Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Non-vegan cravings

Talking Re: Non-vegan cravings when sick

theres nothing in dead chicken soup that makes it any more nutritious or better for you (or the healing process) than any other soup in the world...

eat some vegetable soup and think about the animals that you are saving.

that would make me feel better.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Re: Non-vegan cravings when sick

Yeh, or lentil soup

I know what you mean about the association thing though. When I was ill my mum used to get me lucozade and I associate lucozade with feeling looked after so sometimes crave that.

You just have to stay rational

Sniff a tin of cat food, that will put you off straight away!
    Silent but deadly :p

Seaside

Quote Yoggy
    You can buy a can of Amy's "No Chicken" soup. It even has cubes of "chicken" in it, but it's entirely vegan! It tastes just like when I was a kid, and is very comforting.
    Another vote for Amy's No Chicken Noodle Soup! Its good!

I like ramen style noodles in miso broth with as much Thai red curry paste I can stand (which is a lot! I love hot stuff) because it not only mobilizes mucous from my sinuses, it also dulls the pain of a sore throat. Don't try it though unless you really like hot spicy food and are already used to it.

tabitha

Theosof - when I was getting over a recent operation, I really fancied a tin of that lurid bright orange tinned tomato soup from Heinz. My wonderful mum made me a lovely tomato soup and it was delicious, but I still craved that stuff! funny isnt it. We just remember being ill as a kid and having it I guess. Ive never seen no chicken soup here though. I will definitely look.

yes i crave alot of the foods i had when i was little that my mom used to make me that were non vegan. i dont think theres one thing i havent veganized that ive craved. care to mention some of the things? there MAY be a recipe out there!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

FR

It doesn't happen to me, then again, I don't get sick. fortunately I have programmed myself to think of all foods with animal products in them as gross. I would try eating nice fat filled vegan foods when you have those cravings.

I went out and bought some of that Amys No Chicken soup lastnight. It was good. Thanks!
    Chelsea Thur, Indiana Representative, March to End Animal Cruelty, http://www.myspace.com/veganthur

I'll half to get something like that, it's nice to drink warm soup when you're sick.
    ▼Laurin▼

I crave Kraft Macaroni and Cheese when I am sick. And as box macaroni doen't taste like real macaroni and cheese, it is hard to imitiate!

I did try that Road's End Organics Mac and ChReese once, but it was very sweet tasting...maybe the soymilk I used. I used vanilla because FR convinced me I wouldn't tell the difference. He said he used in in mashed potatoes and couldn't tell anyway, so I thought it might be OK in there...

Haha, you must have used your programming powers on me without even knowing!

My mom never gave me anything else when I was sick that was different, but apple juice and grilled cheese. I crave those too (soy cheese of course). And chips, which I don't know why cause my mom never let me have those.

I am not big on the Amy's Chickenless soup, and i love their others. I tried another brand - Fantastic - and didn't like it either. It was dried in a pouch, expensive and made a ton which I ended up throwing out.

Default Re: Need encouragement please

Maybe you could get your husband or some other more positive go-between to tell your mil beforehand. Explain to your husband that you are afraid to create a disturbance and have him tell her in an offhand way. That way you don't show up and "insult her cooking and way of life" out of the blue.
    Also, if his mother is a cook call her up and say something like "I am baking cookies, do you think that I could use coconut milk instead of milk?" or something more like "Do you think I can use vegetable oil instead of butter?"
    Once you get it out in the open then you could ease into talking to her about bringing a dish to dinner. Which, btw, is a good idea so long as she knows that you are going to do it. That way she doesn't have to worry about being a bad hostess. If she asks what she can do: DO ask her to set aside some vegetables without broth or butter. Otherwise you will end up looking sheepish and she will be upset that you are not eating "with everyone else".

As far as craving meat goes, make sure you are getting enough protein AND fat. I think that some meat cravings are fat cravings. Also, allow some salt too.

Oh, p.s. I like to say that I am a vegetarian to some, it sounds less "strange" and some people know that vegetarians abstain from all animal products.

I often say, oh, there's things in there that I don't eat, and if necessary I add "I don't eat things which come from animals."

Leaves them to think what comes from animals and why someone might not want them, if they want to know more they can ask.

Probably helps to say this in a matter-of-fact way. People don't react in a big way if you say you don't take salt or sugar do they? I wouldn't know about this next one, but I'd guess there isn't a big reaction if you say "I'm on the Atkins diet."

So you could say "I'm on the Moby Diet" or the Crissie Hynde diet.

Blix

I found that my inlaws would say "I don't want to eat that rubbish" without even tasting it. So I say to them Don't you like tomatoes or onions? Don't you like cabbage peas or potatoes? etc.,etc., till I have depleted the list of foods that everyone eats and enjoys. It's all just food. Which food we eat is up to us, not down to other people who want to make it 'political'. I hear some of the TV chefs being scornful about vegetarian food, especially the 'fat lady' who hunts and shoots. So I would say to them that any chef who is worth his or her salt should be able to cook and enjoy any food. It's not vegetarian or vegan. It's just food.
    Just say that you don't want to eat meat or fish because you like them too much. I say that I don't want to eat animals because they have souls and they are greatly beloved by God. www.medjugorje.org. Good luck. and God bless you

"The Moby Diet" I love it!
    I would also love "The Genesis Diet"
    hehehehe
    Faw, I can't imagine that someone could call vegan food "rubbish". I mean, if it was tofu or something I could understand that they had fears or had heard things about it but just vegetables? Ridiculous. No offense to your in-laws.

Lentil,
    The inlaws can be an interesting event. Mine think I'm a little off anyway so maybe when I became vegan it kind of was just, "Oh, that's Sheila".

I broke them in slowly though. We went to their home and they were having a get together. I made my Mexican Dip that is so good. Everyone ate it up. I figured I would start with something they were used to.

Over the next few times I would volunteer to cook part of the meal. This had a dual purpose. 1st I knew there would be something I could eat that wouldn't be loaded down with animal stuff. 2nd they would be able to see that vegan food ROCKS!

My MIL has not been too bad. She did look at me like I had stepped off of the Martian space shuttle when I brought out my Tofurky roast for Christmas though. Other then that they are getting used to me being vegan.

You might be suprised. My enthusiasm for how good I look and feel I think outshines the 'weirdness' of the vegan life in their eyes.

And another note. When I first went vegan what helped me with my mindset was I had to quit saying "I can't eat that" it was so negative for me I felt I was depriving myself. I switched to "I don't eat that". For me it gave me empowerment over my choice.

Best of luck and congratulations on making a wonderful choice.

Sheila

My main thing with others is that they act shocked and say "You can't eat that either??" Like the other day I was having spring rolls with a friend and was horrified to find shrimp in them. I played it off pretty cool (I didn't actually bite into one or anything) and asked if he would like to finish it.
    He says to me "What?! You can't eat shrimp either? Like I had put myself on some diet that was too restrictive or something. I told him, "I CAN eat shrimp, I just chose not to." Also, I feel really embarrassed like I am a spoiled child or something when they ask "Can you eat at this restaurant?"
    When I was a vegetarian I used to say "Of course! Don't worry about me!" but now it is a little different. I do like the personal challenge of saying that and following through but still, I hate to be looked at.

That wasn't encouraging was it?? Sorry. I guess I am saying that I share your pain! Maybe I need some encouragement too.

Quote Lentil
    I never expected to be craving animal products so much and so soon!
    Hi Lentil, some people are more 'addicted' to their habits than others, not only eating habits... If you make sure you focus on making really tasty vegan food, the change don't need to be more dramatic than going on vacation to a country where you need to try many new meals (which most people seem to enjoy)!

I guess it's just that whole idea of not "being allowed" to do something maybe, I'm not sure.
    Don't forget that you are 'allowed', but that you are 'drifting towards' a change...

Talking about encouragement, maybe it's helpful to remember that there is basically one reason that you don't need encouragement in order to crave/want/like animal products: habit. It's not that you at some very early point in life decided to become a meat eater, it's probably only that you have been given animal products since as long as you can remember. Most of us didn't have a choice back then, now we have. Most meat eaters never decided to eat meat.

Humans may need habits, but have been given some habits that don't go well with how we really want to live...

When I spoke to my other half about it, I suggested taking a lentil roast or something to have and perhaps sharing it with whoever wanted to try some - but he thought my m-i-l would find that a bit odd
    If I had parents in law that would expect a vegan to eat something non-vegan just to be polite, I would find that more that just a bit odd... Isn't the most polite way to deal with visits with people who are not used to offer anything vegan to suggest to bring your won food?

coney

Quote Lentil
    I guess it's just that whole idea of not "being allowed" to do something maybe, I'm not sure. I'm still cooking meat, etc. for my family and hubby is making such helpful comments about how much I must be missing various dishes, that I'm taking my diet too far, etc.

Also, I'm dreading telling my in-laws because I really don't want a big "thing" made of it. I haven't told a soul (except hubby), not even the children yet. I won't mention anything unless we're invited over there for dinner - but I know it's going to be really difficult. Any ideas?
    Think of it as 'being allowed' to eat all kinds of stuff that meat eaters wouldn't even dream of eating. You've got tons of cultural foods to pick from. Veg*ns are much more adventurous with their eating than meat eaters are.

You could make a couple exeptions, like when you go to your inlaws, say "I'm trying to avoid any animal products", to make it seem like it's important to you, but you're not going to throw a fit if there's butter in the mashed potatoes. For me (and I'm not entirely vegan) being a little leanient on yourself is the way to go, when you first go vegan (although some people would disagree). Be vegan at home because you have control over all of your food, but if you end up eating at a friend's or relatives house, and eat a little butter or honey, or if there's an egg cooked into something, don't beat yourself up. They'll learn what to not feed you in the future.

I've got the Buddhist way of thinking of it, I guess. I'd rather not waste food that people are kind enough to serve me when I'm at their house, than to refuse it, possibly making them feel bad and having it go to waste. MOst people can deal with vegetarians, that's easy, it's the dairy that throws them for a loop.

Make sure you're getting enough iron. That's why most people crave meat.

Blix

I've got the Buddhist way of thinking of it, I guess. I'd rather not waste food that people are kind enough to serve me when I'm at their house, than to refuse it, possibly making them feel bad and having it go to waste.
    Make sure you're getting enough iron. That's why most people crave meat.[/quote]

Yes Coney, when Some people I know have gone overboard to provide what they thought was acceptable, even though it wasn't, then it is the love with which they provide it which is more important than the vegan ideal. It would have hurt them to have refused after all the special trouble they went to.

I think it's more likely that you feel ..'temptations' or feelings of questioning your diet at the start of becoming vegan. Once you carry on a bit further these feelings will disappear as you become more adjusted.
    I find that if you sound light hearted when people ask questions like "where do you get your...[protein etc] from", "what can you actually eat" etc and sort of turn it around so that its actually meat eaters that have the odd diet- and dont know what they're eating, you might start feeling better. Sounds a bit mean bit at the end of the day- you know you're RIGHT!

Where do you get your (calcium or whatever) from? Same place as elephants - from plants.

Must be other big mammals that are herbivores that you could mention.

Quote Korn
    It's not that you at some very early point in life decided to become a meat eater, it's probably only that you have been given animal products since as long as you can remember. Most of us didn't have a choice back then, now we have. Most meat eaters never decided to eat meat.
    What an excellent point! I'd never thought of it like that before. My children are still all eating meat, etc. at the moment but I'm really thinking about it alot more now. They're "animal" intake has dropped alot without them even realising it I think - stews are now barley and veg rather than beef, homemade burgers are made of beans Hopefully they'll be slowly learning that there's not really any need to have animal products in their diets.

I think your point about habit was quite true aswell Korn, I'm cooking three meals on some nights now which is pretty mad (although I'm managing to get it down to one meal on other nights now) and sometimes I just think it would be easier to eat what everyone else is having.

That said though, I badly hurt my leg a week or so ago and my hubby cooked dinner for me. He did check if I'd eat whatever he put in front of me and I was so fed up and in pain that I just couldn't care less. He cooked beef burgers and chips. I ate it without too much thought really, just thinking that it was pretty unusual circumstances and that I'd get back to cutting out animal products the next day. The next day all I could taste in my mouth was that burger, I felt so sick! It was awful, the nausea and taste lasted for days. It really feels like my body has been shown a better way and refuses to accept animals as part of its intake now ... so it certainly put an end to any cravings and maybe it was what I needed to make me stop hesitating

Quote coney
    You could make a couple exeptions, like when you go to your inlaws, say "I'm trying to avoid any animal products", to make it seem like it's important to you, but you're not going to throw a fit if there's butter in the mashed potatoes.
    That's pretty much the way I was thinking of doing it. These people have been wonderful to me and my family - last time we went there I was eating meat, I can't just go there and turn my nose up at everything and pick it about! Next time we're invited, I'll mention not eating meat any more and ask whether m-i-l would like me to bring something else instead of meat. While we're there I'll mention trying to cut out animal products but I won't even ask what the roast potatoes are cooked in! Let it be a gradual thing ... I don't want to go upsetting everybody!

All in all it's going well now ... I've been looking into cleaning products and toiletries recently - what a screwy world it is! I've been looking at the products in my kitchen & bathroom and realised that about 90% of them are tested on animals! It's so awful. Still, I've had a splurge on some gorgeous looking toiletries which are fully vegan and I can't wait for them to arrive! Gradually, it'll all get replaced but I hate the thought of it being in my house now that I "know" I guess ignorance really is bliss ... kind of
    Vegan at last .. woo hoo!!

tabitha

My lot still give me grief about the whole vegan thing. It drives me mad. Sometimes I compromise and give them quorn stuff because it irritates me to watch them poke around in a veggie curry and pick out bits. My teenagers will say to me "mum I want to be healthy. Ill eat vegan with you", so I will get all excited, do a stirfry or a soup or something and they will leave most of it. My husband did a lovely vegetable curry last night, but most of that got left. I am rapidly getting to the point of no return. Id have more luck making the cat healthy. At least the rabbits a flipping vegan

i know that feeling, tabitha. my food gets rejected by various people (bf, flatmates, family...) all the time. and it's just because of stupid prejudice, my food isn't all that bad..
    I get irritated by that sort of thing even when it's not me that prepared the food.
    i am trying to work out a compromise..have you tried to find out the type of thing that your sons would eat? i have noticed that many people start being picky the minute their food looks like a vegetable. if i hide the "healthy-looking" stuff away (eg. bean burgers instead of beans, falafel instead of chickpeas, veggie purees instead of veggie pieces in your lasagne...) , they tend to like it more.
    the more unnatural it looks, the happier they are.
    of course it's difficult to do this all the time, it can also actually make the food less healthy (by frying it, for eg.), but you could try to alternate...one day processed, the next day natural..
    Piggy

Tabi, I think you're a saint! I'd give them their dinner and say if you don't eat it you can go hungry (and I'd withhold money so they couldn't go out and buy their own rubbish!!). Just call me Hitler!! (Oops, hope that doesn't offend anyone.)
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

lentil, have you had a look through the recipe section here? perhaps you could start off making things like cookies or cakes for your family - simple things that they shouldnt notice too much difference in. You will know they are vegan but you neednt say anything and you get the satisfaction of everyone eating what you have made and being happy

then you could move onto some of robs suggestions, maybe cottage pie, spag bolognase using veggie mince. there are lots of one-pot meals that dont need that meat/bulk element in them.

good luck

feral

I would be careful about trying to phase you diet to your in-laws you might find when you reach a point where you can't stomach meat byproducts eg gravy etc you might get a lot of 'oh well you ate it last time yadda yadda', they might actually become confused as to what you will & won't eat.

My in-laws are big meat eaters but MIL has always respected my vegetarianism (her neice is veggi), although we haven't eaten at their house in yonks I know she'll respect me going vegan, she'll not necessarily understand or agree but she'll respect it (prob through fear of upsetting me).

My mum is veggi but the men in the family are big meat eaters too (farming background) but she's discovered that they love quorn in her veg soup and mince & onion done with veggi mince. They know now what it is and are still happy enough, they prefer it to the meat versions. They'll never go completely veggi but at least it's something and makes meal times easier for my poor wee mum.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote kriz
    Maybe it's better not to label yourself as a vegan, but rather someone who tries to live as cruelty-free as possible. The vegan label can feel constrictive for many.
    Interesting. I have never really heard of someone psyching themselves out with the label that way because it felt 'constrictive'...if feeling pressured in that way, it seems that would do the trick! I wonder how long they'd need to do that before they felt comfortable using the word 'vegan'...

ConsciousCuisine

Thumbs up Re: Need encouragement please

Quote Sheila

And another note. When I first went vegan what helped me with my mindset was I had to quit saying "I can't eat that" it was so negative for me I felt I was depriving myself. I switched to "I don't eat that". For me it gave me empowerment over my choice.
    VERY good point! Languaging is very powerful and shows our intent Saying you DON'T eat something rather than you CAN'T takes the power back and also shows that it is a CHOICE, not a 'decree' of sorts, something imposed on you independant of your own free will.

I very much agree with this. When people say to me that I CAN'T eat something, I tell them that I CAN eat it but I WON'T. I let them know that I'm making a conscious choice. My choices make me vegan. Being vegan doesn't make my choices for me.

Default Tuna Cravings

I have been craving tuna for 10 years, and at times think I'm going to go crazy if I don't get some!!!! Tuna was the last meat item I ate before going veggie, and it's the ONLY meat product I still want.

So my question is, are there any fake tuna products out there that aren't horrible? Or, do you have a recipe you recommend that captures the tuna flavor? foxytina_69 posted a chickpea recipe a while back, but I was hoping for someting a little "fishier".

Suggestions? Thanks!

Seaside

Default Re: Tuna Cravings

Try to find Tuno, by Worthington Foods. Its drives cats crazy, so it must be good! The first time I tried it, it seemed so like tuna I got a little upset, and double-checked the ingredient list. But I haven't eaten tuna for 28 years, so I'm probably not in the best position to compare it to the real thing.

I feel your pain, Karmadust. Tuna was the last meat I gave up too. I've been curbing the cravings by making a chickpea "tuna" salad, but you're right, it doesn't taste nearly the same. I've seen recipes online that use regular tofu and add kelp powder to make it seem fishy. And I've heard of that Tuno product, been meaning to look for it. I'll report back if I can find it.

we have a 'fish' pate in the uk by a company called redwoods.

could you find something like that where you are? - online maybe??

Have you tried the dixie diner tuna-not stuff? Perhaps you've tried that already and think it's horrible! I quite like it.

[QUOTE=Seaside;251201]Try to find Tuno, by Worthington FoodsQUOTE]

I've heard that tuno is pretty horrible, but I tend to like stuff that others don't, so I'll give it a try.

cedarblue which is the fishy one from redwoods?? I'll try to avoid it

I've got a recipe for pecan and carrot sandwich spread which I noticed tasted a bit like fish... Would you like me to post it? I must admit I'm new to forums etc and pretty poor when it comes to techno stuff, so will probably end up typing it in the message
    I guess I could try an attachment...

Hi GreenSpecs - I would be interested to see your recipe if it doesn't involve too much typing for you You can probably just cut and paste the text from the document it's in into your message

Here you go then - hope you like it!

Pecan Paté
    Ingredients
    4oz pecans, ground
    2 cups wholewheat breadcrumbs
    1 large carrot, finely grated
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 tbs soaked chopped seaweed (optional)
    2 tsp tomato purée
    1 tsp yeast extract, dissolved in 1 tbs hot water
    Method
    Combine ingredients, mixing well with hands. Compress into a container

That sounds jolly nice, GreenSpecs - thanks. Looking forward to trying it as I lerve pecans but tend to forget about their existence unless they're in a recipe.

I think things with seaweed do tend to taste a bit fishy so it might well be a good tuna substitute.

Quote Jamie View Post
    cedarblue which is the fishy one from redwoods?? I'll try to avoid it

i think its called salmon pate....

Seaweed!!!
    Go to the chinese grocers and get seaweed snacks. Kelp, Laver, or wakame. Add them to tofu dishes. Seaweed gives a fishy taste to everything.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

If you make kitri (the original vegan Kedgeree before the English decided to 'improve' it with their good ol' kippers and boiled eggs) and add seaweed and flaxseed oil, that tastes pretty fishy too

I made a Rose Elliot recipe for 'Mediterranean bean pate' recently and thought it tasted a bit like tuna - blend together cannelini beans, black olives, sun dried tomatoes and lemon juice.
    I think it was just the texture and the fact it was quite salty that reminded me of tuna

If you steam tempeh then crumble it up I think it tastes a lot like tuna.

Now i dont fancy the sound of any fishy substitutes. To be honest i cant think of anything worse. I bought some of the redwoods fishy bite things by accident and i couldnt bring myself to even try them. I used to like fish when i was a omni, odd. Think its more to do with the smell.

Quote puffin View Post
    Now i dont fancy the sound of any fishy substitutes. ... Think its more to do with the smell.
    I know what you mean - my family are all omnis and I find it hard to be around the animal smells. I like natural foods (like the pates and kitri) because they do fulfil an aspect of the taste palette that for me is sort of missing. I came across some science where they talked about taste and smell having shapes (any scientists here who could perhaps do a better job of this than me?). Anyway, different tastes and smells can have similar shapes. I don't want or crave fish, but I do like the foods which have similar properties. I've an Indian friend who's life lacto veggie and he really enjoys kitri (obviously) and "fishy" types of foods I cook, but not fish substitutes. He says they taste strange

The whole idea is strange when you think about it. Which I guess we all have or we wouldn't be here talking about craving the taste but not the source

PainterLady

I love Tuno by Morningstar farms!!! It comes in a can and I make Tuno Salad with it and Vegenaise!!! The can even says: "Dolphin and Tuna Friendly". It's awesome I love it! You could add some seaweed ground up to make it fishier too. I am the same, love Tuno! SOmetimes I make Tuno Casserole---scrumptious.

Default "craving" chicken??

Hi
    I've recently (since the start of the week) had these odd cravings for chicken, in particular McDonald's Chicken McNuggets (i know, weird).
    I haven't eaten meat since 2005, and have not had ANY chicken cravings since then (the closest i got was sushi, and even that only lasted a couple of months after becoming lacto-ovo).
    I'm a follower of the fact that cravings come from deficiencies in some form, so i'm wondering if perhaps there's something my body "wants" since becoming vegan (01/01/07). Any ideas?
    If it was just a day or so, i'd chuck it up to simply smelling something apetizing, but this is day three.

FYI, i get aproximately 80-100 grams of protein daily and a vegan supplement + a tablespoon of flaxseed oil, as well as a pretty well rounded diet.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 25th, 2007 at 08:45 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread