Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 1

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Me and Miss. RachelJune dined at the Mantras in Soho, London. Its a small cosy restaurant on Dean Street. The restaurant boasts of a versatile menu. Although the menu lists some traditional Indian dishes, this place is also known for recipies that are a blend of east and west. The dishes are creative and fully vegetarian.

If you are going to Mantras, opt for the basement (non-smoking). The athmosphere is relaxed with decent decors. A perfect setting for a private party or a romantic evening under dim lights. The basement area is not open until 5. But the staff were very cooperative and granted our request to be seated in the basement at 2.30 PM.

So what did we have? Its got to be heavy with Rachel and myself being fond of eating huge portions and that too quickly. For starters it was 2 mixed bhajias platter, 1 set of samosas. The main course was Chappatis, Allo/Palak Curry, Okra Curry, Jeera Rice.

Fully satisfied with service, quality of food and ambience. We have decided to go back again when we are in London.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Default Re: Vegan London

That place looks very nice. I think we'll have to have a meetup there once the evenings get colder.

I think I've been to Mantras too... the starter we must have had some sort of platter or something because there was a selection of things, and it was HEAVENLY!! although the mains blew our heads off they were so spicy and in the end we couldn't eat them (but were full up anyway on the starters) and so wasted a load of money. I would definately go again for the starters though!

*edited to add: Oh I just looked back in this thread and I did a HUGE post after being at Mantra... so, nevermind! lol *

Walked past Mantra today and noticed it for the first time! Had already filled up on tea and cake with coconut cream at VitaOrganic (and had a take away box of their yummy savoury food for later) so didn't go in this time. So many great places to eat in that area aren't there.

we were in London town on Sunday and Monday... started off with a late lunch on Sunday from Chi in St Martins Lane, had dinner at Eat & Two Veg, which was ok, but I always have the burger and I think I might be a little over it. One of the waitresses was nice but the other one serving us was a bit sour. I think I'd rather arrange to travel out to try some of the non-central places now instead of bothering going there again.

Then on Monday, my breakfast was a sos roll and vanilla alpro carton (the little one) from Holland & Barrett down the side of Charing Cross station (we were staying at the thistle), we didn't have enough time to find something proper for b/fast! And by the way, does anyone else find that the vanilla alpro tastes like egg custard???

Anyway, lunch was from a small health food/hot food & sandwiches shop at 11 Warren St, right near Warren St station. Have any of you guys been there? They had quite a few vegan sandwiches, I had a vegan blt, there were also tofu, lentil, and hommus type ones, and some indian style food too, and a little salad bar although I only had a quick look at that and I didn't think it was labeled that well, it was labelled but I don't think the food was in the same order as the list? But there were lots of nice drinks to choose from, and the people running it were really nice. There were just a couple of chairs and tables outside. I'd definately reccomend it if you are up that way and want something other than a hummous sandwich (or than going into a chain coffee shop if you are that way un-inclined!).

Then we walked down to Planet Organic to get a few bits (I always manage to shock myself when I'm at the checkout, how much it all costs!!), then tubed to Covent Garden (it's walkable but my feet were KILLING me!! ), went to lush for a few bits, then was dissapointed the massage people weren't at the market (it was bloody antiques! blahh!!), then went home.

I really want to try Pogo sometime, but I need to work out how to get there - it's near a BR station but where do you go from to get to it?? I couldn't work that out on my mini A-Z!! And one day we'll stay over but somewhere near 222 so we can do the Sunday breakfast there! And I want to try Peking Palace sometime too. And someone mentioned cakes in VitaOrganic!! I thought they only had hardcore healthy stuff??!

wish i could afford to go out for all these meals, havnt even been to the new vegan caf in Bristol yet but am definaetly gonna get there one day soon!!

So many great places to try!
    Mildreds, Mana, Green Note, 222VeggieVegan!
    Vita Organics & Beatroot for cheap and nice but healthy food and fab cakes! You'll have to post ahead of your next trip and we can suggest where to try out next!

Pogo is quite a trek if you aren't up that way - I get a bus from Highbury and Islington tube, takes about 20 minutes. Best to check they are open as I went once and found them closed early! It would be good to go when they have an event on as the atmoshpere is great, if you can be flexible about planning your trip around that!

In my opinion the best of the vegan thai 'eat as much as you like' buffets are Sasa at 6 Greek Street in Soho (a few doors along from Tai - pop in or look through the window and see which one you think you will prefer! I like some vegetable and tofu dishes, some have mainly mock meat so that influences my choice of favourites). Also Tai on the Euston Road has a good selection, that is quite close to Planet Organic.
    Some are very small with limited choices compared to others - which are bigger but not too far off the beaten track!

222 was well worth a visit on my last trip to London - took me a treck on the tube and a walk to find it but its a gem of a place - wonderful food

I tried Red vege - nice burgers but nothing unusual about it! Ive been to 3 of the Tai places the Greek street one, Camden and one off Oxford street somewhere! Will try Sasa next time if they do more tofu dishes.

Beatroot is cool too their choc cake is great, theres somewhere in Portabello market like Beatroot that was good too.

Id love to get to Pogo but have been put off by the distance, and im often on my own.

Think my next trip to London will be 9th Sept, staying Sat ready for the festival Sun so will no doubt visit Beatroot and Tai......

Alison

oh I've always found the thai buffet places really similar... I think we've been to the greek st one (it's probably the one nearest oxford st), st martins lane, and one that was off of Tottenham Court Road near the American church I think.

I thought Red Veg was ok if you were fancying a take-away burger sort of thing... I've only ever had the burger, the fries, and the nuggets though from memory. I would go again if I had a craving for it

Is VitaOrganic really healthy or is it still quite yum? I've been slightly put off going there because it looks a bit ultra healthy/not so tasty..!

We haven't tried Mildreds yet, what sort of food do they do?

And I've heard 222 does french toast as part of the sunday breakfast menu - is it the sweet sort or savoury??? Cause I really miss savoury french toast Well I don't miss the eggy taste because I never liked eggs much but I liked the rest of it. I don't think I'd like it sweet much though. Or if it was like fried bread I wouldn't like that either.

I'm going to London tomorrow, and although I'm sooo tempted to go to the vegan thai buffet on greek street (both my vegetarian friend and I have been a number of times, and love it!) I feel I should try something new!
    Or should I just stick to experimenting once I've moved to London?
    But then I'll be broke then...

ANYWAY!

We're going to Tate Britain, the National Portrait Gallery and Oxford Street.
    Any recommendations near there?

Midreds do a mixture- see the menu, they also have daily specials and serve alcohol. The service is quick, it gets busy and noisy, the tables are a little too close together but is has a nice atmosphere.
    http://www.mildreds.co.uk/

Vita Organic is fab I think, I've moved from the thai buffets to here as my regualr haunt. I find the food very tasty and you can try a scoop of each thing to know what you like next time. I esp love the thai green curry and have a few scoops of that each time!

Troutina as you know you'll be very near Soho where Beatroot, Vita Organics, Mildreds and Red Veg are. Kiran was also saying Mantra on Dean Street was very nice. If you do the thai buffet try a different one for a change! Sasa (my fave) and Tai are a few doors each side of the Bricklayers Arms archway (leading to the side of Foyles & Charing Cross Road).

The ones on St Martins Lane, off Tottenham Court Road (Goodge St end) and in Camden are a bit small compared to the Greek Street ones Jamie. There are a few new ones just off Oxford Street, not sure if you have been to one of those, there is even a small one on Lexington Street, just a few doors up from Mildreds - seem to be springing up all the time! When are they going to spread to Brighton!?!

yeah it's strange where you find them sometimes - off the beaten track! Although I've often seen some poor soul out on the main road with a sign and handing out little leaflets for them. I think there are at least two off TC Rd, one is about halfwayish, near Goodge St and the Odeon, but I saw another on Warren St, which is at the top (or bottom, whichever way you work!) of TC Rd, opposite end of Warren St from the health food/sandwich shop that does lots of vegan things.

I will definately try out the sasa buffet next time we go for one, and probably Vita Organic - is it like a buffet too then??

Quote Jamie
    . . . Vita Organic - is it like a buffet too then??
    It's more like Beatroot where they have the selection behind the glass counter and you tell them what you'd like.

At Vita Organic it is charged per size according to how many scoops you have (I think you can have 3, 5 or 7 scoops but you don't have to have different things - I usually get the 7 scoop plate and have 3 scoops of the curry with 4 other different things). You can take away or eat in, the place has a good atmosphere. You order hot food or salads at the counter by the door and drinks at the cubbyhole at the back. You pay at the cubbyhole after your meal.

There is also a menu of wonderful juices and smoothies, plus cooked to order stuff if you have time to wait (and if the chef is on duty, might be evenings only). Cakes too, served with coconut cream if you eat in.

The food is tasty but healthy because they don't heat anything above a certain temerature, to retain the goodness. I think there is some raw food dishes on the proper menu too. Everything is vegan.

And it describes the food in terms of its Ayurvedic qualities, with a brief explanation of what it all means - I don't follow or know much about that sort of thing but what a bonus for people who do!

I have no connection with the place, I just like it and I wish they would market themselves better! They never seem too busy when I am in there and I don't want them to close down!!

http://www.vitaorganic.co.uk/

Bit off topic, but some of the people over on Vegan fitness forum are organising a london meet up for a meal if anyone is intersted

Quote Troutina
    I'm going to London tomorrow, and although I'm sooo tempted to go to the vegan thai buffet on greek street (both my vegetarian friend and I have been a number of times, and love it!) I feel I should try something new!
    Or should I just stick to experimenting once I've moved to London?
    But then I'll be broke then...
    You're moving to London? Is it for the food? I'd try experimenting, as there so much choice.

ANYWAY!

We're going to Tate Britain, the National Portrait Gallery and Oxford Street.
    Any recommendations near there?
    I usually trek into Soho as I haven't found anything around that way yet. It's not too gar away.

Other than John Lewis there really isn't anything on Oxford Street worth visiting (unless you want tourist tack or to visit stores that are in every highstreet). Soho is within a 2 second walk of the east end of Oxford Street
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Back to Vitaorganic in London, met up with an old housemate from Coventry, very good food as per usual, and great ginger cake to finish!

I can see im going to have to get to Vita Organic on my next visit, I usually go for tai buffet and a trip to Beatroot for the cake! But im sure there will be plenty of cake available on Sunday!

Is there a Tai buffet near to Kensington - i could get a take out tub for the train home!

Alison

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
    Had a bit of a stressful week so didn't manage to check back here, but no doubt will try all these ideas soon!
    I'm moving to Kingston in 5 weeks for university.
    Can't wait to try new places!
    As much as I adore the haven that is Brighton, I know there are loads of places like it in London!

Lilac Hamster

We have some local veggie and vegan meet ups in and around Kingston, one of our regular in our little group is also studying at the University, a mature student there and hoping to start up a veggie and vegan group within the Uni. I'll have to make sure you get invited to everything. We live in Hampton, very near Kingston.

The Riverside Vegetaria in Kingston is the best veggie place in the area and very vegan friendly. There are also some veggie cafes in Richmond, Tide Tables on the river and Hollyhocks on Terrace Gardens very close by, there is another one we have not been to yet.

In Kingston there is a good health food shop called Food for Thought, very close to H&B, and a Lush shop too.

Hope we will see you sometime at one of our meet ups, I will invite you to the local Yahoo group we have too.

Lesley

Are there any good places to get some light lunch in Camden?

Yeah, there's one of those Oriental Vegan buffet places in Camden, come out of the tube and turn left, you can't miss it. It's on the right hand side of the road. There's usually a man with one of those placards standing outside the tube with fliers, pointing you in the right direction! Veg Veg - 6 Kentish Town Road, Camden, London, NW1 9NX. 020 72844004.
    Further into the market side of things, there is a man selling vegan burgers, it's by the fancier stalls and proper shops, up on the left, near the juggling shop. He has vegan mayo and vegan cheese, I think. He's on the little cobblestoned alleyway opposite the Lock and by the Stables markets.
    And there are lots of little places selling noodles and falafels and stuff, but how strictly vegan they are, I don't know.
    There's also a Fresh&Wild store, if you want to buy some snacks - 49 Parkway, London NW1 7PN, 020 74287575.
    Vegans go all the way.

there's always Starbucks, beside the river.
    They do soya late and usually have a vegan sandwich, the usual one, hummus and veg!!

Thanks very much. I'm really looking forward to going now

OK - I am going to London next weekend for my friend's birthday. Going out for dinner on Saturday night and I am considering one of the following:-

Tai (but which branch is best - Old Compton Street, Greek Street or Great Chapel Street?)

Joi

Mildred's

VitaOrganics

Which is the best restaurant for a Saturday night out? Ideally the place would sell vegan desserts and vegan wines too and be cheap (not asking for much, am I?!!)
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I've been to all of those Tai's, and they are all fabulous. The one on Old Compton Street had the edge for me for the fact that all the food was piping hot, whereas the other places aren't quite as hot as I like, and the seating is slightly nicer than the other two (there are actually three on a row on Greek St - I've not quite worked out the logic in that!), though the other two really are great too and I still go there if they are nearest at the time. They don't do desserts though. Mildred's is great for desserts, I love the cheesecake they do. And they do great freshly squeezed juices. Slightly more expensive than the Oriental buffet places. Though you get endless top-ups of green or jasmine tea at the buffet venues. Casual dining though, it's not posh. But I prefer substance over style anyway. They are all inexpensive. Buffet places are the cheapest though. I don't drink so I can't remember what alcohol they have. Am pretty sure Mildred's do wine though. If you are going on a date, I could recommend Eat and Two Veg, near Baker Street. Or The Gate in Hammersmith. Slightly pricier, but very nice.

I've not been to VitaOrganics yet - if you do, you let me know what it's like!

Have fun, and let us know what you thought.

Abi
    Vegans go all the way.

Thanks for replying. It isn't a date - just two mates out for some dinner and drinks. Do any of the places sell vegan wine or have a BYO licence?
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Mildreds do great desserts and have vegan wine and beer. Vita Organics do desserts but don't sell alcohol at all. The thai buffets don't have vegan desserts and only have thai or chinese beer, no wine. If you go there you could always go to Vita Organic or Beatroot (til about 9) for cake afterwards.

Bear in mind you won't be able to book a table for two at any of them.

If you decide on Mildreds don't arrive starving as it gets very busy and you may have to wait up to an hour for a table. You can wait in the crowded 'bar' area at the front - at least you can drink and chat while you wait but there are only a few seats there.

See previous page (page 10, esp my posts numbers 189. 193 & 195) for descriptions of Mildreds, a couple of the buffet places and Vita Organic.

I spent the day in Kingston yesterday looking for a job and finding my way about.
    We found the vegetarian restaurant- it was sooo yum!
    We both had organic falafel with houmous in a pitta bread with salad.
    It was just really simple but so tasty- the best falafel I've had!
    And from looking, most of the menu is vegan, woop!
    Found the health food shop, which I was really happy with- not quite as good as Infinity (Brighton) but together with the Free From section in Waitrose I think I'll get by!!

Just to add to the above posts: Tai (chinese not thai) is the same chain as joi, however I don't believe that the ones on greek street are all the same chain. I've eaten at tai/joi too many times when I used to be in London a lot and the quality varies dependant on time of day - the food generally hottest and freshest at lunchtime and dinnertime not inbetween (goes without saying really). Not all the things you may find in tai/joi are vegan, or vegetarian for that matter. Don't be fooled by the word vegan on the window as you walk away after your meal sucking a complimentary sweet that contains geletin

I believe i've posted about the others in this thread and others.

Quote Troutina View Post
    I spent the day in Kingston yesterday . . . found the vegetarian restaurant- it was sooo yum!
    Ohmygod! I was in the Riverside Vegetaria last night too! 7-8pm - I bet we were there at the same time!

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Not all the things you may find in tai/joi are vegan, or vegetarian for that matter. Don't be fooled by the word vegan on the window as you walk away after your meal sucking a complimentary sweet that contains geletin
    But the main hot food savoury buffet is fine isn't it - it's the extras such as desserts, drinks and sweets that you have to be careful of - right?

I eat in Tai/Joi when in London. The staff have always told me all main buffet food is 100% vegan. I always throw the sweet away after as guessed about it not being vegan/veggie. I always check as well as being vegan im very intollerant to egg and cashew nuts so have to ask!

So are the main meals safe for vegans? should i be avoiding the noodles etc...

The manager did say due to belief no egg/dairy is used?

Am going next weekend so will avoid if not all ok for vegans?

As far as I'm aware the mains are fine. As mentioned the sweets, drinks etc are slightly dodgy. One of them a while ago (one of the ones off TCR around but not nessecarily on godge street) had a drink containing honey on the list.

Thanks for the replies. I never trust sweets to be vegan unless they are from somewhere like the Vegan Store. I will put the suggestions to my friend and see which one she fancies!

We will probably go for Mildred's or Tai/Joi. We are going to see Mary Poppins afterwards (yay!) at the Prince Edward theatre on Old Compton Road, which I gather is in that area anyway, so we may go for an early dinner around 5.30pm which I guess would be a good idea at Mildred's anyway?!

From www.veganvillage.co.uk

New Vegan Restaurant in Brixton!

The Zionly Manna Vegan Rastarant has just opened at 60 Atlantic Road, Brixton, London SW9 (5 mins from the tube). Healthly, delicious, jamaican vegan food.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Ohmygod! I was in the Riverside Vegetaria last night too! 7-8pm - I bet we were there at the same time!
    Thats so weird!
    Except I was there around 4pm, but still, quite spooky!!

Quote gertvegan View Post
    From www.veganvillage.co.uk

New Vegan Restaurant in Brixton!

The Zionly Manna Vegan Rastarant has just opened at 60 Atlantic Road, Brixton, London SW9 (5 mins from the tube). Healthly, delicious, jamaican vegan food.
    Hi there - I mentioned this in another thread a few weeks ago (vegan restaurants UK other!)- it is really good - the guy who runs it was in Brixton Maket for ages but now on Railton Rd so he can open at night.
    Food is great and they are really friendly. They do a takeaway box for £4.00 and all juices etc are freshly made.
    Great as there are no other vegan/veggie places in Brixton now that Brunos closed.

I'll have to head over to Brixton soon

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

went here for lunch today, in finchley, london

its about 90% vegan and soooo good.

http://www.rani.uk.com/

sunday lunchtime all you can eat buffet for £11.90.

i was stuffed

ok we are in London tommorrow, have no idea where we will go to eat (still deciding!), but I do want to go shopping for the elusive vegan stuff... so I want to know, which shop do you guys find has the largest range of vegan stuff and has it in stock? Specifically I'm looking for tofutti sour surpreme, anything chocolate, and chilled/frozen stuff.

Normally we end up at Planet Organic in Torrington Place, and sometimes have a look in Fresh & Wild Soho, and have had a little look at a couple of small places by TC Rd, but have never been able to find sour supreme and not even that much of the vegan stuff (like that vegan organica chocolates)

any help?!

If you haven't already tried the melt in the mouth '365' truffles at Fresh & Wild you have to get some! They have chocolate and expresso and are only £2.99 a box.

They also sometimes sell them at the chocolate shop in euston station, about the same price.

Quote Marrers View Post
    If you haven't already tried the melt in the mouth '365' truffles at Fresh & Wild you have to get some! They have chocolate and expresso and are only £2.99 a box.
    these are yummy yum yum and amzingly good value u gets lots in the box, compared to the other vegan truffles that cost morre and u get about 8 or 9 in the box.
    the chocolate ones are the best i think

I went to 222 today in West Kensington.
    I didn't realise it was buffet during the day, but it was a really nice selection of hot and cold things- amazing coleslaw!
    And its all vegan and 6 pounds each.
    Would love to go in the evening, although the area looked really rough.

Oh dear! I went to at Sasa Thai in Soho (6 Greek Street- one of my favourite thai buffets) with friends last night. I suggested the venue and we had a lovely meal.
    Imagine my horror this afternoon on walking past to find it closed with an emergancy hygiene / health notice taped to the window. Mice infestation was all I registered but there may have been other things on the list.

eeek!!!

More 'squeak' really! Lol!

Went to a falafel cafe today- possibly called Maoz??
    It was lovely!
    I dont know the address but I walked down Charing Cross Road and took a right, then a left...
    OK thats no help at all...!

it does if you were walking south and took a right by the women in white (formally les miserables). Not sure about the left thou, really you just needed to walk directly south-west to get to the start of brewer street. There be a few left/right turns by a few degrees