Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Bristol

Default Re: Vegan Bristol

Yay - thanks Squigaletta - good for you!
    Are you a member of the Bristol Vegans facebook group?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...id=49939190436

Cool! I didn't know that group existed, I am now

Quote squigaletta View Post
    The Lansdown pub in Clifton now has vegan cakes, truffles, and mains
    I didn't know that!
    I shall definately go along to check it out as it's only five minutes from my flat which is great as otherwise the nearest vegan hotspot is in Stoke's Croft, not that far I know, but not exactly round the corner, kool, thankx for the info
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Quote rianaelf View Post
    I didn't know that!
    I shall definately go along to check it out as it's only five minutes from my flat which is great as otherwise the nearest vegan hotspot is in Stoke's Croft, not that far I know, but not exactly round the corner, kool, thankx for the info
    not quite a hotspot yet but I am working on it

not quite a hotspot yet but I am working on it
    do you work there?
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

yep

Aha!

When is the best time of day for food?

In the week service starts at 6.30, so come in for dinner, on saturday and sunday there is a lunch time service, but veggie burgers will only be on the menu as of Weds .

Peter singer is giving a public lecture in Bristol on the 2nd of April, I am in Malaysia :'(

In the week service starts at 6.30, so come in for dinner, on saturday and sunday there is a lunch time service, but veggie burgers will only be on the menu as of Weds .
    Kool thankyou!
    Are they veggie or vegan burgers and who is Peter Singer? he must be quite something if you'd rather see him than be in Malasia

In Animal Liberation, Singer argues against what he calls speciesism: discrimination on the grounds that a being belongs to a certain species. He holds the interests of all beings capable of suffering to be worthy of equal consideration, and that giving lesser consideration to beings based on their having wings or fur is no more justified than discrimination based on skin color. He argues that animals should have rights based on their ability to feel pain more than their intelligence.
    from wiki; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Singer
    The lecture is on animal liberation I think and it should be a controversial talk if nothing else. I think I would rather be in malaysia...but it as a close call!!!!

The veggie burgers, as is 'med veg salad' an the falafels are now suitable for vegans but they all come with sour cream/mayo so you would need to specify no dairy.

I just changed the med veg tonight, it used to be made with honey but no longer

Next Bristol Vegans meet -up confirmed for 26th February at The Lansdown pub, Clifton, Bristol
    http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-b...ts:Bristol:167

Social meet up type thing - come and have a drink or some of the lovely food that Squigaletta has got onto the menu. - I don't know which of the drinks are vegan Squig?

7pm - 11pm

All welcome. x

I don't drink at the bar that much I'm afraid so I couldn't advise you as to what wines are vegan, but there is a wide range of spirits, wines and beers, so I will try to find out tonight which are suitable.

Ah Wicked, i'm looking forward to that

Had a lovely time at the Landsdown last night. Squigaletta has added some great vegan options to the menu. The chucky chips and truffles were especially impressive.

The Bristol Vegans group will be meeting there again for the next two months on:
    Thursday 26th March
    Thursday 25th April

You are welcome to join us.

You can contact the group via the email link here:
    http://www.bristol.vegangroup.co.uk/articles/307.html

Or join the facebook group as above, or PM me.

I don't soppose there's anyone going to the Brighton Vegan Fayre that's got room for two people (me and my son)
    Am happy to pay our share of the petrol and oh well, it's worth asking

In case anyone is in need of cheaper train tickets and would use First Great Western to get to the festival:

If anyone needs tickets via First great western then there is a promo code for £5 off a ticket.

http://www.fgw5pounds.co.uk/

Might be worth a look - I thought I was into costs like £21 each way via Birmingham but if I go via Worcester they have just released tickets for £6.95 each way!!

Less crowded route too.

Sorry meant to put that in the festivals bit (was getting confused with the Bristol threads)

Glittermonkey

Smile Re: Vegan Bristol Excalibur dehydrator!

Hey people! i am new on here so i apologise if this is the wrong place! (nice to find some likeminded people! )
    I wanted to provid some help to anyone who is a raw vegan (or just wanted a dehydrator!)
    It is new, comes in box, with added teflex sheets and recipee book!
    For more info please email me! crystallace08@gmail.com
    ( i am selling this item, but WAAAAAAAAAY cheaper than buying a new one from a shop! i am just not using it enough...i will say bashfully i only made use of it once! ) being a student who had to save up a long time for this machine, i would really love to give this to someone who may not otherwise afford one!Not to mention to help someone make vegan life easier and encourage them )
    And its really nice to have found this group!
    Love and Sparkly things!

Hi Glittermonkey. I would advise against putting your email address on a public forum(unless its one created just for this purpose?).
    We have a Bristol Vegans meet up at the Lansdown again next Thursday. Feel welcome to come along and see us. You may find a buyer.

Glittermonkey

thank you for the advise! yea, it is not my main email, its for online stuff like that!
    I would LOVE to come and meet everyone! could you please tell me what time it is? or where i can find out more?

http://www.britishpubguide.com/cgi-b...ts:Bristol:167

Link to the location is above. Its upstairs at the pub - vegan food is available. People usually start arriving from about 7pm.

Re the meet up tomorrow. It seems that the room upstairs has been booked out to the canoe club so we won't be able to use it.
    Im still planning on going at about 6.30/7pm, but not sure what will happen. We may be able to fit into the pub space downstairs and/ or gardeny bit.

I hope the meet-up went ok cookey, had to bail I was falling asleep on my feet yesterday!

I hear you are helping with the Fayre again this year, that's wicked should be even better than last years one with a bit o sunshine!

Glittermonkey

i had such an awesome time, thankyou everyone for being so lovely!

i was just thinking to myself 'where the hell is the lansdown?' then i realised i went in there the other week before a gig at the anson rooms. my friend and i sat in the garden outside, it was really nice. didnt get a chance to check out the menu though unfortunately.
    i work in the king william, near the old duke and renatos. we have a few things on the menu that are suitable for vegans, but no main meals, which is a shame. every beer on tap but one of the bitters is vegan. its a samuel smiths pub, so theres loads of info on the internet about the brewery.
    god i havent been on this forum in ages, i never even realised there was a bristol section. im so neglectful!

puca

I was talking to a mate of mine recently, regarding going down to Bristol to chill out together (he's in Torbay)...

He said there's a lot of veggies and environmentally conscious people in that city and that it's pretty friendly and laid back.

Is it quite a cheap city to go out in?

Know of any affordable hostels? The more veg friendly the better.

Ta

Apparently there is a newish chinese place in the galleries of all places, that is mostly vegan. Haven't been yet though. See http://www.ricethemall.co.uk

And a new juice bar thing called cafe salota, at the end of the arcade, opposite primark, that apparently does paninis etc with cheezly and frys products.

Thanks Gert - thats vey near where I work so might check it out.
    Puca - I think I put some links for cheap places to stay on the meet up thread for this years Bristol Fayre - I know Bradders stayed somewhere cheap. There is a YHA in central Bristol and I think Bradders stayed at a backpackers?

Quote gertvegan View Post
    Apparently there is a newish chinese place in the galleries of all places, that is mostly vegan. Haven't been yet though. See http://www.ricethemall.co.uk

Just been to this place for lunch and had the not chicken thing with rice and not prawn crackers. It's impressive as it's in a shopping mall and has labelled which dishes are vegan. It's also good that it's right next to Burger King!
    The food itself was good especially as it doesn't have msg. But it did seem to be very salty and sugary, so I'd advise having a drink after!

Went to Rice in the (Galleries!) Mall last Sat. The food was great, tasted fantastic, vegan prawn crackers were amazing. But Burger king next to it had the huge queues, and the counter for this place was deserted. The few people I saw wandering up looked at the vegetarian/vegan sign and sneered and walked off, even though there are clearly marked real meat options next to it. So I ended up sat there tucking into delicious curry, while looking around at the enormous waist sizes of most of the hordes stuffing burgers. Might have helped though if there had been someone visible at the till to serve people.

I would urge any vegans in the area to support the place, 'cause going on what I saw on Sat it won't be around long.

I think they've been going for 6 - 12 months already and the sheer volume of people past that place means that even if they only get a small percentage of them they do alright.
    Having said that, the food is yummy and they do take away as well so if you work nearby you can take it back to eat at you desk so I will carry on supporting them. We could always have a group meet up there to make people aware.

Does Rice (or the place next door which appears to be owned by the same people) sell meat dishes as well?

yes, they kind of have 2 sections, vegan/vegetarian on the left, and meaty on the right. Not sure if that was always the case or maybe they had to widen the market? I think the place next door, Noodles, does seem to be linked although I didn't spot any obvious vegan signs on that one.

I didn't know they do take away, I might make the trek down there on a lunchtime then!

We went there 2 Sundays ago, attracted by the crispy duck. However, the left side had a full counter of what looked like meat dishes and the right had just 2 vegan dishes, lamb or chicken noodles (I think). They, along with the dining area (I somehow got the impression it was a restaurant rather than part of a food court), didn't look very appealing.

We ended up going to Tampopo which had the added bonus of offering 4 vegan desserts, I had the sticky black rice pudding which was weird yet nice.

A bit late to mention this but "climate camp for action" is meeting in Bristol this weekend [now].
    They claim to be providing vegan food amongst their other activities. There was a suggested donation notice for £5 per day.

http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/get-in...atherings/next
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Peter Singer is in town on May 5th for a talk etc.

http://www.ideasfestival.co.uk/?p=390

And an 'Inner lives of animals' talk on March 30th,

http://www.ideasfestival.co.uk/?p=404

Quote gertvegan View Post
    And a new juice bar thing called cafe salota, at the end of the arcade, opposite primark, that apparently does paninis etc with cheezly and frys products.
    This place is no more.

Quote fatvegan View Post
    We went there 2 Sundays ago, attracted by the crispy duck. However, the left side had a full counter of what looked like meat dishes and the right had just 2 vegan dishes, lamb or chicken noodles (I think). They, along with the dining area (I somehow got the impression it was a restaurant rather than part of a food court), didn't look very appealing.

We ended up going to Tampopo which had the added bonus of offering 4 vegan desserts, I had the sticky black rice pudding which was weird yet nice.
    I've had takeaway lunch from here twice now and it was absolutely amazing! Thanks for letting us know FV.

Just a reminder that there is a Bristol Vegan's meet up on the last Thursday of every month at the Landsdown pub in Clifton.
    In addition - we will also be having a pot luck at one of the Bristol Vegan's house on 30th April.
    Check out the Facebook group or PM me for further details.

Quote cookey View Post
    This place is no more.
    No, but Wongs is not a bad restaurant, with quite nice people running it.

The great vegan festival returns to Bristol in 2011.

Further details can be found here:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...921#post664921
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Cafe Kino has closed

And moved over the road. See here for more info n pics.

cobweb

blimey, its gertvegan!. Where have you been?.

I'm planning on organising a "Single Mingle" event at the lovely Cafe Kino. If anyone's interested in helping/ coming etc then let me know. I'll post here when I have a date.

I lived in Bristol for a few years and visited the Bristol vegan fayre twice and I can recommend it to everyone! You can easily spend an entire afternoon there. I do have to say that I ate so much there on both occasions that I was hardly able to stand up, I wouldn't recommend that bit, but great fun!

Quote khadagan View Post
    I do have to say that I ate so much there on both occasions that I was hardly able to stand up, I wouldn't recommend that bit, but great fun!
    Isn't that the point?? :-D I also eat myself stupid at BVF, always.

Quote cookey View Post
    I'm planning on organising a "Single Mingle" event at the lovely Cafe Kino. If anyone's interested in helping/ coming etc then let me know. I'll post here when I have a date.
    Yes!! Don't suppose it could coincide with the fayre at all?
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.