Thread: Vegetable Soup with flavour

Default Vegetable Soup with flavour

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone had a simple recipe for a good vegetable soup and how to make (cooking time, spices to make it taste good, oil, etc.). I tried to make some soup from scratch years ago and it was such a mess I haven't tried since. I do remember cooking it for hours and hours and hours, but it still didn't have much flavour. Any suggestions? Thanks

Default Re: Vegetable Soup with flavour

Hi Rach,
    I've been experimenting with soups too, and I find that a little barley miso, or wakame added early on can really help. Go careful with the wakame though as it's pretty strong and can take some getting used to. Swede (not sure if you get that there) is also is a great veg for a nice sweet soup.
    The other thing that I find really important is to cook it slooowww. Don't boil, keep it _just_ off simmering. I tend to do this on and off for about 6 hrs, with the rest of the time a really low temp.

A typical process for me would be:
    leeks & celery gently sauted in a little olive oil for about 10mins
    add herbs (sage, rosemary maybe) & black pepper
    stir into coat veg.
    Add chopped carrots, swede, potato , little cabbage + stir in
    water to cover twice over
    bring to simmer
    add 2 tsp barley miso, or a small handful of wakame
    a handful of dried red lentils and a handful of rolled oats
    cook slowly as detailed above.

Good luck!
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote rach71
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone had a simple recipe for a good vegetable soup and how to make (cooking time, spices to make it taste good, oil, etc.). I tried to make some soup from scratch years ago and it was such a mess I haven't tried since. I do remember cooking it for hours and hours and hours, but it still didn't have much flavour. Any suggestions? Thanks

Soups are easy and once you know how you will probably find you cook them at least once a week.
    I find the right stock makes all the difference. I use Marigold Veggie Boillion.
    Make sure it is the vegan one not containing lactose as lactose is milk sugar. Check the ingredients list.
    Also a trick is that you can use a potato masher to make them soft once you have cooked them a while. Don't add salt or stock till near the end as it inhibits the cooking of pulses including lentils.
    http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?soup
    for vegan soup recipes
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

The green Marigold stock is not vegan! It contains lactose.

I use the purple reduced salt one that is vegan.
    http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/579366.html

The orange organic one is vegan too.
    http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/579618.html
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote rach71
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone had a simple recipe for a good vegetable soup
    Saute 2 onions in a tablespoon olive oil;
    Add a cup washed red lentils and 2 chopped carrots;
    Add about a pint and a half of water and bring to simmer;
    cook on medium till lentils are soft; (should be about 30 minutes)
    season to taste with stock or salt and pepper; cook for another 5 or 10 minutes; mash with a potato masher and serve. Leftovers store well.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Tom Yam paste is a (usually) vegan Thai sour/spicy soup base for noodle and veg. Quick and easy for 1 or more.

Masaman is another thai paste (check for prawn) that makes a dreamy pumpkin soup. Boil chunks, throw in some cashew for richness, whiz it all up

Got a slow-cooker or heavy-bottom pot? Split pea is silky divine if the soaked peas are allowed a very low temp over a long time, 4-6 hours.
    Barely a bubble coming to the surface is the rule... doesn't need much tarting up after that perhaps fine chopped carrot and celery salt pepper

Smoky bean: tinned or homemade beans (pinto, borlotti best) wizzed up with either smoked paprika, or chilpotle chillie, or even fake bakon bits, along with soya and a bit of tom puree (paste).
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Thanks for the ideas! I dont think the marigold is available in Canada, I haven't seen it and I checked online and it was all in UK prices. I will definitely try the other recipes - 6 hrs simmering sounds familiar. I'll experiment and see what I can come up with.

Seaside

Some good things to have on hand for tasty soup:
    Liquid Smoke, which is especially good in sweeter soups like corn chowders.
    Wines, red or white, depending on what your soup is made of. Don't worry about the alcohol, it boils off and just leaves the flavor.
    Garlic and onions!
    Sauteeing freshly cracked peppercorns before you add your other ingredients really makes a difference in the flavor.

I recently discovered that a tablespoon (depending on size of soup made) of whole grain mustard adds a fantastic flavour to soup. It makes it kind of sweet. I don't really like mustard on its own, but added to soup is fairly wonderful.

Vegetable Soup

• 1 med yellow onion, sweet yellow prefered
    • 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    • 4 cloves of Fresh garlic
    • 1 can swanson veg broth
    • 2 cans crushed iltian stewed tomatoes
    • 1 can reg stewed tomatoes
    • 20 oz water
    • 2 tbsp of raw sugar
    • 2 large carrots peeled chopped
    • 4 to 5 med Potatoes peeled chopped
    • 2 cans green beans
    In non stick stock pot add olive oil and chopped onion saute until translucent and tender add veggie stock 2 cans iltian tomatoes and 1 can of reg stewed tomatoes, water and garlic, bring to a boil over med heat with lid for about 30 min add potatoes and carrots lower heat to med low and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

All these ideas sound great, thanks - and I love mustard, I never thought of using that for flavour.

i always add mustard, soy sauce and liquid smoke for flavour. aswell as nutritional yeast. and organic vegetable boullion cubes if we have them. and lots of spices, sea salt and pepper. and then whatever veggies i fancy aswell as anything else such as beans, lentils or brown rice.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

tabitha

Foxy - what is liquid smoke?

Seaside

A liquid seasoning made from Hickory Smoke concentrate which imparts a distince smokey flavor to foods. Use sparingly as liquid smoke is very concentrated and a few drops can go a long way. You can buy it in most grocery stores in the barbeque and steak sauce section.

mmmm im making a vegetable soup right now. its got celery, kale, onion, carrots, tomato, water, a vegetable boullion cube, liquid smoke, mustard, beans in tomato sauce, green beans, tomato sauce, brown rice and lentils. ill add thyme, marjoram, garlic, sea salt, pepper, and im not sure what other spices.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I make a huge pot of veg soup each week so that I have it on hand for quick lunches (saves on the food bill, too). This what I typically put in it:
    1 jar soup base (this is a tomato base with bell peppers, onion and italian seasoning that I can from my garden veggies. You could use a half cup tomato paste, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 TBS italian seasoning and 1/2 chopped bell pepper instead)

3 carrots, sliced

3 stalks celery, sliced

5 red potatoes, chopped

1 small rutabaga, diced

1 cup fresh green beans

1 head cauliflower

3 cups (cooked) mild beans (like kidney beans, garbanzo, etc).

2 Vegan bullion cubes

2 cans stewed tomatoes

I sauté the carrots and celery until they begin to soften. I then combine them in a stock pot with the potatoes and rutabaga. I pour in the jar of soup base, add the bullion, then add enough water to cover the veggies. Once they all start to get soft, I add the rest of the ingredients, add enough water (or broth if I have it) and cook until the cauliflower is soft.

I also like to add a 1/2 cup of sweet wine and fresh herbs to the soup now and then to "dress" it up. It's great with a nice piece of crusty bread. You can also make it into a "stew" by reducing the amount of water added.

Thanks Karma (and everyone else!), that sounds great.

all from The Art of Cooking With Miso

creamy corn soup

2 medium leeks
    2 t canola or sesame oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 t sea salt
    5 c water
    3 c frozen or cooked fresh corn kernels
    1/8 t black pepper
    3 T corn miso or other sweet/mellow miso
    minced fresh cilantro for garnish

cut off and discard the root and the dark green fibrous portion of the leeks. slice each leek lengthwise, cutting through only to the center (not all the way through). wash carefully to remove any soil that may be trapped between the leaves. cut the leeks into 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
    heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over low heat. add the garlic and saute for 1 minute or until just beginning to soften. do not brown.
    add the leeks and salt, stirring briefly to coat with oil. increase the heat to medium, add the water, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the leeks are tender. stir in the corn and pepper, and continue to simmer for 2 minutes.
    carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the miso and blend until pureed. (blending hot soup can be dangerous. don't fill the blender more than half full) pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
    return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with cilantro before serving.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

Where do you find all these recipes, Goodbye Girl?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

potato leek chowder with roasted garlic

2 heads of garlic
    3 medium leeks
    1 T olive oil
    4 medium potatoes, diced
    1/2 t sea salt
    5 1/2 c water
    1/8 t black pepper
    1 T finely chopped fresh thyme. ot 1/2 t dried
    1/4 c sweet white miso
    chopped chives for garnish
    croutons for garnish

with a werrated knife, cut off and discard the root end of each head of garlic, wrap the heads in foil, and bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes. remove from the oven, unwrap, and allow to cool for about 15 minutes. squeeze the roasted garlic from the individual cloves and set aside.
    while the garlic is roasting, cut off and discard the root and the dark green fibrous portion of the leeks. slice each leek lengthwise, cutting through only to the center (not all the way through). wash carefuly to remove any soil that may be trappen between the leaves. cut the leeks into 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
    heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the leeks, potatoes, and salt, and saute for about 2 minutes, or until the leeks begin to soften. add the water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper. cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
    carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the thyme, roasted garlic, and miso and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
    return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with chives and croutons before serving.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

2 heads of garlic
    3 medium leeks
    1 T olive oil
    4 medium potatoes, diced
    1/2 t sea salt
    5 1/2 c water
    1/8 t black pepper
    1/4 c sweet white miso
    croutons for garnish

with a werrated knife, cut off and discard the root end of each head of garlic, wrap the heads in foil, and bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes. remove from the oven, unwrap, and allow to cool for about 15 minutes. squeeze the roasted garlic from the individual cloves and set aside.
    while the garlic is roasting, cut off and discard the root and the dark green fibrous portion of the leeks. slice each leek lengthwise, cutting through only to the center (not all the way through). wash carefuly to remove any soil that may be trappen between the leaves. cut the leeks into 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
    heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the leeks, potatoes, and salt, and saute for about 2 minutes, or until the leeks begin to soften. add the water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper. cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
    carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the thyme, roasted garlic, and miso and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
    return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with chives and croutons before serving.

Yummm, these all sound so good!
    My mother is coming down for a visit in a few weeks, and every time i ask her: "Would you like me to cook anything special for you?" And every time she says; "Soup."
    Guess what kind I'll be making this time??
    I think I'll try KarmaGirl's recipe!! Sounds delightful!!
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

Did you not see my post, Goodbye Girl?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    Did you not see my post, Goodbye Girl?
    yes i did, i'm just a snob.
    just kidding. no, i'm sorry, i didn't see it. i get all of the recipes from a bunch of cookbooks that i have. i love to cook, i do it every day, so i have loads and loads of recipes. right now i am just doing a bit of housecleaning. i am getting rid of all the cookbooks and cooking magazines i own that have big animal sections in them. i am keeping all of the good vegan recipes out of them on this site so that i can keep making them and i won't lose them like i would if i wrote them on paper. i try to post the name of the book i am using on each thread, if not each recipe, so you can look into the book if you want to find more recipes in it. i only put up the recipes that i use, so there are always a lot more that i leave out.

french onion soup

1 T olive oil
    4 medium to large yellow or red bermuda onions, halved and thinly sliced into half moons
    1/2 t sea salt
    5-6 c shiitake stock
    2 bay leaves
    3 T red, brown rice, or barley miso, or 1/4 c mellow white miso
    2 T chopped fresh thyme
    1/8 t pepper
    garlic croutons for garnish

heat the oil in a 6 quart pot over medium heat. add the onions and salt and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft and translucent. cover and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 40 minutes or until the onions are browned and the juices have begun to caramelize on the bottom of the pan. if necessary to prevent burning, reduce the heat to medium-low while the onion cooks.
    when most of the liquid from the onions has evaporated and the bottom of the pot is covered with a brown natural-caramel glaze, add 3 cups of the stock. using a wooden spoon, scrape the caramelized sugars from the bottom of the pot and stir until it is dissolved in the broth.
    add the bay leaves an 2 more cups of the stock, and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes. if the soup is too thick, add a little more stock.
    dissolve the miso in some of the broth and add it to the soup. stir in the thyme and pepper, and simmer 1 minute more. remove and discard the bay leaf. garnish with croutons before serving.

if you don't have Madras curry powder, just try using whatever type you do have.

creamy carrot curry soup

1 T olive oil
    1 large onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 medium to large carrots, sliced
    1/4 t sea salt
    2 1/2 c water
    14 oz can coconut milk
    2 t Madras curry powder
    1/8 t black pepper
    2 T sweet or mellow miso
    2 T grated carrot

heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent. add the carrots and salt, and sauté another 2 minutes.
    stir in the water and coconut milk, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat ot medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. add the curry and pepper and continue to simmer another 2 minutes.
    carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the miso and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
    return the pureed soup to the pot, stir in the grated carrot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. serve hot.

creamy celery soup

1 T canola oil
    1 medium to large sweet onion, minced
    6 stalks celery, diced
    1/4 t salt
    5 c shiitake stock
    2 T sesame tahini
    3 T sweet or mellow miso
    2 T kuzu
    1/8 t pepper
    chopped parsley for garnish

heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the onion, celery, and salt, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent. add the stock, increase the heat and bring to a boil.
    combine the tahini and miso with some of the stock, then add it to the pot. reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and gently simmer about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
    dissolve the kuzu in 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water and stir into the soup. continue stirring for about 3 minutes, or until the soup returns to a simmer and begins to thicken. stir in the pepper, and simmer another minute. garnish with parsley before serving.

sweet onions, such as vidalia or red bermuda, are the verieties of choice. keep in mind that the lemon juice will turn the broccoli brown, so add it just before serving.

cream of vegetable soup with roasted garlic

2 heads of garlic
    1 large stalk broccoli
    1 T olive oil
    2 medium onions, diced
    3 medium carrots, diced
    1/2t sea salt
    5 1/2 c water
    1/8 t pepper
    1/4 c sweet or mellow white miso
    2 T sesame tahini
    1 T fresh lemon juice
    minced parsley for garnish
    croutons for garnish

with a serrated knife cut off and discard the root end of each head of garlic, wrap the heads in foil, and bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes. squeeze out the individual roasted garlic cloves and set aside.
    while the garlic is roasting, cut the broccoli head from the stalk. peel the stalk and cut into 1/2 inch slices. cut the head into bite-size pieces. set aside.
    the the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the broccoli, onions, carrots, and salt, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. add the water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper. cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
    carefully ladle some of the soup onto a blender until it is half full. add the miso and tahini, and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue ot blend the remaining soup.
    return the pureed soup to the pot, stir in the lemon juice, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with parsley and croutons before serving.

cream of scallion soup

3 c scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
    5 c shiitake stock
    1/4 t salt
    1/8 t pepper
    3 T sweet or mellow miso
    croutons for garnish

bring the stock to a boil in a 4 quart pot. add the scallions and return to a boil. reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the scallions are very soft. stir in the salt and pepper.
    carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the miso and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
    return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with croutons before serving.

creamy squash soup with coconut milk

2 medium leeks
    2 t canola or sesame oil
    3 c cubed butternut or acorn squash
    1/4 t sea salt
    2 1/2 c water
    14 oz can coconut milk
    1/8 t black pepper
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 T ginger juice
    3 T sweet white miso
    minced parsley for garnish

cut off and discard the root and the dark green fibrous portion of the leeks. slice each leek lengthwise, cutting through only ot the center, not all the way through. wash carefully ot remove any soil that may be trapped between the leaves. cut the leeks into 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
    heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the leeks, squash, and salt, stirring briefly to coat with oil, and sauté for 1 minute. add the water and coconut milk and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper and cinnamon. cover and simmer about 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender. remove the cinnamon stick.
    carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add the ginger juice and miso, and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue ot blend the remaining soup.
    return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with parsley before serving.

this soup is great for guests because the roasted garlic gives it a gourmet flavor and with the croutons and chives flowting on top it has an elegant apperance as well.

2 heads of garlic
    3 medium leeks
    1 T olive oil
    4 medium potatoes, diced
    1/2 t sea salt
    5 1/2 c water
    1/8 t black pepper
    1/4 c sweet white miso
    croutons for garnish

with a serrated knife, cut off and discard the root end of each head of garlic, wrap the heads in foil, and bake in a 300 degree oven for 45 minutes. remove from the oven, unwrap, and allow to cool for about 15 minutes. squeeze the roasted garlic from the individual cloves and set aside.
    while the garlic is roasting, cut off and discard the root and the dark green fibrous portion of the leeks. slice each leek lengthwise, cutting through only to the center (not all the way through). wash carefully to remove any soil that may be trapped between the leaves. cut the leeks into 1/4 inch slices and set aside.
    heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the leeks, potatoes, and salt, and sauté for about 2 minutes, or until the leeks begin to soften. add the water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper. cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.

when using fresh corn in this soup be sure to use the cooking water as your stock.

creamy carrot & fennel soup with fresh dill

2 medium fennel bulbs
    1 T canola or sesame oil
    1 medium onion, diced
    1/2 t sea salt
    2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
    5 c water
    1/8 t black pepper
    2 T chopped fresh dill
    3 T sweet or mellow miso
    chopped fennel or dill leaves for garnish

pull off a few handfuls of the fennel’s green, feathery fronds, coarsely chop, and set aside. cut off and discard the stalks, leaving only the bulbs. lying each bulb on its side trim a thin slice off the root end and discard. continue to thinly slice the bulbs and set aside.
    heat the oil in a 4 quart pot over medium heat. add the onion and salt, and sauté for about 3 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent. add the carrots and fennel, and sauté 2 minutes more.
    stir in the water, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the pepper. cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
    carefully ladle some of the soup into a blender until it is half full. add about 2 tablespoons of the chopped fennel leaves, dill, and miso, and blend until pureed. pour the puree into a large bowl, and continue to blend the remaining soup.
    return the pureed soup to the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat until heated through. garnish with chopped fennel leaves before serving.

This is a soup from Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" it has absolutely no salt and about 2100 calories in this HUGE batch, but it's SO filling and creamy and you don't miss the salt at all! Mmmm! I've only made it once so far and it does take a bit of time but I froze it in four parts and defrost one every week and it's good for four big bowls per part. Oh, and it requires a high speed blender

Dr. Fuhrman's Famous Anti-Cancer Soup

Serves 10 (More like 16, in my experience)

1 cup dried split peas and/or beans (I used lentils)
    4 medium onions (mine were more like large)
    6-10 zucchini (I used 9 medium ones)
    3 stalks leeks
    5 lbs carrots
    2 bunches celery
    1 cup raw cashews
    1 package mushrooms, any type (I used at least twice this. Gives you something to chew on.)

Place the beans and 4 cups of water in a very large pot and start cooking them, covered, on the lowest flame possible. (I actually cooked it on medium as low wasn't doing anything.) Take the outer skins off the onions and place them in the covered pot. Do not cut them up, put them in whole. Add the zucchini, uncut. Cut the bottom roots off the leeks and slice them up the side so each leaf can be thoroughly washed, because leeks have lots of dirt hidden inside. Throw away the last inch at the green top. Then place the entire leek (leaves uncut) into the pot. Juice the carrots and celery in a juice extractor. Add the juice to the pot. (This smells really gross when it first goes in and as it's cooking but once it's cooked it's so good.) While the soup is simmering, chop up the mushrooms. By the time you get to this stage, the zucchini, leeks and onions should be soft.

The next step only works if you have a Vita-Mix, a powerful blender, or a food processor. Ladle some of the liquid from the pot into the machine. Use tongs to remove the soft onions, zucchini, and leeks. Be careful to leave the beans in the bottle of the pot. In a few separate batches, completely blend together the onions, zucchini, and leeks. Add more soup liquid and the cashews to the mixture, and blend in. Return the blended, creamy mix back to the pot. Add the mushrooms. Simmer another 20 minutes.

Mmm!

Vegetable Broth

Ok it's an old thread but I thought I'd add this recipe. I make this alot throughout the winter.

Ingredients

about 1 and a quarter cups of red lentils (washed)
    1 cup barley (washed)
    1 large leek (chopped)
    1 potato (chopped)
    1kg carrots (cleaned with ends chopped off - you can grate these or leave them whole and use the cheats method below)
    1 parsnip
    a handful of parsley
    3 pints of vegetable stock (or just use water, the veg gives it flavour)
    sea salt to taste
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Use the vegetable oil in the pot to stop things sticking to the bottom.

Fill your pot with your vegetable stock, barley, lentils, carrots, potato and parsnip. Stir and allow pot to boil and then cover and simmer until carrots and parsnips are soft.

If using cheat method - When carrots are soft, retrieve them from the pot and mash them then return to the pot.

Add leeks and parsley to pot, stir, allow to boil and then simmer for 15 - 20 mins.

Add salt to taste and you are done.

You can eat this straight away but I find it always tastes even better after being allowed to sit overnight. If you are doing that make sure you store the pot in a cold place and when heating make sure to heat it all the way through.

Mmmm - I love barley in soup

my mum used to use barley in soups and stews but i've never used it. reminds me too much of meat.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    my mum used to use barley in soups and stews but i've never used it. reminds me too much of meat.
    och thats ashame, I loves the stuff

I think cabbage is lovely in vegetable soup, as it gives it a special cabbage flavour that everyone likes.

Cabbage and bean soup:
    200 grams dry white or pinto beans (or a mix)
    1 large onion, or 2 small
    6 cloves of garlic
    1 large carrot
    1 large red bell pepper
    2 stalks celery
    500-600 grams cabbage (about half of a small head)
    2 cubes vegetable stock
    4 cups water

Soak the beans overnight or for at least six hours. Leave to cook, for about 45 minutes, while the rest ot the soup is prepared. Cut the onions in half and slice them. Finely chop the garlic. Half the carrot, chop it and chop the celery. Dice or slice the bell pepper. Sauté the vegetables in a large soup pot. Add water and stock cubes. While bringing to a boil, wash the cabbage, cut out the stem and chop in slices. Add to the soup along with cooked beans and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Add more water if necessary.

personally i like adding lots of green leafy veg, but not cooking the veggies very long...i then just blend it all up to make it liquid..i think the longer you cook veggies, the less flavour they have
    Piggy

farro is a very healthy grain, sometimes labeled spelt. you can get coarse ground farro at italian food shops and health food stores. to make this simple soup delicious use very good, fresh ingredients.

VEGETABLE SOUP WITH GROUND FARRO

5T olive oil
    2 leeks, including 1" of the green tops, chopped
    1 carrot, peeled and minced
    1 celery stalk, with leaves, minced
    2T minced fresh italian parsley
    1c ground farro
    2 1/2 quarts flavorful broth
    sea salt

in a large saucepan or soup pot warm the olive oil over medium heat. stir in the vegetables and parsley and saute slowly until softened, about 10 minutes. now stir in the farro and then pour in the broth. simmer uncovered, until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes. season with salt.