Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 1

Default Re: vegan chinatown eats??

Quote Skajen
    not in china town but there is a VEGAN chinese all u can eat off oxford street *tries to remember where*
    There are a couple. The one I go to is near Tottenham Ct Rd/Old Compton St (I think that's it's name?- the street with a number of gay clubs on it). A fiver for all you can eat.

Default Re: Vegan London

my favourite eateries are the tai chinese chain except for the one in st martins lane which is microwaved as its not cooked on site. i always make a pig of myself at thier buffets, the food is all so nice and theres something like 20 dishes and you want to taste them all.

govinda's do a nice meal and most of the dishes are vegan but its a little more expensive than other places, very nice though. you get dhal, choice of rice, a bean dish and two curries, bread, popadom, chutneys and salad for 6 pounds.

maoz on old compton street flippin rocks, a pitta with salad and falafel and pile as much as you want on from the salad bar for 3 pounds. or you can get chips, falafel and a drink for under a fiver.

vegetarian paradise opposite alara is better than has been reported. i always leave there with a full belly and the staff are really helpful, telling you what is in the dishes, which are vegan and which are not, very tasty not too spicey and i always get my moneys worth, it being a fiver for as much as you can eat.

red veg is tasty but not so wholesome, it is surprisingly like mcdonalds which im not sure is a good or bad thing but most of what they offer can be made as vegan

RIP neals yard bakery

Quote the_marmite_kid
    my favourite eateries are the tai chinese chain except for the one in st martins lane which is microwaved as its not cooked on site.
    Do any of the restuarants cook properly onsite? I was under the impression that it was all supplied centrally and reheated on site. The chain has gotten pretty big in recent years, they're popping up all over zones 1/2 and the food is pretty much identical in each
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Raw food restaurants

Just wondered if anyone had tried a raw food restaurant in Britain? I have read about 2, Little Earth in North London and The Food Clinic in Brighton, but not been to either.

I'm not that worried about some of my food being cooked but these are presumably vegan or vegan-friendly places, and I have read some enthusiastic reviews of Little Earth. It's a bit of a hike from here though (wrong side of the river )

Lilac Hamster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

I know there is another very raw-friendly vegan restaurant in London, called Vita-Organic, I've been there once when they were at Finchley Road, it looks like they have moved to somewhere more central now though. They have raw and non-raw, certainly one worth visiting, I heard London Vegans go there regularly too,
    http://www.vitaorganic.co.uk/

Lesley

Thank you Lesley, that looks an interesting one, and a bit more accessible for me than the other two!

Blueshark

Has anybody been to Manna in Primrose Hill (London)?

Thinking of checking it out - looks quite good but the site is down atm.

It is a 'vegetarian resturant using organic fruits and vegtables'

a friend of mine has been there, but i can't remember whether she said it was good or bad, sorry
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I went to Manna a few years ago with a group of veggies, and the others weren't too impressed - the main problem was that the kitchen or waiting staff couldn't cope with a largeish group so some of us had finished before the others had got their food etc. I quite liked the actual food though, and they have had plenty of time since then to mend their ways

Blueshark

Quote Gorilla
    a friend of mine has been there, but i can't remember whether she said it was good or bad, sorry
    Thanks lol!

Quote Blueshark
    Has anybody been to Manna in Primrose Hill (London)?

Thinking of checking it out - looks quite good but the site is down atm.

It is a 'vegetarian resturant using organic fruits and vegtables'
    i checked with my friend, she said the food's good, but the place itself is a bit snooty and very expensive.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

VeganJohn

Quote Gorilla
    i checked with my friend, she said the food's good, but the place itself is a bit snooty and very expensive.
    The menu looks excellent and it is expensive, but I am sure it will be fine dining, something that I particularly enjoy

Tiggerwoo

Another place to go is Govinda's Vegetarian Restaurant in London, nr Soho. Its run by Hare Krishnas so the majority is vegan (all veggie) and all the deserts are vegan. You can pick up an all you can eat Thali which is really filling for £4.95 and the price drops further after 7pm and there is an excellent choice on the menu.

Mr Flibble or Twinkle- What was that place called in London where we went for the ice-cream after the Christmas without Cruelty Fair? I can't remeber where it was or the name but I wanna go back as it was fab!!!

It was in Neals Yard in Covent Garden. Can't remember the name

Quote Mr Flibble
    It was in Neals Yard in Covent Garden. Can't remember the name
    Thanks hun!

Lilac Hamster

Gertvegan, you seem to know about vegan beers so do you happen to know about Peroni beer, if it is vegan?

It's a beer that is served in Pizza Express, Italian of course.

I'm asking on behalf of my husband. He emailed Peroni quite a while back, he also asked PE themselves but has never been able to get an answer on this.

Not sure if it is because we could not ask in Italian so they did not understand us, but Peroni have never replied and PE were not very helpful either, although always helpful on the food side of things.

Lesley

Sorry, I've never been to a PE before, I should get out more. They also sell it at Riverside Vegetaria, so maybe email them or ask next time you're in there.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and hope you can help me out. My husband and I will be chunneling to London from Paris in December,2006 only for 4 nights. Last year we were in Paris for the same number of nights and found that buying food from the supermarket was our best bet and more satisfying than any of the restaurants. I know that London is far more vegan friendly, so please can you recommend an area to stay (and maybe a nice hotel for less than $300 USD a night) in the same area. Thanks, Suzieyoga

If you're looking to eat out, really staying within striking distance of the centre (zone 1) is your best bet. There's a fairly high concentration of vegan friendly places from fast food to pretentious sit down meal type eating within a few miles. Anywhere on a tube line within zones 1-3 should be fine, although of course some areas are nicer than Brixton, I mean, others.

Lilac Hamster

Have your checked out this page?

http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/stay.htm

I don't know any of the hotels personally but North London seems very well-served for veggie places to stay.

Also:
    http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm

Again North London and central London are very well served as far out as Harrow, and my husband and I also highly recommend a visit to the Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston to the south west of London.

The Vegan London site is an excellent resource and what is more if you contact Julie and Brian, the site owners, nearer the time of your stay they can also tell you if there is anything happening with London Vegans while you are here, in case you want to go and meet some other vegans while you are here.

Lesley

Where to stay depends a bit on your preferences - the transport is (usually) reasonable here so you could stay somewhere further out if you wanted and commute into town.

Some American friends used to stay in this hotel, The Forum in Gloucester Road, which seems to be a Holiday Inn now. The building is not very characterful but it's a convenient location and it still seems to be getting good reviews on Tripadvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

This site is good for giving you an idea of the range or restaurants that there are here:
    http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/

Sadly there isn't a vegan quarter - how convenient that would be - but as Mr Flibble says there are quite a few vegan-friendly places in central London.

Edited to add: ...oops, sorry Lesley, you posted while I was writing. And again to say that the Forum is not a vegan hotel, it's just a hotel.

Lilac Hamster

Great minds think alike eh! I don't think I posted anything that was not mentioned earlier on in the thread anyway!

Lesley

Dear Mr. Fribble, Harpy and Lilac Hamster,
    You guys are great! Yes, of course, I've surfed through many if not all of the UK veg sites.

I'm a bit confused about the zones 1-3 as I don't have a map showing those zones. My friend (not veg) strongly suggested the Mayfair area, but we tend to have different interests.

We want really good access to restaurants or health food stores or markets. We will be using the tube or buses. We hope to get to a few shows and especially want to get to the Old Vic Theatre.

We've never been to England and will only be there for such a short time. All suggestions are welcome.

Again we are taking the eurostar into London and back to Paris.

Quote suzieyoga
    I'm a bit confused about the zones 1-3 as I don't have a map showing those zones. My friend (not veg) strongly suggested the Mayfair area, but we tend to have different interests.
    Is your friend stinking rich by chance? Mayfair is lovely, as is Kensington, but depends on your budget

A zone map can be found on: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tube_map.shtml

You'll want to use tube instead of buses where possible for most journeys. The buses are highly useful when you know London a bit better than first visit, but tube is generally better if you can afford the difference in price.

The best stuff vegan wise (healthfood stores and resturants) is in the centre of zone 1, particularly around Soho/covent garden.

Quote suzieyoga
    We want really good access to restaurants or health food stores or markets. We will be using the tube or buses. We hope to get to a few shows and especially want to get to the Old Vic Theatre.
    The Old Vic is on the same road as the waterloo eurostar station. If you go out to the exit with the elephant statue then the old vic is across the road on your right.

Yes she is stinking rich, but generous to a fault as well and very respectful of my life style choices. So, having said that..... my husband and I only get away like this once a year and we like our creature comforts like really good coffee in the morning. Michael is now addicted to starbucks every afternoon. I'll follow your suggestions for zones and send you a list of hotels for approval.

So you have good coffee in the morning, then starbucks in the afternoon?

There's starbucks all over London, including at the eurostar terminal. Most people hate them thou, even thou they do soy lattes.

OK, Mr F., I admit S Kensington is a posh area but I think the Forum and some of the other hotels round there may be within the budget Suzie mentioned.

It's not that I'm a SW London nationalist or anything, but as well as the ones in Soho etc there are also some vegan-friendly places in this direction - 222 near Earls Court, The Gate in Hammersmith, and (further out) the Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston. I concede the Soho ones are closer together though.

Getting to theatres shouldn't be a problem from any of the places that have been mentioned, but (as in other cities) you would do well to book in advance if there are particular shows you want to see. You can book on-line.

Zone 1 is essentially everything inside the circle line (which should be clearly visible on the Transport For London map). To give you an idea of journey times, S. Kensington is on the edge of zone 1 and it would normally take you less than half an hour to get to say Piccadilly Circus from there by tube. I live on the boundary of zones 2 and 3 and I allow about an hour to get to Piccadilly Circus by tube; less to get to Waterloo (e.g. for the Old Vic) by overground train. There are hotels right in the centre, but my guess is that they would probably be either really expensive or not very nice - might be wrong though.

i know nothing about hotels in London, I've only ever stayed round people's places, stayed out all night or gone home on the last train

I agree that central hotels will most likely be horrific or expensive. There is of course more to London than the Soho/Covent Garden area, and the science museum/history museums are based in Kensington. Kingston is lovely, any place with a Heals is good in my book. Their Green Fair has gone a bit crap in recent years thou.

I got a great deal on a central London hotel before I moved back to London on this site: http://www.londontown.com/

You totally wanna stay central if you're just visiting, central London is pretty small and you can walk most places if you're central.

Fresh and Wild stores are great for good organic food: http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/freshandwild

Maoz falafel is delicious for a late night takeaway snack and quite cheap too for loads of food.

http://www.maoz.nl/

There are loads of good lebanese restaurants on the edgeware road too.

Travelodge or Travel Inn is pretty cheap for a London Hotel.

Lilac Hamster

Gertvegan,
    My husband remembers he did ask at the Riverside and even they did not know about Peroni which was a bit surprising for a proper veggie restaurant.
    Thanks for the suggestion anyway,

Lesley

Ive booked a night at the Kings cross travelodge next month - they are having a £10 and £26 room offer only certain nights and lodges but I got a Fri night on this offer.

Looking foward to trying one of the vegan friendly buffets in Soho area

Alison

In Shopping City in Wood Green it has a market bit and there is a veggie cafe in there. He does lots of nice things and sells things to take away and it's pretty cheap too!

Looked up Maoz on the net. How did I miss this place before? A trip up town is definately in order.

Yeah baby! Moaz rocks my socks off, its sooooo good!

Quote spjessop
    Looked up Maoz on the net. How did I miss this place before? A trip up town is definately in order.
    The one on Brewer street is pretty new. I dunno how much of their stuff is vegan thou? It doesn't say on their website. The only time I've been to one was in Holland, where they've been for years.

Kevster

POGO Cafe looking for volunteers

Pogo Cafe, Hackney, East London, 100% vegan, mostly organic, all volunteer-run workers co-op is urgently looking for dedicated people to volunteer for shifts (front of house, middle kitchen, kitchen assistant, chef) in order to ensure the survival of the cafe. You won't earn cash, but get some merchandise and meet exciting new and really nice people. For more info:

www.pogocafe.co.uk

Stu

Quote LittleMissVegan
    In Shopping City in Wood Green it has a market bit and there is a veggie cafe in there. He does lots of nice things and sells things to take away and it's pretty cheap too!
    That's just near where I live! I know the place you mean. It's just a shame that Wood Green is Hell.

Quote Stu
    That's just near where I live! I know the place you mean. It's just a shame that Wood Green is Hell.
    Yup Stu it's a good little cafe and kinda I stumbled on it by accident!!! And the food must be made for kings cos the bloke who runs it had always got short shorts on!! Should be down that end soon so will be off down again no doubt!

Wood Green is manic!!! Especially nipping to Sainbury's on a saturday dinner time . Not used to it being a townie!!! LOL

Tiggerwoo

Went to Eat And Two Veg yesterday in Marylebone ...... a vegge / vegan modern diner with a carnivore friend and both of us loved it! There is a really good choice and are open from 9am in the morning for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had mezze to start, and a moroccan couscous, chickpea and butternut squash dish for the main course... delicious and their freshly squeezed juice recipes were brilliant.

Kevster

'Vegan Quiz [22nd February] benefit for N & E London Hunt Sabs
    Come down to a Vegan Quiz at our café on Wednesday 22nd of February and Support North and East London Hunt Sabs. Have a meal, show off your knowledge with a chance of top Prizes like a whole Pogo cake or bottle of Caylus wine. £2 per team. Quiz starts 8.30.'

http://www.pogocafe.co.uk/

I got to sample Londons vegan cusine - superb selection, good value too.

Tried one of the chain of Chinese buffets - all vegan for £6 i could try all the foods - the mock meats were really nice (the mock prawns were scary - couldnt bring myself to eat those!) nice selection of chinese fruit teas or juices too and very helpful staff.

I also discovered Beatroot in Berwick street - their choc cake was divine, also tried a crispy cake. Lunch there would be good............

On Sat i had a take out tub from a veggie/vegan place in Notting hill/Portabello road (saw a vege food sign above the market and headed in!) delicious food.

Neils yard seemed expensive just had a juice there but menu looked good, was tempted by the homemade vegan icecreams but at £3.75 i resisted!

Stocked up on take home food in fresh and wild and planet organic.

Good job i walked everywhere the amount i ate!

Alison

For a cheap yet clean and comfy stay in London Travelodge have extended their £26 room offer - I stayed in the Kings Cross Farrington hotel Fri for £26. Good sized room with en suite, you pay extra for breakfast - i never bother always a juice bar to be found in London!

For basic know what your getting hotel rooms travelodge are good!

www.travelodge.co.uk

a didgeridoo

I just popped into the green note café (www.greennote.co.uk) in Camden town, London, on my way home tonight. They do tapas, of which about 12 are vegan or can be done as a vegan option, and all the mains (5 or 6 on the menu) are vegan or can be. I had red tortilla chips with blackened tomato salsa and a nice guacamole, and a salad of baked marinated tofu with crispy veg and a sesame dressing, washed down with some Freedom organic (vegan) lager. Yum! As a bonus, there was a bit of impromptu live jamming too. Celebrating an omni friend’s birthday on Tuesday, reckon I might take her there. Check it out next time you’re in Camden!

I went to Tai (the vegan thai all you can eat buffet, 10 Greek Street- nearest tube Tottenham Court Road) and there are no words to describe how impressed I am!! Really friendly and helpful staff, delicious drinks, amazing food- all for £5 for the buffet, £1.50 for drinks. Prawn crackers!!! Spring rolls, pancakes, seaweed, sauces, dips, rice, noodles, about a dozen 'meat' dishes, some potato dishes. Just amazing! I was willing myself not to get full, it was all so delicious! I had vegetable and fruit juice and my partner had red guava juice, both so refreshing and delicious.
    I will definetly be going back!!

My favourite is Sasa on the other side of the archway (a few doors along from Tai).
    Tai used to be my favourite but then I thought it went downhill a bit - I'm not a huge fan of the mock meat and they stopped doing most of the vegetable dishes. This was maybe a year ago or more so perhaps I should check it out again!

Anyone been to Vita Organics in Soho yet? (Wardour Street on corner of Meard Street)

Quote Marrers
    Anyone been to Vita Organics in Soho yet? (Wardour Street on corner of Meard Street)
    Yup. It was very scrummy. A small place, a little cold because the door was often open with people queuing to get a meal-to-go. It's a buffet that they serve you. You can chose between something like 3, 5 & 7 servings. They even had vegan desserts but they were a bit expensive for me. The food was amazing though, stirfrys, curries, stews, salad... They had loads of cookbooks out that you could have a look at too.

Mmn - sounds like a rival to Beatroot. Must give it a try, the food looked wonderful when I looked in the window.