Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Ireland

Default Re: Vegan Ireland

http://www.chameleonrestaurant.com/

It's in Temple Bar, and rijst-tafel is loads of small dishes, kinda like a tasting menu. Chameleon is expensive but meant to be deadly Blueberries, I'll report back on Monday morning!

Right, this is rijst-tafal Blueberries. One of the best meals I've had in ages. There's another row of dishes hidden behind what's there. I'm stuffed!

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I should say as well how accommodating Chameleon were, they replaced the non-vegan dishes in the rijst-tafel with special ones they made just for us, like beer-battered asparagus - delicious!

Wow Barry, that looks delish! Next time I'm looking for somewhere to eat I'm defo going there! Are the vegan options listed on the menu or did you have to ask for them?

There's a vegetarian rijst-tafel menu, and with a couple of exceptions it's mostly vegan. I emailed them before we went and told them we were vegan. They replaced the non-vegan dishes with special vegan ones just for us! They were really cool about it, can't recommend them enough.

So Dublin VFers, a new veggie place has opened up in the Epicurian Food Hall. Anyone been yet? I might try it tomorrow...

Quote Barry View Post
    So Dublin VFers, a new veggie place has opened up in the Epicurian Food Hall. Anyone been yet? I might try it tomorrow...
    Hadn't heard about that! What's it called? Let us know how you get on

So, went there for lunch today and it was pretty disappointing. There's a hot counter with 5-6 dishes, which were all vegan today (not sure if that's always the case, forgot to ask), and they do falafels and stuff too. I had a plate with a little of each dish, which cost €7, and this is what I got:

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

To begin with, the food simply wasn't warm enough, it was borderline cold. Also, all the dishes were fairly blandly spiced, there was no kick to any of them. It wasn't terrible or anything, I'll give it a go again in a few weeks to see if its improved. It's still nice to have another totally veggie option in town after Juice and Fresh folded recently.

hey, i dont think anyone is near killarney, but in case anyone is passing through and looking for vegan grub, we had our first Kerry Vegans meetup at Stonechat the other night. There are a few options on the menu that appear to be vegan in the vegetarian section, but if you tell the waitress, she will tell the chef, and he will make sure yours is vegan. We didnt actually end up asking about these, because when we called ahead, we asked if they had any tofu dishes, since there was one listed on the online menupages menu, and they said no, but they can make other dishes vegan. I guess it must have been last years menu and theyve discontinued the dish. it was something like pan fried tofu in a coconut curry sauce with veg or something on the online menu, dont remember exactly. Anyway, we booked ahead (there were only 4 of us but hey, you gotta start somewhere, i agree with david that there are alot of veggies in hiding (i hope , we just have to encourage them out of hiding lol), and when we arrived the waitress told us that they also had tofu, that we could have with veg or rice, or whatever. She couldnt really tell us what the dish would be because she said it wasnt on the menu and that the chef would make it special. We risked it, lol. Also requested no soy sauce as one of our group members said she used to work at hotels and they would often use fish sauce instead of soy sauce or something, something i wasnt aware of.

Anyway, we got this lovely dish, that i think was probably similar to what had previously been on the menu. the tofu was sauteed or something in chunks, then mixed with veg with some kind of a creamy (coconut milk i think) mild curry. with rice on the side. it was about 13 euro. i never go out cos im broke, but i felt like i got a good meal for the 13 euro. 3 of us got this dish, and someone got just a hummus starter/salad plate, which turned out to be suitable for a light meal. it was hummus, pita, some greens, and i think sundried tomatoes

the waitress told us that if we ever want to come again, just call ahead and they will get tofu in or whatever. she also told us it was a new chef, and it was the opening day of the year, so we were pretty impressed that he threw together something tasty for us

it doesnt look like theres any vegans in kerry on here, but if there are, join our group, kerry vegans, at meetup.com!

Also, if anyone is passing through Dingle or Castlegregory in the summers, I run a vegan market stall at those markets in the summers. Starting up in april, but not sure how extensive an offering ill do until it really picks up in may or june. i do mostly baked goods but also some salads, some raw foods like flax crackers on occasion, fruit parfaits, a lovely chocolate avo pie, and im going to start doing tofu this year too and see how that goes, and maybe some kind of vegan pates like walnut-mushroom. the meat pate guy seems to do well so...

Cool Re: Vegan Ireland

Thanks for the info., kaybee. Even though we're next door (Clare) it's rare we get to Kerry. The last time was 2005!

On our farmers' market, there is a guy selling dead animal paté and he's been around for a long time. I wonder, I might suggest the idea of vegan paté to one of the bakers who turns up there, who's pretty open to new money-making ides. Now that might stir things up a bit...

Anyway, just to remind any local veg*ns, the county Clare group is meeting this Thursday 1st March 2011 in the Dining Room, Ennis at 7 for 7:30. They have prepared a vegan menu for us:

Starters
    Homemade Vegan Soup of the Day
    Tempura Vegetables with a Sweet Chilli dipping Sauce
    Warm Spinach Salad with Pinenuts & Port Marinated Figs
    Main Courses
    Aubergine Cannelloni with Ratatouie & Cous Cous
    Roasted Butternut Squash with Pilau Rice
    Tofu, Cashew nuts & Broccolli Stir-fry
    Desserts
    To Be decided
    Sounds good - especially if their cooking is better than their spelling!

DAVIIIIDDD--

i know. he is at our market too. im sure its the same guy. it breaks my heart that he makes a living off of this stuff, and that people buy it and love it I've actually been thinking about doing vegan pates this year at my market stall...maybe a lentil walnut and a mushroom walnut or something. great minds think alike ;p

on a different note, is anyone interested in joining an ireland vegan outreach group? you can contact bronwyn at cork vegans; you can find her on facebook at cork vegans or at meetup.com at cork vegans. We are just trying to connect people who are interested in doing vegan outreach, who might be interested in planning a vegan festival eventually, etc. We are going to try to meet up very soon, so contact her if you are interested in the first meeting, which will be in dublin.

kaybee

Is he a big fella? I mean big! If so, it's the same one.

Most of the vegan patés I've tried have been excellent - why would anyone would need any others I don't know.

As for vegan outreach, what do you think it might involve, apart from the vegan festival idea? I'm not sure I 'get' it!

David

he is french and has a french last name that has slipped my mind at the moment. i know he sells at limerick so if thats the market you are talking about then its defo the same guy. its called wild something. on the wild side. ya. that.

I dont get the attraction of eating (and enjoying) pureed animal innards. I dont get why it is considered sophisticated food. yuck

Im not sure we know exactly. I think we are just trying to network and connect vegans at this point because there arent a whole lot of us in ireland (YET ). totally contact bronwyn through FB (or send me a PM and i can send you her email); she can kind of give you more details.

There are a good few groups round the country at the moment but I'm reasonably sure (although not 100%) that there isn't an 'umbrella group' reaching out to them, which I think is the right way round to do it. Is anyone willing to spend time creating and managing an umbrella group? I can't, I've taken too much on recently within an anti-fracking campaign. What do you think?

Maybe http://veganireland.vegaplanet.org/index.html could be an umbrella group. Does anyone know the people behind it? It's a good website (although I was a bit disappointed to not get our Clare gathering listed. I understand I can't expect people to do something for nothing but still...) They have a pretty cool video on there. Have you seen it? There's an image of the cliffs of Moher shown to represent Connaught (they're in Munster) but apart from that, it's rather good and well put together.

hey--yeah, it IS closely connected with vegan ireland. not sure of the exact relationship, but some of those people are people interested in doing this connecting/gathering soon. Bronwyn of cork vegans knows the vegan ireland peeps.

I think thats what we are kind of trying to do, connect people on a more national level/connect people and groups around the country. I think some of this will get discussed at the upcoming gathering. If youre interested in coming, (or anyone else is) get in touch with bronwyn. Totally understand personal time constraints though so no worries. and/or if anyone has ideas they want brought up to a larger group, in terms of what ireland needs, etc., iim happy to try to bring those to attention too.

hmm. not sure whats up with your clare gathering not getting listed. do they have a listing of county groups on their website? i didnt see one. i think its worth us suggesting that vegan irelands website starts to list the different county groups, now we have a kerry one, there is a cork one, you have the clare one, there is a galway one, a dublin one, and perhaps a few others. that might be a good suggestion for them to have on their site. really important really. i didnt see any listings on there like that. sure i think it shoudl be done for nothing, if we are all about the same cause here, trying to spread veganism and connect vegans. maybe they will be interested in adding a listing of the county groups to their site.

we did our first leafletting/tabling in tralee today. gave out about a hundred leaflets that we had made up about "cruelty free in kerry"; short points about veganism, the ethics, a vegan diet, all the substitutes available, then a listing of restaurants in kerry with vegan options, health food shops, and web links for kerry vegans, vegan society, and other ireland vegan info. we got about 4 people who were super interested. going to tralee IT tomorrow to hand out another hundred. at this point, not thinking that we will actually convert anyone, but just trying to get the message out there to people who are already vegan who might want to join our kerry vegan group, and to vegan-curious vegetarians or ex-vegetarians, etc. The general public, I think its rare for them to be that affected by a single leaflet, but I was once told that people have to hear a message 15 times or 40 times or something (some magic number, i forget lol) before it sinks in, and that each one of those times is important., so, we're trying

Hey kaybee, you're doing great work! Well done.

I too would like to see a groups listing, if veganireland are up for that sort of thing. It's up to them but I'll suggest it.

Our gathering last night in the Dining Room in Ennis was small (5!) but hugely enjoyable. The food was marvellous and looked amazing, people got their cameras out as it was so beautifully presented, really impressive. There could be a few photos go up on http://clareveggroup.blogspot.com/ when Julie gets around to it, it takes a while I know.

The aim of our in Clare may be the right one or the wrong, I don't know, but it's what the current participants want: not to convert people directly (though it would be great if people converted themselves) but more to facilitate vegans in restaurants and to help current vegans expand and improve their diet and knowledge.

In other words, as a group we're primarily interested in enjoying good food, leaving it to individuals how far they go with the 'lifestyle vegan' choices. No judgements, just good food. And it works - we have really lively and enjoyable gatherings, particularly when we're served such amazing food as last night. And the good thing is, one of the (vegan) starters was listed on the main board as the special for everyone, a butternut squash and coconut milk soup.

We've also heard that one restaurant we 'converted' (!) wants us to come to a tasting night when the chef experiments with his new menu - for free, I think!

Totally off topic but help out, guys - sign the petition here: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...cking_Ireland/

There are thousands against the idea of fracking, let alone the issuing of licences. Where are they all?

I know it may be a bit of a long shot but has anyone eaten veganly in Bon Ga Korean restaurant on Capel st in Dublin? A friend's having his birthday there over the weekend (giving me quite short notice) and I haven't been able to find anything online about its menu or even a website for it. I know I could ring them but I only want to do that as a last resort if possible. Thanks
    Houmous atá ann!

It's awful Blueberries! I went there one day when I was in a bit of a rush and needed a quick lunch cause it does a buffet. There was 2-3 vegan friendly veg dishes, along with rice and chips. It was really not good. Maybe the a la carte will better though, and I don't think there'll be a problem in terms of accommodating you. Try and get friend to change their mind - there are loads of good Koreans in that area like Hilan.

Quote Barry View Post
    It's awful Blueberries! I went there one day when I was in a bit of a rush and needed a quick lunch cause it does a buffet. There was 2-3 vegan friendly veg dishes, along with rice and chips. It was really not good. Maybe the a la carte will better though, and I don't think there'll be a problem in terms of accommodating you. Try and get friend to change their mind - there are loads of good Koreans in that area like Hilan.
    Thanks for getting back to me so quick Baz . Are the vegan-friendly dishes labelled or did you ask about them? I might say it to him but I think he has already booked it :/

Hi all

Clare Veg Group are having their usual "first-Thursday-in-the-month" gathering on 5th April 2012 at Primavera, High Street, Ennis, County Clare, 7:00pm. We have been invited to sample some of the chef's creations - vegetarian and vegan - which they (and we) are hoping will end up as part of their regular menu. So come along and enjoy being a guinea pig! Everyone, any age, any diet, is welcome and we would love to see you.

Clare Veg Group
    www.clareveggroup.blogspot.com
    clareveggroup@gmail.com

irish friends, I have got a bolk order of vegan bars from gomaxgofoods. Jokerz, Buccaneers, Twilight and Mahalos are now available in ireland for the first time. If anyone is interested in getting some message me here or mail niall@thumped.com
    thanks

hedgehoglovely

Hiya, just going to put this out there: any vegans here living in Dublin fancy meeting up sometime? x

Quote hedgehoglovely
    Hiya, just going to put this out there: any vegans here living in Dublin fancy meeting up sometime? x
    Yeah we defo should!

Edit: there's a Vegan Ireland Dublin meet-up on the 15th of May (its on their Facebook page), anyone who's around should go
    Last edited by Blueberries; May 2nd, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Houmous atá ann!

hedgehoglovely

Great So Blueberries, any ideas?

Unfortunately I'm working in the UN archives in New York then - bugger!

Hopefully the next time...
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

hedgehoglovely

Where is the meet-up Blueberries? I can't seem to find it

@hedgehog Its on the 'Vegan Ireland' facebook page, the venue hasn't been decided yet, they just say Dublin.

@Barry, that's well cool! NY must be full of great vegan stuff!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    @hedgehog Its on the 'Vegan Ireland' facebook page, the venue hasn't been decided yet, they just say Dublin.

@Barry, that's well cool! NY must be full of great vegan stuff!
    Yeah, hopefully! It's my first time there, I really need to check out the America forum here and get some recommendations. I'm very much looking forward to it though.

So it appears that Vegetopia in the Epicurean Food Hall had closed down. It's certainly a pity to see another veggie place go down (particularly as quickly as vegetopia did), but it's absolutely no surprise. The food was just not good. This is such a big problem with veggie places in Dublin - their food is simply not good enough. Juice, Fresh* and now Vegetopia have no-one to blame but themselves.

Why would I go to any of the aforementioned when I could go to any number of Dublin's fine Indian restaurants, or The Cedar Tree, or the Chinese places on Parnell street, and get better vegetarian food there? There's a reason why Cornucopia is the only one still standing - its food is actually nice!

It sucks that pure veggie dining options have been reduced by 75% in the past year, but there's a valuable lesson to be learned for anyone considering starting a new veggie restaurant - focus on the food!

*In fairness to Fresh, they had started to improve quite a bit in their last six months of business, but it was too little too late.

Quote Barry
    So it appears that Vegetopia in the Epicurean Food Hall had closed down.
    Wow that was quick!

Quote Barry
    Why would I go to any of the aforementioned when I could go to any number of Dublin's fine Indian restaurants, or The Cedar Tree, or the Chinese places on Parnell street, and get better vegetarian food there?
    I like the Cedar Tree . Can you recommend any specific Indian & Chinese places?
    Houmous atá ann!

Wow that was quick!

I like the Cedar Tree . Can you recommend any specific Indian & Chinese places?
    Jaipur (Indian) has a pretty limited veggie section and is very expensive, but serves terrific food. Madina is lovely for Dosas and Uttapams and the like. I actually don't remember the name of the two Chinese/Asian places I really like on Parnell street! One of them has a very extensive tofu section though, and they can make a huge portion of the menu veggie/vegan on request. I'll get back to you with that name, it's really bugging me now that I can't remember it.

Edit: It's not a restaurant, but if you're near the D7 area, Namaste is a terrific Indian takeaway.

hedgehoglovely

Blueberries I got your email and I sent you an email back. Just thought I'd let you know in case you don't check your email

Quote hedgehoglovely
    Blueberries I got your email and I sent you an email back. Just thought I'd let you know in case you don't check your email
    Replied
    Houmous atá ann!

For any Dublin based vegans, I noticed today that the Asia Market on Drury St in the city centre has a new range of soya based vegetarian meats from Malaysia that appear to be vegan. They have chicken, cod, ribs, satay and mutton. I bought some of the mutton as it is 60% mushroom which sounds nice. It was only €2.95 which isn't bad, I'll report back about whether is was nice or not once I've tried it. They have tofu, mock duck, this new range, even natto but I still haven't found tempeh! I know I can get it in health food shops but its expensive.
    Houmous atá ann!

For any Dublin based vegans, I noticed today that the Asia Market on Drury St in the city centre has a new range of soya based vegetarian meats from Malaysia that appear to be vegan. They have chicken, cod, ribs, satay and mutton. I bought some of the mutton as it is 60% mushroom which sounds nice. It was only €2.95 which isn't bad, I'll report back about whether is was nice or not once I've tried it. They have tofu, mock duck, this new range, even natto but I still haven't found tempeh! I know I can get it in health food shops but its expensive.
    Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I'll check this out tomorrow. The Asian Market is my favourite shop in Dublin but the tempeh availability there is completely random. They didn't have any for months last year, but every time I've been there recently it's been overflowing from the shelves.

Quote Barry

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I'll check this out tomorrow. The Asian Market is my favourite shop in Dublin but the tempeh availability there is completely random. They didn't have any for months last year, but every time I've been there recently it's been overflowing from the shelves.
    I've never seen it there, which shelf should I look at in case of sudden overflow?
    Houmous atá ann!

I've never seen it there, which shelf should I look at in case of sudden overflow?
    You know where the fresh tofu is? It's really close to that. To be honest, if it's there you'll see it!

Quote Barry
    You know where the fresh tofu is? It's really close to that. To be honest, if it's there you'll see it!
    I guess they don't have it in then . On another note I tried the 'mutton' pieces, they were nice, savoury, mushroomy and not to chewy. I'll have to try some of the other ones.
    Houmous atá ann!

Finally found tempeh in the Asian market on Drury street (it only took me 4 years! :P ). There were only a few left so I think you must have gotten in before me, Barry! :P
    Houmous atá ann!

Hooray!

It's such good value there - you really get a lot of tempeh for your money.

Quote Barry
    Hooray!

It's such good value there - you really get a lot of tempeh for your money.
    You do! I got 2 400g bars of tempeh for about the price of 1 thing of frozen health-food shop tempeh, I was well pleased with myself
    Houmous atá ann!

Stumbled across a restaurant today that should be of interest to any vegans in Galway - The Quay Street Kitchen http://www.facebook.com/TheQuayStreetKitchen

Almost half the menu is vegan, and is clearly marked as such. It's a lovely little place with a great atmosphere and attentive friendly staff. I had tofu 'fish' and chips and my my other half had the vegan breakfast. My tofu 'fish' was quite nice - tofu wrapped in nori and beer battered, it was served with vegan tartar sauce, which was a nice touch. The chips were fairly meh though, they were clearly frozen and not homemade. The vegan breakfast was ok, they used redwoods 'bacon', and there was falafel, beans, mushrooms and spinach. My OH thought it was a bit dry. The food wasn't amazing or anything, and there's definitely room for improvement, but still, it's good that there's a place in Galway that specifically caters to vegans now, and as I said, it really is a nice place with a very friendly, relaxed atmosphere. I'd be interested in going back to try the dinner menu.

The satay skewers are yumarama! The `chicken` bits are ok to chuck in a stir fry. Will deffo be going back for more skewers!

A new vegan cafe has opened up in Dublin, here's the facebook link http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lurve-...ref=ts&fref=ts

I might try it this evening, so I'll report back.

Went to the new cafe last night. It was ok. I had a spinach cutlet with rice, carrot, coleslaw and garlic sauce. My OH had potato pancakes with the same salads. The food was fairly tasty, particularly the pancake, but it was padestrian enough stuff. The cafe itself is extremely cramped and is a bit uncomfortable beause of it. It was pretty busy, which was nice to see.

Might wait a few weeks to go back cause they're only in their first week and they're obviously having some teething problems (e.g they didn't have a cash register!). I'm sure it'll improve as time goes on.

Quote Barry View Post
    Stumbled across a restaurant today that should be of interest to any vegans in Galway - The Quay Street Kitchen http://www.facebook.com/TheQuayStreetKitchen

Almost half the menu is vegan, and is clearly marked as such. It's a lovely little place with a great atmosphere and attentive friendly staff. I had tofu 'fish' and chips and my my other half had the vegan breakfast. My tofu 'fish' was quite nice - tofu wrapped in nori and beer battered, it was served with vegan tartar sauce, which was a nice touch. The chips were fairly meh though, they were clearly frozen and not homemade. The vegan breakfast was ok, they used redwoods 'bacon', and there was falafel, beans, mushrooms and spinach. My OH thought it was a bit dry. The food wasn't amazing or anything, and there's definitely room for improvement, but still, it's good that there's a place in Galway that specifically caters to vegans now, and as I said, it really is a nice place with a very friendly, relaxed atmosphere. I'd be interested in going back to try the dinner menu.
    Wish I had known about that place when I was there last year, the week before the races. Thanks for the info.
    unexpected item in bagging area..

Quote Barry View Post
    Went to the new cafe last night. It was ok. I had a spinach cutlet with rice, carrot, coleslaw and garlic sauce. My OH had potato pancakes with the same salads. The food was fairly tasty, particularly the pancake, but it was padestrian enough stuff. The cafe itself is extremely cramped and is a bit uncomfortable beause of it. It was pretty busy, which was nice to see.

Might wait a few weeks to go back cause they're only in their first week and they're obviously having some teething problems (e.g they didn't have a cash register!). I'm sure it'll improve as time goes on.
    I heard about the café through the internet vegan grapevine, it's nice to know that there are new options popping up in Dublin, will have to try it the next time I'm home! It got a good review here :http://vegiandvegandublin.tumblr.com...rvevegandublin

Hi,
    Not sure where to post this exactly but does anyone know of a room to rent or artist studio in Ireland for the next 3 months or so? Vegan preferably but will do vegetarian houseshare as well. Budget is €200 -€300 a month. Nothing coming up on sites etc. Thanks a mil : )

What part of Ireland Turtle? You'll have to be a bit more specific!

Have you checked Daft.ie yet? If not, it's the best resource for finding a place in Ireland. You should also check out the veggie and vegan section on Boards.ie.

Being perfectly honest however, I don't think that your chances of finding such a place are great. I don't know of any fully vegetarian houseshares in Galway (where I'm from) or Dublin (where I live). Best of luck though, and let me know if it works out!