Thread: Reviews of various UK vegan food items

Default Reviews of various UK vegan food items

I've just discovered that "Discovery" (brand) refried beans say "suitable for vegetarian and vegans" on the back. Only says vegetarian on the front, but explicitly vegan on the back.

I bought a tin at Iceland for £1.24. They were quite nice. Very mild in flavour, though with an attractive slight "chili" flavour without the heat. Not that I would have minded a bit more heat.

Sainsburys do a "hot lime and coconut" salad dressing in their "low fat" (3%) 'be good to yourself' salad dressing range. It's got a very strong and distinctive flavour. It's very spicy too. I could imagine people either loving it or hating it, but I think it tastes great. Rather different from a standard vinegarette but I'm enjoying (as I type) it on a snack salad as I type.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Default Re: Reviews of various UK vegan food items

Quote RossClement
    I've just discovered that "Discovery" (brand) refried beans say "suitable for vegetarian and vegans" on the back. Only says vegetarian on the front, but explicitly vegan on the back.

I bought a tin at Iceland for £1.24. They were quite nice. Very mild in flavour, though with an attractive slight "chili" flavour without the heat. Not that I would have minded a bit more heat.

Cheers,

Ross-c
    They are really nice. I dicovered them about 4 weeks ago and i have them in tortilla wraps. They have a strange smell when you open the tin though.

feral

I really like the Vegetarian's choice sausages, it says suitable for vegans on the box. They don't have that strong soy aftertaste which I usually have to disguise with sauce.

Quote puffin
    They are really nice. I dicovered them about 4 weeks ago and i have them in tortilla wraps.
    Mmmm, yes I think they were the ones I had like that too but if I remember, they were very salty.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

has anyone found good ice cream? i've been eating Swedish Glace, but the vanilla is all i can get and it's quite boring by now.

The raspberry is beautiful. Adding chocolate or fruity sauce to the vanilla livens it up a lot. The choc ice on a stick things and the cones are good, too.

I just curried the newly vegan realeat chicken style pieces and they came out lovely
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I like the Tofutti ice creams, though I found the bigger pots in sale in Waitrose some time ago were good, but not as good as some of the 'pots'.

Quote Rob(QG)
    The raspberry is beautiful. Adding chocolate or fruity sauce to the vanilla livens it up a lot. The choc ice on a stick things and the cones are good, too.

I just curried the newly vegan realeat chicken style pieces and they came out lovely
    Realeat Chicken Style Pieces are Vegan? I must try some of these.

Cheers,

Ross-c