Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Ireland

pavotrouge

Default Re: Vegan Republic of Ireland

have you had a look at http://www.happycow.net/europe/ireland/dublin/ ?

I like Govinda's, really good value if you're ok with the religious background.

I looked at happy cow and at http://vegans.frommars.org/ireland/ but the conflicting reviews confuse me - as will any comments here, to be honest! And some of the reviews are pretty old now.

Happy to try Govinda's - but their online menus seem to be a bit paneer heavy!

pavotrouge

they have a daily changing menu, you can just go in and ask for a mixed plate of everything that's vegan that day

*live*&*let*live

Wish I knew this last year was in Dublin to see The Killers and Bloc Party at Marley Park. We made it a week holiday and I struggled. Beautiful place though, hired a car and went off every day.

If you are here on Saturday then head to the Dublin food co-op for some of Natasha`s living food. The chocolate ganache cake thing is sooooo good. She also does raw hummous and other goodies. They have a a small cafe there too so you can buy your goodies and sit with a cuppa to wash it down with. Plenty of veg and other staples on sale there too.

They do have a website http://www.dublinfood.coop/index.html

Cafe bar deli pizza is also somewhere handy to go and they are always good about giving you some other toppings instead of the cheese. They also do salads which you can again ask for without cheese.

The west of Ireland isn't great for visiting vegans although farmers' markets are currently thriving and sometimes good places to pick up vegan items.

The only vegetarian (vegan on request) restaurants in County Clare (Holywell) went, errrmmm, belly-up recently. Meanwell Wholefoods in Ennis and Kilrush and The Grainey in Scariff are highly recommended.

Cork, Galway and Dublin would be the best places to try and I've heard that Kinsale is good. Otherwise, bring your own!

http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/dinner
    http://www.gortnanain.com/vegetarian.html
    http://www.quaycoop.com/menu.html
    http://www.organico.ie/
    http://www.goatless.org/2007/07/07/v...e-thai-cottage
    http://www.circleoflife.ie/food.php
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

More vegan queries re: Dublin. I want to know any good pet shops in central Dublin - preferably not selling animals, or if they do, that they look after their animals well.

I will be staying in my sister's house in Marino while she and her partner are away. Her partner has a cat, Tiggy, who of course I will be looking after and I would like to get her some treats, toys etc. I don't know where they go for her stuff (the supermarket I suppose). I could buy some here but I worry about security (catnip?!). And also I want to see what she has already and what she likes I buy stuff.

Sorry I dont know any pet shops - cant think of any I have seen in town. You can bring things on the plane with you though as long as its not liquid. I have carried all kinds of things back with me as it is cheaper for me to buy it in the UK - nooch, flaxseed and the only thing I have taken away from me was some pate stuff in a tin grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I tried to argue with the security people but they were having none of it. Bloomin` jobsworths at Bristol Airport anyway.

Will keep my eye out though for a pet shop here in town and report back if I see one!

Thanks Jibber - I looked around online and I saw conflicting reports re: pet shops and how they take care of their animals. Hate animals and fish etc being sold in pet shops.

Quote AnneCE View Post
    I'm going to be in Dublin the bank holiday weekend. Any up to date information? I will be going to Cornucopia, are they still good? There was talk of them expanding but has anything happened about that?
    I'll mostly be self-catering (minding my sister's house on the northside) but want to know a couple of good places in the city centre.
    Apologies, I am only getting around to this now, I have been away. Cornucopia has a great vegan salad bar as has blazing salads close by. It hasn't expanded yet but work should start soon. Dublin food co-op is great on saturday. If you are near clontarf there is a supermarket called Nolans that sells a lot of good stuff,also there are plenty of 'Farmers Markets' selling veg and crafts. The one in st annes park is quite nice and you can get veg as well as cooked falafels there. Bring lots of money though cos things are quite expensive. There's a health food shop in Fairview that will have some vegan staples like cheezly should you require that.
    Don't know about petstores, i haven't seen one that doesn't sell animals. The food coop might have some treats...

Hells Pizza
    Just back from this place on Camden St and they do a totally vegan pizza. Its on the menu so you dont have to ask for no cheese! It is totally yummy and the kumara fries are good too. Will totally be going back for more. Good value too.

That's great news. Thanks jibber. I'll bear it in mind for the (very infrequent) Dublin trips.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Just accidentally found this thread and very happy I have. I am visiting Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway in January. New to veganism so finding many things tricky, was actually worrying about what to eat on my trip away. Some good ideas here though, thank you all.

Quote jibber View Post
    Hells Pizza
    Just back from this place on Camden St and they do a totally vegan pizza. Its on the menu so you dont have to ask for no cheese! It is totally yummy and the kumara fries are good too. Will totally be going back for more. Good value too.

I ate there last week and I was pretty disappointed with the vegan pizza to be honest. The base tasted really processed and the refried beans didn't really work as a topping. A pity, cause I was really looking forward to it.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

A major blow for Ennis in County Clare was when the Holywell Italian restaurant closed last year. They actually knew what the word vegan was!

There is another Italian restaurant in Ennis (the long-established Sicilian) whose menu states "all our dishes can be made vegetarian". I might pluck up courage to go and see what they know about veganism. I'll probably end up with spaghetti with olive oil and garlic which can be, when done properly, a wonderful dish.

I wonder how their seafood platter could be "made vegetarian".

Wow, is Ennis that bad for vegan friendly restaurants? I forget how lucky I am in Galway sometimes.

It is. It's a "turkey, bacon and cheese wrap and hold the salad" town; fast food joints abound.

Realistically, there are one or two places that are sympathetic towards vegetarianism; tread with caution!

God, that sounds terrible! I don't think I could handle that, eating out is one of lifes great pleasures for me.

Fortunately, we're not big eaters-out and grow some of our own food. Between us, we can be quite creative with our meals and so are quite happy with home cooking!

Our social pleasure tends to come from music sessions as we both play (me fiddle, she flute) so eating-as-entertainment doesn't occur often.

I know Galway is far better than Ennis food-wise. Maybe when the railway is up-and-running (if ever!) we might meet and you can show me the sights!

If I still live in Galway at that stage! Making the move to the big shmoke (Dublin) in a few months. Sounds to me like you'd love the Crane bar, they have some great sessions in there.

Been there, yes, very good. Ennis (well, Ennis is for 'kids' really!) is well-catered-for in trad music - but it's best in out-of-the-way spots. You could spend your whole life in the county and not visit all the music sessions out in the country. The best are word-of-mouth, impromptu of course.

No chance of vegan food outside of Ennis, though. Where would you recommend for vegan food in Galway, Barry?

I'm going to cheat and paste in something I wrote in another thread:

Well there are two great Indians called Tulsi (I ate there tonight, it was lovely) and Kashmir, both are totally vegan friendly. There's a great pizza place called Milano that has no problem seving cheeseless pizzas that are amazing. Da Tang noodle house has a great veggie section that's almost all vegan - with loads of tofu dishes. La Salsa does faux mexican food and they have vegan burritos and tostados, it's pretty cheap and cheerfull! Ard Bia does some good veggie grub although it's always hard to get a seat. Couch Potato does classic Irish baked spuds with loads of different toppings that can be made vegan, the soup is always vegan as well. The best Chinese is called the Golden Rickshaw, plenty of tofu there as well! Thai Garden does passable enough Thai food although I have to say, one thing Galway doesn't have is a great Thai place..
    I have to say I've rarely had a problem eating out in Galway, although finding a good breakfast place is a bit of a chore. Of all the restaurants I mentioned I'd say Kashmir is the best, it's also the most authentic Indian food I've had in Ireland, well worth a visit if you likes your curry!

Ta for that.

Warning: Hell fry their fries/wedges etc with the chicken!

(Also I have to say I'm not a huge fan of their vegan pizza, although it is nice to have a vegan option on the menu of a pizza place). I find Milano's much better for vegan pizza - yes, you have to ask for it without the cheese, but it's so yummy!

Where else have people found in Dublin that has good vegan options? I no longer live there but I do go back quite frequently, my favourite place to eat is Cornucopia and I also like Juice although it is a bit expensive, and there's a lovely Lebanese on Trinity St. called The Cedar Tree that has some nice vegan options. Also Lisa's Trattoria out in Terenure are great.

Absolutely love The Cedar Tree, really good food. I really like Cornucopia as well, the vegan fry up is great. The Indian buffet in the Epicurian Food Hall is pretty vegan friendly as well, the pilau rice, veg curry, dhal and all the veggie starters are vegan. It's pretty good value as well, €9.50 for all you can eat.

Hi everybody.
    I'm a 18 year old French vegan girl , and I'm gonna go to Cork as an aupair in two or three weeks and.. as you can guess, I'm completely alone (I only know an English vegan from Hull.. so.. that's very far from Cork).
    It would be great to meet other vegans
    Thank you. Don't hesitate to send me a message.

pavotrouge

Cork is full of awesome alternative people... no real vegetarian/vegan places though- are you on Couchsurfing?

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    Cork is full of awesome alternative people... no real vegetarian/vegan places though- are you on Couchsurfing?
    I think you forgot about Cafe Paradiso. It's considered to be the best vegetarian restaurant in the country.

No, I'm not yet. But I'm gonna create an account since I've heard good about this website. Why are you asking me that ?

pavotrouge

there's a Vegetarian and Vegan CS group, as well as the Cork group full of lovely people from around there.

@Barry: I haven't been to Cafe Paradiso yet! How did I miss it? Hrmph, omni girlfriend and all that...

there's a Vegetarian and Vegan CS group, as well as the Cork group full of lovely people from around there.

@Barry: I haven't been to Cafe Paradiso yet! How did I miss it? Hrmph, omni girlfriend and all that...
    I actually haven't been there myself, I'm just going on the rave reviews I've heard. Hopefully we'll both make it there someday!

pavotrouge

had a look at the website and they've been hit hard by the flooding so they were closed for quite some time :/ I hope I can make it up there around Easter.

There's a relatively new Asian restaurant called Miso in Galway, and it does an AMAZING Thai green curry that's fish free, which is very difficult to find in this part of the world. Well worth a look if anyone's ever in Galway

pavotrouge

... sounds great, might pop in for the Easter weekend trip I have been offered a free car ride through parts of Ireland I haven't been to yet (west and north western coastal parts).

I'm going to Dublin soon for a few days with my boyfriend (who is trying to be veggie) and my mum (omni), and I'm vegan. What a great mix lol.

Can anyone recommend places to eat out in Dublin?

Most of the places already mentioned in this thread are still going and they're all worth a shout. Cornucopia is fantastic in my opinion, perfect for a nice lunch. In the epicurian food hall there's a super cheap indian buffet and all the veggie food there is vegan. Govinda's is ok, it's cheap and you get loads of food. Dublin is dead easy to be vegan in to be honest, most restaurants, in my experience, should be able to sort you out. Oh yeah, Milano's is great for pizza. Have fun!

Thank you! I'm going to make a list to take with me so we can find places. Luckily my mum is super easy when it comes to food and more than happy to eat vegetarian or vegan.

Talking Re: Vegan Republic of Ireland

If anyone's interested in information about being a vegan in Ireland I blog about it here at http://veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

Barry

The Limerick/Ennis/Galway train is now up and running, so we're going to hop on it tomorrow, Easter Saturday. We'll check out what happens when we mention the word 'vegan' (in whatever restaurant we go in, not on the train!).

Excellent! My personal favourite restaurant at the moment is Da Tang Noodle House. Try the pan fried noodles with tofu and greens if you go there.

Thanks Barry. Where is it? I'll have to see what 'herself' fancies!

Personally I like the sound of La Salsa.

La Salsa is pretty good, it is fairly cheap and cheerful and although they have a vegan burrito (and can veganise pretty much any menu item) you have to stress the vegan part strongly, Fiona got a big mouthfull of cheese last time we were there! The chips are excellent as well. Da Tang is on Middle Street (I think!), it runs parallel to Shop St. and is across the road from Charlie Byrnes bookshop and Milano, if you don't know either of them anyone in Galway will be able to direct you to them. This train service is looking pretty useful isn't it...

The best place I went to was Chameleon in Temple Bar, Dublin. They're Indonesian and do it like tapas with lots of little bowls. They are popular though so you might need to make a reservation. We went in at 6pm though on Thursday and got a table for 3 no problem. Anyway, they have a vegetarian menu of 8 dishes, but I explained that I'm vegan and they changed everything to vegan for me! It was the best meal I've ever eaten out. Seriously. Bit pricey, but worth it.

That sounds really good Mollfie, I'm going to check it out next week. I'm pretty sure that I know the restaurant you're talking about. Was it very pricey? That's the problem with Temple Bar, they charge extortionate prices for what is, very often, extremely average food.

They do set menus which each have their own price, the vegetarian menu was about 27.50 I think? Not including drinks etc.

The train service is brilliant, Barry.

We ended up snacking at Food for Thought, which was really nice food (vegan shepherd's pie - I wonder who the shepherd was?) but the radio! Some sport commentary blasting away. It was quieter outside in the street!

Still, lovely day out in Galway, which is a beautiful city and has a truly excellent open air market and plenty of pedestrianised areas - though never enough for me: boot all traffic out of towns and cities and only allow small electric delivery vans and disableds' traffic.

Hello, am flying to Shannon and staying in Doolin next weekend and would like some help in terms of where supermarkets are in relation to Doolin and where to eat that's vegan friendly. DavidT I've emailed you, hope you received it. But any other help from others would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Barry, have taken list of your recommended restaurants and health food shoppie in Galway thanks.

Mousee!!

natural food bakery in Cork City is good.
    quay co op is ok.
    cafe paradiso is dairy heavy however.

Quote bellybuddha View Post
    Barry, have taken list of your recommended restaurants and health food shoppie in Galway thanks.
    I was in Evergreen Wholefoods in Mainguard Street, Galway and, to be honest, thought I was in a chemist's. The Saturday open market had much more in the way of 'health' foods.

For wholefood shops in this area, you can't beat Meanwell Wholefoods in Ennis and Kilrush and The Grainey in Scariff. There's another one near Meanwell in Ennis called Open Sesame which is a tad expensive.

davidt and barry, thanks for all your help and tips and places to go in Ireland. We had a great time there and especially the wonderful weather.
    We found lots of health food shops dotted about the place and there's a fantastic health food shop in Kinvara and another in Killkoe as well that also does brilliant wooden toys. Although at the time we went they were closed until 2pm. Probably lunch hour. But we also stumbled across a lovely bakery and cafe in Killkoe where they do really yummy houmous. Unfortunetly that's really all I could eat from there. We also spent a day in Galway. Air bard was closed on the day we went though so couldn't try anything there. But we did find food for thought though and kind of wished we waited until we got to the quay. The food wasn't that great and the in laws ordered baked potato which was tiny with even tinier amount of filling. Whilst I had the vegan shepards pie. I quite enjoyed it but it wasn't heated up enough and quite a tiny portion for the price. other than that we just made packed lunches everywhere we went. We almost went to these lovely homely stonecutters family restaurants that are dotted around county Clare as they do veggie meals as well and they were very open to dietary requirements. I was soooo looking forward to their beanburger but unfortunetly my hubby didn't feel so well that evening and so ended up cancelling. But we did stop by for afternoon tea and I had their gorgeous blood orange sorbet yum!
    So again thanks barry and DavidT for your help. We really enjoyed Ireland and no doubt we will be back.