Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vegans in Charlotte North Carolina?

Default Re: Vegans in Charlotte North Carolina?

its in Greensboro on Tate Street right near UNC-G - definately check it out!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

I was just in Greensboro for a conference and a vegan elsewhere recommended bobahouse...I absolutely LOVED it! I just wish it was closer to me or they'd get a franchise going in Asheville or something
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

ah im so jealous! i havnt been in so long - since last march or april i think actually! sad - ill have to make the trip soonish - actually my uncle works in greensboro now so ill have to call him to set up a lunch date sometime soon
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Question Vegan places to eat in Charlotte, NC

HI,
    I am a member of the Sacramento (CA) Vegan Meetup Group, http://vegan.meetup.com/105/ and I was glad to see this vegan forum. I am visiting Charlotte in August, and I am wondering if I need to pack vegan food with me or if I'll be able to eat out?? Any suggestions for places to eat would be greatly appreciated. I am a very strict vegan-so please don't recommend " I am not sure, but they are probably vegan" type places. Also, I'll have access to a kitchen, so any grocery stores with health sections would be helpful as well. Thanks much!
    Tara
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 31st, 2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Vegan places to eat in Charlotte, NC

Hello. I live in Charlotte! There are a few places you can eat.

Woodlands (Indian) - all vegetarian restaurant with many vegan options. Just watch out for paneer (chesse) and yogurt based foods. Most creamy dishes use coconut milk. We have many Indian restaurants here. This is my favorite one.

Thai House - they know what vegan means and say they can make almost any dish vegan. They have a special all veg menu if you ask for it. It has even more selections than the regular menu.

Brixx Pizza - I'm waiting for a reply from them - I asked if their soy cheese has casein. If it turns out to be non-vegan, you can always go cheese-less. I'll update when they answer me.
    Update: they do use casein, so the cheese is not vegan.
    New Update: about a month ago (Sept 2008), I went back to Brixx and now they use vegan cheese! Yah!

Common Market Deli - half their menu is vegetarian and most of them can be made vegan by holding the cheese. I don't know about their bread, but all the sandwiches can be made in a tortilla wrap, which is vegan. I like their artichoke wrap and Mediterranean wrap.

There is an Ethiopian restaurant that is very good. I'm fairly sure their sauces are vegan, but I don't know about the bread. I know you didn't want to hear about "maybe" places. I just thought I would mention it.

The Home Economist, Earth Fare & Tally's Green Grocery - three health food stores with a ton of vegan options. They all have their own cafeteria (except for one of the Home Economists - there are two of them here).

Moe's Southwest Grill - a trendy Mexican food place that is veg friendly. They make your food right in front of you and you get to tell them what you want in it as they are making it.

There's a new restaurant coming, but it might not be open by the time you come. It will be called Zada Jane's.

So, that's about it for places with a lot of vegan options. Next up, you have chain restaurants with maybe 1 or 2 things to eat like McAlister's Deli, Taco Bell, Portofino's (Italian), Souper Salad, etc...

Default Re: Vegan places to eat in Charlotte, NC

Wow, there is a vegan in Charlotte! I was beginning to think they were all in Asheville. That's super. Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I love Indian and Mexican. Now I almost wish I were going to be there longer!

Well, since you like Indian food, I will list all the restaurants with my rating:

***** Woodlands Pure Vegetarian South Indian Cuisine
    ***** Bombay Grille
    **** Namaste Bar & Restaurant
    **** Maharani Indian Cuisine

*** Jaipur Indian Restaurant
    ** Udipi Pure Vegetarian Cuisine

I don't trust the Mexican restaurants here (except for Moe's). There's probably nothing vegan at any of them. The last one I trusted was Azteca because they had a vegetarian burrito and a cactus burrito. However, there was a taste in it I couldn't quite put my finger on. I decided I thought they were using bacon grease. Maybe they weren't, but it definitely does not taste like vegetable oil. And they throw parmesean cheese on everything - even if you say 'no cheese'. So, I quit eating there.

I just read a few posts earlier. I always forget about the restaurant called Creations. It is fairly good. It's still new to me (only about a year old). I tried their Pad Thai and it was excellent. The atmosphere is new age with abstract art on the wall. I don't remember what all they had on the menu - I seem to remember they had a large variety from different cultures.

I'll keep thinking of more restaurants to recommend.

I have one more restaurant to add: The Pewter Rose.

I just tracked down the chef from my favorite restaurant (which is no longer a restaurant). He's at the Pewter Rose now. I am a bit disappointed because he is vegan and his cooking used to be all vegan. But he still has his Thai "Chicken" Wraps! This is my favorite thing in the world. I'm going to haul my butt up there as soon as I can.

http://pewterose.com/page/nwpr/Summer_Menu.html

Other than the wraps, there's nothing much else vegan, though.
    Warm & cozy? Are we talking vodka or the other good stuff? Wink, wink...

Yea Brixx does have casein in their soy cheese - I had emailed them inquiring bout that and they said it was bc they hadnt found one that melted well yet - I told them to use Follow Your Heart bc thats what TJs Scallywaggles uses in Allston MA but they never replied and obviously havnt changed it
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Update: I went to the Pewter Rose last this weekend. The Thai "Chicken" Wrap was good, but not as good as it used to be when he made it at The Peaceful Dragon. I think part of the problem is volume of sales. One time I asked Geoff how he made it. He said he marinated the seitan overnight with about 40 spices. I don't think it sells well enough to merit that much effort.

But it was nice having it again for old time sake. But at $9, I won't be eating it very often.

I have another restaurant to add to the list: Chipotle. I haven't ever been, but apparently they are vegan friendly. Just don't order anything with pinto beans. They put bacon in them. Get the black beans. They are vegan. I'll check them out soon.

Wink Re: Vegans in Charlotte North Carolina?

Thank you all for the many suggestions. I leave next week and look forward to sampling the local fare. FYI, follow your heart cheese is vegan, but it smells nasty when it is warm (like melting crayons). That's why cooks I have talked to don't use it. In any case, I wish you all lots of luck being vegan in the environment that you live in. Keep it up, and if you're ever in Sacramento, I'll give you some tips on where to eat too!

Does anybody know of any restaurants in Salisbury, NC with veggie options?

Quote Wishin986 View Post
    Yea Brixx does have casein in their soy cheese - I had emailed them inquiring bout that and they said it was bc they hadnt found one that melted well yet - I told them to use Follow Your Heart bc thats what TJs Scallywaggles uses in Allston MA but they never replied and obviously havnt changed it
    Update on Brixx. I just got this email response from them:

Our new vegan cheese is casein and lactose free. Our crust does not contain any eggs or dairy. You can check out the complete menu on line at www.brixxpizza.com
    We have a good selection salads too.
    Thanks for your interest in Brixx,
    Jeff van Dyke

Arrow Re: Vegans in Charlotte North Carolina?

Sorry if this is off subject a bit, but we are looking for a vegan roommate in charlotte. Awsome house, room with private bath, great neighborhood, NW side, W/D on site. Please call 571-527-6727 if you are vegan and need a place in charlotte. I will be without the internet after 6-13, so call! Lacey (400 utl incld)(sunman rd)

aniecruz

Default Vegans in Charlotte North Carolina

In Charlotte North Carolina Cloud 9 Confections bakery makes cakes, and other bakery items for weddings, corporate events, and private parties. They offer over one dozen wedding cake flavors including German chocolate, coconut, and pineapple rum, and vegan options are offered. Special decorations such as gum paste, fresh fruits and flowers, cookies, and petit fours can be included with your wedding cake. Pricing is $2.50 and up per serving for wedding cakes, delivery is free within 50 miles, and a consultation and tasting is also free.

---------------------
    Aniecruz

North Carolina Drug Addiction

I'm new to North Carolina. I just moved here from Maryland and I'm living in Greensboro. Any local veg*ns? There is a meetup.com Greensboro meetup group, but I have yet been unable to make it to any of their meetups.

Quote Starry Eyed View Post
    I'm new to North Carolina. I just moved here from Maryland and I'm living in Greensboro. Any local veg*ns? There is a meetup.com Greensboro meetup group, but I have yet been unable to make it to any of their meetups.
    You have to try the Boba House in Greensboro. Very vegan friendly. http://www.bobahouse.com. Great food, too. If you ever go near Asheville, there are at least two restaurants that are vegan frienldy - Rosetta's Kitchen and The Laughing Seed. And of course, there are all the restaurants I mentioned in Charlotte, too.

For being down south, NC is actually fairly vegan friendly. I consider myself very lucky. Now all I need is a vegan bakery around here. I am envious of PA because they have Vegan Treats bakery. It beat out 47 non-vegan bakeries for the best bakery in 2006. That's pretty darned impressive.

I just wanted to say hello here. I'm not in Charlotte, I'm in Asheville. I just moved here from CLT a little less than a year ago . Hope you are all well out there!
    ~Christina~
    Keep the Tings and Veggie Booty AWAY FROM ME! I can't be stopped :(

I'm closer to Asheville than Charlotte myself. I like Asheville A LOT
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

I am a vegan and have lived in Charlotte going on more than 4 years. I made a list of vegan friendly places that's almost 2 pages long. If anyone wants me to send this doc, message me your email or look below. Half of them I have been to, and the other half I have reviewed the menu and it passed. Places with the (c) symbol I have been to countless times and is a favorite.

Dean and Deluca’s (Euro style) Phillips Place, Fairview Rd
    Blu Basil Café R 306 Sharon Amity Rd, Cotswold Shopping center
    Izzy’s Café, lunch until 2:30pm R 5668 International Dr, Lansdowne off Providence
    Lupie’s Café (dive) 2718 Monroe Rd. (7th St)
    Akropolis Café (Greek) Arboretum and 8500 University City Blvd
    The Common Market (Deli) 2007 Commonwealth Ave and 1515 S. Tryon St
    Phat Burrito 1537 Camden Rd
    Chipotle Providence Rd and South Blvd and Matthews
    Moe’s Southwest Grill East Blvd, Sharon Rd, 51, Arsley, McCullough Dr
    Qdoba Mexican Grill Woodlawn, WT Harris, Providence, Matthews
    California Pizza Kitchen Southpark Mall
    Noodles & Co. 2201 South Blvd and Arboretum
    Nothing But Noodles 1605 Elizabeth Ave and Stonecrest
    ©Zada Jane’s 1601 Central Ave
    Clucker’s Mediterranean Grille R 8318 Pineville-Matthews Rd, McMullen Creek Ctr
    King Tut (Middle Eastern) R 391 Towne Centre Blvd Pineville
    Sofram Turkish Cuisine 8652 Pineville-Matthews Rd
    Meskerem Ethiopian Cuisine 601 S. Kings Dr
    Cantina 1511 (Mexican) 1511 East Blvd and 7708 Rea Rd
    Cabo Fish Taco 3201 N. Davidson St, NoDa
    Mezzanote Ristorante (Italian) Providence Plaza @ Sharon Amity
    The Pewter Rose 1820 South Blvd

©Cuisine Malaya 1411 Elizabeth Ave
    Creation (Asian Fusion) 1221 The Plaza
    Zen Asian Fusion 1716 Kenilworth Ave
    Formosa Chinese Cuisine Arboretum Shopping Ctr
    Shanghai Quail Corners, Park Rd
    Mai Japanese Restaurant (veg. Hibachi) R 7731 Colony Rd and Arsley Grand
    Siam Garden Thai Restaurant R 3607 Whitehall Park Dr 28273, Steele Creek area
    Thai House R 230 E. WT Harris Blvd and Pineville-Matthews Rd
    Thai Taste Matthews and University (thaitastecharlotte.com)
    Thai Orchid 4223 Providence Rd
    Deejai Thai Restaurant 613 Providence Rd next to Manor Theater
    Lang Van (Vietnamese) 3019 Shamrock Dr
    Pho Real Vietnamese 440 E. McCullough Dr 28262
    ©Fu Lin Indo-Chinese C 5301 E. Independence Blvd

Woodlands Pure Vegetarian R 7128 Albemarle Rd
    Namaste India 4508 E. Independence Blvd
    Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant 9510 University City Blvd-- replaced Udipi
    Maharani Indian Cuisine 901 S. Kings Dr
    Jaipur Indian Restaurant 5909 South Blvd
    Bombay Grille 8706 Pineville-Matthews Rd, next to Thai House

Uptown

Pita Pit open late 214 N. Tryon St
    Blynk Organic 7am- 4pm 200 S. Tryon St (blynk.com)
    ©©Brixx Pizza Seventh Street Station
    Fujo (Sushi/Asian) R One Wachovia Bldg, S. College St

Concord

Gianni’s Trattoria (unusual Italian)R 16 Union St
    Mai Thai R 3775 Concord Pkwy

Rock Hill/Fort Mill SC

Liu Liu’s Asian Fusion 940 Market St Fort Mill

Hello Sheila,
    There's a new source for vegan desserts in Charlotte called "Your VEGANESSE, divine desserts." The website is www.yourveganesse.com. They do customized cakes, pies, and tarts. I know the owner and she holds taste-testing parties every so often. You should check this out, the desserts are stunning and I feel awesome after I eat them!

From the Your VEGANESSE website: "Your Veganesse desserts use the healthiest ingredients available such as: unbleached wheat flour, unbleached raw sugar, agave nectar, and raw honey".

So, not vegan afterall then.

I couldn't find where they gave the ingredients list and on the links page, an article is linked to which says you don't need to use honey. Do you think they've changed ingredients or did I just miss that page?

trudatman

bump for a displaced Allstonian in Charlotte.

so

hungry

[dies]

Quote Sheila View Post
    First I would like to say that I am so happy to have found this forum. The posts are great to read and everyone seems to be so friendly!

I live in Charlotte, NC and know 2 vegetarians and no vegans. I feel like I'm the only one in the city.

Thank goodness for Talley's, Earth Fare and The Home Economist. I don't have the time to search out restaurants but would love to know of any here that are vegan friendly.

I'm getting tired of ordering a salad - hold the crutons and cheese! Or Nachos hold the everything.....

If anyone is from this area I would love to know how you get along being vegan in Charlotte!

Thanks,
    Sheila
    Hi, I also live in Charlotte and often find myself with very few choices. Have you tried Luna in South Blvd? its in South end, near downtown, their food is delicious.
    I also go to Manhattan Bagel in the Arboretum, I recently found out that most of their bagels are vegan, unless you order an egg bagel they recently added hummus and the owner said they would start carrying vegan cream cheese sometime this week. Earth Fare is amazing. Another one is a vietnamese restaurant in Shamrock Dr. called Lang Van, if you like soups, that is a great place.