Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 1

Default Re: Vegan London

Does anyone know if there is anywhere nice to eat in South Kensington? As close to Science Museum are as possible (my sense of direction is just embarrasing!)

I'm going with an omni so can be either vegan place or other places with vegan options?
    "Eating responsibly at McDonald's is like going to a strip club for iced tea."

Tiggerwoo

I used to work at South Kensington Station, and I can't think of anywhere off hand. You'd probably be better off travelling a couple of stops on the tube to Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square where there's loads of stuff. Although there are a few cafe type places that may do something. Will try and find my veggie London book today and see if there is anything listed in ther area.

Quote Tiggerwoo
    I used to work at South Kensington Station, and I can't think of anywhere off hand. You'd probably be better off travelling a couple of stops on the tube to Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square where there's loads of stuff. Although there are a few cafe type places that may do something. Will try and find my veggie London book today and see if there is anything listed in ther area.
    Tube yes I can do the tube not a problem- It's just when I get outside of the tube station that I struggle- Townies eh! LOL

Thanks hun! I've had a quick search on t'internet and couldn't see anything either- I'll try Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square see if I can dig anything up there.

Are you doing lunch or an evening meal?

What about 222 Veggie Vegan? It's equal distance between West Kensington and West Brompton tube (district line) but a 7 minute walk or 2 minute bus ride from each - quite easy to find though. They have a buffet for lunch and nice menu for evening. http://www.222veggievegan.com/

There are places near other tube stations but some depend if day or evening so let us know.

Marrers it will be late tea maybe bout 5 ish as i'm gonna do a bit of sight seeing first- Work up an appetite- Like I need it LOL!

222 open again at 5.30pm I think.

Near Piccadilly Circus you have Fresh and Wild health food shop on Brewers Street. They serve food and have a small seating area. Not sure what time they close, check website. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/freshandwild/ (If you go there you really must get some of those fantastic melt in the mouth truffles that they get exclusively as part of Wholefoods - only £2.99 and heavenly.)

A bit further to walk (and get lost) you have Mildreds http://www.mildreds.co.uk/, Beatroot at 96 Berwick Street.
    Prob nearer to Leicester Sq you have a couple of thai buffet places on Greek Street (Sasa at 6 Greek St is the best IMO) and Vita Organics on corner of Wardour Street and Meard St.

http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm

Thanks Marrers that's fab! Hopefully find my way there

222 Veggie Vegan isn't far away and is meant to be good.

edit: wow I'm slow to respond. That's what I get for browsing in tabs when it's busy at work.

Tiggerwoo

Govindas the Hare Krishna restaurant in Soho is excellent and cheap.
    Also there are some good Thai Buffets in Leicester Square

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Reasonably near to me there is a 100% indian restaurant with tonnes of vegan options PLUS a mostly organic 100% vegetarian restaurant (nearly everything they do is vegan) that sells a veeg chocolate fudge cake and soy ice cream. DROOOL Even when I've eaten to the point where the buttons are popping on my jeans, I still gotta have that cake!

Will you care to tell us what this place is called and where it is located?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Haha, TFY wants to keep them to him/herself so he/she gets all the cake!!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I can't blame him/her for that one. We'll have to explain to him/her that if said restuarant only gets one customer, it won't make enough money to stay in business. So if TFY doesn't tell us where we can get yummy cake his/her supply will dry up .

Mmm, cake.

feral

lol Enchantress that post was like dialogue from Will & Grace!

tabitha

If these things were easy to organise and we all lived nearby, wouldnt it be nice to go to a vegan restaurant for lunch tomorrow and then back to mine for coffee in the afternoon We could sit in the garden and watch the blossom fall from the trees like snow. Im feeling strangely sociable.......it wont last though. I'll be back to my miserable old self tomorrow.

Tiggerwoo

Yay........... We're all off to Tabi's. Be sure to form an orderly queue at her door

Kevster

Happened to be in Londres recently, meeting up with a friend, and as per usual i was spoilt for choice for where to go eat. However, on this occasion i had planned to go along to Vita Organic:

http://www.vitaorganic.co.uk/

You can order certain meals but they have a kind of Vi-tapas (as they call it) where you can choose a small, medium or large plate and have a selection of some very delicious and nutritious looking food. It was lovely, i had some hummous with chick pea sprouts, noodles and mixed sprouts, thai green curry, and other good stuff, and the medium plate was plenty big enough, especially when i needed to leave room for a piece of chocolate cake accompanied by coconut cream.

It's in a town called Kingston (by the riverside).

No one's allowed the cake. It's mine :-D

Also, their tofu masala and cauliflour soup belong to me too!

That vita organic place uses exactly the same font on their menu for the veggie restaurant I mentioned... maybe it's the same folk... (or, a very popular font)?

veggiesosage

Quote TofuFooYung
    Yes, but whats it CALLED goddammit!

Quote TofuFooYung

No one's allowed the cake. It's mine :-D

Also, their tofu masala and cauliflour soup belong to me too!
    WHAT?!
    I had a uni interview there, and was hunting for ages trying to find something remotely vegan- one place did a dodgy roasted veg and houmous baguette.
    Where abouts is it?

Kevster

Sounds like the Riverside Vegetaria:

http://www.happycow.net/europe/engla...don/index.html

I've never been as yet, but my parents reckon it's good.

It's right at the back of the town but by the river. So, find the river from the high street and walk past all those trendy cafes and pubs and keep going until you see the big wooden sign (you have to enter from the front which is on the road).

Or, if you you're in the market, you walk past woollies, take a right down the bottom and follow the road that curves past Wagamamas (where you can also eat!) and it's down the bottom opposite Nandos and Pizza Express.

Veegs and veggie society members get a 10% discount on the bill (which will probably be quite big!)

Found their website- not sure if the menus are up to date! They have a main menu and a chalkboard menu that changes all the time. Staff are a bit miserable though.

I think they should received an award for their vegan banana lassi (Indian milk fruit drink).

http://www.rsveg.plus.com/ It's the Riverside Vegetaria

Wow!!
    Thanks so much both of you for the links!
    I found out this morning that I got into Kingston, so I'll be tracking down this lovely sounding place!!

We are off tonight to dine in London, not sure yet where we are going though! Has anyone tried Mantra, in Dean St, Soho? Or what is the food like at Govindas - I've walked past often but gone in never. Is there likely to be much waiting to get in do you think? we would probably end up there about 7pm. One of my other choices was Peking Palace, because the Veg Britain says they do vegan fish and chips, but it doesn't say anything about that on it's website, and I'm not sure I want to ring up to ask..! I only wanted that, for it's novelty value..!

I do fancy an indian though. I'd love to try thali or dosa.

We are going to one of the buffets tommorrow night with omni friends! Am being spoilt this week.

I haven't been to any of those, but do report back

Lilac Hamster

I know someone who went to the Mantra, she had a bad experience of being offered quorn dishes even after saying she was vegan, and even worse when she pointed out that quorn was not vegan, the waitress, instead of admitting a mistake, made it worse by replying that their other vegan customers eat quorn! Are they like vegetarians who eat chicken? was my friend's response to that.
    The owner has given an assurance that she will make sure staff are in future retrained to understand what is vegan and what is not. So we hope they have improved, and if you go would be very interested in your feedback on the Mantra.

Lesley

Govindas was closed for a special event or something so we went to Mantra. It's down the far end of Dean St, not the Oxford Street end like Red Veg.

We had Platter No.2 for our starter, which had three each of spring rolls, onion bhajias, and something I forgot the name of, but hadn't tried before, which was some sort of mushy peas in batter, in a ball. It came with a choice of dips, and was HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! absoutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they were quite helpful when I said I was vegan, but it was obvious which things were ok, basically anything that didn't say it had yoghurt, cream, or quorn in it. Although I checked on the dips, the mint dip wasn't (raita I imagine), we had sweet & sour, sweet chilli, and coriander and chilli, which was apparently homemade to a secret recipe, and was my most favourite of them all.

Service was great, we had some nice (soft) drinks, although I don't know about the wines being vegan, I don't bother to drink alcohol anymore! I drank pineapple juice, my hubby had coke, we shared some fizzy water.

The only problem was the main course..... great that it came with rice (white - it tastes so weird after getting used to wholegrain!) (or maybe it was just not the best, I really couldn't say, it's been that long since I've had plain white rice!), and chapatis, but the curry we had - I think it was channa masala (chickpeas in a tomato based sauce), and bombay potato (I thought we'd be ok with something we would be familiar with).... they were so HOT!!! Dead spicy, needed a fire extinguisher. I've never had something so spicy in my life. We were a bit full anyway so we just decided to leave it, although when the man came back and we mentioned it, he did say he could suggest something to ofset it (or something like that), but we just got the bill cause we were a bit stuffed anyway (large starters, and all the liquids to put the fire out!). It came to just under £40 - I didn't look at the prices but I know juices can end up being around £3 each and I had two, as well as probably about £3.50 for the water, and the starter was £8. I think the mains were generally around £9 each.

I would DEFINATELY go again, although I would order either several starters (although that's a bit cheating isn't it, and rather fattening..!), or starters and one of the mains that looked more like a lunch course - they had stuff like a veggie club sandwich that had indian stuff in it (it was vegan), and there was a bhaji pitta sandwich, and some other stuff like that.

It turns out we aren't going to do the buffet tonight, as our friends are a bit too busy now for a trip into london, but they said we'll go for my birthday in a few weeks. To be honest, I'm knackered, and glad to eat locally!

I can heartily say to everyone you MUST go the the Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston - it's totally fab and I go there whenever I can! It's especially lovely in the good weather as you can sit outside on the riverbank. If it's cold you can sit inside and look out.

They used to have a second branch in Croydon and I was in there all the time, but sadly it closed down due to lack of trade.

It's now quite a long drive to get there and although I really miss having wine with my meal it is still worth the effort. (My fave is the Garlic Aubergines with broad bean rice and salad.) They have an extensive menu, mostly vegan and loads of organic stuff. The soups are great and you can buy them frozen to take home.

And I wouldn't say the staff are miserable - they are just quiet and unobtrusive, letting you get on with your meal and conversation without interruption!

Weeeeeeeeee I'm excited to try this place!!

Quote Marrers
    I can heartily say to everyone you MUST go the the Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston - it's totally fab and I go there whenever I can! It's especially lovely in the good weather as you can sit outside on the riverbank. If it's cold you can sit inside and look out.
    Have you noticed how many zillion billion swans and geese there are on the riverbank!

A really pretty view!

Talking Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Quote Antonia
    Yup. It (Vita Organics, Wardour Street on corner of Meard Street) was very scrummy. A small place, a little cold because the door was often open with people queuing to get a meal-to-go. It's a buffet that they serve you. You can chose between something like 3, 5 & 7 servings. They even had vegan desserts but they were a bit expensive for me. The food was amazing though, stirfrys, curries, stews, salad... They had loads of cookbooks out that you could have a look at too.
    I finally went there today! Everything is vegan and I was spoilt for choice and wanted to try everything!
    I was very impressed with the 7 dishes I had (for £7.50). The cakes were nice - there were 5 or 6 cakes to choose from.
    It's a lovely place too, not at all busy when I was there at about 5.30pm.

Camerino's is an italian resturant 2 doors down from Joi in Percy Street (London) that I went to last night. It has the same floor space as Joi but slightly more upmarket decor . It's not a vegetarian restaurant by any means, but I spoke to the manager in advance and was very knowledgeable and helpful on the night - I wasn't made to feel like i was being awkard. It's a more traditional italian restaurant than most places with all food freshly made on site and more interesting things than stereotypical/popular amongst english dishes (no pizza!). It's always good to see customers at such places from the country and there were certainly a lot of italians eating there. I was with a party of 9; 1 vegan (me), 1 vegetarian and 7 omnis, but they made a lot of effort and let me choose what I wanted from several options that weren't on the menu. I'm not a wine expert so didn't drink any, but they have plenty of spirits that I know to be vegan. I had a small crostini with mixed veg as antipasti followed by linguini with tomatoes and veg. For main an asparagus risotto and for dessert pineapple sorbet with a ring of baked pineapple and sweet chilli. I was feeling adventurous and glad i tried - the chilli works really well. Both the quality of food and service was excellent; it's certainly one of the best italians I've had and would go back if with other omnis. On my own or with other vegans thou I'd probably go somewhere 100% vegetarian, particularly as there's so many to choose from. It's a nice option to have thou for omnis who insist on going somewhere where they can consume dead things! The music is very low and generally quite quiet, with about 1 member of staff per 4 tables. I'm not sure whether lunchtime is cheaper, but friday night was £30-50 a head exc drinks (I'm not sure how much exactly mine was, if I'd been paying i'd have just gone to Joi ).

Woodys, Apsley Marina, Hemel Hempstead.

I can't believe that there's a vegetarian restaurant in Hemel!! Not a huge choice of vegan options on the menu, but a few. The staff are very friendly and happy to adapt other menu items anyway. Quite cheap too. All organic.

Default Cake in Soho?

I've been trying to find some clues in the other restaurant threads, but haven't yet had much joy (other than Vitaorganic). Basically, I'm looking for somewhere in Soho that serves vegan cakes & is open during the evenings (specifially Fridays) - it doesn't need to be an all-vegan place, just needs to have at least one (preferably yummy!) vegan cake option..any thoughts?

Thanking ye kindly in advance!

Default Re: Cake in Soho?

You may want to try beatroute on berwick street (far south end by somerfield). Not a cake shop as such, but they usually have one or 2 vegan ones and are open most evenings.

VeganJohn

If my memory serves me correctly, the restaurant Mildred's in Soho sold some vegan cakes as desserts, as well as the best vegan cheesecake I've ever tasted. Or were you meaning to take away, e.g. somewhere that sells cakes over the counter, that type of thing?

Beatroot has the best ever vegan choc cake ive tasted and a fab choccy crispy cake thingy I just love that place!

Im visiting London next weekend so will be heading straight to Beatroot, but will see if im by that Mildreds as i love vegan cheesecake.........

I can feel a major munching weekend approaching

Many thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for And having done a bit of digging, anyone else who wants to try out the delectables available at the above can find Beatroot at 92 Berwick St (020 7437 8591) & Mildred's at 45 Lexington St (020 7494 1634) - roll on Friday!

i havent been in there yet but foyles book shop on charing cross road has a coffeeshop on the first floor and it sell vegan cakes, i will have a look one of theses days

they do and are not bad, but are scandelously overpriced

Im in London next Fri/Sat trying to decide which places to eat!

I will be sure to go to Beatroot(for their yummy cake!), but whats the view of Red Vege and 222 Veggie/Vegan in Kensington - does a £5 lunch buffet? Anyone been? food sounds good there

The tai/chinese vegan buffets will be sure to tempt me too - which is the best? Is it one of the Greek Street ones?

Too much choice

Alison

Talking Nigari nightmare

HElloooo!!

Does anybody know where to get nigari in london? I want to make my own tofu and don't want to use calcium sulphate, as it seems to cause kidney stones, and with the amount of tofu that i eat I'm prone to get the Uluru growing in there.

Have a nice day everybodyyy!!!!
    marta

222 is my fav vegan restaurant, the £5 buffet is wicked but the best bit is the desserts. If you go make sure you get there early, i have to admit im usually there twice a week i cant resist the vegan pancakes

Those pancakes sound fab id prob not be there til 1-2pm must check out the buffet times...............

Well back from a short trip to London - Fri had the fab buffet lunch at 222 - excellent buffet choice and of course had to try the pancakes for pud - very nice

Fri dinner I went to the Tai buffet in Greek Street - wish there was somewhere like that by me also managed a slice of choc cake at Beatroot!

Sat I went to Red Vege for a chilli vege burger, then had a slice of carob cake at Fresh n Wild in Camden, took a quinoa salad tub for the train home.

Walked everywhere to burn off all those cals!

Did manage some shopping and sightseeing apart from stuffing my face

Londons def a great place to eat as a vegan!

Off to the Veggies/vegan bbq in Birmingham soon for more yummy food......

http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm - check this out. when I was in london, i really enjoyed a chinese vegan all you can eat restaurant called "JOI VEG", in camden town, around the university. on the other side i hated REDVEG - it was disgusting. the best place, however was of course POGO CAFÉ. soo good.

anyone else go to the animal aid vegan food fayre today?? It was at the american church, on TC Rd right near Planet Organic. It was quite nice really, although we didn't get there till half two and there wasn't much of the free food left!! We managed to fill up though on various different things, got a few freebies, and plenty of into. I got a flyer for the proper London vegan fair in Sept - can't wait!! it says 10am till 10pm! do you think it will go on that long?? I heard it's smaller than the Bristol so I don't think I'd manage to hang around for the 12 hours, however much I'd like

at least I've got time to save up for it!!

Blueshark

I was in Eat & Two Veg over the weekend. It has an american diner feel to it, with seating outside in a very trendy area in London. It is a vegetarian restaurant, with some vegan dishes and some that can be veganised. The food is fusion of many cultures, which is both a hit and a miss.

There could have been more of a dessert selectiotn, with only one dish available as a vegan option. The drinks selection, with many types of tea and Pinkus, a vegan beer was impressive. My dining partner informed me of the horrific truth of regular beers.

I've only been for tea (drink not 'supper') but I thought I'd mention Service-Heart-Joy in Wimbledon in case any of you are down this neck of the woods for the tennis! 191 Hartfield Road, SW19 3TH. Basic, not open late in the evening, so not a place for dinner. Yet. Cafe style. Very yellow building on the corner, you can't miss it!

Edited Autumn '06: this place has shut down due to the property being bought up by developers.
    Vegans go all the way.