Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 1

Default Re: Vegan London

Its well cool in there Stu, think its called In Spiral, yes on the right on the way to Camden Lock by where the fire was, just before the canal.

They are very friendly in there and have lots of evenings on and acoustic nights, poetry eves etc...

There is a room downstairs to hire and internet access.

Organic vegan bottled beer and cider too also vegan wines and cocktails in the eve.

They know how to make decent vegan food and lots of raw dishes too, cool beatroot hummous too!

Yep well needed in Camden!

Stu

I'm like, so there dude.

BlackCats

Alisont knows more about Vegan London than anyone who actually lives there. She is a wealth of information.

that place sounds awesome! will be making a trip to camden especially, methinks. south london sucks sometimes....

oh, speaking of camden - anyone been to the green note cafe? it's down near fresh and wild. they're all veggie, lots vegan, with some cool jazz, i hear. thinking of going down a week saturday for my birthday, but wondered if the food was any good?

amanda

Quote flying plum View Post
    south london sucks sometimes...

heh heh, don't get me wrong - south london born and bred (well, almost born...actually born in hammersmith), but for veganfun, north london does feel more accomodating sometimes...

amanda

Stu

oh, speaking of camden - anyone been to the green note cafe? it's down near fresh and wild. they're all veggie, lots vegan, with some cool jazz, i hear. thinking of going down a week saturday for my birthday, but wondered if the food was any good?

amanda
    I've been to Green Note. I did like it, but they gave me cheese, which annoyed me. Apart from that, it was pretty good.

south london sucks sometimes....
    South London is the places to the south of the Thames.
    Brighton is a place to the south of the Thames.
    Therefore Brighton is in south London.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

interesting logic...but slightly flawed - surely brighton is south OF london, rather than South London plus, i suspect many brightonites would be most offended to be told they were part of london!

amanda

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Alisont knows more about Vegan London than anyone who actually lives there. She is a wealth of information.

Blushes Thanks Just happened to spot that new cafe and thought id investigate in case it was worth sharing with my vegan friends! The vegan cake skills there have the potential for being the best vegan cakes in London Its def well worth a visit, the savoury food was nice but not as nice as their cakes (do try the choc brownies they do a vegan one and a non vegan one) oh and yummy vegan cheesecake!

My mum once said if there was a vegan travel agents i should apply for a job

Not been to Greennote but am sure i read somewhere they were closed for a while or not doing food for a bit - but that was last year?

I heard about Spiral a while back as it was somewhere the London Vegans were having meetings every now and then. I should have mentioned it here I suppose, but since I hadn't tried it . . . nice to have a review alisont!

I went to Green Note once, what I had was okay but I wasn't impressed by the vegan choices - I had thought they would have more. Also I seem to remember they weren't clued up about the wine either but this was about a year ago.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Vanilla Black in York has closed. They are relocating to London. The restaurant will be open later in this month. They are looking for staff.

http://www.vanillablack.co.uk/

Vanilla Black
    17- 18 Tooks Court
    London
    EC4A 1LB
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Stu

Nice one for the info Kiran. Sorry it's moving away from your neck of the woods though.

so they do vegan choices, kiran?

P.S. This might well be a summer job for me

Quote Stu View Post

since Camden Town is the home of 'alternative' in London.
    And Lex...sigh...
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Lex?

Quote Stu View Post
    Nice one for the info Kiran. Sorry it's moving away from your neck of the woods though.
    I have been there only twice. I would not go all the way from Leeds to York just for the restaurant. Its a good place to eat though, as there are very limited places that are Vegan friendly in York. The York establishment was very small. Their menu marked all vegan items. Friendly staff too.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Yep they do. Its a veggie/vegan place.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Stu

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Lex?
    Heh, Lex was a funky pre-Bryzee forummer. Although he lived in Kentish Town actually.

How dare you reminisce on times PB (Pre-bryzee)! I am your heaven and earth now, and don't you forget it.

Quote bryzee86 View Post

P.S. This might well be a summer job for me
    i just had the same thought have to decide on bar or waitressing now....boo! still, will be a nice change from the gaucho grill and chez gerard that are on chancery lane at the moment. and i bet lawyers tip well

amanda

I found some divine (but very expensive) vegan choc at Paul A. Young in Camden. There were two vegan suitable truffles (£1.50 each) and quite a few solid bars.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Hey all. I just read on happycow that bourgeios bohem are opening a store in Richmond next month:

Clicky

and i bet lawyers tip well

You'd certainly be advised to check the tip jar if any lawyers had been in.

I'm pretty sure there's a negative correlation between salary and tipping. Those over £100k probably are reeeeally stingy.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Hey all. I just read on happycow that bourgeios bohem are opening a store in Richmond next month:

Clicky
    yippee! I hate buying shoes online!

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

I'm looking for a vegan resturant to go to for my bday next week and fancy going to london for the day. Anyone know of any vegan restuants in london?

x

Stu

222 is really good. Also Mildred's has a good reputation, but you can't pre-book. I'll have to reply more comprehensively later; no time just now. But yeah, there are loads of places. Riverside Vegetaria would be a good bet, but it's a bit out of the way.

BlackCats

Riverside Vegetaria is in Surrey so wouldn't be too far for you Yum. I want to try there actually, I've heard really good things.

Stu is right - 222 and Mildred's are very nice. Mildred's is in Soho so there would be more for you to do if you wanted to go out afterwards like to a bar or a show or sightseeing or a park if it's not freezing.

(Pogo in Hackney and Eat and 2 Veg in Marylebone are supposed to be yummy as well but I also haven't tried them yet.)

The only 100% vegan places are Pogo and the new upmarket Saf. Oh and isn't 222 is totally vegan too, except for having cows milk available for drinks?

Of the veggie places as well as those already mentioned there is also Manna - you could have a walk on Primrose Hill before or after dinner.
    Last edited by Marrers; Apr 19th, 2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: to add links

has anyone been to saf yet? my mum suggested going there for my birthday next friday, but imagine it might be pretty booked up? was well impressed she mentioned it, and that she's even willing to go to a raw restaurant!

yum - looks like we share a similar birthdate taurean vegans ROCK

amanda

Yes 222 is totally vegan bar for the dairy milk they keep hidden in case any non vegans want it.

I love 222, Mildreds is good but can involve a long wait, but foods good. 222 is my fave

Also heard Riversides good,

So much vegan choice in London

Happy Birthday Flying plum for friday- yes your bday is the day before me. Taureans kick ass!

Cheers for the link Marrers- 222 looks quite yummy. I have been to the riverside vegetaria and thought i might try something diffeent. But then again it is close by and so we might go there.....

decisions, decisions.......

Thanks for the recommendations

x

flying plum Saf is not 100% raw so it shouldn't be too challenging for the folks! It may not be booked up, you should definitely try enquiring.

It is a shame they don't have the menu on the website yet. I have a paper copy of the menu from when my friends went to the pre-opening night do but that is not much help to you is it! At this do they served some finger food for people to try and my friends were very impressed.

marrers - cheers for that going to ring them in a bit - they weren't open when i tried earlier!

yum - actually, my birthday is on saturday, so we are birthday-twins

amanda

Oooooh a birthday twin- never had one of those. How old are you going to be( don't have to answer that of course)?
    I'm going to be 22.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Riverside vegetaria i think it is!

23 and you must live reasonably near where i grew up too, if the vegetaria is close. how weird! (i grew up in surbition/thames ditton).

have fun a the vegetaria - hope it's a nice day so you can sit outside!

amanda

How funny. I use to live near the heathrow area and so kingston was always the shopping centre to go to when i was younger.

Have a lovely Birthday

x

Hey I'm from the US but I'll be studying abroad in London starting in September (until August 09). I'm really excited to be in London as the town I'm from is not that big (has a few health food stores and one vegan restaurant) and the town where I go to university is even smaller (population: ~8,000). So I'm wondering if I could get some suggestions as to the best places to buy groceries, eat out, etc. are in London. Are there any good British vegan products you recommend that I might not know of/aren't offered in the US? (i.e. when I was in London before I discovered I preferred Alpro to American soymilk brands) I'd love some vegan/vegan-friendly restaurant suggestions, too--I really love ethnic food. And one very important question--are there any good vegan-friendly coffeeshops? There's one about an hour away from me here (I don't get to visit it often) that's amazing! They make their own soy cheese and vegan waffles and chocolate syrup and they even make soy "frappuccino" type things. I LOVE frappuccino-type blended soy mochas, so I'm wondering...do you know of any good coffeeshops in London that have those? Thanks in advance for your help!

well, there's a lot of info in this thread, but i appreciate it's got very long! however, london is massive, and there's no point in us giving you info for one place if you're going to be living in another (well, you can always make a special trip, but local info is what you're going to want on a day to day basis).

so, first off - where will you be studying? perhaps you don't know where you're living yet, unless you're in halls though?

to answer your coffee question, most chain coffee shops will replace milk with soy - some at a surcharge, others for free (costa! woo hoo). i can't think of a specifically vegan coffee shop off hand, but i do know a few that are friendly...

amanda

No one sells vegan sandwiches at London Bridge station. Gah!

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

hey flying_plum! thanks for the advice--it probably IS a lot more helpful to ask about specifically where i'll be living! should have thought of that before. i will probably look through the thread at some point, but it's so long it's a little intimidating! hehe. well, i'll be studying at lse, and i just found out where i'll be living--it's in the area near spitalfields market and brick lane. know of any good restaurants in that area?

Stu

Yes! It's not far from Pogo, which is in Hackney. Pogo is not a restaurant; it's a cool little hippyish, dingy cafe thingy. Also, it's not too hard to get into central London from Brick Lane, so you'll have fairly easy access to all the places in Soho etc., for example Mildred's and Vita Organic and some others.

Where are you studying, might I ask?

Stu

She already said: LSE (London School of Economics).

Silly me, I missed that.

An American at LSE....how strange

Thanks, Stu!! I'll definitely try those places -- I've heard good things about Pogo.
    bryzee86: Is there something weird about an American studying at LSE?

I'm moving to that area in the summer mariana - we'll be neighbours!

mariana - i think bryzee is being sarcastic. there are LOTS of americans studying at LSE

as for around LSE, there are plenty of sandwich shops around there. I know nero and pret used to do vegan sandwiches - have they brought them back yet? There will also be a new veggie restaurant, although i think a bit dear, just off chancery lane. you're near food for thought on neal street in covent garden which is great for students. if LSE is anything like King's across the road (where i was) you should be able to get something like a jacket potato with beans on it for lunch in the canteen. indeed, if lse is as clued up as UCL where i am now, you might even be able to get some vegan-labelled sandwiches in the shop.

i'll have a think about coffee shops for your frappacinos...i can't think of anywhere specifcally vegan around there, but nero are usually pretty good about substituting soy for lots of things. sadly, where LSE is, it's a bit 'corporate' - lots of barristers chambers and solicitors firms, so more faceless chains, rather than cool little cafes.

i don't know brick lane so well, but there are others who live around there who i'm sure can help you better with the local scene

amanda

Rootmaster - that vegan cafe on the London bus - is quite near Brick Lane.
    Has anyone been there yet?

Not seen any vegan sarnies in Pret last few times I looked though they do a vegan 'breadless sandwich', ie a salad (yawn). Depending on your views Boots is another option for getting hold of one of those Fresh! sarnies and Starbucks also have soya milk (the Starbucks vegan list was copied on to here recently - try doing a search if interested).