Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Glasgow

Default Re: Glasgow

Quote Florence
    Didn't see Instant Messaging on the CP
    Its about halfway down the edit profile page

You can do it, Pookah! You survived that first day at school! Just don't mention my name, or you won't get in! (Long story.....) Florence (my real name)

[quote=pookah]
    Quote Florence
    The gvn (a small group of them anyway) meet at Mono first Sat of each month at about 3 and have a VEGAN mag on the table. Maybe you could ask to join. The moderator is called Jey and his woman is Wendy.

Hmmm, asking to join, that's like re-living your first day at school! would be a bold step for me...
    at least its online and not face to face

I would quite like to go to a meet up but feel dead shy about approaching a group of folk in person that I don't know.

Right I got my Hotmail put on for the msn Instant Messaging. Hey I am coming on, eh! My great great great grand-kids will be proud of me! (kidding...) Well it is pretty poor that gvn will not reply to you as I got moaned at that their numbers were reducing because I put on too many posts and campaigns and discussions! So you would think they would want new folk. They have about 112 members but only a handful post regularly. I was thinking of starting a Glasgow Women's Vegan Group on yahoo online groups. Will let you know if I do it.

ANyway I better go now and do the zillion chores and keep my cat company. Keep in touch - is my e-mail on? florence_martin@hotmail.com
    Bye vegangals ! Florence.

Default Glasgow Restaurants/Food Places

Ok there is the UK Restaurants thread but I'd like to narrow it down a little.

What I mainly want to know is where have you been that has been good for vegans? I don't mean just places like Mono and the 13th Note, I mean all eateries in Glasgow.

Have you been to places that are helpful or incredibly unhelpful?

Where is your favourite restaurant in and around Glasgow?

Aside from restaurants, where else do you get food? Are there any cafes/shops/take aways where you can buy something to eat?

Is there anywhere out there that says it is suitable but you aren't too sure?

Smile Re: Glasgow Restaurants/Food Places

I go to Wagamama's and get the Chilli Mein (spelling a bit dodgy) but ask for rice or udon noodles as the noodles it comes with have egg in (spew). There is also a soup/noodle combo on the menu that is ok, but I haven't tried it.

Cafe Mao down in the Merchant City, they were super helpful and went through everything that was ok on their menu.

The Metropolitan again in the Merchant City were v good, went there for my 30th. We phoned ahead and they said that they would have something available on the day. When we went there they had provided us with 2 options for the starter and main, which I was really pleased about as their normal menu only has dairy heavy veggie food.

Cafe India up the West End were good the first time but we had to specify no ghee. The second time we went they had dumped yoghurt on the curry so NOT going back.

Dhabba AGAIN in the Merchant City were helpful when informed I was vegan, and pointed out all available options.

My other half went to 78 St Vincent Street for a works do and they provided a vegan option for him, once again phoned ahead.

By far the worst place I went to was Di' Maggios, they offered me chicken!

I don't tend to buy sandwiches from shops that make them up as I don't trust them, they never seem to clean the knives! There's a great wee health food shop off of Bath Street, can't remember the name of the street!

Today for lunch i've got a Trufree rice and lentil quick snack pot thingy, v yummy...

Default Re: Glasgow Restaurants/Food Places

Quote pookah

By far the worst place I went to was Di' Maggios, they offered me chicken!
    pmsl thats ashame cos it was my fave restaurant, surely they could at least do the basic tomato n basil pasta, even bruscetta at the start wouldn't be hard to veganise.

I know! In the end I had a pizza without cheese which was ok... All their pasta is made with egg

Where do you eat out?

Quote pookah
    I know! In the end I had a pizza without cheese which was ok... All their pasta is made with egg

Where do you eat out?
    I've just went vegan again so I haven't had to deal with it yet.

But when I was vegan before the majority of indian restaurants are usually happy to help. My parents are indian food junkies so they know most of the restaurants and usually know the manager of the restaurants so they are always bending over backwards to help lol.

I'd say the least helpful was ichiban, I phoned them the other day to say I was vegan and said what that meant and was wondering if any of their dishes were suitable for vegans and if not would they be able to make it vegan. All I got was "NO!" then they slammed the phone down on me

Glad to know Wagamama is ok though.

Talking Re: Glasgow Restaurants/Food Places

I'd say the least helpful was ichiban...

Thanks for letting me know, I was going to try there but won't bother now! I'm going to Waga's on Sunday for a giant bowl of chilli tofu...mmmmm

Okay now I'm hungry!

Have a good weekend and enjoy the bank holiday.

Yumla chinese restaurant in Queen St were very helpful and happy to make up things for customers as well as already having a good vegan variety already on the menu.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Talking THE 78 Opens in Glasgow

http://www.theherald.co.uk/goingout/...289714.0.0.php

Excerpt from article in The Herald

THE 78
    10-14 Kelvinhaugh Street, Glasgow
    0141 576 5018
    Style: Organic a-go-go
    Cost: Pint of Freedom lager, £3.30; 175ml glass of house wine, £2.80
    Best for: Ethical drinkers
    Not for: Boors, posers and bargain hunters
    Wheelchair access: Yes

Besides lesser-spotted drinks brands, vegan food is another echo of Mono, to which The 78 is connected.

Woohoo, another vegan friendly place in Glasgow... yet to try it but ever the optimist I reckon it's at least good to have a choice.
    Last edited by flutterby; Apr 11th, 2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: THE 78 Opens in Glasgow

I've heard it's really good. I'm gonna check it out at the end of the month.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

EN Trading, Glasgow City Centre - West Regent Street
    Its an eco friendly shop which has a small cafe inside. All the food is veggie but there are a lot of vegan options - vegan bacon, sausages, vegi-chicken and quite a few other things. I can recommend the BLT with vegan bacon and vegan mayo!

http://www.entrading.co.uk/

They also sell a lot of faith in nature and ecover household products. Worth a visit.

Default EN trading - cafe in Glasgow

This may have been posted before but I've just discovered Entrading cafe/organic shop Glasgow (on the corner of Regent Street and Hope Street) who sell vegan filled rolls. The BEST thing is that they do vegan 'bacon' rolls... a bit pricey but super tasty (and MASSIVE!).
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 20th, 2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: THE 78 Opens in Glasgow

Quote Purplerose View Post
    I've heard it's really good. I'm gonna check it out at the end of the month.
    Did you go? and if so, was it any good?

i will be in glasgow in september if everything is alright. Any places i have to go ?
    i will check those above. Glasgow seems vegan friendly, i like it !

There is a good list here from the Glasgow University Vegan Society...

http://www.gla.ac.uk/clubs/vegan/glasgowshops.html

I've not been on this forum for ages, sorry guys! Mind if I bump this? Any Glaswegian vegans still about?
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

I'm a Glaswegian Vegan and I'm about!!

cobweb

I'm (hopefully) getting a very short visit to Glasgow soon, to go to the Dr Who exhibition at the Kelvingrove Museum. Can anyone tell me please, how near is to the main bus station? (hard to tell from a map and i've not been there before). I will be walking with my son and 2 backpacks.

Thanks!.

Also, IF i get chance, is there anywhere i just MUST go for food, etc?

The bus station is town and the museum's in the West End, so it's probably too far to walk. Don't take my word for it but I think you can just get the subway from Buchanan Street, where the bus station is or used to be, to Kelvinhall, which is near the museum. http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/...d=43&venueid=4

We had quite a nice meal in Mono, near Trongate, when we were in Glasgow again recently. The Kelvingrove museum cafe has apparently-vegan hummus sandwiches but they're not cheap. (Am afraid we didn't go to see Dr Who so can't report on that!)

The bus station is a bit far from the West End. Like Harpy said you can get the tube from Buchanan St to Kelvinhall, and Buchanan St tube station is a short walk from the bus station (it's basically round the corner, but hard to explain in text). The price for a return adult ticket is £2.40, I'm not sure about kids tickets.

There is a fantastic vegan restaurant called The 78 which is a short walk from the museum. It's off Argyle St which is the street that the museum is on, and on a road called Kelvinhaugh St, it's open from noon. If you google-map it you can see where it is. Other than that there are a few other vegan restaurants in the city centre; Mono, Stereo (both vegan) and 13th Note (vegetarian/vegan). All of them are good, they all have websites with menus on them.

Oh and of course Glasgow Uni is very close to the museum, and it has 2 cafe/bistro type places that are open to the public and do soup, sweet things, sandwiches and a hot meal everyday which are all vegan One is called One A The Square (or OATS) and the other is called The HUB or The Fraser Building.

^wot Snowy said. I live just across the road from the museum. Hope you've booked your tickets cause it's booked up weeks in advance. Definitely visit the 78 (if you can find it). The coconut chilli is fantastic. You can get a 747 bus that departs from the bus station every half hour and will take you right to the door!

cobweb

that's all great, thankyou all!

I have to plan in advance as i can't think straight when my son's with me. I'm actually wishing now that we had more time in Glasgow - it'll just be a few hours, then back on the Megabus to Aberdeen, where we'll spend 2 days before going home on the ferry. I didn't want to be away that long but the ferries don't run every day

I have booked tickets for the Dr Who thing, someone was meant to be trying to organise a carer to take my son as i shouldn't really leave my husband at home (and he can't travel) - but they were being pathetically slow about sorting it all out. As usual i felt i had to do something myself - can't have my son missing out on this.

Ah i forgot about Mono, i keep thinking its in Edinburgh . The 78 also sounds good.

Kids tickets on the subway are £1.20 return, I think. The 78 is definitely where you want to be heading - they changed their menu on Monday (I know it was Monday because I went there on Sunday and Monday because I'm an addict) and it's veeeeery good. Three kinds of burgers!! It's in walking distance of the museum, maybe ten minutes away at most, but you kinda need to know where you're going or it can be hard to find. Googlemapping is the way forward! And if you find yourself with time to kill in the city centre afterwards, head for Stereo. Even though their new menu isn't as good as the old one, it's still worth a visit. And for your long megabus journey back up, the shop in the bus station (the one next to the café) sells vegan pasties, vegan saussage rolls (both at 99p a pop), pasta-tray thingies (£1.99 but they were thinking about upping it to £2.25), all produced by Jordan Valley Health Foods, as well as your standard overpriced fayre you'd expect from such a place. Good luck!

cobweb

ooh, thanks Declan, that is great!
    i wish i had planned this better and had more time in Glasgow but really hope to squeeze in a trip to The 78 (mm, burgers!)!

I put a pic of Declan's noodles from The 78 on the photo thread

In the 13th note last night and had the potato/mushroom/pea croquettes with pepper sauce!
    Absolutely recommend to anyone!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Thanks gogs. Glad you enjoyed it! There's so much choice in Glasgow now that I haven't been to the 'Note in a few months. I had the pad thai last time but it was a bit meh. I think it was the same week they changed their menu so they've probably improved since

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Thanks gogs. Glad you enjoyed it! There's so much choice in Glasgow now that I haven't been to the 'Note in a few months. I had the pad thai last time but it was a bit meh. I think it was the same week they changed their menu so they've probably improved since
    They used to do a brilliant curry which i was gonna get, but it's been changed as well.
    Mate of mine persuaded me not to get it as he'd tried it last month and couldn't finish it, it was so hot!
    I like the note, the whole idea of a veggie/vegan pub that puts bands on is kinda like some utopia, lol!
    if only Edinburgh had something like that!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I like the note, the whole idea of a veggie/vegan pub that puts bands on is kinda like some utopia, lol!
    if only Edinburgh had something like that!
    All of the Glasgow vegan restaurants double up as gig venues. We even have a vegan nightclub now! (well, run by the same group as Mono etc). Free toast!

http://www.myspace.com/theflyingduck

Quote jimmeh View Post
    All of the Glasgow vegan restaurants double up as gig venues. We even have a vegan nightclub now! (well, run by the same group as Mono etc). Free toast!

http://www.myspace.com/theflyingduck

I think i'm getting officially jealous!

On a side note i wandered through the Gallowgate last night!!!! What an absolute state. I know it's never exactly been Manhattan but, jeez, even the Sarry Head was closed, not a chippy or newsagent to be seen, steel shutters everywhere, was like a ghost town!

I know - I only really go as far as Mono into the East End. I'm a softie West Ender and it's like a completely different world. People are often scared coming to Glasgow but it's so big you don't really see the 'bad' areas unless you go to them specifically. I suppose they're trying to regenerate the East End for the Commonwealth Games coming up. As you say, it's never going to be perfect

I know the East end pretty well, but it's been years since i was there and, even if it was a scummy hole before, at least there was some life to it!

Although i remember the Merchant city when it wasnae safe to walk about, all change there with their pavement cafes and bars!

But The Gallowgate..........not a shop in sight open, pubs all boarded up,even the neds and junkies seemed absent, was a bit surreal!

Ach well, nostalgia's a thing of the past, eh? lol

Had a great meal at the 13th Note on Tuesday - had the pad thai and really liked it, best tofu I have had in ages. Friends had haggis etc, and the thai risotto cakes (can't remember exactly) and they all tasted great. Sigh. I've got to be in Glasgow weekend after next for a conference and will skip the official dinner to go to Stereo or Mono - can't decide. Haven't been to Mono in a long time, so that might win out... what do you recommend? (They charge £25 a head for the official dinner, in some Italian place which specialises in stag and hen nights! No, I'll have my cheaper and nicer vegan meal in somewhere a bit civilised, so much for networking!)

And yeah, Gogs, Edinburgh sucks compared to Glasgow, vegan-wise but not in any other way, of course. (I'm not from here, so I can be partisan with a clean conscience).

Go to The 78 if you fancy a short jaunt to the West End AnneCE! It's the best for food I think.

Hi guys! Im moving to Glasgow in about two weeks! I love mono, 78 and 13th note! All fab. If anyone is looking for a room actually, I'm looking for a flatmate!! It would be nice to have a vegan flatmate!

Lee xxx

I'll be in Glasgow from the 13th-15th of August (although I leave early on the 15th). I know there are several forum member in Glasgow and I'd like to possibly meet up. It would be especially nice if I could stay with one of you during my time there, but I am also requesting places to stay on CouchSurfing, so no biggies if it's not convenient to let me stay. The main thing is just to have a meet-up!
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Hey Matt. I was going to put you up before I knew your dates, but I'm going to a festival that weekend so will be leaving very early on the 13th unfortunately. There has been an email sent round to see if anyone else can have you. I'm so sorry I'll miss you, I was really looking forward to it

Awww, that's really unfortunate! I really would have liked to meet you. Thanks for sending out an e-mail though. Sorry to be missing you, too. Enjoy the festival!

So I'll be in Glasgow on the 13th and 14th. Does anyone still want to meet up? I'm also still looking for a place to stay (just the night of the 13th), if anyone can put me up.

I know a bunch of us will be happy to meet up still Any preference for when/where?

There's a good Euro hostel in the city centre that you could try?

I don't know the area, really, so I'll trust you to decide on a place that I might like. I'm up for anything.

cobweb

I enjoyed my recent visit, including the Kelvingrove museum and The 78 restaurant.

Hey WeeLee,
    I am back from Thailand, if you are still looking for a vegan flatmate let me know.
    :smile:

Default Re: Vegan Glasgow

Just a reminder for all people in the Central Scotland area who haven't found us yet - the Glasgow Vegan Meetup Group usually has a meetup every few weeks or so. Dinners, lunches, leafleting, hillwalking picnics, potlucks. We're a nice bunch
    http://www.meetup.com/glasgowvegan/

hey all, I'm looking to move to Glasgow in August, looking for vegan flatmates, either a flat that has a room or someone looking to share a flat, if you or anyone you know fits the bill gimmie a shout

Hi Roddy,

I lived in a meat-free (largely vegan), eco-living flat in the West End until quite recently and as far as I know they'll be looking for new flatmates for august, you might want to give them a shout? westend.intentionalcommunity@googmail.com x