Or would it not work? I'm kinda craving pancakes right now, lol and all I have is some vanilla rice milk.

i guess any 'milk' would do, i would use rice or nut milk if thats what i had. try it and see!

its only flour and milk after all, it cant go that wrong!!

let us know your results.

tails4wagging

Default How do I make vegan pancakes?

Is it just with flour and water???.

Tails, Cedarblue posted a pancake recipe here , however I don't think anyone's got any tried and tested recipes as of yet
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I have made great pancakes!!!! I use the same recipe all the time.... they always come out really good.... I am at work, but I will jot it down and post it soon
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

OK so you start off with whatever pancake mix or bread mix you prefer... I use whole wheat..... It depends on how many you want to make but let's just say it's just for you.

-One cup of the mix.
    -One cup (I use vanilla) soy milk or rice milk of your choice
    -One teaspoon oil of your choice
    -One teaspoon of egg replacer (yellow box - do you have that by you? if not i am sure you can get it online)
    -scoop of spirulina, flavor of choice. vanilla is really good.

optional
    -i sprinkle some quick oats for texture (quick oats is like oatmeal but just the flakes)
    -i also use a little bit of flax seed oil and/or seeds. the seeds taste better in the mix.
    -sometimes i use vegan chocolate chips also

ok so you just mix it all together... and then voila!!!! pancakes. they come out really good. I promise.

tails4wagging

Thanks folks. Someone told me recently you add sparkling mineral water to make it light.

Quote Camyle26
    optional
    -i sprinkle some quick oats for texture (quick oats is like oatmeal but just the flakes)
    -i also use a little bit of flax seed oil and/or seeds. the seeds taste better in the mix.
    -sometimes i use vegan chocolate chips also

ok so you just mix it all together... and then voila!!!! pancakes. they come out really good. I promise.

Camyle, you should NEVER cook flaxseed oil

if you feel like being lazy about it i use aunt jimaima (sp) whole wheat pancake mix, and use soy milk and egg replacer- also i usually add some apple sauce and cinn. or banana and nuts- its quick and easy

i use a pancake mix that is gluten free. its 1 1/4 cups of mix, 1 cup of milk or water (i use water, but i end up using more water than this so its more runny), 1/4 cup canola oil, and 1 egg (i use ener-g egg replacer)

all the mix is is baking powder, sugar, salt and flour. im pretty good with recipes, so if i were to do it without mix, i would probably use around a cup of flour (any kind) a teaspoon of baking powder, a tablespoon or two of sugar and a dash of sea salt. than you can mix that with a cup of water, egg replacer equal to one egg and some oil. then you just fry them
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

How it all vegan has the best pancake recipes EVER!!

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Pancake mix is essentially just baking powder, flour and salt.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

did anyone else try the recipe i posted? i made them and they turned out great! husband did not notice they had soya milk, soya flour and no egg in them!

i did add more milk than recipe said though as i like them a bit thinner.

tails4wagging

I did ronnys recipe just soya milk, flour and I added a little baking powder, turned out well, too well I ate two, one with lemon and sugar and the other with maple syrup!!!.

i was never any good at making pancakes, vegan or otherwise, so i tend not to bother. i had some pancake mix from Veganstore last year and it wasn't very nice. mine always tend to end up either in a big lump or burnt.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I usually dont like pancakes at all, but this year one of my friends was feeling pancake day homesick and asked us all round to make pancakes and went through the trouble of finding a recipe for me, so we made it and i am converted!!! as all the others seem to say, it was just flour and soya milk (though we used self raising and the recipe was 'fluffly pancakes') and we added cocoa powder (green and blacks mmmm) and raisins. yum. did make me wonder why normal pancakes bother with an egg at all, i thought it was to bind it but for pancake slop it seems a bit unnecessary!
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

cross barer

Default pancake recipe please?

anyone got a nice pancake recipe incorporating baking soda?
    I can't remember how i used to make them olde age

Default Re: pancake recipe please?

try this thread adam, dont know if it will help

-er, btw, arent you a bit late in the year for pancakes??

answer= ITS NEVER TOO LATE FOR PANCAKES!!

cross barer

thanks. Why when I search for pancakes, does a thread on yorkshire pudding come up but not this one?????

feel free to wipe this thread korn

Quote adam antichrist
    thanks. Why when I search for pancakes, does a thread on yorkshire pudding come up but not this one?????

feel free to wipe this thread korn
    Sometimes it seems to make a difference if you search for pancake or pancakes
    Often, the best thing is to search in titles only
    Sometimes computers just don't behave like we want them to...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

cross barer

I think I did the search in 'recipes' and not the whole food folder, in which case it would have come up. My fault after all...

PolluxStar

everytime I tried 2 make pancakes , I fucked it up!

Supposedly its taken MasterCook http://sbvdesigns.com/veg/recipes/blueberry.htm.

Blueberry Pancakes

Recipe By : Susan Voisin
    Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfasts Fatfree

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/4 cups flour -- (combination of whole wheat pastry flour and unbleached white)
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup soy milk
    1/2 tablespoon egg replacer -- mixed with
    2 tablespoons water
    2/3 cup blueberries

In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add milk and egg replacer and stir just until flour is moistened. Set aside for 5 minutes until the skillet is heated and stir in blueberries right before pouring.

Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat; spray lightly with non-stick spray, if necessary. Pour batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle, making a few pancakes at a time. Cook until tops are bubbly and bubbles burst; edges will look dry. With pancake turner, turn and cook until undersides are golden. Place on warm platter; keep warm.

Repeat until all batter is used, spraying with more non-stick coating, if necessary. Serve pancakes with syrup or other topping as desired.

Yield:
    "11 pancakes"
    they are to die for

Thumbs up Re: pancake recipe please?

I made pancakes this morning that were awesome -

I used Silk vanilla soymilk and maple syrup

From www.compassionatecooks.com

No-Fuss Pancakes

1 cup unbleached white flour (or split it and use half whole wheat flour)
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1-cup soymilk or rice milk
    2-1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 Tablespoons liquid sweetener, such as maple syrup, apple juice concentrate, barley malt, or rice syrup

Combine flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

Combine milk, 2 Tablespoons of the oil, and sweetener in a separate bowl.

Add milk mixture to flour mixture and mix just until moistened; a few lumps are okay. (Don’t overbeat, or pancakes will be tough.)

Heat a nonstick griddle or frying pan over medium high flame until a few drops of water drizzled onto it forms beads and bounces around. Pour remaining 1/2 Tablespoon of oil onto the griddle and heat until hot.

Pour batter onto the griddle to form circles about 4 inches in diameter. Cook the pancakes for a minute or 2 on one side. When bubbles appear on the surface, slide a spatula under the pancake and flip it over. Cook the pancakes on the other side for another 1 or 2 minutes. Continue until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes in all. Makes about 8 pancakes.

Variations: Try adding a handful of fresh blueberries, chopped peaches, pears, or apples, raisins, walnuts, pecans, or chocolate chips to your pancakes. A dash of cinnamon in the batter is nice, too.

Talking Re: Vegan pancakes

i absolutly love breakfast foods! ( i eat them all day!!!)

i buy a prepacaged vegan organic pancake mix by arrowhead mills. (usa)

they have whole wheat, maiz, kamut (yum!!)....many different varieties, all you add is soymilk.. (they suggest adding honey, i add organic cane sugar or nothing at all) and cooking oil of course!

(sometimes i add tropical source chocolate chips, or peanut butter!!)
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Talking Chocolate banana pancakes

This recipe has sort evolved from a plain multigrain pancake recipe that I used to make in my omni days (complete with yogurt and eggs). At this point, it is my own recipe. Despite being made from all whole grains, these are fairly light pancakes. I made these the last two days to the delight of my 2-yr. old son! They don't even require any maple syrup. Substitute flours around as you like, or applesauce for the banana. For a plain pancake, just omit the cocoa. Using soy milk powder, you can mix the dry ingredients together ahead of time and have "instant pancake mix" that only requires a banana and water to make. Realize, please, that I used to work in a professional bakery, so "~" measurements have been 'eyeballed'... they vary a little and according to my whims! --Sorry in advance!

Chocolate Banana Pancakes
    1 banana
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/4 cup oats (I normally use rolled oats for this)
    ~2 Tbsp cornmeal (sometimes dry polenta or even oat bran, if out of cornmeal)
    ~2 Tbsp dry sweetener (I use brown sugar)
    ~2-3 tsp baking powder
    ~2 tsp cinnamon (optional, but I always add it to mine)
    ~1/2 tsp salt (I sometimes forget this)
    cocoa... hmmm... ~1/4 cup? couldn't say... added it until the dry mix looked "chocolate-y" enough to me (and they were!!)
    ~1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional, and any nut, as you prefer)
    chocolate chips to taste (optional)
    milk of your choice, ~1 cup or so (I use soy milk normally)

Mash banana in a medium-sized bowl. Add all dry ingredients and stir well. Stir in milk until it reaches a good consistency... not too thick, not too thin. If you've made pancakes before, you know what I mean.

Cook as usual and enjoy! This recipe should make about 12 pancakes (my son can eat three of them!).
    If at first you don't succeed, laugh as you set it ablaze!

Default Re: Vegan pancakes

I made vegan crepes this weekend, and they were soooooooooooo good! A sinful indulgence (with this recipe) but worth it as a special treat

I got the recipe from AllRecipes.com:

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/VeganCrepes.asp

I used raspberry syrup instead of maple syrup, and when they were done I spread some keylime-mango fruit jelly on them. Delicious!

Next time, I'd like to substitute at least half of the soy margerine with apple sauce or something else, so that it's a bit healthier. Does anyone know what to substitute so that the crepes still have a good consistency?
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

ConsciousCuisine

I've made light and fluffy lower-fat crepes with silken tofu blended in

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I've made light and fluffy lower-fat crepes with silken tofu blended in
    Hmmm, how do you do that...do you substitute it for the margerine 1:1? Do you have the lower-fat crepe recipe on another thread? Thanks
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

hegerton

Default pancakes

it's coming up to that time of the year again and i was wondering if anyone had any good recipies for some pancakes

do you just use soy/rice milk and Nrgy egg repalcer?

help mucho appreciated

Default Re: pancakes

I have a recipe that I LOVE:
    2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 tbs ground flax (optional but very good)
    1 1/2 cups soy yogurt (or you can use applesauce, which is REALLY good too - i LOVE it with that)
    1 1/4 cups soymilk or as needed

combine all ingredients until well mixed and moist and make your pancakes! Top as you'd like!
    Peace Love Surf.

I made pancakes once before being vegan and once after...and both times mine were raw on the inside and uber burnt on the outside.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

All I do is mix soya milk and plain flour to a batter, maybe add a little sugar and a pinch of salt. It's the toppings that make up most of the flavour of pancakes as far as I'm concerned

I'm more of a French toast girl!

Talking Re: pancakes

Quote Tigerlily
    I'm more of a French toast girl!
    mmmmm....french toast.

your making me hungry lilly!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I feel like some right now!

a didgeridoo

Strangely enough I was thinking about making pancakes for breakfast this morning: had soya milk & flour to hand, but didn't know how to replace the egg in the conventional recipe. Sounds like you don’t need it to replace it with anything though, Twinkle?

Good sperm

My easy-as-pie pancake recipe is...
    1 cup flour
    1 cup soy milk
    2 tsp of baking powder
    Pinch salt
    Stir milk into flour/baking powder/salt mix but only until just mixed. DO NOT OVERSTIR!
    Leave for 20 mins, then place spoonfuls onto a medium-hot lightly oiled frying pan, cook until brown on one side (use a fish slice to peek underneath), flip over with fish slice and cook other side.
    I like mine with sliced banana and maple syrup

I just mix a cup of unbleached organic self-raising flour to a cup of soy milk. Add in 1/3 cup of soya margarine, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. The best pancakes i've ever had, and I made up the recipe too!! My boyfriend nags me to make them all the time.......we eat them at least 3 times a week!! I find using a non stick fry pan helps too, cooking on a medium-high heat............no oil needed. Yummmmm i'ma go make me some now.

Default Good whole wheat pancakes?

Does anyone have a really good whole wheat vegan pancake recipe to share? I have tried various wheat pancake recipes, but they always turn out really heavy and they refuse to cook in the middle. If you have one that incorporates flax, wheat germ, or other grains or seeds, that would be awesome!
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 18th, 2006 at 08:09 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Good whole wheat pancakes?

this is the one i use -

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1 cup soymilk
    1 T baking powder
    pinch salt
    2 T maple syrup
    2 T olive oil

Mix dry ingredients together, then make a well in the center for the wet ingredients. stir until combined. let pancake batter sit out for 10-15 minutes (or longer!) for the batter to rise and puff up in the bowl. pour desired amount (around 1/2 cup) into a hot non-stick pan greased with olive oil. cook over medium heat until rises. peak under the pancake and see if the pan side is turning brown. when it is brown, flip over and cook for 1-2 more minutes.

this recipe is good with ground almonds, few T flax seed, 1 cup blueberries, etc. blended in. chocolate chips work too.

Default Re: Good whole wheat pancakes?

Are you looking for crepe-style pancakes or thick diner style?

For the former chick pea or buckwheat flour is quite good - I guess you could add any other grains you want. For the latter I have a good recipe containing banana as an egg substitute. Let me know what kind you want...

PainterLady

Thank you! I too, always use banana as a sub for eggs. It works perfectly in pancake mix too.