Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Non-vegan cravings

RubyDuby

Default Re: Non-vegan cravings

Quote Jasmine_tea View Post
    After a year of absolutely no cravings for any animal product my mom brought home dim sum for my siblings and the smells nearly drove me mad! I've decided to dedicate my future vegan culinary experiments to 'inventing' a vegan shrimp dumpling---wish me luck!
    theres vegan shrimp in frozen food section at whole foods here.
    maybe u could make them from those?

I think it's this company, but no pics of the shrimp ones
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

for some reason i'm really craving cheese - grated mixed with mayo and chives, i'll have to get some vegan cheese and make my own
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

RebeccaDye

Mmmm sounds tasty Gorilla.
    I really miss penguin bars.

someone should definitely make a vegan Penguin bar!

today i made sandwiches with a filling of grated cheddar-style Cheezly, a big dollop of Plamil mayonnaise and lots of chopped chives, and it sorted my cheese craving out good and proper. not exactly healthy though!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Aren't penguins just bourbons covered in a thin layer of chocolate?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

RebeccaDye

OH MY LORD!
    So they are!
    I never noticed that!
    I'm gonna make some out of bourbons!
    EXCELLENT!
    Thanks

What I usually do when I crave non-vegan stuff is make a firm decision to make my own vegan version of whatever I'm craving, then I find out how to make it, what I need and where to get it from, then I decide I really can't be arsed and I didn't want it that much anyway.

EDIT: I didn't even realise Bourbons were vegan - and they're like my favourite biscuit ever - thanks Marrers.

http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com...asons-eatings/

I made these and they are amazing, if a little labour intensive. I do miss penguins, me and my ex used to do the 'penguin tea thing' all the time. let us know how the home made version go, may be worth doing, I do miss the excitement of the tea thing!

I don't usually "crave" anything non-vegan, because it's so disgusting, but I always liked deviled eggs for some reason. I don't think I've had one even since becoming just vegetarian, let alone vegan, but they always look so pretty and delicious at family dinners. I think that's one thing I'm not going to be able to veganize lol. If anyone's got a recipe for vegan deviled "eggs," let me know

I think I have at least three different recipes for vegan cinnamon rolls. Hot damn those things are delicious!

Quote squigaletta View Post
    http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com...asons-eatings/

I made these and they are amazing, if a little labour intensive. I do miss penguins, me and my ex used to do the 'penguin tea thing' all the time. let us know how the home made version go, may be worth doing, I do miss the excitement of the tea thing!
    There are some awesome looking recipes on that website!

I know, I love that blog!

just Cadbury's Wispa but want a ricemilk vegan one
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

jelly beans
    i wish it was raining

I was craving the cream that goes on top of starbucks drinks (which is pretty much the only situation I liked anything creamy pre-vegan, aside from ice cream). But I found a recipe to make it at home, as well as I have some chocolate chips that are vegan (which I forgot to put in the brownies!) and chocolate I'm going to melt, and a coffee-flavored soymilk drink that tastes a lot like starbucks frappachino that I used to get in those bottles, that I'm sure is loaded with dairy (but not the soymilk one!). Oh! and I'm staying with my parents so I'll have access to ice and a blender too!

on xmas eve my family made coconut shrimp, and i swear, i almost ate one! (i didnt though)

i dont usually get non vegan cravings anymore, but i used to lovvvve coconut shrimp...

other than chocolate that has milk in it, the only thing I've really had a big thing or is (and this is completely disgusting, seriously anyone of a nervous disposition should look away now) the skin on chicken pieces in breadcrumb from the likes of Dixy or Favorite Fried Chicken, Boston Chicken etc etc.
    It disgusts me that I want to eat this
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote bradders View Post
    other than chocolate that has milk in it, the only thing I've really had a big thing or is (and this is completely disgusting, seriously anyone of a nervous disposition should look away now) the skin on chicken pieces in breadcrumb from the likes of Dixy or Favorite Fried Chicken, Boston Chicken etc etc.
    It disgusts me that I want to eat this
    I've had similar cravings pre-veg, though I think it's mostly for the batter. I think that onion rings would do nicely, peel the batter off the onion rings and eat both. But only on a day when you feel gross and not healthy already. I've not been eating that healthy lately (yummy lasagna and cheesecake).

definitely milk chocolate, i craved cheese for about a year and then it just went and i think zest pesto and cheezly on toast fills a cheese craving but nothing can replace milk chocolate, i've tried alot of fake milk chocolate bars they just don't do it for me i just have to eat loads of bourbons when i need a choc treat

having said the above i got some booja booja hazlenut truffles for xmas and they were amazing but i can't afford £4 every time i need chocolate!

Quote pie View Post
    having said the above i got some booja booja hazlenut truffles for xmas and they were amazing but i can't afford £4 every time i need chocolate!
    Have you tried making your own truffles? They're dead easy! Search for ganache recipes until you find one you like the sound of and then sub soya cream for the cream in the recipe! Or there's a very basic one here though I would add a dash of rum in to that recipe
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

yes but they're just not the same, thanks for the link though x

pavotrouge

thanks a lot for the link!

the shops that used to carry booja booja in Germany don't have them anymore

Some quotes...

Fall seven times, stand up eight. ~Japanese Proverb

The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

The flower that follows the sun does so even in cloudy days. ~ Robert Leighton
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I'm not craving the non-vegan food as much as I used to. Only bacon, whenever I'm exposed to the smell of it. Or pizza when I have an empty stomach. I've been eating alot of toast lately though, and I''m not quite sure why Seems to taste alot better than I remember it to be. Saturday I had 12 pieces... Luckily I've got a good metabolism, so I don't put any weight on, just doesn't seem healthy.

I've never had cravings before, but when I came to the UK I've been cravings things like oreos or twix and yesterday I started craving Cadbury Fingers. I spent ten minutes looking at them at the shop :/

I'm lucky in that I don't crave any non vegan stuff, but when I want a chocolate fix I bake a chocolate fudge cake......after a couple of slices it would be physically impossible to eat anything else !
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

i craved chocolate nibbles today (i went shopping with my mum yesterday and she bought some) as vegan chocolate does not appeal to me at all, (and i have tried many versions due to living with my partner whos been lacto intollarence for years) but i tried a free from chocolate crisp bar (new in tescos) that i usually buy for my partner and well it did the job im very happy ive found a choc bar that i can have in desprate times that hasn't got animal products in it.
    Peace, Love and Coffee =)

It's just the grease with me... Like when you walk by a restaurant and smell their fryers, and it's that much worse when you're hungry. The easiest way for me is to try and keep my stomach full

Default Craving something non vegan...

For a couple of days I have been craving something non vegan... I hardly ever get this so I feel like I must be low in something. I have been taking iron so I don't think it's that.
    I have been sick for a few days too so it might be something to do with that.

I have just recently moved into college and seeing people cooking their meat and stuff made me feel sick at first but now I think it looks good. What is happening to me!!! Someone made potato bake tonight and I wanted some soo bad... I feel like eating meat and dairy.

I think I have been eating really well lately... heaps of beans/ lentils, veggies, grains, bread, fruit, soy milk and muslie. Maybe I need some nuts.

A lot of the food I make is mushy, I want something to chew on.
    And it's all kinda simlar. I make a lot of tomato based stuff, soups, beans, refried beans, stir fry, veggies and protien with spices basically, and sometimes a grain. I want something really different.
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 7th, 2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Hi Cate - sorry to hear you've been ill, it can do funny things to one's appetite.

It doesn't necessarily mean you're deficient in anything, as you have a good diet (though you could still try a multi-vitamin for a couple of days if you're feeling run down).

It could just be psychological, if what people are cooking are reminding you of things you used to like. Can you make vegan versions of some of the things you fancy? Potato bake can be vegan!

Regarding chewy stuff, raw foods such as carrots can be good, and nuts as you say. And to have something really different maybe you could experiment with a different nationality's cooking - curries maybe? Or Italian food - pizza is chewy, at least the way I make it ?

Hope you feel better soon and find something to satisfy!

It's not necesarily a craving but I would like some vegan marshmallows... I know that they exist but they're so expensive to buy!
    Houmous atá ann!

Cate - can you get hold of seitan? I think that makes a good chewy meat sub, especially if it's in a steak sized lump
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Blueberries - have you seen the Sweet Vegan mis-shapes on e-bay? They're still not really cheap, but cheaper than the regular ones. Or there's a recipe for marshmallows in one of my cookery books, I could find out which one if you're interested in trying that?

Hm, when I had the flu I wanted a cheese sandwich. Then for a couple of days wanted various dairy items. When I was fully recovered I was over it. I think it says something to only want such things when ill.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

It's not a craving, and I'm sure it's easy to make it non-vegan, but....I want a vegan Flake chocolate bar

Quote twinkle View Post
    Blueberries - have you seen the Sweet Vegan mis-shapes on e-bay? They're still not really cheap, but cheaper than the regular ones. Or there's a recipe for marshmallows in one of my cookery books, I could find out which one if you're interested in trying that?
    I hadn't actually, I'll look at that, thanks Twinkle! And it's very nice of you to offer to share your recipe with me. Have you tried it yourself, are theresults good? Does it need any mad ingedients?
    The only reason it's so expensive for me to buy marshmallows is just that I'd have to get them shipped from the UK or US and I'm never sure if I can justify spending so much money for a packet of sweets.
    Houmous atá ann!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VEGAN-VEGGIE-S...item3cb57eebf0

Don't think they ship outside the UK though
    Houmous atá ann!

Not so much a non-vegan craving, but I often crave baked goods, scones, cakes, pies, muffins, cookies et cetra. While I could and often do bake them for myself, I would just like to be able to go to a coffee shop and enjoy a decent scone or piece of pie with my latte, I don't think it's so much to ask.

I think if I ever have the capital to take on such a venture, I'm opening a vegan bakery.

Quote Arbar View Post
    It's not a craving, and I'm sure it's easy to make it non-vegan, but....I want a vegan Flake chocolate bar
    That would be lovely Arbar!

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    Not so much a non-vegan craving, but I often crave baked goods, scones, cakes, pies, muffins, cookies et cetra. While I could and often do bake them for myself, I would just like to be able to go to a coffee shop and enjoy a decent scone or piece of pie with my latte, I don't think it's so much to ask.

I think if I ever have the capital to take on such a venture, I'm opening a vegan bakery.
    I know exactly how you feel EYF.................If you ever open a vegan bakery, I'll make my way over to your part of the world for a visit!

There's this coffee shop and bakery that I really like by me that I was trying to get a job at so I could learn bread making, but mainly I was hoping they'd let me do a vegan pastry. It hasn't worked out unfortunately.

That's a pity. It's a great idea though.............if you could get into a place and then start introducing lovely vegan stuff!

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post

And when you do, please open another one in the UK! I'm the designated baker in my house, and just once I'd like to eat a cupcake I didn't make first.

I've been toying with the idea of setting up an Iron Cupcake type contest in Leicester (only all-vegan instead of just some vegan offerings, which I gather the other ones have been). I wonder how many people would be interested?

Brownies!!! my flatmate has made brownies the last couple of days and they've just been sitting out so anyone can help themselves, driving me insane every time I walk past, have been eating vegan cake and chocolate but I still want it when I see/smell it.

Can you make yourself some vegan ones, graham? I have never actually made them but I have had them and they were fine. Cherry's website is always pretty good: http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getreci...ecipe=brownies

Cheers, shall definitely give them a go , i think it's more just a general issue I have of seeing food and wanting it but oh well.

Bit thoughtless leaving them lying around in the circs - not sure what you could do to retaliate as everyone will be able to eat yours

Quote twinkle View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of setting up an Iron Cupcake type contest in Leicester (only all-vegan instead of just some vegan offerings, which I gather the other ones have been). I wonder how many people would be interested?
    I've never heard of such a thing but sounds like an interesting idea. I keep wanting to bake things for events they have round here...as I feel for the poor people who suffer and go without at these "events". Everyone deserves cake!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion