Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Animal products and diabetes

Default Re: Vegan Diet reverses Diebetes Type 2, improves Kidney Function

Quote vegandrummersam
    My mum's finally starting to listen to me now that she's been diagnosed with diabetes. She hates being a 'pill junky' as she puts it.
    My mother's had type-2 diabetes for years now (due to being overweight) - I wish she would listen to someone (anyone!) about her diet/lifestyle. She is also a 'pill junky'

Diana
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

Wink diabetes

Couldn't find anything using the search, but was sure it has been mentioned.

Anyhow, in today's Weekend Australian newspaper, there is a small article in a health area that headlines "Low-fat vegan diet the best for diabetics", and there is a paragraph relating to research in the latest issue of "Diabetes Care". It was a small research that involved 99 people with type 2 diabetes. Over 22 weeks it turns out that those following the vegan diet of fruit, veges, grains, and legumes, showed a dramatic improvement in blood glucose level, weight, and kidney function. This group also lost an average of 6.5 kg weight. Good to read in a national newspaper.
    Eve

Geoff

Default Re: diabetes

From The Daily Telegraph:

Vegans avoid diabetes
    By Maggie Fox

July 29, 2006 12:00

PEOPLE who eat a low-fat vegan diet, cut out all meat and dairy, lower their blood sugar lost more weight than people on a standard diabetic diet.

They lowered their cholesterol more and ended up with better kidney function, according to the report published in Diabetes Care, a journal published by the American Diabetes Association.

Participants said the vegan diet was easier to follow than most because they did not measure portions or count calories. Three of the vegan dieters dropped out of the study, compared to eight on the standard diet.

"I hope this study will rekindle interest in using diet changes first, rather than prescription drugs," Dr. Neal Barnard, president of the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, which helped conduct the study, told Reuters.

An estimated 18 million Americans have type-2 diabetes, which results from a combination of genetics and poor eating and exercise habits. They run a high risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, blindness and limb loss.

Barnard's team and colleagues at George Washington University, the University of Toronto and the University of North Carolina tested 99 people with type-2 diabetes, assigning them randomly to either a low-fat, low-sugar vegan diet or the standard American Diabetes Association diet.

After 22 weeks on the diet, 43 percent of those on the vegan diet and 26 percent of those on the standard diet were either able to stop taking some of their drugs such as insulin or glucose-control medications, or lowered the doses.

The vegan dieters lost 6.5 kg on average while the diabetes association dieters lost 3.1 kg

Default Re: diabetes

Thanks Geoff.

Default Re: Diabetes and veganism

Hello. Great article. My auntie, two uncles and grandma all have diabetes. My auntie started to follow a vegan diet a year or two ago, but is now on a high protein ( read "high meat") diet because she says that following a vegan diet meant eating too many carbohydrates. My Uncle is slightly neurotic about carbohydrates and won't eat oranges, bananas, peas, carrots ... (although I've seen him with a bar of cadbury's fudge!!!!!!!!)

If you follow a vegan diet can you eat more carbohydrate than you would have been able to if you'd eaten meat/dairy? I don't really know what I can say to my Auntie to convince her to eat less meat. I'm not sure if it's just an excuse or if she was eating the wrong vegan foods. Any advice?

Hi Cherry,
    one of the problem with diabetes is when you follow a high-fat diet; fats push up blood sugar levels and keep them high. On the diet I follow as a vegan I eat relatively few starches like bread, pasta and grains -these are not very nutrient dense and I feel more energetic and less bloated when I concentrate more on veggies, fruit and legumes. So no need to consume lots of "traditional" carbs on a vegan diet, although of course everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for someone else. A friend who is diabetic has recently cut out meat (not so much for his diabetes but because he's trying to lose weight and also because they have been linked with causing cancer) and his diabetes is very stable. So I'd tell your auntie that fatty meats are a big no-no, and about the cancer link. What I'm trying to say really is that meat consumption in itself has no real negative effect on blood sugar, unless the meat in question is high in fat. I don't know what kind of meat she eats, but getting her to avoid the fatty ones would at least be a start. Good luck!

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Update:
    My mom is going to make me an appointment with my doctor for a diabetes test. Hopefully he'll take me seriously! My paternal grandmother had diabetes, my paternal grandfather has diabetes. My mom's grandmother DIED from diabetes and she has an uncle with really bad diabetes too. It runs in family's right?
    I think it is Type 1 diabetes which runs in families. Was it Type 1 diabetes you were concerned about?
    What happened about your test?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I do not have diabetes and my blood sugar levels are normal. The fact that I pee 4576543567 times a day is due to something else, most likely a small bladder, the doctor thinks.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    I think it is Type 1 diabetes which runs in families. Was it Type 1 diabetes you were concerned about?
    What happened about your test?
    Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease, and autoimmune diseases do run in families. My 71/2 year old daughter is diabetic. My husband has Lupus. All the children I know who have Type 1 diabetes have a parent or other close relative who suffers from an autoimmune disease.
    Type 2 diabetes also runs in families. They are actually very different diseases. Type 2 has more to do with absorption of insulin rather than production (as in Type 1). That's why some people with Type 2 can control it with diet and exercise, or medication if necessary. It is not always necessary for a person with Type 2 diabetes to take insulin, while a person who has Type 1 has to go on insulin at the onset of the disease or she/he will die.

I guess I was just REALLY unlucky to be the first in my family to get diabetes melitus (type1)

xx

Coming in a little late here, but thought I would share some thoughts anyway.

The most recent scientific thinking is that Type II diabetes has a strong genetic component, whereas type I diabetes has a much weaker genetic component.

According to the human genome project:

Studies have shown that concordance in twins for Type I is minimal, therefore the inheritance factor of Type I is small. Researchers believe that a combination of environmental factors and, probably, viral antigens are responsible for Type I diabetes.

Type II diabetes is associated with obesity and with aging. It is a lifestyle-dependent disease, and has a strong genetic component (concordance in twins is 80-90%).
    Many studies point to the fact that type 1 diabetes is caused by a couple of factors that must occur at the same time -- namely early introduction of cow's milk and a concurrent virus.

Another thing to keep in mind for type II diabetes is that exercise and proper diet are both essential. You should be walking 45 minutes, preferably on an incline a day, in addition to eating an optimal diet.

Here are some studies worth looking at:
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/87/7/3192

Muntoni S, Cocco P, Aru G, Cucca F. Nutritional factors and worldwide incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:1525–9.

Dahl-Jorgensen K, Joner G, Hanssen KF. Relationship between cows’ milk consumption and incidence of IDDM in childhood. Diabetes Care 1991;14:1081–3.

Coleman DL, Kuzava JE, Leiter EH. Effect of diet on incidence of diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice. Diabetes 1990;39:432–6.

Gerstein H. Cow’s milk exposure and type I diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 1994;17:13–9.

Virtanen SM, Laara E, Hypponen E, et al. Cow’s milk consumption, HLA–DQB1 genotype, and type I diabetes. Diabetes 2000;49:912–7.

Hypponen E, Kenward MG, Virtanen SM, et al. Infant feeding, early weight gain, and risk of type I diabetes. Diabetes Care 1999;22:1961–5.

Verge CF, Howard NJ, Irwig L, et al. Environmental factors in childhood IDDM. A population-based, case-control study. Diabetes Care 1994;17:1381–9.

Karajalainen J, Martin JM, Knip M, et al. A bovine albumin peptide as a possible trigger of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 1992;327:302–7.

Best,
    Josh

Quote fiamma View Post
    one of the problem with diabetes is when you follow a high-fat diet; fats push up blood sugar levels and keep them high.
    Hi fiamma, that may be true, but you don't know how irritating it is for me, a vegan, to hear doctors and others, including vegans, say that obesity leads to diabetes type 2, as well as too much fat etc. Well my diabetes #2 is inherited and I am not obese, neither do I eat fats - the only fat I consume is a dessertspoonful of flaxseed oil, and the occasional avocado.

You are right that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another. But I will say that my diabetes is completely under control, though I do watch my fruit intake and avoid, eg, too much watermelon and instead eat rockmelon which has a lower GI. I know quite a few people with diabetes #2 (doesn't EVERYONE have it now?) and they are all meat eaters. I don't know of any vegans around here where I live, though one good guy I met in Brisbane was a vegan and he was diagnosed with diabetes too, and he was not obese either.
    Eve

Hi eve,
    I hope you didn't misunderstand the point I was trying to make; I wasn't intending any link between type 2 dibetes and obesity, in fact I know someone who suffers from Type 2, they eat meat and dairy but are not obese. I was merely talking from the experience of my friend, who has problems with his bloodsugar level when he eats food which are high in fat. A pizza with cheese, for example, causes problems whereas one with just tomatoes and vegetables does not. If he's in hypoglycaemia, he'll drink juice (low fat) rather than chocolate, which will make his blood sugar rise just the same, but it stays high and subsequently causes problems. Hope that clarifies things.
    All the best, Fiamma

hope your friend makes good progress, fiamma, (not surprised that the cheesy pizza causes problems)
    Eve

Thanks eve, he's got one of those infusion pumps now, which has improved his life immeasurably. All the best to you too.

Quote j&k View Post
    Coming in a little late here, but thought I would share some thoughts anyway.

The most recent scientific thinking is that Type II diabetes has a strong genetic component, whereas type I diabetes has a much weaker genetic component.

According to the human genome project: Studies have shown that concordance in twins for Type I is minimal, therefore the inheritance factor of Type I is small. Researchers believe that a combination of environmental factors and, probably, viral antigens are responsible for Type I diabetes.

Type II diabetes is associated with obesity and with aging. It is a lifestyle-dependent disease, and has a strong genetic component (concordance in twins is 80-90%).

Lifestyle dependent factors are learned from family members and it is difficult for researchers to distinguish learned lifestyle (eating, drinking and exercise habits) from genetic factors.

Quote Fiamma
    Hi Cherry,
    one of the problem with diabetes is when you follow a high-fat diet; fats push up blood sugar levels and keep them high.
    Thanks Fiamma. Apologies for being a couple of months late with a reply (Tiscali ). I didn't know that about fats. Thanks. I had a discussion recently with my Auntie. It didn't go brilliantly - she is crazy about Dr Bernstein and his diet, and said that "saturated fat is not bad for you". Hhhmmm. I'll make sure my Nanna knows to avoid fat though. (She's 87 today incidentally )

Quote Melanie View Post
    It CAN run in families, I was the first in my family
    Unlike type 2, type 1 has recessive genes so it can still 'run in your family' without anyone in living memory having diabetes. Like ginger hair

Quote Cherry View Post
    )

Unlike type 2, type 1 has recessive genes so it can still 'run in your family' without anyone in living memory having diabetes. Like ginger hair
    Type 1 Diabetes is part of the larger family of auto-immune diseases. What researchers have discovered in Lupus is that the body lacks a single gene-the one that tells the immune system NOT to attack the rest of the body. The same is likely true in Type 1 diabetes. My husband's whole family has auto-immune diseases. My fear is that my little guy (a wonderful 3 1/2 year old) will end up with Lupus as well. He has a very strong immune system. He never seems to get sick from colds or flu, but is always the first to have an allergic reaction to pollen or dust.

I hope your son will be ok Hollybee.

Quote hollybee
    The same is likely true in Type 1 diabetes.
    Gosh, I don't know much about the genetics of lupus or diabetes, I was just making an observation that traits can still 'run in your family' even if they don't seem to. I got the feeling that there were a few genes involved from what I read, even if one was most significant, but then you can't believe everything you read

Quote hollybee View Post
    Type 1 Diabetes is part of the larger family of auto-immune diseases. What researchers have discovered in Lupus is that the body lacks a single gene-the one that tells the immune system NOT to attack the rest of the body. The same is likely true in Type 1 diabetes. My husband's whole family has auto-immune diseases. My fear is that my little guy (a wonderful 3 1/2 year old) will end up with Lupus as well. He has a very strong immune system. He never seems to get sick from colds or flu, but is always the first to have an allergic reaction to pollen or dust.
    As you probably know, lupus is much less common in males, and is not inherited in the same way that illnesses like haemophilia, also the woman's genes generally play a larger role in inherited illnesses than the male's.
    Ooops, what I mean is that if a male carries a risk of something in his genes, it does not necessarily show up. It would show up if the woman had the same gene trait, but not if she didn't. Its sonething to to with women having 2 X chromosomes and men having 1 X and 1 Y.
    Allergies seem so much more common nowadays, so I doubt it means he will get lupus. I've got it, and I've never had a single allergy in my entire life.
    PM me if you want more info.
    Last edited by herbwormwood; Nov 1st, 2006 at 02:38 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Cherry View Post
    I hope your son will be ok Hollybee.

Thanks, Cherry. He's a terrific little boy. I am very careful not to mention that possibility in front of him, because he's also very perceptive and sensitive. He knows his father's very ill. I want him to continue to enjoy everything in his happy little life. He's very sensitive and will brood over things for a long time before telling us that he is upset or scared by something.

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    As you probably know, lupus is much less common in males, and is not inherited in the same way that illnesses like haemophilia, also the woman's genes generally play a larger role in inherited illnesses than the male's.
    Ooops, what I mean is that if a male carries a risk of something in his genes, it does not necessarily show up. It would show up if the woman had the same gene trait, but not if she didn't. Its sonething to to with women having 2 X chromosomes and men having 1 X and 1 Y.
    Allergies seem so much more common nowadays, so I doubt it means he will get lupus. I've got it, and I've never had a single allergy in my entire life.
    PM me if you want more info.

It looks like it's only the men in my husband's family who have been getting Lupus and other autoimmune diseases (until my daughter). He has a cousin who is a few years older; this cousin got the same form of Lupus at the same age my dh was when he was diagnosed. His grandfather had the skin form of the disease. So did several of his uncles. Another cousin is a Type 1 diabetic.

I believe that an allergy is an immune response-the immune system is overresponding to an allergen. My dh had a terrible problem with allergies when we first came to CA. He has to take Claritin and Nasarel (a steroid nasal spray) daily or he will get terribly stuffed up by the middle of the day.
    He came here a month before I got here with the children. Two days after he arrived here, he told me that his face was swelling up every morning. This was before we got any health insurance, so he was on no medications at all. This went on for a week before I remembered that I had severe allergy problems when I first moved to CA. He started taking Claritin, and that reduced the problem a lot.
    Maybe I'm wrong. I certainly hope so.

Default can a raw vegndiet cure diabetes?

That looks great Cedar. Hope I'll get a little free time soon so I can watch it Thanks for the link.

I am a type 2 diabetic who was taught to eat vegan to reverse the disease process. My mother was diabetic first and eating vegan with no processed foods (only a whole food plant based diet) and exercise got her off all her meds. So I have alot of confedience and actually have been vegan for years now I am adding the no processed foods and exercising. The weimar insitute teaches people what to eat. You can look them up. They have done major research.

Default Vegan diet found to markedly improve health of diabetes patients

Default Re: Link: Vegan diet found to markedly improve health of diabetes patients

My grandfather, who has diabetes, heard this and decided to go vegan. He seemed a lot healthier to me--more energy, healthier-looking, etc. But he was losing a bit of weight (although he wasn't overweight, he could have stood to lose a couple of pounds anyway), and one of his nephews, who's a doctor convinced him that being vegan was bad for him. So he reverted back to being an omnivore. He told me once recently that he misses being a vegan, but I doubt he'll ever go back. However, now that he's gone back to being an omnivore and taking on some crazy diabetes diet his doctor recommended, he's losing more weight than ever and his health is going downhill.
    One good thing came of it, though (besides him cutting down on meat consumption since being vegan) -- I had always intended to go vegan but never got around to it till my grandpa went vegan. When I realized he was vegan and I still wasn't, after all that time, I finally did it! However, my grandpa still doesn't really "get" veganism....everytime I see him he tells me he doesn't understood why as a vegan he couldn't eat egg whites since they have no cholesterol, and asks why I don't eat them. I keep trying to explain it's about ethics and animal welfare, but he doesn't get it.
    Anyway, I hope more people are influenced by these diabetes findings, and I'm still glad that even if my grandfather isn't vegan anymore, he at least eats fewer animal products (and I secretly hope someday he'll go back to being vegan )
    Last edited by mariana; Aug 13th, 2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: .

Default More Evidence Links Cow’s Milk to Type 1 Diabetes

More Evidence Links Cow’s Milk to Type 1 Diabetes

A new study adds more evidence that cow's milk proteins trigger type 1 diabetes. Marcia Goldfarb of Anatek-EP, a protein research laboratory in Portland, Maine, reports having found antibodies to bovine beta-lactoglobulin in the serum of children with diabetes. Individuals without diabetes did not have the antibody.

Type 1 diabetes is believed to be caused when antibodies destroy the insulin-producing pancreatic cells. Several studies have suggested that cow's milk proteins may trigger the production of these dangerous antibodies. Larger studies are currently testing this theory.

Study/Research Reference: Goldfarb M. Relation of time of introduction of cow milk protein to an infant and risk of type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Proteome Research 2008;7:2165-7
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 21st, 2008 at 08:31 AM.

Default Egg Consumption Linked to Risk of Type 2 Diabetes

PCRM (Physicians Commitee for Responsible Medicine) sent out this info today:

In a new study including about 57,000 men and women from two large, completed randomized trials, researchers found that daily consumption of eggs increased the likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes. Daily egg intake was associated with a 77 and 58 percent increased risk for women and men, respectively.

Djoussé L, Gaziano JM, Buring JE, Lee I. Egg consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in men and women. Diabetes Care. Published online ahead of print November 18, 2008. DOI: 10.2337/dc08-1271.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Egg Consumption Linked to Risk of Type 2 Diabetes

I wish more people would read this - and believe it. If I tell my family, they'll say that I am being brain washed. I'll tell them anyway!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Do you have a link to where the paper itself was published online? I'm a bit of a geek and like to read these things and also to see the methodology etc.

Mahk

^Sorry, I think you have to pay to read beyond this abstract:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi...ct/dc08-1271v1

Zero

I'd like to see something that actually explains how though rather than just trying to link the two together. You can use studies to link together number of icecreams sold to the number of murders on a given day.

Always glad to see physicians telling people not to eat animal products though of course.

Mahk

Good point Zero. It reminds me of the true reason for global warming; pirate decimation:
    ARGH!

Zero

Avast, me hearties correlation does not imply causation, aarrgghhh!

I have a gas fire and I haven't been murdered therefore my gas fire keeps away murderers.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Good point Zero. It reminds me of the true reason for global warming; pirate decimation:
    ARGH!

Zero

Nicely presented

Default Animal Protein Linked to Increased Diabetes Risk

Animal Protein Linked to Increased Diabetes Risk

Diabetes risk increases with higher intake of total protein and animal protein, according to a new study in this month's issue of Diabetes Care. Researchers analyzed the diets of 38,094 Dutch participants from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study and found that for every 5 percent of calories consumed from protein instead of carbohydrate or fat, the risk of developing diabetes increased 30 percent. Increased animal protein intake coincided with increased intakes of saturated fat, cholesterol, and heme iron, and with increased body mass index, waist circumference, and blood pressure. Vegetable protein intake was not associated with diabetes risk.

Study/Research Reference: Sluijs I, Beulens JWJ, Van Der A DL, Spijkerman AMW, Grobbee DE, Van Der Shouw YT. Dietary intake of total, animal, and vegetable protein and risk of type 2 diabetes in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-NL study. Diabetes Care. 2010; 33:43-48.

Default Re: Plant consumption and health risks

More Vegetables for Mom Decreases Risk of Diabetes for Baby

(December 2. 2009)

In a new study published in Pediatric Diabetes, researchers found that women who consumed the least amount of vegetables during pregnancy were more likely to have babies who developed type 1 diabetes.

Compared with women who ate vegetables daily, those consuming vegetables only three to five times per week had a 71 percent increased risk of having a child with diabetes.

Study/Research Reference: Brekke HK, Ludvigsson J. Daily vegetable intake during pregnancy negatively associated to islet autoimmunity in the offspring - The ABIS study. Pediatr Diabetes. Advanced access published September 16, 2009. DOI: 10.1111/j.1399-5448.2009.00563.x

Default Re: Animal Protein Linked to Increased Diabetes Risk

Also:
    Meat Consumption Increases Risk of Diabetes

A new review published in the journal Diabetologia adds more evidence linking meat consumption to diabetes risk. The people who ate the most meat had the highest risk of type 2 diabetes. Intakes of red meat and processed meat were associated with 21 and 41 percent increased risk, respectively. The study was a systematic review compiling data from 12 prior studies.

Study/Research Reference: Aune D, Ursin G, Veierod MB. Meat consumption and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. Diabetologia. 2009;52:2277-2287.

Default Green leafy vegetables reduce diabetes risk

This is a newsitem from a newspaper.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1225907638440

Green leafy vegetables reduce diabetes risk

From correspondents in Paris From: AFP August 20, 2010 9:46AM

TUCKING into more spinach and other green leafy vegetables can reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes.

The research, released today in the British Medical Journal, wades into a controversial area, and its authors caution more investigation is needed to confirm the findings.

A team led by Patrice Carter at the University of Leicester, in central England, reviewed six studies involving 220,000 people that explored the link between fruit and vegetable consumption and Type 2, or adult-onset, diabetes.

Eating one and a half extra servings of green leafy vegetables cut the risk of diabetes by 14 per cent, but eating more fruit and vegetables combined had negligible impact, they found.

Type 2, the commonest form of diabetes, has spread fast from rich countries to fast-developing economies as fatty, sugary diets and sedentary lifestyles take hold.

More than 220 million people worldwide are afflicted with the disease, which kills more than one million people every year, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).

As obesity rates increase, the number of deaths could double between 2005 and 2020, the WHO said.

Nutrition and exercise were known factors in prevention, but which foods worked best and why remain disputed, because so few good-quality studies had been carried out.

Dr Carter's team suggests that green leafy vegetables are useful because they are high in antioxidants and magnesium, but more work was needed to bear this out.

In a separate study published yesterday in the British Journal of Pharmacology, Chinese scientists said a compound extracted from various Chinese herbs helped reduce the impact of Type 2 diabetes in mice.

The product, known as emodin, inhibits an enzyme called 11-Beta-HSD1, which plays a role in resistance to insulin, the hormone that helps clear excess sugar from the blood.

Emodin can be extracted from Chinese rhubarb (Rheum palmatum) and Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum) among others, the paper said.

"Researchers would need to develop chemicals that have similar effects as emodin, and see which if any of these could be used as a therapeutic drug," said Ying Leng of the Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica.

Diabetes is controlled by injections of insulin and blood-sugar levels.

If unchecked, the disease can lead to heart disease, vision loss, limb amputation and kidney failure.
    Respect for all living entities

...hence my name.

I am vegan and a Type II diabetic, and in the last year I reduced animal products and finally went full vegan---and watched my HbA1C go from 15 to 5.8, thanks to the info I found in Dr. Neal Barnard's book titled Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program For Reversing Diabetes. It's almost miraculous, from the POV of this formerly frustrated Type II. I am continually amazed at how much better I feel.

I did not have peripheral neuropathy, but I did have autonomic neuropathy, badly. Now---no more constant puking, no more urinary incontinence. It's wonderful.

Quote The Veganbetic View Post
    ...hence my name.

I am vegan and a Type II diabetic, and in the last year I reduced animal products and finally went full vegan---and watched my HbA1C go from 15 to 5.8, thanks to the info I found in Dr. Neal Barnard's book titled Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program For Reversing Diabetes. It's almost miraculous, from the POV of this formerly frustrated Type II. I am continually amazed at how much better I feel.

I did not have peripheral neuropathy, but I did have autonomic neuropathy, badly. Now---no more constant puking, no more urinary incontinence. It's wonderful.
    I have tried to convince my mother (a type II diabetic) of this and even bought her the book, but she keeps going back to dairy products -- a lifelong addiction for her
    "Out of the ash
    I rise with my red hair
    And I eat men like air."

Quote eve View Post
    Hi fiamma, that may be true, but you don't know how irritating it is for me, a vegan, to hear doctors and others, including vegans, say that obesity leads to diabetes type 2, as well as too much fat etc. Well my diabetes #2 is inherited and I am not obese, neither do I eat fats - the only fat I consume is a dessertspoonful of flaxseed oil, and the occasional avocado.

You are right that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another. But I will say that my diabetes is completely under control, though I do watch my fruit intake and avoid, eg, too much watermelon and instead eat rockmelon which has a lower GI. I know quite a few people with diabetes #2 (doesn't EVERYONE have it now?) and they are all meat eaters. I don't know of any vegans around here where I live, though one good guy I met in Brisbane was a vegan and he was diagnosed with diabetes too, and he was not obese either.
    Hi Eve,
    I agree with what you have to say here. I have a predisposition to type II diabetes on my maternal side (going back four generations that I know of) and had slightly elevated sugar in pregnancy. I am not diabetic, but fear for my future. This disease is genetic. We can guard against the worst aspects of the disease through careful nutrition, exercise and healthy living overall, but completely obliterating it may be another matter. To be honest, I have yet to encounter a morbidly obese diabetic myself. Anyway
    "Out of the ash
    I rise with my red hair
    And I eat men like air."

Quote rroseselavy View Post
    I have tried to convince my mother (a type II diabetic) of this and even bought her the book, but she keeps going back to dairy products -- a lifelong addiction for her
    I'm really sorry. Yeah, dairy is totally addictive! Perhaps....do you know of Daiya? It's a fake cheese that melts and stretches and has good mouthfeel and tastes good Your mother may like it.

Default Video: Dr. Brian Clement about meat, cancer and diabetes type 2

Default Non-vegetarians: 69% higher diabetes and heart risk?

Vegetarians may be at lower diabetes, heart risk

An excerpt:
    (Reuters Health) - A new study finds that a meat-free diet seems to lower a person's likelihood of having certain risk factors for diabetes or heart disease -- and therefore may lower the risk of one day developing those illnesses.

Researchers measured a suite of factors -- blood sugar, blood fats, blood pressure, waist size, and body mass - that when elevated add up to "metabolic syndrome," and found that vegetarians were lower than non-vegetarians on all counts except cholesterol.

Having metabolic syndrome puts people at a greater risk of developing diabetes or heart disease in the future.

In the study, 23 out of every 100 vegetarians were found to have at least three metabolic syndrome factors, compared with thirty-nine out of every 100 non-vegetarians and 37 out of every 100 semi-vegetarians.

"I was expecting there should be a difference," said Nico Rizzo of Loma Linda University, the lead researcher on the study. "But I didn't expect that it would be that much."

[...]

In this study, 35 percent of the subjects did not eat meat, whereas only about five percent of all Americans are vegetarian.

One of the differences Rizzo discovered between the groups was age. Vegetarians, on average, were 3 years older than the meat-eaters.

"Even though they're older, they're in better shape," Rizzo said. "That's something I found quite interesting."
    (2010/2011)

Link to the actual report:
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/con...3/13/dc10-1221
    CONCLUSIONS A vegetarian dietary pattern is associated with a more favorable profile of MRFs and a lower risk of MetS. The relationship persists after adjusting for lifestyle and demographic factors.

Default Re: Non-vegetarians: 69% higher diabetes and heart risk?

The Daily Mirror has an article about this study in the paper today and on their website (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health-...5875-23062209/) - at least the message is getting out there to people.