Thread: Hungry for breakfast?

Question Hungry for breakfast?

It seems that I'm the only person who is absolutely STARVING when they wake up. I can't function without having my breakfast, not even shower! It seems that most people either don't eat breakfast or force themselves to eat even though they aren't hungry.

Who else is hungry for breakfast?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: Hungry for breakfast?

ME! Though I always have my shower first, then I eat. I went through a phase in high school where I never ate breakfast, and I didn't feel hungry at all after a few days. I guess I just got used to it. But I love breakfast, so I never skip it anymore.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I love breakfast too! Sometimes I might able to shower first but rarely. I love weekends, that way I have more time to actually cook something yummy to eat (mmmm French toast!!).

Weekends are the one time when I can wait ages to eat breakfast. I usually sleep in really late, like till 11:30 . When I get up, I'm glad that I don't have to rush out of my room to have a shower and eat, so I stay in and listen to music and check email. I rarely eat anything until 12:30 or 1:00 .

Quote Tigerlily
    I love breakfast too! Sometimes I might able to shower first but rarely. I love weekends, that way I have more time to actually cook something yummy to eat (mmmm French toast!!).
    Did you have to mention French Toast? It's another hour till lunch for me & I'm drooling all over my keyboard now. I'd LOVE some French toast right now.

Diana
    akaredarcher
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

erm...i'm not hungry for the brekkie. i never have it, eating so early in the morning makes me sick. however, from lunchtime onwards i could eat non-stop
    Piggy

It's so easy! Make it for lunch! Dip some bread in soy milk with a mashed banana and cinnamon. And cook it with some margarine. MMM.

Blueshark

I like breakfast, but actually I like to eat all the time. In fact I may just eat right now.

I am always hungry when I wake up.

Like yoggy, I went in HS without eating breakfast, or sometimes even lunch and was never hungry. But now, I have to eat something.

That being said - I skipped breakfast today! But I can't remember the last time I did that...I brought my breakfast to work, but didn't have time to eat it.

During the week, I get up at 7, and usually fix something and eat a bit at 8 and then take the rest to eat in the car, or when I get to work.

On weekends, I sleep in late too (I usually sleep 12 + hours a night on weekends) and then I get up and make brunch right away. I shower afterwords, sometimes even later in the afteroon. I just don't have time for this on weekdays.

I wasn't big on breakfeast foods as a vegetarian, but as a vegan I am really starting to get into them. I can't eat a lot of sugar in the mornings, so I have never been a big fan of pancakes, french toast, muffins and I am not a donut or pastry person. My homemade vegan pancakes and vegan muffins make me feel a lot better though, as I use little sugar. Also, I never liked eggs, but I am really into tofu scramble.

So, being vegan has made me start to like breakfast foods!

Quote Tigerlily
    It's so easy! Make it for lunch! Dip some bread in soy milk with a mashed banana and cinnamon. And cook it with some margarine. MMM.

Oh my god that sounds good!

May have to make this sunday morning...

that french toast does sound delicious! i must make it some time..not for breakfast though
    Piggy

Quote Tigerlily
    It might have to wait for dinner (French toast for dinner in my family is quite common). I'm at work - there's no cooking facility here (only a microwave & a toaster). I usually make it with blended tofu though. As long as you fry it in oil/margarine it would be yummy though. Might have to try a banana version - is it sweet tasting? I've always thought of French toast as a savoury kind of food...

Diana
    akaredarcher

It is very rare I ever eat breakfast on college days i don't eat till at least 5pm sometimes so i guess i'm a non breakfast non lunch eating person who happens to eat three meals a day in one. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Witchy, that must make it very hard for you to focus well in college! I don't think I would be able to take in a thing my professors said if I was running on empty! And I would be very irritable too, I think. Why don't you ever eat lunch?

I don't really know i try then i feel sick i seem to be only able to eat after about 5 or 6 pm. I can't concentrate with or without food it don't make much difference to me.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

i have only recently started to eat breakfast ( french toast does sound so good) and usually just a fruit-

i have been eating oatmeal, on occasion, and it fills me up but it seems like i get starved for lunch that much sooner, when i eat it. does oatmeal have some strange hunger property that i don't know about, or is it just me?

I have only recently started feeling hungry at breakfast time. Because I have to get up early to go to work (& go to bed early in order to get up in time) I find that if I eat after 8 o'clock I can't sleep because I'm full of all the energy from the food that I ate! So I usually eat dinner at 6.30pm, have a cup of herbal tea (such as camomile) at 8.00pm & go to bed at about 9.30 or 10.00pm. Breakfast is at 6.30am for me. I hate my job so getting up early to go to it is really difficult for me. I usually have muesli with rice/soy milk. If I really feel that I can't face food I have a cup of soy/rice milk & maybe a banana if I can manage it.

Diana
    akaredarcher

Geoff

I can cook porage, make coffee, kick a ball around the yard and feed the dogs all without really waking up, which usually happens an hour or so after I get up. Kinda like a sorta auto pilot thing.

i usually wake up too late to eat breakfast. i LOVE breakfast foods though. i usually dont even eat until my boyfriend gets home from work, then i finish up doing all my stuff i have to do, and then we have dinner together and later on i have snacks. dinner is usually the first meal of the day for me. i probably wouldnt even eat if i lived alone lol. i just dont care to cause im busy cleaning and whatnot. (and soon with school)

sometimes ill get hungry and make myself lunch, and then have dinner with my bf, and then a snack or two. i like these days more as i enjoy cooking for myself and sitting down and eating alone. if i do make lunch, its usually breakfast foods.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I take my breakfast to work and eat it there.

I don't usually feel up to breakfast first thing, but it is definitely good to eat it. It makes me hungry for lunch earlier, which means I eat that at a reasonable time, then I also get hungrier for dinner earlier. Which means I don't eat late at night

Apparently eating breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, so if you are trying to lose weight or keep your weight under control, it is very important to eat something early. That does seem to be my experience, too. Not forgetting that you'll feel more energised.

So there you have it - if you can force yourself to have a bowl of cereal or porridge, some toast, or even just some fresh fruit, you'll feel much better for it
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

It's gotta be a big bowl of luxury fruit and nut musli with extra seeds and fruit and plenty of alpro as soon as I wake up. Couldn't start the day without it. (Sometimes I force myself to get ready for my day first). I have also (quite bizarrely) found that the larger the dinner I have the night before, the more hungry I am in the morning. What's with that?

Quote Tigerlily
    Who else is hungry for breakfast?
    Me! Sometimes it is what motivates me to get up, I have been up at about 6 am some mornings due to waking up and feeling hungry. I also feel very thirsty too. Sometimes I feel nauseous. The first thing I do when I get out of bed is put the kettle on and empty the teapot of tea leaves. I then make a large pot of tea. I leave it to brew while I make the food part of breakfast. Sometimes I have toast with spread, savory or sweet. Sometimes I have fruit, nuts, etc. Sometimes I have made oaty type cakes for breakfast. Sometimes I have cereal (usually co-op malt crunchies), sometimes I have juice with any of these. If I have felt nauseous it always goes away after I have had a few cups of tea.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote Antonia
    It's gotta be a big bowl of luxury fruit and nut musli with extra seeds and fruit and plenty of alpro
    Thats more or less what i have for breakfast but i dont have the nuts and i have flax powder and a weetabix added
    I never used to have breakfast many years ago but i love breakfast and have it everyday now.

Quote akaredarcher
    It might have to wait for dinner (French toast for dinner in my family is quite common). I'm at work - there's no cooking facility here (only a microwave & a toaster). I usually make it with blended tofu though. As long as you fry it in oil/margarine it would be yummy though. Might have to try a banana version - is it sweet tasting? I've always thought of French toast as a savoury kind of food...

Diana
    akaredarcher
    Maybe Australians make a different type of French toast. Here French toast is practically dessert! Fluffy bread smothered with syrup!

Quote Tigerlily
    Maybe Australians make a different type of French toast. Here French toast is practically dessert! Fluffy bread smothered with syrup!
    In my family it's always been a plain thing - no syrup, toppings, or spreads. Pancakes on the other hand...

I did try making the banana French toast this morning for me and my boyfriend. I think maybe I made the batter stuff (soy milk, cinnamon, & banana blended) not thick enough. Less soy milk next time. It tasted banana-ish but wasn't overly sweet. Omni boyfriend enjoyed it too so was definitely a success. Could you bake or grill it instead of pan-frying it?? Anyone got a French toast recipe that involves baking or grilling?

Diana
    akaredarcher

I like good old porrige with golden syrup and so milky soy with a cup of chai or organic black tea.

Sometimes on the weekend my eldest son and I have blueberry pancakes as we are the only one's who like them.

i eat breakfast sometimes, and other times i just don't feel interested in it. i think it depends on how much i ate the night before. however, this is a really easy, super healthy recipe that will be ready for you when you get up in the morning.

overnight maple nut oatmeal

2/3c non-instant rolled oats
    1/8t sea salt
    1 1/3c boiling distilled water
    1 1/3oz unflavored (or unsweetened vanilla) soy or hemp protein powder
    1/4t apple pie spice mix
    1t pure maple extract (in a non-alcohol base)
    1/4t stevia powder or 4 drops liquid
    12 almonds, coarsely chopped

add rolled oats and sea salt to a wide-mouth stainless steel thermos bottle. add boiling water and immediately cover tightly with a lid. allow to sit out on counter overnight.
    in the morning, stir thoroughly with a wide wooden spoon. transfer to a large cereal bowl. add protein powder, spice, flavoring extract, and stevia. stir well to dissolve lumps. top with chopped nuts. serve immediately or quickly transfer to thermos bottle and take to work.

for a variation:

overnight eggnog oatmeal

replace apple pie spice with ground nutmeg
    replace maple extract with vanilla extract
    optional: replace chopped almonds with 1 1/3t almond or walnut oil

follow the same method as above.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

this morning i had a very simple but tasty breakfast:

wholemeal toast with pure marg then fresh ground black pepper and nutritional flakes sprinkled over. savoury and delish!

(with a cup of green tea)

http://www.vegan-food.net/category/breakfast/

for vegan breakfast recipes. Will tempt even those who normally don't eat it.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Sounds yummy, too bad I'm too weak and light headed from hunger to cook breakfast. I normally have something quick, like cereal, instant oatmeal, toast.

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And I used to have just strong coffee and a few fags for breakfast in my pre-vegan days and not eat till lunch! But then these things are appetite suppressants.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Question Re: Hungry for breakfast?

It depends on when I get up.. I can't eat anything if it's early. When I sleep till noon, I get up, scratch my belly and go looking for some grub as the first thing... (I can be so poetic ) Then I realise I'm not Shrek...

I've never tasted French Toast... Anyone got a good recipe, for popping my french-toast-cherry??

sugarmouse

i tend to not eat in the morning..i liek feeling empty..i feeli clog myself up if i eat early!

Quote herbwormwood
    http://www.vegan-food.net/category/breakfast/

for vegan breakfast recipes. Will tempt even those who normally don't eat it.
    Ooo theres gluten free pancake things. lol

See I never like to get bored with food, or get stuck in a rutt, so I tell myself I can have whatever I fancy for brekkie, but then 9/10 times i go for porridge, i'm so obsessed it's almost like comfort food to me. Three heaped tablespoons of oats, in water, with cinammon, or a big spoonful of ground almonds so when cooked it tastes like a marzipanish pie, oh blueberries mixed in is like some sorta super healthy hot friut crumble, mmmm.

I used to LOVE frozen raspberries with thick bio yogurt dolloped all over the top, so the yog freezes and becomes all ice creamified. I've seen you can get vegan yogurts, even big pots, but I'm yet to try them.

Oh and I always have a mug or warm water and lemon juice as warm water is the best thing for your skin first thing in the morning. (Lemon juice just makes it taste nice.)

Quote sosmixchild
    See I never like to get bored with food, or get stuck in a rutt, so I tell myself I can have whatever I fancy for brekkie, but then 9/10 times i go for porridge, i'm so obsessed it's almost like comfort food to me. Three heaped tablespoons of oats, in water, with cinammon, or a big spoonful of ground almonds so when cooked it tastes like a marzipanish pie, oh blueberries mixed in is like some sorta super healthy hot friut crumble, mmmm.

I used to LOVE frozen raspberries with thick bio yogurt dolloped all over the top, so the yog freezes and becomes all ice creamified. I've seen you can get vegan yogurts, even big pots, but I'm yet to try them.

Oh and I always have a mug or warm water and lemon juice as warm water is the best thing for your skin first thing in the morning. (Lemon juice just makes it taste nice.)
    I have a similar breaky every day. I like porridge as it has both protein and fibre and sometimes I struggle to get enough protein.

tabitha

Me too! always porridge with blitzed up nuts and seeds, bananas and raisins on top and a mug of redbush tea.

Quote sosmixchild

I quite enjoy a tub of soy yogurt as a snack (is even yummier with crushed nuts/seeds mixed through it too). Today I had blueberry soy yogurt - yum!

I also like to drink hot water with lemon juice...at any time of the day! I like to have it after dinner because it won't keep me awake late (I'm quite sensitive to caffeine). Lime juice makes a nice change too. It's very cleansing.

Diana
    akaredarcher