Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-vegan cravings

Red face Non-vegan cravings

Inspired by the 'I'm Struggling thread' I am starting this one to 'protect' people who may crave animal foods. I was concerned reading the post by this particular post by Savannah:
    Quote Savannah
    Today I totally have the munchies. I ate a whole pack of cereal bars, 8 rice cakes with 1/2 tub toffuti cream cheese. Now I'm having a giant avocado sandwich and houmous straight out the tub. Luckily I don't have anything in the flat that is too unhealthy, but all i want right now is a big mac. I'm just going to have to go to bed and try to forget about it.
    As we all know, some people get offended by vegans having cravings, and it is not always wise to be open about it here on TVF coz we get 'attacked'. So here I thought we could post what we are craving and if anyone has any suggestions on how to exactly combat the craving with a non-animal food they can respond. Or even share experiences of how you have combatted certain cravings.
    This is my response to Savannah:
    Quote Queen Medjool
    Make a double patty veggie burger, with tofutti cheese, mustard, ketchup & pickles, lettuce & tomato. And make oven fries to go with it.
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 28th, 2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Stickydate: please see my post#81 in this thread - there's no reason to attack people for cravings!!! :)

mango woman

Default Re: Food to Combat Cravings for animal foods

good idea

Sometimes cravings are simply psychological and sometimes they are physiological. Your body might be lacking a certain nutrient. Example, not enough Magnesium in the diet may cause chocolate cravings and cramping. Low B12 and iron could cause meat cravings and so on. Do a little research on the subject of food cravings and deficiencies. Keep a food diary and if you are a woman keep track of cravings throughout the month. See if your cravings are triggered by PMS and/or ovulation

Good Luck!

HOW TO CONQUER CRAVINGS
    Or give in at the right moments

by Steve Edwards, Beachbody™ Fitness Advisor

You've just spent the last few weeks weeding the junk out of your diet. Brown rice and veggies have replaced Tuesday night all-you-can-eat sessions at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. Flax is part of your daily vernacular, while Crisco conjures up visions of an old John Wayne flick instead of Toll House cookies. In short, you've been good and your body is responding. It feels better than it did last month, yet you're a little tired.

Maybe it's from not eating enough, maybe lack of protein, perhaps what's "supposed" to be good for you really isn't after all. "Aren't I supposed to have more energy," you think. Why am I tired?" As if on cue, you happen to be passing the local McDonald's. The smell is arousing. "Yes, it must be lack of protein," so you pull up to the drive-up window. As luck would have it, it's Big Wednesday—two Big Macs for $2. Certainly your body wouldn't steer you wrong, so you order away. Habit sways you to throw in fries and a Coke, but that's okay because you've earned it. Besides, you've been listening to your body, and it's craving protein. This can't be the wrong decision. Or can it?

The ability to tell psychological cravings from physiological hunger is one of the keys to maintaining a lean body, and learning to distinguish which is which is your first step to learning how to conquer your cravings.

Learning how to listen to your body is a vital step to living an active and healthy lifestyle. Your body is smart; it will tell you what is working and what isn't. Unfortunately, it's also a creature of habit, and old habits die hard. So sometimes when you could use a little fat, it tells you that you need a pint of Ben and Jerry's. You want to conquer these bad habits, yet you know you need to fuel yourself properly. What should you do?

Eating in response to a psychological craving almost always insures overeating. Some examples of psychological cravings are:

• Wanting something sweet after dinner.
    • Wanting a hot dog at a ballgame or chips while watching TV.
    • You get hungry at the mention of ice cream.
    • You can't decide what you want to eat but feel the need to eat something.
    • The smell of a comfort food restaurant suddenly makes you hungry.
    • Feeling stressed makes you hungry.
    • Being bored makes you hungry.
    Other times, your body will tell you it needs food or a certain food because it's deficient. These are physiological cravings:

• Feeling like you suddenly have no energy.
    • Having a gnawing feeling in your stomach.
    • You're light headed.
    • You can't stop thinking about meat, or spinach, or even fatty foods, etc.
    Once you decide which type of craving you're having, then make a plan of action. For physiological cravings, you want to give in to them. These happen commonly when you don't eat for long periods of time. They also happen both at the onset of an exercise program or any time you restrict your diet. Often they signal a blood sugar crash, like when you're lightheaded. Food cravings can signal different things. Meat cravings come from excessive muscle breakdown when your body wants protein to repair it. Veggies usually signal a vitamin deficiency. Ice cream, or any fat, can signal a fat deficiency. If these cravings are real, eating the right food will calm the craving, even if it's something you don't like. For example, a teaspoon of flax seed oil might appease your ice cream craving if you haven't been getting enough essential fat. A protein shake may have the same effect as a Big Mac, even though you were sure you needed that burger. These types of cravings should be indulged. You just need to make sure to do it correctly.

Psychological cravings are far more common. This is when you become certain that you'll fall over dead if you don't get some peanut M&M's, now! These are the cravings that need to be resisted at all costs. Here are some tips to help when times get tough:

• Eat every 3 hours. Even if it's something small. One of the biggest culprits for psychological cravings is dropping blood sugar. If you keep your levels steady, you simply won't crave the same things. The easiest way to combat cravings is to avoid them in the first place.

• Drink water. Dehydration confuses the body and will often make it feel hungry, especially if it's cool out. A small glass of water each hour will keep your stomach full and keep you hydrated.

• Wait. Real cravings stay with you but psychological ones don't. If you've eaten enough and are hydrated, putting off a decision for 15-20 minutes will help the feeling dissipate.

• Distract yourself. Along the same lines, if you start doing something else the feeling will usually pass. If you've been working in front of a computer but feel the need to eat, do something else. Make a phone call or read the news. Changing your mindset might be all you need.

• Exercise. If you start to exercise and your cravings aren't physical, you'll feel better almost instantly. If it is physical, you'll never be able to really get into your workout, which is a sign that you need to eat.

• Challenge your craving. Some people like to attack things and this type may prefer the approach that is, "Go ahead and take your best shot. I don't need food and I'm not eating!"

• Keep healthy snacks around. Sometimes you just can't take it, especially if you're on a restricted calorie diet. Keeping healthy snacks around will help. Have a piece of fruit or some raw veggies. If it's not helping, you'll know your craving was psychological.

• Change your routine. Habit can affect a craving, so shake up what you do, even if it's just slightly. Turn off the lights in your kitchen and try not to use that room. Change the lighting of your house, move your desk, sit differently, get up every so often and stretch or drink water, do anything different. Forcing simple changes can make it easier to follow through with tougher ones

And when absolutely nothing else works, give in, but RARELY! Every so often you've got to blow it. After all, you're human. And if you didn't enjoy these foods, they wouldn't have become something you craved in the first place. You are going to mess up sometimes. This can be okay if you can limit amounts. Have a square of chocolate instead of a whole bar, a serving of chips (around 20) instead of a bag, half a soda instead of the entire thing. And never let one bad evening turn into a three-day (or three-week) binge! This will work your habitual mind in the right direction and lead to the ability to cut that craving out for good.

CARL DAIKELER'S TIP OF THE MONTH
    Don't Eat "Less," Eat Enough

I'm one of those people that have a hard time being told he can't have something (and I apologize to my mother for the grief that caused her while I grew up). That relates to how I eat too -- which means, for someone who wants to have what he wants to have, it's tricky to tell myself to eat less or to diet... Okay, it's not tricky; it's impossible for more than a day or two. So how did I lose fat doing Power 90®? I stopped thinking in terms of eating less, and instead just made sure I ate enough -- and no more. That took listening to my body for "full" signals ("Two small slices seemed to do the trick. I'll stop now."), instead of eating until I got "stuffed" signals. ("Hello fourth slice of pizza!")

That goes for everything -- from snack bars to popcorn to salad; I don't finish a sports snack bar if I sense that I've had enough. I save it for later if I feel hungry again. Same thing with popcorn at the movies (no butter!), I don't munch it mindlessly because it's there and I just paid $10 for it. I eat what feel like, and know that as soon as I get the sensation that I've eaten enough, I stop, with confidence that if I get attacked by hunger I'll be okay. The bucket is right there, waiting to save me.

Salad is a particularly valuable choice to note. The "enough" comes from the dressing. I learned from my assistant, Joanne, actually that I was putting way too much dressing on my salad ("Swim little sunflower seeds, swim!") Instead, I learned that a little goes a long way, and that some of that stuff in my salad actually has its own flavor! That led to training my taste buds to look for some new healthy flavors, rather than looking for oversized chunks of blue cheese - a huge lesson for me.

And you know what - when I learned to eat "enough," I started to feel better after meals. Instead of tired, I felt energized instead of feeling like I just gave back the gains I worked for that week (or losses, in the case of calorie burning) I felt like I had maintained my discipline and stuck to my commitment.

I think you'll feel the same - and you won't go hungry.

The bottom line for me is, the closer I listened to my body, the better I got at eating "enough" and the more I enjoyed food without getting bloated. So instead of always beating on yourself to "EAT LESS!" trying being your body's own best friend, and feed it "enough."

Seaside

Quote Queen Medjool

As we all know, some people get offended by vegans having cravings, and it is not always wise to be open about it here on TVF coz we get 'attacked'. So here I thought we could post what we are craving and if anyone has any suggestions on how to exactly combat the craving with a non-animal food they can respond. Or even share experiences of how you have combatted certain cravings.
    I don't know any vegans here who are offended by folks having cravings, nor do I know any who wish to "attack" folks for having cravings. Cravings cannot be helped, and are not a moral weakness. The only objection I have ever had is to anyone who wants to water down the definition of veganism to suit their less-than-vegan interests, which is very different from having cravings or posting about them.

Quote Cranberry
    Sometimes cravings are simply psychological and sometimes they are physiological. Your body might be lacking a certain nutrient. Example, not enough Magnesium in the diet may cause chocolate cravings and cramping. Low B12 and iron could cause meat cravings and so on. Do a little research on the subject of food cravings and deficiencies. Keep a food diary and if you are a woman keep track of cravings throughout the month. See if your cravings are triggered by PMS and/or ovulation....
    Cranberry, this is very useful information! I have had many cravings at times for different fruits or vegetables, and have always figured that this meant I was low in certain nutrients. What I wonder is whether a person can suffer a true nutritionally-driven craving for an animal product, since animal products are not nutritionally appropriate for people?

I also have read that we can become easily addicted to foods to which we are allergic, and the addictive or habit-forming qualities animal "foods" possess must not be overlooked. If a person is going through "withdrawal", facsimiles of these products may only lead to continuing the habit of eating them.

It is hard work, but in the long run it is better to identify what sort of craving it is, and find a way to eliminate it completely rather than relying on substitutes. However, if a person is struck with an unbearable urge, a substitute is better than the real thing. But it should only be a temporary stop-gap, on the road to freeing ourselves from being bound to animal "foods", and showing all those dozens of non-vegan guests who visit this forum to find out about veganism that it is possible to live very happily and successfully without animal "foods" or their imitations.

I also have cravings occasionally The method I use is to think of the suffering faced by the animals, be it while they are dying, the psychological stress etc., I found it very reliable and always works.

I am craving an after eight mint sandwich with plastic white bread and lashings of margerine
    Thankfully I have none of the above in the house!
    Silent but deadly :p

There are many vegan alternatives to dairy/meat so i find it hard to understand why the cravings cannot be fulfilled by these products

Quote puffin
    There are many vegan alternatives to dairy/meat so i find it hard to understand why the cravings cannot be fulfilled by these products
    Me too. Cooking with lots of fat and/or spice should take care of the cravings. Tasteless vegan cooking could make anyone crave for anything.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Quote kriz
    . Tasteless vegan cooking could make anyone crave for anything.
    I agree. There is a joke in my house, if something tastes really bland we always say "that tastes vegan" The joke is not a bitch at vegan food but at the way people think vegan food tastes like. Oh you all know what i mean, im of before i say something stupid. Oh to late

Seaside

Quote kriz
    Tasteless vegan cooking could make anyone crave for anything.
    Quote puffin
    I agree. There is a joke in my house, if something tastes really bland we always say "that tastes vegan" The joke is not a bitch at vegan food but at the way people think vegan food tastes like. Oh you all know what i mean, im of before i say something stupid. Oh to late
    You guys are right! People who manufacture vegan foods think we are vegan for our health. so they leave out all the fat and salt. I go along the aisles and read the words on the labels: "No dairy" yay!, "No cholesterol", yay!, "fat free", boo!!!!!

I don't know is someone said this already (too lazy to read the long posts ) but something fatty helps with cheese cravings. Like an avocado or bread dipped in olive oil (lol).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote puffin
    I know it is selfish, but sometimes I find myself craving 'the real thing'. The purpose of this thread is to help people like Hemlock - not to make people feel guilty for having cravings. So please people - only helpful suggestions or tips

Quote Hemlock
    I am craving an after eight mint sandwich with plastic white bread and lashings of margerine
    Thankfully I have none of the above in the house!
    I am sorry Hemlock, but I don't know what an after eight mint sandwich is???

Your Majesty , After Eight mints are a peppermint fondant cream covered in dark chocolate in a nifty square shape (I reckon 4 of them would fit nicely between two slices of white bread!!)
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I have to say, I don't like the idea of an after eight sandwich much, but then I've never tried it, and I *did* have a chocolate-orange truffle sandwich just yesterday, so I can't really talk

I'm not sure if they're still vegan but the Co-op after dinner mints (very similar to after eights) used to be marked vegan. And don't Dr Hadwen Trust do some after dinner mint things too? I guess Hemlock wasn't really looking for a sub, given by the relief at not having any fixings for the sandwich in the house, but I'm kind of intriqued now...

LOL I feel dumb now!!!!

In that case, I think I can help. I know that Kosher after dinner mints are vegan (well the ones I know of are anyway), and I am pretty sure that Green and Blacks mint chocolate is vegan too. Maybe Hemlock can buy vegan margarine and white bread and make a sandwich out of that ????

Quote Queen Medjool

I know it is selfish, but sometimes I find myself craving 'the real thing'. The purpose of this thread is to help people like Hemlock - not to make people feel guilty for having cravings. So please people - only helpful suggestions or tips
    It wasnt my intention to make anyone feel guilty for having cravings I just think there are plenty of lovely chocs/yogurts/soya meat and milk out there to help you through the hard times.

Lol, After Eight mints are vegan, but are made by Nestle - so are a bit dodgy on the ethical front - but as Twinkle (quite rightly) says the Co-op do their own version!!

I can't say I would ever have thought about putting After Eight Mints (or indeed any chocolate) in a sandwich, but each to their own

By the way Queen M, great idea for this thread I hope it proves to be very popular and useful, not only to new vegans but also to 'established' vegans who occassionally crave non-vegan things

Way to go Queenie!!!

Quote twinkle

I'm not sure if they're still vegan but the Co-op after dinner mints (very similar to after eights) used to be marked vegan.
    The co-op still do the after dinner mints. Sainsburys do lovely after dinner mints to. All 4 of us got through a whole box in 2 days tut tut

Quote puffin
    It wasnt my intention to make anyone feel guilty for having cravings I just think there are plenty of lovely chocs/yogurts/soya meat and milk out there to help you through the hard times.

I agree and I didn't mean to make u feel bad either. But the point of this thread is for people to come here and say, "I am craving X" and then people can come here and say, "well maybe X will help"....

It's not helpful to say that there is so much there, why do people crave things - I know when it happens to me I need specifics.

Quote puffin
    The co-op still do the after dinner mints. Sainsburys do lovely after dinner mints to. All 4 of us got through a whole box in 2 days tut tut

I know a certain 'Bumpkin' who ate a whole box of the Co-op mint things in ONE sitting - so they must be good

Quote Seaside
    You guys are right! People who manufacture vegan foods think we are vegan for our health. so they leave out all the fat and salt. I go along the aisles and read the words on the labels: "No dairy" yay!, "No cholesterol", yay!, "fat free", boo!!!!!
    I totally agree - I hate it how people think that people are vegan coz they are on a diet

Quote Queen Medjool
    I agree and I didn't mean to make u feel bad either. But the point of this thread is for people to come here and say, "I am craving X" and then people can come here and say, "well maybe X will help"....

It's not helpful to say that there is so much there, why do people crave things - I know when it happens to me I need specifics.
    I said where people could get after dinner mints. I think thats pretty helpful

Thankyou

Quote Poison Ivy
    I know a certain 'Bumpkin' who ate a whole box of the Co-op mint things in ONE sitting - so they must be good
    Lol, i dont feel so bad now Sainsburys ones are lovely to. The chocolate is really thick on them. What time does sainsburys close?

Quote Queen Medjool
    Thankyou

LittleNellColumbia

LittleNellColumbia

oops sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, and of course would never ever encourage the eating of any animal products! I have lots of problems with binge eating however, and once I get an idea of what I want in my head I get quite obsessed and literally can't stop thinking about it.

Last night I just went to bed, but today I still had massive cravings for bad food. Luckily I have a vegan friendly shop on my street that's open til midnight, so I went out and got myself some veggie burgers and 'cheese' slices with loads of salad, and also banana soymilk shakes and chocolate swedish glace. I am so stuffed! And probably tastes a million times better than regular burgers.

Well done Savannah

Quote Poison Ivy

Who are you callin' 'Bumpkin'???

You don't even know me!

I also have issues with binge eating and craving unhealthy (but still vegan) food.

Here's how I cope.

1. study nutrition til your blue in the face. There is power in knowledge.
    2. Make sure your vitamin intake is adequate.
    3. make sure you get your essential fats each day and eat regular meals.
    4. allow for healthy treats to diminish cravings, we r rebellious by nature and want what we cant have.
    5. have a smoothie or a protein ball, filling and delicious but healthy

protein balls:

mixed nuts and seeds about 2 cups
    2 Tbsns protein powder
    " peanut butter
    " malt syrup
    " golden syrup

mix with wet hands. Fills you up for ages and they taste not unlike picnic bars.

Unhappy Craving animal products

I'm pretty new to being fully vegan and I'm finding it loads harder than I expected to I've been drifting towards veganism for many years but did still eat meat, etc. sometimes until very recently. I never expected to be craving animal products so much and so soon!

There's not any one thing which is making it all seem hard - reading ingredients lists is something I've always done, I really enjoy cooking and the food I've cooked since becoming vegan is some of the best I've had for ages! So what's the problem?

I guess it's just that whole idea of not "being allowed" to do something maybe, I'm not sure. I'm still cooking meat, etc. for my family and hubby is making such helpful comments about how much I must be missing various dishes, that I'm taking my diet too far, etc. Although in the main, he's given me far less resistance than I ever expected and is happy to eat (and even enjoys!) vegan meals pretty much every other day - so I'm aware that he is making quite a bit effort on his part.

Also, I'm dreading telling my in-laws because I really don't want a big "thing" made of it. I haven't told a soul (except hubby), not even the children yet. I won't mention anything unless we're invited over there for dinner - but I know it's going to be really difficult. When I spoke to my other half about it, I suggested taking a lentil roast or something to have and perhaps sharing it with whoever wanted to try some - but he thought my m-i-l would find that a bit odd Any ideas?

I'm certainly not about to bow out of being a vegan already, just needed to let off a bit of steam about how hard change can be when you're expecting quite an easy ride!
    Vegan at last .. woo hoo!!

Default Re: Need encouragement please

yikes! maybe you are being too hard on yourself. your family will love your vegan cooking, and if they don't- so what.

the main thing is not to think of it as a restriction- that will do you in for sure. just do what you know is right.

maybe you are just suffering from cheese with drawl

I shouldn't worry too much about people's reactions. Maybe you can say something along the lines that you wanted to go vegetarian and that if you are vegetarian it's logical to be vegan. I find most people are happy to leave it at that, or if they pursue it it's because they're actually interested in why it's logical (in which case you can explain!). I explain it this way because most people I meet now seem to accept vegetarianism as "normal" even if they aren't so familiar with veganism.

Maybe you could have the in-laws over and feed them a delicious meal, then when they're smacking their lips afterwards say "oh by the way did you realise that everything was vegan?" That could forestall any thoughts that you'll be living off lettuce leaves.

As to feeling dissatisfied yourself, can you put your finger on the problem? Is it that you're missing particular foods, or do you feel someone else is stopping you from doing what you want?

Before I went vegan and I was trying to lose weight, I found that if I told myself I couldn't have something, I'd want it even more. Then, I started to eat healthier, and told myself that I could have anything I wanted, but found that because nothing was 'forbidden' it was easy to chose not to have it. Don't tell yourself you can't have cheese, look at it, remind your self what it is, and see if you still want it then.

You've made a huge leap from being omni to vegan and I appreciate it must be incredibly difficult, I was veggie for 15 years so the tranistion was a lot easier for me. Don't be too hard on yourself, take it a day at a time, things should get better when eating meat and dairy become more and more of a distant memory.

Ignore other people's reactions as best you can. They'll probably make comments at first, but once they realise you're serious you may get more support than you'd think. Good luck

i am sorry you're finding it so hard but congrats on making this decision.

one thing you should do is not to look at animal products as "something you cant have" - more as something you choose not to have, because they arent good for you.

for a long time, i kept feeling like i was depriving myself of things i really wanted. but then after a while i realised that i was doing myself a favor by ridding them from my diet. cos i dont need them.

try & think about all the exciting new dishes you can create and eat. and try not to feel as thought you are missing out. keep thinking of how much good you will be doing your body!

tabitha

I dont have too many problems cooking my meat eating family vegetarian dishes, but completely vegan ones are often a bit of a problem. What can you do? The older members of the outer family like your mum in law are probably a bit set in their ways but my lot are the same. They think Im a bit eccentric but every now and then they are happy to give it a go. With the kids I struggle with sandwich fillings. They hate those fake meat and yes I have tried to disguise the taste to fool them. Just be yourself and do your own thing. You cant please everyone. If I remember, you have an enormous family right?, I think you sound wonderful and are doing a fantastic job. Keep it up.

Tiggerwoo

Hi Lentil

When most of us turn vegan, they are faced with a few teething probs, so you're not the only one thats a bit stuck.

The best thing to do is look on all the search engines and search for vegan recipes. There are tons of vegan recipes out there, most pretty simple. Also, try giving your family mock versions of what you would have eaten before. When my parents come to visit, I often do a mock chilli or spaghetti bolognaise which is really easy to do and I just substitute the meat for "realeat" mince which often fools them and doesn't taste as greasy.

It's great you've gone vegan Lentil and you've chosen to stick with it. You seem to be doing really well considering you're new to the whole thing. Enthusiasm for cooking is a great thing to have too. Some vegans live on junk food and miss out on the amazing health benefits the diet can provide. I found telling my family really difficult but it turned out fine. They're okay with my choice. Perhaps your family will be the same way. I would suggest reading as much as you can about the arguments in support of veganism. It will reassure you that you're doing the right thing and if you encounter any hostility you will be able to stand up for yourself.

I found it quite hard going to the in-laws for the first time.
    On top of everything else they know what you used to eat, so may even regard you as a hypocrite.
    It wasn't as bad as I though it would be, but I did have to cook for myself

Some good suggestions that I have found go down well with omnis are:
    Pasta and sauce (with or without fake mince - Realeat one is good) - they can always add cheese to theirs if they must have some cholesterol
    Cottage pie with fake mince
    Sausages (Redwoods are great) with onion gravy, veg and potatoes
    Vegan fried breakfast - Sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns, onion rings, curry beans - probably best without the fake bacon.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Lentil
    I'm pretty new to being fully vegan and I'm finding it loads harder than I expected to I've been drifting towards veganism for many years but did still eat meat, etc. sometimes until very recently. I never expected to be craving animal products so much and so soon!

There's not any one thing which is making it all seem hard - reading ingredients lists is something I've always done, I really enjoy cooking and the food I've cooked since becoming vegan is some of the best I've had for ages! So what's the problem?

I guess it's just that whole idea of not "being allowed" to do something
    Who is it that isn't allowing you?
    I assume its only you?
    Just go at the pace you can cope with and think "who am I doing this for? Am I doing it for me or for the animals?" Both I hope!
    I agree vegan food tastes better than veggie or omni food so maybe you are going to have to go even further in making your vegan meals tastier! Personally I never ate as well as since I went vegan, but prhaps as a new vegan you have not aquired a repetoir of options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks yet?
    Check out
    http://www.vegan-food.net/menus.html
    it is the best all vegan recipe site I have found so far.
    Note it has food categories on the left hand side.
    Shop creatively, cooking vegan is cheaper and you should have money leftoverfor vegan treats. There are many meat and dairy replacements to try and some tofus work very well as egg substitutes. Your husband sounnds like he might be a little more supportive so have a good chat and tell him how important it is to you, the rest of your family should not be a problem if you can present a united front.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the replies They did the tricka nd I feel completely back on track now! Just needed to let off a bit of steam I think

Quote tabitha
    If I remember, you have an enormous family right?
    Yep, a tribe of five lovely little gremlins to test all my new recipes on

Quote herbwormwood
    Check out
    http://www.vegan-food.net/menus.html
    it is the best all vegan recipe site I have found so far.
    Fabulous site! Thanks for the link ... this morning we had american pancakes with syrup as a treat Wow, bang goes the diet - I can feel my hips getting wider as we speak LOL!
    Vegan at last .. woo hoo!!

good for you. A few doubts along the way are to be expected when changing the habits of a lifetime.

It can help to ask yourself "Do I really want to hurt anyone?" and if the answer is "No" then you don't want to things taken from animals. So it's not a prohibition, it's a positive thing. Can make you feel a lot lighter and more free.

Maybe it's better not to label yourself as a vegan, but rather someone who tries to live as cruelty-free as possible. The vegan label can feel constrictive for many.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Red face Non-vegan cravings when sick

Does this happen to anyone? When I was little there were certain comfort foods ( I won't mention but they were not vegen) that I craved when I was sick. I am struggling now getting over pneumonia and find myself craving some of these foods again. Luckily there are now vegan style substitutes for icecream but not for for some of there other stuff. My husband, who is plane old vegetarian told me I should get chicken soup as it is REALLY good for you. So far I have hung in there and kept to my principles !!! Any help appreciated.....

Default Re: Non-vegan cravings when sick

Amy's has a "Chicken" soup that is vegan.

You can buy a can of Amy's "No Chicken" soup. It even has cubes of "chicken" in it, but it's entirely vegan! It tastes just like when I was a kid, and is very comforting. You should be able to find it in any supermarket.

There's probably a vegan substitute for just about any non-vegan craving you have. If you mention some of your other cravings, we might be able to point you in the right direction of a substitute.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

LOL luvsunshine, you beat me to it
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote Yoggy
    LOL luvsunshine, you beat me to it

I am not feeling well either... Amy's non chicken soup sounds so good to me right now.... I just want something warm, like soup. I have black bean soup but I'm not in the mood for it.
    When I was little I used to crave bloomin onions with that zesty sauce stuff when I was sick... dont ask me why... I just like onions with zest I guess.
    Chelsea Thur, Indiana Representative, March to End Animal Cruelty, http://www.myspace.com/veganthur