Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22
Results 1,051 to 1,061 of 1061

Thread: Vegan London, part 1

Default Re: Vegan London, part I

looks like it may be the 9th then!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

That's next Friday!
    eta I can make both 9th or 16th - so far.

(I have a recycled diary from Letts and I really don't think I can cope with it all year, I can hardly see the dates. But how wasteful to replace it now I've written in it. )
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

is the 9th too soon do you think?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Not for me, I was just shocked as I'm not mentally prepared for January to begin tomorrow!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

i know what you mean!

what's the deal with V&M in Greek Street?

i've been there twice now to find it closed - both at peak meal times - with no indication of when it might be open. there is the burger bar, and the 'fine dining' restaurant next door - which has a menu outside describing dishes containing beef and chicken. there wasn't a clear explanation on the menu as to whether these were veggie meats, and nobody to ask because they weren't open. is this restaurant veggie, and does it (and the burger bar) ever open?! it looks decidedly dodgy to me!

yesterday i was in the Chinese buffet in Camden, great food as usual (battered veggie fish; veggie shrimps with brussels sprouts... nom nom nom). i had to laugh when a couple came in, started eating a plate each and then asked the waitress which of the dishes were not vegetarian... the look on their faces was a picture and they very hurriedly paid the bill and left, as if the thought of eating a meal without meat was just too much for them to bear

where is the chinese buffet in camden? do they have lots of vegan options? I didn't realise there was one! no fair!

^ very close to the tube station, part of the same chain as all the other vegan ones in London (Tai, Veg etc).

cool, can't wait for my next trip

Gorilla
    I've been to V&M takeaway about 3 times and it's been open. I went one night last week (about 9pm) and the 'fine dining' place next door had opened but it was totally empty and I didn't think it looked great. I think it's a bit dodgy too. I'm 99% sure everything is vegan and fine as I've seen some of the products they use behind the counter (ie Plamil mayo) and one of the owners has his own veggie meats business (though he doesn't mention they're vegan on his website). But there's something about the place that makes me a bit uneasy. I contacted the Vegan Society to see if they knew of it (as they're using the logo on their website and in the shop) but I haven't heard back yet. Last week when I went in, they'd also put up a cardboard rossette saying '1st place vegetarian and vegan' with no mention of who the 'award' was from - it's phoney things like that which take us for idiots that I don't like. Something doesn't quite ring true... Although the Secret Society of Vegans recommend it and have some of their flyers in there so I guess they think it's ok. It's so quiet in there I'm not convinced it will even last. If they really knew the vegan market they could advertise more effectively but I don't think they know anything about us (which makes me worry)...

Quote Gorilla View Post
    what's the deal with V&M in Greek Street?

yesterday i was in the Chinese buffet in Camden, great food as usual (battered veggie fish; veggie shrimps with brussels sprouts... nom nom nom). i had to laugh when a couple came in, started eating a plate each and then asked the waitress which of the dishes were not vegetarian... the look on their faces was a picture and they very hurriedly paid the bill and left, as if the thought of eating a meal without meat was just too much for them to bear
    For some reason I really find it funny when that happens!
    When the one on Greek Street was open people would always walk in and take a plate then walk out again when they realised it was all veg!
    Though its even funnier that they were already eating- probably even enjoying (!!!)- their meal and still raced out!!

I know what you mean about the V&M place.
    After hearing dodgy things about the company behind it on here, and only popping in quickly to see what the place looked like, I'm not too impressed and a little scared to try it!!