Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Glasgow

Default Vegan Glasgow

In Glasgow, Scotland, there are two good vegan places to eat only about 50 yds apart.

Mono is a fully vegan pub grub joint that sells books and records also. Reasonably priced, food good.

Across the road is the '13th Note' which is also a pub grub place, which is fully vegan. A bit of a dive, but the food is dirt cheap and the beer is good.

Both these places are suitable for dinner or then drinks at the bar with usually music (live).
    Last edited by flutterby; May 13th, 2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: moved from the Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London) thread
    That goverment is best which governs not at all. Thoreau

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

i live in glasgow. i was going to suggest these 2 places if they werent in here

for people living in glasgow, theres also a veggie/vegan/tea place called 'tchai ovna' down a hidden alley in the west end of glasgow (kelvinbridge)

look it up on google maps if you're going to try and find it its great!!

Talking Glasgow

Hello, I am a new vegan. Are there any other members who live in Glasgow? I look forward to meeting you all. Florence

Default Re: Glasgow

Hi Florence

I am traveling to Scotland this summer and will be ending my trip in Glasgow. Have you found any good restaurants yet?

A

Talking Re: Glasgow

Hello Aylish, I'm not sure how to use this site, but here goes!
    I don't eat out at all, but the two vegan restaurants are "Mono", "Grass Roots". There is also a bar which I think does food and I know is vegan called "13th Note". I can get the addresses and phone numbers for you but I think they are in "vegan" magazine. Where else are you visiting and where are you from?
    ENjoy your travels and stay safe. Florence.

Thanks Florence!

I'm Canadian, but both parents are Scots. This will be my third trip to Scotland. We are going to St. Andrews, Pitlochry, Rannoch Moor, Inverness, The Black Isle, Portree, Glencoe, Balquidder, Callandar, then Glasgow.

I love Scotland, in particular Glencoe. Gorgeous and no bears! I'm a little scared of bears (for no reason). We have beatiful landscapes in Canada, but bears and wolverines and mountain lions usually inhabit them. I'm a city girl, and admittedly have paranoid ideas about entering lands where I am nolonger the 'top of the food chain'. The way I see it, if I enter a non-human animals territory I'm fair game. No thanks.

So long story, I go to Scotland to camp and climb hills. I will look into the restaurants you mentioned. Thanks again!

Hi Aylish Wow, you are going to places in Scotland I have never been! (And I am quite old! ) I used to camp and climb at Glencoe too and loved it. When are you coming? Hopefully not till the better weather, if you are camping! At least you will be safe from the wild animals here - though there are some wild humans in Glasgow especially when the pubs come out!
    Was it your post about vegan ice-cream? I can't find my way around this website at all. We have a (small) site here called gvn (Glasgow Vegan Network) - don't know if you can get on unless you are resident in Glasgow, but search for us! I buy vegan ice-cream from Holland & Barrett here (health food shop, chain of them). It is called Swedish Glace but is made in England.I get the caramel flavour. mmmmmm
    Spring is just beginning here, and yet they forecast snow tomorrow. Brrr. How is it there? How many hours are you behind he UK?
    Where are your parents from in Scotland? I wonder if I went to school with them...You never know. Small planet.
    Take care. Florence
    Take care.

Hi Florence

Both my parents moved to Canada when they were quite young. I don't have any living relations in Scotland anymore. Although, I hope some day to live in Scotland, Glasgow in particular. But that is far in the future.

My Mom and I will be travelling to Scotland May 1 -11. I really hope the weather is dry at least. I really want to see the hills. It is amazing how diffrent the landscape looks when the low clouds roll in. Beautiful and atmospheric, but I have plans to tackle a hill in Glencoe that beat me last time.

We are staying at a B&B in the West-end of Glasgow. I am hoping that this is a good location for walking and seeing things. My mom is dead set on NOT driving in Glasgow, so the car will be left at the airport. I'm going to try to find that site you mentioned. Thanks for that! Then it is off to bed. It is 12:30 or so here, I think I am 5 or 5.5 hours behind you. So, good morning!!

Aylish

I'm from Paisley, a 15 minute train journey away, and I'd love to meet some fellow vegans since I'm the only one I know and I feel a bit isolated at times- thank goodness for the internet!!! I've pmed you btw Florence!

Where is this Grassroots place btw? I've been to the other two.

If anyone's up for a meet, let's try to arrange a place and time!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Unicorn lady from Paisley (sorry your name has gone out of my head!) If you can find the Glasgow Vegan Network, (gvn) website, there are lots of nice vegans on there. Posts range from quite academic/scientific or spiritual topics to animal activism to recipes and lighter chat. Wide age range. I'm afraid I never go out but they have social/eating meets (not meats!) about monthly, I believe. Florence.

Ooooh I'll have to have a look for that- cheers!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE! i've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up! i live in glasgow..and get really bored cos i am the only vegan i know! i'd be well up for meeting up

when is this all going to take place?
    ooh..i've heard of mono and 13th note but i have never heard of grass roots i am gonna go find it online!

eee *excited*

Wink Re: Glasgow

Hi. I live in Glasgow and eat out quite often, have visited Mono, Grassroots and 13th Note ALL GOOD! Mono is the only completely vegan restaurant but the other 2 do vegan/veggie. I was pleasantly surprised that Cafe Mao (Merchant City) and Mother India (West-end) both are vegan friendly. Particularly Mao, the only thing that wasn't vegan on their veggie marked menu was the spring rolls. You just have to explain what you don't eat! Another restaurant we have been to is The Metropolitan (Merchant City) and we had a lovely meal, this time we had to book in advance to let the chef know.

My only ridiculously bad experience was at D'Maggio's when I explained that I was vegan and they offered me chicken???!

Anyhoo better do some work now...

P.s Mono has a shop and record store... oh and try their homemade pink lemonade mmmm!

tho, i live in edinburgh, i go to glasgow quite often... i love mono cafe!

would love to meet some other vegans as well... let me know if you guys plan a meet-up!

bbb
    xxx

Yes, Pookah, the Mono lemonade is amazing - means I have no regrets about going teetotal as well as vegan!
    Love your avatar, BadBoredBoney! It makes me laugh every time. (Why do my cats not laugh like that?)
    We're all busy on gvn campaigning against Dairy and against Bird CUll. Are you folks doing any animal activism? Of course, you're saving animals every mealtime. Florence.

Blueshark

I have family who live in Glasgow, and sometimes visit. Will have to check out Mono cafe.

Do they have a website link?

Glasgow calling Belgium! Yes, Mono has a website, in fact, there are several if you do a Google search! The address is 10 King's Court. Tell your friends in Glasgow it is very near Glasgow Cross, behind the Tron theatre. Do you speak French or German? I used to try to speak both. Un peu. Ein Bisschen. Best wishes, Florence.

I go to uni in stirling so i've been to glasgow and i found grassroots, it was great. it's on Woolands Road, a wee walk northwest from St George's Road and the M8. i have to go back. and i also need to check out the restaurants.

i would also be very keen to meet people for lunch if anyone is up for it.

What are you studying at Stirling, Blue Penguin?
    The Grassroots restaurant is just round the corner from the Grassroots shop.
    Mono is at Glasgow Cross and it also has a vegan shop.
    I just followed you onto the politics thread and discovered the PAD site. Want to do lots more political work for animals. Florence.

Thanks. I'm an Urban Geography (city planning) major in the states, taking up journalism (my minor field of study in the states) as a visiting third-year undergrad at striling.

i would love to do some political work, not sure exactly where to begin, being an american (my excuse for everything). i also dont have any vegan friends here so if i can find someone to do it with, that would solve half the problem.

Question Re: Glasgow

Hellooo! Have to confess up until now I have been more of a petition signer and monkey sponserer (BUAV) than actively campaigning for animal rights. Blue Penguin, I would like to do more as well but as a Dundonian (my excuse for everything! lol) i'm not sure where to start either. I'll probably contact Advocates for Animals in Edinburgh as a starting point. Just need to get off my behind and do something.

How are we all doing today? Thinking about going to Wagamama's for lunch....mmmmmmmmmmm!

Greetings, Pookah and Penguin Hope you will sign my e-petition to the Scotty Parly if I ever get the wording right and get it accepted for submission. It is for vaccination not slaughter of the chickens. Next week lot of leafletting in Glasgow against Dairy (it being Mother's Day) - ask Viva for leaflets and just give them out in a busy spot near you. I might start a petition against export of live calves as now the beef ban is lifted, this is what they will do again. Those poor babies. Have a good weekend. Come and see us on the Glasgow Vegan Network soon. Florence.PS Did you see the big article on 15th (Wed) in The Independent on veganism? Look it up on line!

it was a decent article in The Independent. I found a related thread here:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=146814

florence, where are you leafletting? i dont have any vegan mates about here, would love to join you.
    i made a note of the meetup at Mono on Sat 1 April, and I will be there

Blue Pengui, hi, thanks! Thought I would leaflet in Buchanan Street in Glasgow near Borders Bookshop (Sat 25th in the afternoon). I will be on my own and want to get petition signed against live export of calves as well as give out anti-Dairy leaflets. I am an old lady of 54 but there are other groups lefaletting in Argyle Street outside Tesco Metro at same time - you would meet vegan mates there, make younger friends, though I hope you'll come and say hello to me too! I am not standing with them because of the cow costume which I don't really like, not my style of respecting the animals, but they do good work. I have not met any Glasgow vegans either but e-mail several through the Glasgow Vegan Network. Have you got any leaflets? Florence

Quote Florence
    Have you got any leaflets? Florence
    I'm going to get some.
    I'm not sure if I can come in on Saturday but I guess the leaflets are most important, as it doesn't matter where or when I give them out.
    Thanks.

Cool Re: Glasgow

Yes that's right, B- Peng (can't bear to call you BP!) and the more towns that are covered, the better. Stirling is a good place to do - lot of "thinking", liberated, developed people up there, I sense. Are you getting VIVA leaflets? I might do some door-to-door in areas I think they would be read. As you say, it can be any time. Sadly, the cruelties go on all year round. GOOD LUCK !!! Florence.

yea i never thought of that acronym . argh@$#%!
    thanks for the tips.

It could stand for Brilliant (or Beautiful) Person! So that's ok! Florence

i cant get logged into the gvn site

i was sent log in details about a month ago but everytime i try to log in, it says i have not been approved or something so i emailed them asking for a new set of log in details and i've heard nothing back.

i really wanna join but it wont let me

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

i found stereo, the grungy veggie pub in glasgow. only drawback was that we went on saturday & sunday..and werent serving food on either days. they said they only serve on thursdays.. ?!? confusing..

the other place i found is not a vegan or veggie place, but its very veg-friendly.. its called "fressh" - its a juice bar, and its also kinda like a cafe, sells soups, sandwhiches and salads. its on Cochrane Street in Glasgow.

http://www.fressh.com

they have like humous salads, and vegan soups as well as food for meat eaters, like chicken baguettes. its a good place to go with friends who have varied food-interests

Been a while since anyone posted here but thought I'd say hi. I live in Erskine but I'm in Glasgow lots, would be nice to meet some local vegans.

Calling Glasgow vegans! I want to chat on this board again, if there is anybody still around. Cheers.
    Florence

*waves* hi Florence, had you given up the board?

Red face Re: Glasgow

Hi Purple Rose. Well, I had been very busy on another vegan site, but they have upset me , so I am looking for new friends now . I am not sure how to use this site really. (Dah.) Florence.

Aww thats ashame *hug* hopefully you'll have a better time here.

it's easy enough to use the site, I use alot of forums with the same style, if you ever get lost just go up to the top and click The Vegan Forum - a vegan message board and it will take you back to the index.

Use the user cp to check on the threads you have posted on and click on New Posts for the active discussions happening at that time.

Hi there... I haven't posted here for a while. How's everyone doing?

Red face Re: Glasgow

Thanks. What's cp? Is there an instant chat room thingie? Are you in Glasgow? Have you found any other vegan sites in Glasgow?
    Florence

If you scroll to the top of the page you will see a blue bar with some links to various bits of the site and one of them is User CP (control panel) go in there and it will show any threads you have replied on that have had replies since then. Does that make sense? It does in my world anyways hehe.

I'm outside Glasgow but near enough, I live in Erskine but I'm in Glasgow loads seeing as theres nothing in Erskine. Are you in Glasgow?

I saw the Glasgow Vegan Network but for some reason I can't get my yahoo ID to work to join so I gave up, other than that I haven't seen any others, I don't know any vegans at all.

Quote pookah
    Hi there... I haven't posted here for a while. How's everyone doing?
    no bad pookah, how be you?

Wink Re: Glasgow

HI Purple Rose and Pookah,
    Hope I am doing this right. It keeps making me log in again.
    Are you a member of gvn, Pookah? It seems very difficult to get onto. They are maybe starting a separate Campaigning group. They don't like campaigners or people who like discussion!!!
    Florence

You should be able to click a bit at log in that says remember me so that you dont have to re log in all the time.

Yes I have tried that. Nobody remembers me!!! Now I can't find the wee faces. Oh I am too old for this site!!!
    Florence

I have msn messenger. How would I get that to show on this?

Quote Purplerose
    no bad pookah, how be you?
    I'm doing pretty good actually - despite being at work I'm quite clearly doing nothing! But if I keep typing I will look super busy...

I don't go out much in Glasgow, don't go out much at all lol except to see bands etc. BUT when I do go out it's normally down to Mono to stuff my face and then a few drinkies or ten.

Where are the current 'hot spots' in Glasgow for us vegans? Does anyone ever meet up?

What's everyone else up to?

I tried to log on to the GVN but the website was blocked by the administrator at my work as an 'illegal' website lol! I'll have to try from home... if I can get my boyfriend off of the computer long enough...

There seems to be quite a few people that have had a problem with it.

Quote Florence
    I have messenger too but the version at work is 'dodgy' have to get it upgraded...

I presume if I add it to my profile you can message or email that account???

Quote Florence
    go to USER CP > On the left menu EDIT OPTIONS > Scroll down to Instant Messaging then enter your msn in the wee box then save changes.

And you aint old at all pfft!

The gvn (a small group of them anyway) meet at Mono first Sat of each month at about 3 and have a VEGAN mag on the table. Maybe you could ask to join. The moderator is called Jey and his woman is Wendy.
    It is a strange one to get onto. Are you trying the address
    gvn@yahoogroups.com
    ?
    Florence

Didn't see Instant Messaging on the CP

[QUOTE=Florence]The gvn (a small group of them anyway) meet at Mono first Sat of each month at about 3 and have a VEGAN mag on the table. Maybe you could ask to join. The moderator is called Jey and his woman is Wendy.

Hmmm, asking to join, that's like re-living your first day at school! would be a bold step for me...

Got to go for now. Thanks for chat. Will look in later. Florence