Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 1

Default Re: Good breakfast in North London?

Greens and Beans by Euston (go out of door by left luggage and walk down Druumond Street)

It does a fab lunch and wonderful smoothies, not managed breccy there but they do porridge - oat, quinoa etc... and lots of vegan bread for toast its very healthy there so no vegan fry up type food!

Is shut at weekends im told.....

Me and my friend are meant to be going to London next weekend might try eat and 2 vege for breccy as we are staying in Marylebone.....

Quote flying plum View Post
    clapham common is closer, but clapham north wouldnt be the end of the world.

amanda
    Thanks, Amanda!
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

Quote alisont View Post
    Greens and Beans by Euston (go out of door by left luggage and walk down Druumond Street)

It does a fab lunch and wonderful smoothies, not managed breccy there but they do porridge - oat, quinoa etc... and lots of vegan bread for toast its very healthy there so no vegan fry up type food!

Is shut at weekends im told.....

Me and my friend are meant to be going to London next weekend might try eat and 2 vege for breccy as we are staying in Marylebone.....
    HappyCow.net indicates Greans and Beans isn't opened on the weekend. I'll go there on Friday and the place at Marylebone on Saturday probably. And then I'll be off to Italy for 6 weeks!

Default Where to buy sheese in London?

Hi, just wondering where i could get Sheese in London? Preferably south or central London.

Thanks.

Default Re: Where to buy sheese in London?

The only place I recall seeing it recently is in the Whole Foods Market in Kensington High St, but you could always write to the manufacturers and ask about stockists.

Ive seen it at the Wholefoods market too, wonder if the health shop up by Kensington park stocks it as they seem cheaper (forgotton name at mo!)

Bute foods do post scheese out if you cant find it?

Stu

I've seen it in Fresh & Wild (the Stoke Newington branch; not sure about the others).

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/freshandwild/

i know that planet organic on torrington place (bloomsbury) has some soy-based 'cheese', but i'm not sure about sheese. was thinking about experiementing with some this week as never have, so i'll have a look and see what brands they have...

amanda

Quote Stu View Post
    I've seen it in Fresh & Wild (the Stoke Newington branch; not sure about the others).

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/freshandwild/
    Cheers. There's one in Clapham!

I don't recall seeing it in the Clapham one, so it might be an idea to ring them first if you'd need to make a special trip there.

Hmm. It wouldn't really be a mission. Plus Clapham Common is nice

Why does hardly anywhere sell Sheese? (the blue style mainly).

Maybe it would just be easyer to order it offline somewhere?

Goodness Direct sell Sheese but unfortunately I don't see the blue one on there - might just be out of stock or something though I suppose.

I'm not that keen on it myself so had better not comment on why it's hard to find but I hope you find some. They don't seem to have a list of stockists on their web site but they do have a list of wholesalers/distributors, so you could contact the local one and ask about stockists:

http://www.buteisland.com/a_suppliers.htm

A little late, but I've had a breakfast at Eat and Veg and would defo again. Really liked the music too.

RebeccaDye

I'm from South London
    If you can get to Lewisham/Blackheath/Greenwich then there are healthfood shops.
    Especially Sheel in Lewisham.
    But I guess you could just get it off the internet which would be easier.

Not too late - it's this coming Friday and Saturday that I'll be scrabbling around in London looking for vegan vittles.

vittles? is this a canadian thing or am I dense?!

Well, it's not only a Canadian thing.... It means food.

Default Re: Vegan London

Has anyone been to that cafe yet? Got a name and opening times?

I have to announce that the best cakes in London are to be had at Fresh and Wild on Brewer Street. Delicious Carrot cake and Passion cake. And Chocolate cake to die for. Knocks spots off Beatroot and Ray's Jazz Cafe.

Vita Organic also have a very nice coconut and pomegranate cakey thing.

I'm disappointed that since Vita Organic moved things around quite a few dishes which used to be warm are now served cold. And about how much the prices have gone up.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

BlackCats

I had the choc and hazelnut cake from Fresh and Wild, twas very nice.

The nicest vegan cake I have had was still the one at the veggie roadshow this year though, coffee and walnut yum!!

I have to try more London places soon.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I'm disappointed that since Vita Organic moved things around quite a few dishes which used to be warm are now served cold. And about how much the prices have gone up.
    the prices have gone up in VitaOrganic?! i couldn't afford to eat there at the old prices!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Mmmm, food. Vittles is a variation on victuals; otherwise, I'm not sure as it's not even listed in the Oxford English Dictionary.

It's pouring rain and freezing here in Toronto - I hope it'll be more pleasant in London when I arrive!

it's freezing here too, although it's been mostly dry. hope you have a good time.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Im hopefully in London this Fri and Sat - no idea where we will end up for breakfast yet if anywhere?

Heading for 222s buffet lunch Fri if we get there in time, poss Mildreds Fri eve

Thats if i get to London not sure yet.....

Eat and 2 veges breccy sounds good

hello london folk. any of you know where I can get vegan candles (specifically tealights) in london? I've seen em online, but i'd rather go get them in person.

cheers.

bryzee, vbb recently informed me that ikea do tea lights and they're most acceptable veganwise..also very cheap

*scootles backwards out of london thread and back oop north*
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

ooh really? I was there yester-frigging-day as well!

p.s. stay in london for a while. it's much better

I love the cakes from Fresh and Wild on Brewer St - got a slice of the passion fruit one, wish id of tried choc too now! It was good Fri to visit Fresh and Wild followed by a int of Sam Smiths cider in the Glasshouse stores

I love the crispy cakes from Beatroot - got one Fri

I went to another nice health shop in Portabello area by the market - under the bridge by Ladbrook grove station - they has that Scheese in, as did fresh and wild and wholefoods market but the portabello one had more selection.

I love London for vegan eating out! went to Beatroot, Mildreds and 222 this weekend

Beatroot is brilliant. I love that place. The little sausage rolls are really nice.

P.S. I found some vegan tealights in co-op today. They were on offer; two packs of thirty for £3. Labelled "no animal ingredients" on the back. So yeah, well chuffed.

Oooooh I love beatroot. For cakes i like the ones at the Foyles bookstore off oxford street, mmmmm.

Do you not like the cakes I make you best of all?

P.S. 400 posts! yaaay!

RebeccaDye

Where are all these places!?
    I live in London, myself, near Greenwich/ Lewisham.
    There's a nice health food shop in Greenwich, in the market place.
    But these places sound better!
    Might have to go on a huge hunt one day...

Beatroot is on Bewick Street by the market - I get lost finding it every time but its so worth a trip the choc cluster cakes are so wow! Smoothies good there too! The sos rolls are wonderful managed 3 Fri!

Mildreds is on Lexington street which is off Brewer street where there is fresh and wild store and the glasshouse pub which sells cheap vegan beer and cider Sam Smiths

222 is harder to find its in West Kensington on North end Road opp the Holiday inn- no 28 bus goes past it.he lunch buffet is great and the eve menu is wonderful but need to book a table.

I just love London for great vegan places to eat and shop

Quote RebeccaDye View Post
    Where are all these places!?
    I live in London, myself, near Greenwich/ Lewisham.
    There's a nice health food shop in Greenwich, in the market place.
    But these places sound better!
    Might have to go on a huge hunt one day...
    A lot of the places are around oxford street/soho kind of area.
    Do you know what I found in Greenwich which was REALLY really nice, there is a milkshake shop, that does vegan milkshakes also, and it does milkshakes in any flavour you could imagine, they have loads of sweets and they blend them to make the milkshake with soya milk and ice cream, they are fantastic. I had an after eight milkshake from there, oh my gosh I am suddenley getting cravings again. Do you know of this place?

And Bryzee, yes your cakes are by far the best ever, esp the hot sweaty wet chocolate cakes, mmmm, but not everyone on this forum can just walk into our flat and sample some of your culinary delights!

RebeccaDye

Oh my god!
    I went there literally 2 days ago!
    It's called "Shake It!"
    (And it's near this wacky shop called Shiva)
    Yeah! They use soya milk and Swedish Glace!
    I'd been going there for a few years, in my vegetarian days, and I almost cried when I found out they do vegan alternatives (well...that's a bit over the top).
    But yeah!
    I had an after eight milkshake as well!
    They're so nice.

And thanks, I'll have to get up to Oxford Street sometime.

My husband and I will be staying in Maida Vale at the beginning of December. Any good and inexpensive food suggestions? We'll have a fridg. in the room.

BlackCats

OMG I have been to Greenwich so many times, why did I not know about these soya milkshakes!!!

Stu

Quote suzieyoga View Post
    My husband and I will be staying in Maida Vale at the beginning of December. Any good and inexpensive food suggestions? We'll have a fridg. in the room.
    Nope! I work in Maida Vale and it is a void.

probably best to pick stuff up in central london and chariot it back to your room, suzieyoga. There are plenty of cafes, restaurants and health food shops in central, so check out www.happycow.com for info.

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    OMG I have been to Greenwich so many times, why did I not know about these soya milkshakes!!!
    they are sooooooooooo good! They're damn expensive (especially with the surcharge for soya *shakes fist*), but worth every penny. I've not been able to replicate them, they were that perfect. Any excuse for a meet-up though.... I'm sure Jo'd be thrilled at the thought of being treated to a shake.

EDIT: I mean 'milk'shake of course...just to clear that up

EDIT2: In no way am I trying to imply that you should buy it for Jo. I meant I should... With Jo's cash.

BlackCats

Ha ha - will Jo's cash buy my soya milkshake too?
    I meet my brother in Greenwich quite often.

I very much doubt our measly student money will buy us more than one to share between the two of us, so it's unlikey you'll get one thrown into the bargain!

Went to Eat And Two Veg for first time the other day because we had an appointment next door and some time to kill. The choice of vegan main meals seemed very sparse and didn't include things which I thought should be vegan. Apart from the starters it was just a burger, 2 salads or 1 curry dish. When I asked if there were any errors I was given a different menu with one or two different dishes on it and more (of the unchanged dishes) marked as vegan. I think the menu had just been changed.

The food was okay - I had Winter Rissoles served with puy lentils, nice but overall dish was a bit dry. They have one red and one white wine option but I didn't try any. The only suitable dessert was Fruit Crumble or ice cream so I wasn't tempted.

The place was very cold and draughty though. I'm not sure I'll bother going back.

And if you are up that way make sure to pop into Rococo Chocolates a few doors along!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Stu

Quote Marrers View Post
    And if you are up that way make sure to pop into Rococo Chocolates a few doors along!
    Sounds interesting! Thanks for the tip, Marrers.

There's one on the Kings Road too, up near Bluebird. I've been addicted to their great dark chocolate fondant creams in flavours like lavender and geranium for years but hadn't been to that branch til recently. The Artisan bars are pretty tasty too.
    http://www.rococochocolates.com/artisan_bars.html

My o/h got me a slice of cake from Heavenly Cakes who were running a stall on Croydon High Street today. Some of you might have seen them in the basement at the Xmas Without Cruelty Fayre recently. Apparently they are based in Sydenham.

Sydenham!!!!!! Wow.

Sydenham ehhhh, how do we find this place? Sydenham isn't far from dulwich at all...

hey!
    this is my first entry. i am sixteen years old and come from austria. this year i am going on a school trip to london for nine days. these nine days we will spend at some host-families. unfortunately i do not know if the family where i will stay is a vegan family (actaually i'm afraid that it's not!).
    so could anyone help me? where can i buy any (cheap) vegan stuff (snacks or anything like that) and where can i find some vegan restaurants or snackbars?
    i will stay in wimbledon. does anybody know some shops there, which sell vegan products? do the supermarkets sell many vegan products? and can i find the vegan-trademark on all of these?

thx and best regards
    -CHRIDUS-

PS: excuse my bad english, i hope it will turn better in the nine days

RebeccaDye

Why don't you take some vegan food with you, such as pasta, crackers, tins and non-perishables then at least you have some supplies!

Supermarkets will also have some vegan basics, and I personally find "Sainsbury's" to be good at labelling vegan items.

As for vegan restaurants, I couldn't say which is closest to Wimbledon though you could find out yourself by researching into the restaurants/cafes listed in this thread:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...2Fcafes+london

You can ask your host-family for help on directions and everything.

Sorry that's the best advice I can give.
    I hope all goes well!!

Becca
    xxx

Hello -

I live quite near Wimbledon although I don't often shop there.

I know that there is a Holland and Barrett in the centre of Wimbledon (in a shopping centre called Centre Court) - they are a chain of health food shops and usually sell some vegan foods. There are also various supermarkets in different parts of Wimbledon (I know there is a Tesco and a Somerfield in the centre); all of them sell nuts and so forth - not sure how good these ones are for vegan-specific foods but you won't starve! There is also a big Sainsbury's supermarket in South Wimbledon which would have a "free from" section (i.e. for people with allergies etc) and they usually do quite a number of vegan foods I think.

As far as I know there aren't any vegetarian restaurants in Wimbledon but there are various Indian and Chinese ones which are often OK for vegans if you can explain what you want (another good reason to work on your English which already seems very good).

Can you get in touch with your host family before you come over and explain to them what sort of thing you eat?