Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 1

Default Re: Vegan London

Haha well at least someone knew what I was mumbling about!
    The main thing is, I was really hungry, didn't want to go to the Thai Buffet because I'm going there next Friday, and was very happy to find this place!!

Stu

Quote Troutina View Post
    Went to a falafel cafe today- possibly called Maoz??
    Yup, it's Maoz! There are two of them quite close to one-another, and it's yummy.

Has anyone tried the houmous place? (Might be called Houmous Brothers?)

I've walked past it, it seems you order a type of hummus and then something as a side to eat it with. You'd have to ask them about what is vegan though because I didn't think it was obvious just looking at the menu.

That place sounds amazing!!
    Where abouts is it?

Heres the info:

http://www.hbros.co.uk/

I discovered this place by chance - I had a small hummus tub with chick peas and pitta as a snack rather yummy - i told them i was vegan and they told me the hummus is fine, all served in front of you - looked very clean - new serving spoons were used when i said i was vegan!

Thanks for the link, they look so cute!!
    Will deffo try it on one of my wandering-round-London-days!!

I popped in today and they said from the regular menu board (the one on the website) everything without meat in it is suitable for vegans. They also have weekly specials which you have to ask about.

You get their bowl-shaped bread (choice of white or wholemeal) with houmous and topping in a bowl. I didn't eat there but it looked very nice!

Vegan food found at Tate Modern today!!
    I was in the members area cafe but I imagine they all stock the same stuff (though it probably varies from day to day).
    There were 2 wraps, one meal with cous cous and the soup sounded vegan though I didn't get them to double check.
    They also had soya milk.

i was at Tate Modern on Friday! didn't bother to check the cafes though as they looked expensive, and i'd taken my own food with me anyway because i didn't know if i'd be able to buy anything in there. good to know though.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yay for vegan food at art galleries!!
    Though Gorilla's right, as lovely as it is, I don't think I could afford it
    I feel bad not supporting it though!
    Its just that I know there are cheaper nicer places...

Good sperm

Quote alisont View Post
    Heres the info:

http://www.hbros.co.uk/

I discovered this place by chance - I had a small hummus tub with chick peas and pitta as a snack rather yummy - i told them i was vegan and they told me the hummus is fine, all served in front of you - looked very clean - new serving spoons were used when i said i was vegan!
    Just my humble opinion, but I'd rather give Maoz my money. I'm kinda ansty about cross-contamination and even if new spoons were used I'd still worry about who (or what) had been in there previously.
    I also like to support veggie/vegan places where I can if I have the choice because I feel like my money is helping.
    Anyway like I said, just IMHO

The food at Tate was just 'normal' expensive sandwich / salad price, like many coffee shops.
    £2.75-£3 for a wrap and just over a fiver for the huge cous cous based salad and a small soya latte.

Hmm that's not too bad I suppose!

Did you have a go on the slides, Marrers?

When I go to places like the Tate Modern I balance the cost with the free entry.

I was at the tate modern on Saturday (25th Nov). I did the biggest slide and the second biggest. Second biggest is best - faster, thou the biggest does have the awesome height factor

Didn't bother checking the food situation, but i may be back there in a few weeks
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

that's quite a reasonable price for a wrap and as Sam says it's free entry to the gallery. i tried checking their menu online before i went to see if i'd be able to eat anything there, but i couldn't find any info.

i went on the three biggest slides.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

You are brave, Gorilla and Mr Flibble! I would like to go and see the slides but am too much of a wimp to try them out myself.

Back on food, has anyone tried the branch of Tas on Bankside, the one that does "Turkish pizza"? I find the London Bridge and Waterloo branches are quite good at vegan food but I haven't been to that one.

Quote harpy View Post
    Did you have a go on the slides, Marrers?
    Only the small one where you don't have to have tickets. We got tickets for the big ones but on doing the little one twice (to make sure) I found it unpleasant and unenjoyable, though not scary.
    I just thought really it was no different than a water slide at the pool but you don't get the fun of landing in the water. I was expecting there to be some additional element to it - sound or a view or lights or - well, something!
    I hurt my neck slightly on my second go, my friend realised he only wanted to do it to say he had done it and we were going to have to come back later for our slot . . . so we gave our tickets away.

I don't blame you, Marrers! I must go along to watch the other people going down them, though - I think I'd like that.

Actually we did that too, just to confirm our decision - most looked like they'd had an ordeal when they popped out of the bottom, some looked like they'd been dragged through a hedge and quite a few were screaming all the way down (and not in a happy "wheeeee" kind of way!)
    Quite good fun to watch them all though!

Marrers - Do you remember Water Palace?

I do indeed! I'd love to have been in the area when they had either of their two outdoor pools though (one is now a garden centre).

They had outdoor pools?

I think a small part of me has just died

The indoor pools were brilliant and would be great now days what with trying to get kids to be more active.

Default Help ? - Looking for vegan B&B near Waterloo Station London or close to.

Thats it really I got some training to do in London which is 3 days and near Waterloo Station but as its not until early 2007 I have time to find a vegan B&B or similar does anyone know of one please.

Cheers

Jays
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Default Re: Help ? - Looking for vegan B&B near Waterloo Station London or close to.

I'm not sure there is a vegan b&b anywhere - certainly nothing I've heard of.
    A hotel could probably make sure they got vegan stuff in for you but it would be cheaper to stay at a b&b near to somewhere you can get a vegan breakfast (check opening hours if you need to eat early).

Plant in Soho used to do breakfast (closed down now) but nowhere else springs to mind - maybe others will have some ideas for you.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Default Re: Help ? - Looking for vegan B&B near Waterloo Station London or close to.

I'd also look at eating elsewhere. I usually book into a travelodge or similar for this reason.

it's so easy to get vegan sandwiches and ready-made food in london. last time i was there, we lived somewhere near tottenham court road, and we had a planet organic, a tiny health store with something like 15 different vegan choices of food, and the joi veg buffet, a vegan all you can eat-buffet, for £6. i mean, it can't be that hard?

Good sperm

You can get vegan breakfast at Neal's Yard Cafe. Haven't tried it myself yet but gimme time

has anyone stayed at this place?
    http://www.lincoln-house-hotel.co.uk/
    They say on the website that they'll do a vegan breakfast.

I'm thinking of staying there in a few days time. Doesn't look very flash but a decent breakfast in the hotel will be a nice novelty! I found it on the Vegan London site.

Mmm for breakfast you can have grilled vegetables with houmous...
    Just what I always have for breakfast... :/

Do you really think it will be a good vegan breakfast though Jamie? I don't want to put a dampener on it - but tofu and bread or hummus, olive oil and bread?

Hehe - maybe you can show them how to make a good vegan breakfast!

I sometimes have hummus for breakfast. Is it very wrong of me?

I just mean good as in, not a piece of dry toast and a glass of OJ-flavoured squash!

I think veg and tofu sounds nice. I hope the way they list them though, isn't exactly what they mean: they will only let you have grilled veg, OR hommus and bread, OR tofu and bread?? Well I'll find out I suppose, and let you know!

I always have savoury stuff like houmous for breakfast! If you are paying for bed and breakfast it would indeed be nice ot have some breakfast!! Let us know what it is like Jamie. Snaffler was looking for somewhere doing vegan breakfast . . .

yeah I'm not a fan of cereals TBH!

The makers of the much talked-about film of Eric Schlosser's book - FAST FOOD NATION - would like to invite supporters/friends of The Vegetarian Society to an exclusive free screening of the film at The Odeon Leicester Square on Monday 8 January - 6 for 6.30pm start. There will be some celebrities attending too. Simply email Matt Hass at rsvp@tartanfilms.com to arrange tickets.

The Warren Street Health Food Centre at 11 Warren St, London W1, does a great selection of delicious vegan curries , dhals and chillis. It's also very cheap and has huge portions. There's a couple of rickety tables and chairs outside, but, for the most part it's take-away; there's plenty of park benches around the corner in Fitzroy Square (although it's still a little bit too early for alfresco eating).

From www.veganvillage.co.uk

DO YOU WANT TO BE FEATURED IN A DOCUMENTARY?

Filming a documentary about london's multiculturalism. would like to feature a vegan/vegetarian londoner who has an interesting story to tell. please get in touch. mcabitzaatgmail.com replacing at with @.

Default South London Vegans can you help Re:Vegan restaraunt Kastoori?

Hi there,

Have any vegans ventured into Balham/Tooting and found the indian restaraunt Kastoori?

I ate there many years ago and loved the food. 'Mung bean curry' absolutely yummy. A vegan buddy was shown around the kithchen to see how the food was prepared and cooked.
    He was impressed by their work ethic, keeping dairy seperate from vegan and so on.

Hav'nt been there for over a decade since leaving London and would love to know if they are still around and 'kosher'.

cheers!
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 21st, 2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Yes, the Kastoori's still there and run by the same family (or was when I last went there a few months ago). Haven't inspected the kitchen though!

Oh harpy, there is a god.

I am going to visit them soon as then.

Is that area your stomping ground harpy?

Not exactly, but it's not too far away from here (Putney) and I have a friend who lives over there.

There are a few other Indian veggie or veggie-friendly places round there - the Shree Krishna was pretty good last time I went although I'm not sure if they're as scrupulous about separating vegan stuff from the rest (and of course they serve meat in there unfortunately).

I was born and raised in Clapham, 'Saff Londin', I miss it sometimes, especially the muggings.

Now I live in a sunny Kent coastal town, so close to the sea in fact it comes through the door!

Then again I remember seeing cars submerged along the Thames at Putney because their owners did'nt heed the warnings about high tide. I think sometimes you just can't avoid the water.

I like it down here now, so does the dog.

Quote boomshanka View Post
    Then again I remember seeing cars submerged along the Thames at Putney because their owners did'nt heed the warnings about high tide. I think sometimes you just can't avoid the water.
    Yes, they still do that! I would have thought the water was fairly easily avoided in that particular instance

I was born and raised in Clapham, 'Saff Londin', I miss it sometimes, especially the muggings.
    Quote of the year

I'd love to be near the coast again.

Quote vegandrummersam View Post

I'd love to be near the coast again.

I sometimes take living by the coast for granted V.drummersam, then as I'm walking along the beach with the dog I think, this is so civilized, so tranquil.

You must try and get down to the coast at least once a year, take in a big lung full salty ozone and return to the city refreshed.

It will help you escape the muggers.

You must try and get down to the coast at least once a year, take in a big lung full salty ozone and return to the city refreshed.
    I make sure I do. My favourite place is Winchelsea, but I want to explore more of our coast this summer.

Default Vegan Restaurants in London

I'm going to London with 3 friends (one of whom is veggie, the other two omnivorous), on the 13th Feb. Does anyone know of any nice, affordable vegan restaurants there we could go to? Thanks
    ~ Every day is Earth Day!!!! ~