Thread: Process of being vegan...

Red face Process of being vegan...

I'am in the process of becoming vegan, but I've been vegetarian for seven months now. I've been doing research on how it affects the food I eat, the clothes I wear/buy etc.

I'am 18 and going to college part-time in September, and working when I can. My parents will be helping me with tuition and some living expenses, but they said it will be to expensive for me to be vegan.

I have been going through my room and getting rid of anything that has been at the expense of animals. I buy alot of makeup, hair products etc. I have reasearched companies and contacted some of them through e-mail, but I have noticed that I'am paying a bit more money then just the whole sale prices now.

My parents say I won't be able to do it, I half to buy my own laundry detergent, cleaning products, some of my food. I just need to know if anyone else was in this position? I'am doing this and thats the only option for me because it makes me sick just thinking about all the horrible things animals suffer for on our behalf.

I feel like I'am getting no support from my family, when they should be giving me support because I'am trying to make a difference.

Default Re: Process of being vegan...

Well, generally, I have found Vegan food to be cheaper. Some of the ready meals and meat replacements can be more expensive, but eating fresh fruit and veg is cheaper than buying meat.

I have also found that you need less of Vegan cosmetics than you do of normal-chemical loaded ones. I use less shampoo and shower gel now, even if it is more expensive. Places like Holland and Barrett sell cheaper cosmetics.

As for cleaning products, sadly they are more expensive.

Your parents probably won't be convinced. Maybe just compare your food with theirs on receipts to see if it works out cheaper and use that to justify the extra expense of Vegan products. But...

Essentially, Veganism is a really personal choice of lifestyle, you have to do what you feel best. Most people would agree that it is all about doing what you can, so do just that. Change everything you can, but don't beat yourself up about what you can't do.

Hi, Laurin.

First thing I will suggest to you is not to stress out right away about all the seemingly millions of stuff you have to change. Take things slowly. Start out with veganising your food. And as your toiletries (hair care products, soaps, detergents, etc) run out, replace them. But from my experience, it will only stress you out if you try to do everything all at once.

Good luck!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Hi Laurin

Vegan food can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be. Try looking for 'normal' food that also just happens to be vegan, like bread, spagetti, soups, beans, canned & fresh veg, canned & fresh fruit, fries, frozen nut roasts etc. Something simple like a tofu stir fry can be very cheap if you make it all yourself.

As for cleaning, try searching the web for alternatives - you'd be amazed at what you can do with a bit of lemon, vinegar and bicarbonate of soda! I'm not sure about laundry detergent though, in the UK I use everything from the Co-op which is a supermarket whose own brand products are approved by the BUAV. Can you check the stores in your locality and see what their policies are? Or maybe see if you can get things cheaper on the internet?

When I first went veggie, my Dad insisted that he wouldn't buy anything special for me. Within a few months (when he realised I was serious) he was coming back from the weekly shop proudly showing me the veggie burgers he'd found on offer

Good luck, and don't get bogged down by the seemingly huge task. It gets easier as you learn what products are around, and nothing will beat the satisfaction you get from knowing you're doing the right thing

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

hi, i'm a student and buy tescos own brand washing up liquid and it says on the back with a picture f a bunny -NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS and tesco own brand is as cheap as chips! I think all/most of tescos own stuff is not tested on animals and sainsburys too!

I have very little money to spend on fod a week being a uni student and can spend £20 on food for the week i've got good at buying on a budget! Ways to make things cheaper is by getting a clubcard and they give u vouchers for how many points u've got- this month i got £5.50 worth of vouchers from my mum and £3 ofmy own- every little helps!

Well done to Tescos and Sainsburys for not testing on animals but most of that stuff does contain animal derived ingredients. The co op is the best place for cruelty free cleaning products although their fabric softener is not vegan but everything is clearly labelled on the packaging. For general cleaning I make a solution of half white vinegar and half water and use it from a spray bottle. It cuts through grime better than shop bought cleaners.

Maisiepaisie - I was going to mention the same thing about Tesco

BUAV has a great site http://www.buav.org/campaigns/household/stains.html that lists all supermarkets and well known brands, and their policies on animal testing. They don't approve of any supermarket except Co-op.

Also surprised to see they don't approve of Ecover either, as they have a rolling policy of not using ingrediants tested within the last 5 years - not good enough.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

what animal derived ingredients are in them then?

Quote Tigerlily
    Hi, Laurin.

First thing I will suggest to you is not to stress out right away about all the seemingly millions of stuff you have to change. Take things slowly. Start out with veganising your food. And as your toiletries (hair care products, soaps, detergents, etc) run out, replace them. But from my experience, it will only stress you out if you try to do everything all at once.

Good luck!
    Laurin, this is great advice. I am in the process just as you are. I have converted my diet completely. As far as cosmetics, soaps, hair care, cleaners. I'm using up what I have and buying vegan brands as I run out. I would go broke if I tried to do it all at once. Best of luck to you!!!

Quote Maisiepaisie
    For general cleaning I make a solution of half white vinegar and half water and use it from a spray bottle. It cuts through grime better than shop bought cleaners.
    Just like Kim and Aggie
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote RedWellies
    Just like Kim and Aggie
    Kim and Aggie are great and I love their programme. Can I also recommend scrunched up newspaper for cleaning windows (after spraying with vinegar solution) for a streak free finish

Quote Maisiepaisie
    Can I also recommend scrunched up newspaper for cleaning windows (after spraying with vinegar solution) for a streak free finish
    I use newspaper or coffee filters. I use the vinegar solution from time to time but sometimes I cannot stand the smell....and it seems to linger.

I'd deffo second the advice on homemade cleaners. Its a far more ethical and holistic way to clean your home anyway as you get to avoid all those nitrates, phosphates and other hideous toxic stuff. This is not only better for the environment but better for you in terms of the toxicity of your house and living environment.

I can recommend a book to you that you may find useful, it's called Better Basics for the Home by Annie Berthold Bond. There are a zillion recipes in there from oven cleaner to homemade bath bombs and facial scrub. Not all the recipes are vegan but she does explain what all the weird ingredients are, where they are derived from, so you can avoid animal products and she has usually one or two different recipes to try for each purpose.

The ingredients most commonly used are 1) white vinegar which you can buy in bulk from cash and carry stores and asian supermarkets (or in smaller bottles in sainsburys), 2) bicarbonate of soda which you can get in bulk (1-5kg) online so's its cheaper, 3) liquid castille soap - a good brand is Dr Bronners (google it) 4) vegetable beased liquid detergent - Bio-D are very ecological and ALL their stuff is vegan, and 5) essential oils: Tea tree is antibacterial and antifungal, Lavender is also an antiseptic, lemon and orange oil are good for dusting - a few drops in a cup of water sprayed on a cloth is all you need.

If you'd like any info on the best cleaners or any tried and tested tips, I'd be more than happy to help Just drop me a line.

I'm in the process of veganising my lifestyle too (the diet bit was easy!), and haven't found it to be any more expensive, infact, its been cheaper. I am however, wearing out my old non-vegan stuff before I replace it as we really don't have that much money to spare, plus I try to reduce, re-use and recycle as much as possible too. My li'l boy has just outgrown his leather slippers and will be getting some cow-friendly vegan ones next week (exciting!) Good luck with your quest, hope your folks become a little more sympathetic

Hannah xxx

Quote RedWellies
    Just like Kim and Aggie
    Kim and Aggie! They are those blonde-haired cleaning women on TV, right? If so, I love them!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    They are those blonde-haired cleaning women on TV, right? !
    Yes
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Thank-you so much everyone, it's been really helpful.

a didgeridoo

Really helpful advice on homemade cleaners -- cheers!

Also, you may have Method brand products in Canada, they are sold at Target here in the States. All Method products are vegan except the drier sheets (says Vegerarian Times this month ) They are cheap and smell nice. They make cleaning, laundry and bath (shampoo, body wash) products. Check out the site below, they are really cool looking and smell great too.

I hardly ever buy cleaning products. I use Orange Oil or just good old dish soap and water to clean everything. I do buy Earth Friendly Products Laundry soap and dish soap, but it lasts forever as you use less.

For shower soap, I get body wash on sale but I like bar soap with lots of chunks of dried lavander in it. They are more expensive bars out there, but again, they last for months. Sometimes I put that out instead of liquid handsoap, but I like method handsoap.

Watch for sales, my local co-op has cleaning product sales every April (for sping cleaning).

http://www.methodhome.com/

www.ecos.com

on edit - Method has a starter kit you can order online. It includes -

This 6-piece kit includes:
    all-purpose spray cleaner
    dish soap
    biodegradable wipes
    hand wash
    triple-concentrated laundry detergent
    dryer sheets (only product not vegan, but you could give to your parents if they order it for you)

$24.99 USD

Most people probably don't realize these are vegan, since they are not sold at HFS, but Target, wallmart, etc.

From the Method Site -

Animal Ingredients
    Do any of method's products contain animal ingredients and/or by-products?

All of method's products are animal-free (including our liquid fabric softener, which contains canola oil instead of tallow) with the exception of the dryer sheets, which do in fact contain tallow.

Animal Testing
    Does method test its products or any of its raw materials on animals?

The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics defines animal testing as "all testing of finished household products, or any one or more ingredients or formulations used in the manufacturing or production of such products in which whole non-human animals are the test subjects, including without limitation, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and non-human mammals. Animal testing excludes in vitro tests or tests conducted completely with human volunteers."

method's products have and continue to be free of animal testing. Our commitment can be traced all the way back to the raw materials' suppliers of method's products. The CCIC (Leaping Bunny Organization) awarded method the Certificate of Appreciation for our cruelty-free stance, and we have signed the Corporate Standard of Compassion for Animals, which is affiliated with PETA, along with other national animal protection groups. method can be found listed on PETA's website as well as in their current Shopping Guide for Caring Consumers.

Thanx!
    ▼Laurin▼

Yogini

Laurin,

I'm a disabled full time student on a very limited income. It is possible to be vegan under those circumstances. You just have to make compromises and decide where your priorities are. For example, I pretty much never travel. Not even to see family on holidays. I rarely buy new clothes and only what I really need (e.g. a new sweater in fall to replace a worn out one.) My laptop is on it's last legs but most likely won't be replaced until this fall. But my kitchen is stocked with yummy vegan food and vegan, non-toxic cleaning products.

It's possible to live very cheaply as a vegan by subsisting on beans, rice, and fresh fruit and veggies. But, in my opinion, that's not much fun. I enjoy cooking and eating exotic and sumptious food so I allow myself to do so regularly. It means giving up things I'd also like to have or do, but as I said, you need to understand where your priorities are.

Good luck.

i've found vegan hair gel and shampoo at big lots (do you have big lots or dollar general stores in canada?)
    as for cleaning supplies, heck you can do a lot of cleaning with nothing more than white vinegar and baking soda.

CHRISMITH
    What was the name of the vegan hairgel and shampoo you found at Big Lots? I shop there regularly.

Thanks!

Quote laurin
    Thank-you so much everyone, it's been really helpful.
    Laurin, Tell us what area you are studying in and the others can tell you where to shop cheaply. I am in UK so I can't help with that.
    I was veggie (not vegan) when I was a student (a long time ago) and I did not find it any more expensive. I ate a lot of baked potatoes, baked beans, vegetables, brown rice, lentil soup and supernoodles. I lived on a goverment grant (alas such days of student grants are gone). I also joined a bulk buy food co-op for cheap rice and lentils! I also ate with other veggie friends, saving money by cooking for a few of us. We took turns to cook.
    I recommend seeking out other veggies or vegans in your town to shop and cook with, it saves money. I also ate out cheap at the student union, which did not have franchises then so was very cheap.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I live in British Columbia, Canada!
    ▼Laurin▼

coney

Quote laurin

I'am 18 and going to college part-time in September, and working when I can. My parents will be helping me with tuition and some living expenses, but they said it will be too expensive for me to be vegan.

It's so cheap to be vegan. Beans, grains, nuts/seeds, veg, and fruit are so inexpensive. A bag of beans is a buck, and you can always find cans of veggies and beans on sale. The bulk food sections are so great for dry and healthy vegan foods.

You can go the Organic Vegan route, which gets pricey, but if you're on a budget, just pick up the regular non organic stuff. You can eat for a week on less than $20.

The money you save on food, you can just put in a coffee can for shampoos and soaps. That stuff lasts a while anyway, and you can always add a bit of water to your shampoo to make it go farther, if you're in a pinch.

haniska, when i get home (i'm at a cafe now) i'll look and post the name~!

I think being vegan can one of the most economical ways to live, really. Good quality meat and fish can be very expensive, not to mention organic.

Here's my list of cheap easy made vegan foods:

- brown rice
    - canned beans
    - tofu (regular and baked)
    - tofurky slices
    - olive oil
    - fresh veggies and fruit
    - peanut and almond butters
    - whole grain bread and crackers
    - soy or rice milk
    - ground veggie meat
    - tomato sauce
    - pasta
    - oatmeal
    - vegan margarine
    - vegetable broth
    - coconut milk (cream replacer in sauces)

Bying organic produce on sale is a great way to save money.

Cleaning Products:

- homemade water/vinegar solution (you can add a few drops of peppermint essential oil for a fresh scent!).
    - vegan dishwashing soap (can be used for floors, windows, and zillion other purposes.)
    - get a good quality squeegee which can be used cleaning windows, mirrors, showerstalls etc. No paper needed.
    - washable cleaning cloths.

I own an environmentally friendly janitorial company, so this is my area of expertize.

Hope it helps.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

ok haniska its called down under naturals. its got a koala bear on it. looking at the ingredients, it may not be vegan (damn!) but its definately not tested on animals.
    its got urea in it and if i'm not mistaken, that's pee. ewww.

Thanks for looking chrismith!

If you live in Vancouver, there is always Choices (grocery store) on W. 16th and about MacDonald. Very good selection and cheaper than your yuppie veggie places like the one at W.4th and Vine. RIP-OFF!

I've had more problems buying makeup and hair care products. I've always used alot of both, and I have been cutting down but I'm so self-conscious about the way I look it's really hard, thats where alot of my money goes.
    ▼Laurin▼

ConsciousCuisine

Sorry to hear you are self-conscious as I am sure you are lovely in reality That being said, it would be nice to have affordable vegan cosmetics, wouldn't it? Perhaps you could ask that gift cards/products be the thing that people gift you for holidays and the like, that way you can buy necessities and products with that money instead of getting other products/items as gifts!

I have no idea what is available in Canada so I'm not much help...I just wanted to offer my support and say that I think it's great that you discovered veganism at so young an age!

Thanks I appreciate it!
    ▼Laurin▼

Ecco Bella is supposedly vegan. The line is sold at Trade Secrets and maybe Choices.