Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 1

Default Re: Vegan London

Quote flying plum View Post
    if LSE is anything like King's across the road (where i was) you should be able to get something like a jacket potato with beans on it for lunch in the canteen.
    Jo informs me that, most of the time, the KCL veggie option (at waterloo, anyway) is vegan.

indeed, if lse is as clued up as UCL where i am now, you might even be able to get some vegan-labelled sandwiches in the shop.
    My uni has a few too. But it'd be far better if they made their own, rather than shipping them in at extortionate cost (what student has £3 for a sarnie?!)

Quote Marrers View Post
    Rootmaster - that vegan cafe on the London bus - is quite near Brick Lane.
    Has anyone been there yet?
    I know I must sound like a stuck record, but what's been putting me off is that I have no idea what the toilet provisions are like. I know there isn't one on the bus itself and unfortunately that's a deal breaker. If there's an accessable loo in the market I'd be along in a flash.

I know exactly what you mean, auby. I'd hate to be stuck there without toilet provisions. It's what puts me off redveg at times.

Ask Jo - I get really cranky when I need the loo.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I've moved my reply to somewhere else

and I have replied there also

bryzee - really? i didn't know that! although, i very rarely ate in the king's canteen...always felt it was a bit overpriced for what you got (minging school dinners). there were a few options i liked but i generally took my own dinner in/got a jacket and beans at the library for a £1.20. actually, i escaped UCL library for the Maughan the other day and noticed they'd gone up a bit. still....hot food for under £2. better than a sarnie if you ask me!

amanda

Quote Marrers View Post
    Has anyone been there yet?
    I was thinking of asking if you've been yet as I remember you mentioning it before. I'm going there this weekend, so can report back? Although I'm not very clued up on Vegan eateries, so won't have much to compare it to.

Quote aubergine View Post
    I know I must sound like a stuck record, but what's been putting me off is that I have no idea what the toilet provisions are like. I know there isn't one on the bus itself and unfortunately that's a deal breaker. If there's an accessable loo in the market I'd be along in a flash.
    Eek, never knew about this. I imagine Ewan Urinal* is going to get a good seeing to in the pub afterwards!

*Apologies if anyone's name is Ewan
    Last edited by Gwydion; Apr 24th, 2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: *
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote VeganDaze View Post
    I'm moving to that area in the summer mariana - we'll be neighbours!
    Awesome! We should meet up some time for some yummy vegan food -- seems like there should be lots of good options, especially with all the Indian restaurants on Brick Lane.

amanda, thanks for all the suggestions! i will check out food for thought...and see if neros can do a frappuccino type thing with soy.

Quote Stu View Post
    Yes! It's not far from Pogo, which is in Hackney. Pogo is not a restaurant; it's a cool little hippyish, dingy cafe thingy.
    I just looked up more info on Pogo--it looks really awesome! I can't wait to check it out.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    My uni has a few too. But it'd be far better if they made their own, rather than shipping them in at extortionate cost (what student has £3 for a sarnie?!)
    £3 for a sandwich?? I definitely can't afford that, especially with the exchange rate not exactly being in my favor! Maybe I'll be bringing my own lunch...

Quote Marrers View Post
    Not sure how I feel about the toilet situation that other people brought up, but eating vegan food in a bus does sound pretty exciting...I might have to check that out!

I have only just discovered the café on Clapham Common that did fried vegan breakfasts was taken over a few years ago and stopped being all veggie.

Not that I was intending on going, but disappointing to no longer have the choice.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

maikeru - do you mean ciceros? yeah...it's been closed a while now. there's a place opposite the bus stop called 'green bag' that does some cafe type food, and will 'veganise' on request with scrambled tofu etc.

also, you can get a pytta i panna at bread etc. down next to sainsbury's that is called on the menu 'vegan special'

so, if you ever decide to go....now you have a choice

amanda

I liked that place they have got the vegan cake idea sussed there

So are they the best vegan cakes in London? (As good as or better than Fresh & Wild?) The public needs to know!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I'm thinking of taking Emily to see a show and have a nice meal in London. where would you guys recommend that isn't too expensive but pretty nice. Buffet places would be cool too but I can't eat anywhere that isn't at least vegetarian because of my seafood issues. I just couldn't risk it. So any ideas?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Does it need to be in a particular area? If you've decided which show it would be useful to know where you'll be.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    So are they the best vegan cakes in London? (As good as or better than Fresh & Wild?) The public needs to know!
    No, they're slightly dry the choccy cake anyway. But I won't buy that F&W one again. The portions are about half the size of what they used to be (and InSpiral's cakes are much bigger, too).

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I'm thinking of taking Emily to see a show and have a nice meal in London. where would you guys recommend that isn't too expensive but pretty nice. Buffet places would be cool too but I can't eat anywhere that isn't at least vegetarian because of my seafood issues. I just couldn't risk it. So any ideas?
    How much would you be willing to spend per head. And with drinks?

Maaaaaan you guys are demanding lol! I have no idea what show I'm gonna take her too.....maybe dirty dancing I dunno lol. We will have a travel card so it won't really matter cuz we will be in London all day most likely.

As for food hmmmmm well I'm guessing around £25 each MAX tbh and that is including drinks.

Any good?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Go for Mildred's then. It's a good location and you can get a good meal with drinks for £25 per head. Only problem is that they don't take reservations, so if you really want the meal, get there early and sit at the bar if it's full. If you don't want the uncertainty, go for somewhere else (this is where someone else comes in with a suggestion).

http://www.mildreds.co.uk/

Mildred's looks pretty awesome! I worked it out that without drinks it would cost around £38 which is ideal

Thanks Brian!

brYan!!!

If you could see the spread sheet with the amount of Brians on it that I am typing into atm you would understand.

I know your name is Bryan. Alot of truckers are called Brian and I have to type it many times over.

I apologise!

oooo, yeah, mildred's is lovely. and if you're going pre-show, you'll probably be fine.

a word on the shows - don't go and see grease. it's like a school production.

dirty dancing is meant to be good - also, avenue q if you like your comedy a bit more, um...risque

amanda

Phantom and Chicago are damn good as well. Hairspray will be the next one for us.

I've seen Grease before and it was abit pants. Also seen Phantom of the Opera, We Will Rock You, mama mia and whatever the madness musical was called? Hairspray would also be right up Emily's street me thinks. Thanks again guys.

maikeru - do you mean ciceros? yeah...it's been closed a while now. there's a place opposite the bus stop called 'green bag' that does some cafe type food, and will 'veganise' on request with scrambled tofu etc.
    Has that gone too? Never been there but heard of it.

No, the place I mean is actually on the egde of the common, near Clapham Common Station. It is the shack like building just a short way along the main road to Clapham Junction that runs along the north side of the common. Near the paddling pool. It was an all vegetarian café.

Speaking of that road, it becomes Battersea Rise which had the all vegetarian Battersea Rice (see what they did there?). That seems to have gone too, and it was pretty good albeit rather expensive. Better for takeaway mind, as it was a typical small harshly lit hard chair café if you ate there.

Michael.

One of my ex students has just seen Dirty dancing and loved it, Hairspray sounds good too. I love Mildreds

Ive gone off fresh and wilds vegan passion fruit cake - way too dry but love their choc cake, I tried the pumpkin cake at in spiral and the coconut raspberry cheesecake both great, took my dad a slice of toffee apple and walnut cake which looked good, their vegan choc brownies were very good too.

For choc cake i love fresh n wilds

I think they have been skimping on the frosting at Fresh & Wild for some time now and the cakes are not always as moist and tasty as they used to be.

Quote Marrers View Post
    flying plum Saf is not 100% raw so it shouldn't be too challenging for the folks! It may not be booked up, you should definitely try enquiring.

It is a shame they don't have the menu on the website yet..
    As mentioned in the Saf thread - their website has now been updated and includes a menu.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote maikeru View Post
    Has that gone too? Never been there but heard of it.

No, the place I mean is actually on the egde of the common, near Clapham Common Station. It is the shack like building just a short way along the main road to Clapham Junction that runs along the north side of the common. Near the paddling pool. It was an all vegetarian café.

Speaking of that road, it becomes Battersea Rise which had the all vegetarian Battersea Rice (see what they did there?). That seems to have gone too, and it was pretty good albeit rather expensive. Better for takeaway mind, as it was a typical small harshly lit hard chair café if you ate there.

Michael.

oh, hang on...i'm confused. never went to cicero's, but was of the understanding it was in the old changing rooms on the edge of the common by the skate park. but that sounds like the place you are talking about as well....

it's got mosaic-type things on the outside?

re: saf - i went for my birthday the other night, and was really impressed. it's not really that 'raw', but very tasty. they even have a 'cheese' course

personally, i highly recommend the chocolate gateux thing...SO good. it's not cheap, but not actually too dear either, if you were going out for a special occasion. it would be cool if they did a set-price lunch menu or something.

amanda

Thanks for the review Amanda!

sorry it's not more detailed. i must confess to having also indulged in some really rather lovely wine and the finer points are a little blurred

amanda

Do you know roughly how much Saf came to per head, please, amanda, or didn't they show you the bill? Glad you had a nice birthday meal anyway!

oh, hang on...i'm confused. never went to cicero's, but was of the understanding it was in the old changing rooms on the edge of the common by the skate park. but that sounds like the place you are talking about as well....
    Sorry. Having checked, and it seems it was the same place. It must have changed name or owners then as looking back in my Vegan Travel Guide (Published May 1998, mind) it was called "Café on the Common". I thought Cicero's was a pizza place, but apparently that is Eco.

So confusing.

Michael.

ah, i follow it's in my 'vegetarian and organic guide to london' (which i think is 2005) as cicero's. either way, it's definately gone, which is a shame. i think it's a normal boring old cafe now. booo!

eco is still there though...tasty pizza i recall, but a bit expensive.

amanda

Just had my wedding reception at Mildreds - all the carni crew raved about the food. The service was amazing as well. We were really really pleased and will definatly go there again and again and again...

Mmmm the burger was amazing...

Stu

Nice one!

Congrats, Paranoid Jandroid! Good to see the food was good, too.

Glad you and everyone enjoyed Mildreds

Im looking into accomodation for the London vegan festival, and there are no cheap travelodge rooms so far apart from one in Battersea - but that looks harder to get to/from?

Other options are a uni room, at LSE Passfield hall by Euston have stayed there before £33.

Or Kings college London either Great Dover St Southwark £28 student rate or Stamford by Waterloo at £32.50 a night student rate.

Or Easyhotel at Earls court for £35

Anyone know if the Kings college ones are in an ok area as in easy to get back to after a few drinks and near a tube route to the festival?

I might be better waiting til a bit nearer in case of travelodge room sales?

The travelodge rooms might well not be available yet, alison.

Will the student rooms be available in september? I remember that Jo moved into her accommodation the first week of September when we started down here (she was in Great Dover). They are both easily accessible. Great Dover is near borough tube, and stamford street is near Waterloo.

Just had this invite today I cant go but Im sure vegan shopping and free cupcakes might entice a few more local people to this?

Inspired by spirit, beauty and the joy of a compassionate lifestyle - perfect for the discerning and ethically responsible fashionista. These are truly gorgeous Veggie and Vegan Friendly shoes!

This Saturday sees the opening of the Bourgeois Boheme Boutique in London. There will be a vegan buffet (including my mini vegan cupcakes and food by Raw Fairies).

Everyone welcome! Detials on the website, links below!

Bourgeois Boheme: www.bboheme.com
    Raw Fairies: www.rawfairies.com
    Us!: www.thevegancakegirl.co.uk

Quote alisont View Post
    Just had this invite today I cant go but Im sure vegan shopping and free cupcakes might entice a few more local people to this?

Inspired by spirit, beauty and the joy of a compassionate lifestyle - perfect for the discerning and ethically responsible fashionista. These are truly gorgeous Veggie and Vegan Friendly shoes!

This Saturday sees the opening of the Bourgeois Boheme Boutique in London. There will be a vegan buffet (including my mini vegan cupcakes and food by Raw Fairies).

Everyone welcome! Detials on the website, links below!

Bourgeois Boheme: www.bboheme.com
    Raw Fairies: www.rawfairies.com
    Us!: www.thevegancakegirl.co.uk
    Ah Yes, I read about this on Vegan Village a while back but, because we're in Manchester this weekend, I put it to the back of my mind. Don't know why I didn't post it here!

bryzee - i think you can elect to move into halls early, but i don't think i moved in to halls until about sept 18th.

alison - in respect to the KCL halls, i lived in stamford street and they are fine. small rooms, with little 'closet' en suites and a shared kitchen. if you are allowed to use the kitchen, i guess it would be worth the money. it's a fine area, easy to walk home from covent garden etc - little bit further from oxford circus etc, but i walked everywhere when i lived there. lots of walking home from edgware road at four in the morning...

i will say that 32.50 seems a bit steep, but then i guess it's only a bit more than a hostel, where you wouldn't get your own room...

when you say the opening of a boutique...do you mean a real shop??? how exciting if so!

amanda

i just had a closer look - how exciting! looks like i'm off to richmond when my exams finish. i'm desparate from some new summer shoes, but i have weird shaped feet...don't liek buying shoes online.

amanda

bryzee - i think you can elect to move into halls early, but i don't think i moved in to halls until about sept 18th.
    No, Jo had to move in then, cos her course started on the 9th. I think I did too. 6th Sept I believe we moved down here..

Amanda thanks for the info, you can have access to the kitchens if you take your own crocks/cutlery (picnic items are useful then)

Il leave it a bit nearer the time to book in case travelodge do an offer but its rare to get under £49 on a Sat with them now uni digs sound good esp if they have a small ensuite.

Dont know whats planned yet for the weekend but am guessing it will be a meal on the Sat poss 222? and no doubt the Glasshouse after for much drinking and the festival on the Sun so need to work out best locations.

Advantage of LSE by euston is the free left luggage and its 5 mins form the trains, but is £33 and not en suite. But Euston charge £6.50 a bag now

alison - i don't know if this is too far out for you, but the eurohotel on clapham common does double rooms for £45, if you're sharing (£35 for a single). it's close to clapham south tube, whihc is on the northern line, and served by the N155 for nightbuses from aldwych/trafalgar square.

en suite with regards to stamford st (can't speak for gt dover st) is a generous term. it really is the size of a wardrobe, with a loo, and small shower in a kind of 'wet room'. but hey, you have your own shower...better than a hostel

amanda

BlackCats

We tried VitaOrganic yesterday and I was very impressed. It is a raw restaurant but the food was cooked at a certain temperature and it was delicious. I had 3 scoops of mushroom stroganoff, rice and ratatouille which cost £4.50 and it was a good sized plate. I would definitely recommend it.
    I also went to Whole Foods Market and was surprised by how much meat and dairy was sold there as I thought it would be far more veggie friendly.

Stu

VitaOrganic is raw!? I'm sure I've had hot food in there, loads of times...

Yeah they keep the temp of the food below a certain level, preserving enzymes and whatnot.

BlackCats

Is it not raw? I'm not sure what constitutes raw food, I thought it could be heated to a certain temperature but still be raw? Maybe not raw then but certainly healthy anyway. I felt very virtuous and entitled to my Fresh and Wild chocolate cake after.