Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Ireland

Arrow Vegan Ireland

"Vegan Ireland & Vegetarian Ireland" is HERE.

The Vegan and Vegetarian Guide to Ireland can now be found here . Could be very handy.

Question Vegans and Ireland

Morning everybody!
    My wife, cats and I are looking to relocate to Southern Ireland from the UK at some point in the near future (hopefully!) and I just wondered if there are any vegans on here from that fair isle or if anyone has experience of being vegan in Ireland. Any input greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    Justin

Default Re: Vegans and Ireland

hey, i live in galway in the west of Ireland. it can be tricky being vegan here but it's not TOO bad. there are health food stores with a fairly good range of products, eating out can be a pain though because there are hardly any veggie restaurants in ireland. most places will whip you up a vegan meal if you ask though, i usually say i'm allergic to dairy, eggs ect. because if you tell people over here you're vegan they look at you like you've got three heads and you'll probably end up with cheese on your meal.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

This thread is a bit old, but someone might find it useful, so...

I live in Cork (south of Ireland),I don't have any difficulty buying Vegan foods as there are a lot of health food stores in the city and in most shopping centres etc. Eating out is a bit tricky, but there are two vegetarian/vegan restauants -that I know of- in Cork: The Quay Co-op, which has a fantastic shop downstairs, and Cafe Paradiso (gourmet restaurant).

This might be also useful >> http://vegans.frommars.org/pocket_guide_to_ireland.pdf
    "Everybody has a heart. Except some people." -Bette Davis

Default Vegan Dublin / Eire

I might be able to pop over to Dublin for a day or so. Are there any good places that do Vegan food, or is taking a rucksack full of cereal bars a good idea?

Is Anywhere else in Eire / Ulster good for a visit as a Vegan?

Thanks.

feral

Although I didn't eat in it I called into Blazing Salads in 42 Drury StreetDublin 2 and it's a fantastic shop, they had a cheese counter and meat products but they also had the freshest fruit & veg selection I've ever seen, although a bit expensive looking.
    I had some fruit crumble in Juice 73 South Great Georges StreetDublin 2 which is near Blazing Salads and it was lovely. Seemed to be a good vegan menu & nice ambiance.
    There is also a really good Mexican cafe in Temple bar, I forget the name but it was painted in bright colours & their food was delicious.
    Nourish 16 Wicklow Street Dublin 2, near the h'penny bridge was good for vegan bits & pieces from their fridge.
    If you get a chance I'd recommend the river cruise that leaves from the front of the Arlington Hotel (also near the h'penny bridge) 45mins of interesting snippets about Dublin & the day pass on the open topped bus is really good value.

paulvegan

have a look in the vegan soc mag for groups etc, there was a vegan b&b down south

Hi there I am new to this site.
    If you are going outside of Dublin there is an organic vegan bed and breakfast in county Limerick, they have a website but I have never been there myself. Let me know if you want the link to the website.
    I live in a rural area so obviously there aren't any vegan restuarants around that I know of, I usually end up eating salad and chips/baked spud when I am out. Get to know the owner of your local health food shop and they are generally more than happy to order in stuff for you that they don't have in stock. Hope this helps.
    Emam

Thanks. If you could PM me the link to that B&B that would be really helpful. I probably won't be going until next year, but I can keep the details to one side.

Theres nothing wrong with posting a link.

www.cussenscottage.com

Ta.

Cornucopia (Wicklow Street, Dublin 2) is another good place for visitors to the city, central location & clearly marks which options are vegan. Usually packed but that has to be a good sign!

Fresh (top floor powerscourt townhouse centre, South William St. Dublin 2) also have vegan options & large portions!!

Feral mentioned Blazing Salads (http://www.blazingsalads.com) in her post, it's probably my favourite place for food in Dublin, get the vegan pizza!!!!

Default vegan ireland

hi there,
    i'm prety new to this forum but it's an excellent resource.
    i live in dublin/ireland so if you've any questions about veggie issues in ireland then post them here
    take care,
    niall
    Last edited by flutterby; Oct 17th, 2006 at 07:48 PM. Reason: this was the first post in a similar thread

Hello,

could anyone tell me where I can find vegan toothpaste and soap in Dublin?

Thanks

Nourish have a few shops in Dublin http://www.nourishonline.ie/healthshop/Main/About.htm

Also the Dublin Food Co-op is open every Saturday between 9am and 3pm. It's in St Andrews Resource Centre, Pearse Street, Dublin 2
    www.dublinfoodcoop.com

LUSH have some outlets in Dublin too, Grafton Street and Henry Street. There are loads more places but these are a good starter

Thanks niallmc.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for the great recommendations - had fantastic meals in Juice, Fresh and the Cedar Tree in Dublin at the weekend, and a lovely lunch in the Quay Co-op in Cork City yesterday (although they had a honey and ginger dressing on their supposedly vegan rice salad).

Happy tummy!

you really have to know where to get your vegan stuff in dublin, and like it has been said before if ya tell anyone you're vegan they still look at you as of you have three heads...MUPPETS!!

juice is my fave to eat out, its YUM!!
    [live each day as if it were your last]
    rita

i usually have no problem, consult www.frommars.org and you'll get a whole list of places that are vegan friendly.
    the menu in juice never changes and i don't lke the fact they NEVER have vegan spread or vegan cream and the only desert they do is sugar free crumble with expensive swedish glace added on.

Cafe Fresh in the Powerscourt Shopping Centre in Dublin is a vegetarian restaurant and will cater for vegans (with a smile instead of a grumble).

Quote niallmc View Post
    i usually have no problem, consult www.frommars.org and you'll get a whole list of places that are vegan friendly.
    the menu in juice never changes and i don't lke the fact they NEVER have vegan spread or vegan cream and the only desert they do is sugar free crumble with expensive swedish glace added on.
    see im only slowly sussing out all the places will have a look at that website...
    rita

Quote Robert View Post
    Cafe Fresh in the Powerscourt Shopping Centre in Dublin is a vegetarian restaurant and will cater for vegans (with a smile instead of a grumble).
    i know, they do lovely lunch...
    rita

im heading to dublin in a few weeks...anyone know where i can find a share house with vegans or vegetarians...i plan on living there..someone let me know...also if anyone wants to meet up..let me know

it might be a bit difficult find a vegan house to share... check out www.daft.ie tho. ya can find accom on there. well lemme know when you're here and we can go veganize the city!!
    rita

i suggest you try this mailing list
    Vegans_Ireland@yahoogroups.co.uk
    - also if you're into music then try this forum www.thumped.com/bbs
    contact vegsoc@ireland.com and see if they have suggestions
    Take care and good luck with the move
    Niall
    Last edited by flutterby; Sep 5th, 2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: for Irish Veg Festival 2007 info, see http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16520

Default Re: Vegan Republic of Ireland

hey guys!
    im lookin for a vegan or at last vegetarian housemates cuz im lookin for a flat right now..
    im 23 year old boy, vegan straight edge and very very nice )
    if you're lookin for any place let me know please!! Send me txt or somethin

0879044941 - Marty

Dublin meet-up planned for Saturday 12th April.

Can you make it??

For further details go to:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...766#post438766
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

I'm heading off to Dublin for the weekend unexpectedly! I've been several times before so I'm really looking forward to it.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Have a nice time Marrers.

(Wish I was going there!).

Mousee!!

yo ho ho ho from Cork!
    vegan here! anyone else here in cork city?

pavotrouge

anyone in Dublin in late July?

i might be in dublin around the 29th and 30th of july. i'm visiting a friend in cork the weekend before that, if anyone there want to meet up for a spot of vegan lunch?

Greetings to the Irish!
    I've decided to visit Ireland after meeting many amazing Irish people in Australia--there are so many Irish there that I wondered who was watching the place while they were all gone!
    Anyhow, saw this thread and decided to take advantage of the legendary Irish friendliness and ask for travel advice---what cities should i definately see? Let me give you a bit of backround info: I'm a 22 yr old uni student from Canada so I would love to go to the pubs/clubs in the bigger cities some nights BUT I'm also a huge history and architecture buff so I would be perfectly happy exploring local museums and castles/historical sites. I also love gorgeous landscapes and anywhere along the coast (I head that Ireland is a lot like New Zealand in terms of lush greeness and I was completely in awe my entire tour through NZ so I'll definately want to see some of Ireland's natural beauty) Also, I'd be coming next summer (either june or August).

Sorry to pollute your thread with my touristy questions! And thanks in advance for answering them
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. ~Oscar Wilde

Mousee!!

i know a couple from canada who got me into veganism and i will always be in their dept.
    take abow trudi(dont know her second name) and tariq Kahn. theses people are legends.
    i love you both.
    i think they are in vancouver, B.C.
    miss these guys a lot.

Does anybody know what happened with Steph and Ita of Cussens Cottage? They suddenly dropped out of the vegan magazines.

I'm gutted, I used to love going there. Ita was a magical loon

I will be visiting Dublin for a Muse concert in August but there Mon to Thu so plenty of chances to explore the vegan places to eat, on the Mon Im going out for a meal with 3 people (non vegan/veggie) iff the Muse Forum - all happy to try veggie/vegan food - Im thinking of booking a table at Juice? Menu looks good and want somewhere we can sit down and chat!

Im hoping my hotel will come up with something I can eat for breccy but are the Nourish health shops the best places for take out foods?

Any ideas on where is currently good to eat?

Thanks

AlisonT - you will find this site useful:

http://vegans.frommars.org/ireland/

Thanks Frank, will have a good look later on

pavotrouge

we had lunch at Govinda's (Middle Abbey Street branch) today and it was really good. ask for what's vegan and get them to shovel as much as possible onto the plate for 8.50 €

I didn't go to Nourish but think Blazing Salads is the best place for take-away savoury stuff like sandwiches, pasties etc.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Thanks will need somewhere to get some food for the gig from - i wont be risking some burger van a nice take out box will be great (just hope Marley park allow you to take food in - shall argue my case if not)

Blazing salads is probably the best place for veggie takeaway -

Quote Aradia View Post
    Does anybody know what happened with Steph and Ita of Cussens Cottage? They suddenly dropped out of the vegan magazines.

I'm gutted, I used to love going there. Ita was a magical loon
    Cussens Cottage is now closed, stephen has his own buisness fixing computers and Ita does some keep fit classes i think. Both are still involved with irish vegetarian society.
    Green lodge, further south is still open and is a great place to visit

Anyone tried this place?

http://www.thelottscafebar.com/

A review of it said the chef was vegan - but cooks omi/fish/veggie and vegan?

If time i may investigate but will prob stick to the all veggie/vegan places

Am back - had a great trip to Dublin Muse were fantastic and didnt end up in a field of mud

Had great food at Juice, loved Blazing salads for take out, Cafe Fresh did good soup. Juice and Blazing Salads were my faves partic Juice - excellent vegan menu/food/service.

Hotel was no good for vegan breakfast but had a fridge in my room and just had cereal/fruit/beans on toast.

Most bars had Becks on tap but eek £5 a pint

Went on the Guiness tour and drank lemonade went to most of the museums too.

Loved the fact every Spar shop had a juice bar in - almost as many juice bars as pubs!!!

Am spent out now

pavotrouge

I found the Spar shops so funny... Spar is one of the cheapest low-budget supermarkets over here!

you went to see Muse? That was my very first incentive to go to Dublin but unfortunately, school started that day...

Yes I booked the Dublin trip around Muse once Id got a ticket, went with lots of forumers off the Muse forum. Fantastic gig with Kasabian supporting. I love Muse just seen them at V festival yesterday too (a mudbath)

Shame you couldnt of gone

I love the fact of a juice bar in every Spar!

Anyone know where to find winter coats in Dublin sans wool?

I'm going to be in Dublin the bank holiday weekend. Any up to date information? I will be going to Cornucopia, are they still good? There was talk of them expanding but has anything happened about that?
    I'll mostly be self-catering (minding my sister's house on the northside) but want to know a couple of good places in the city centre.