Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Bristol

Default Re: Vegan Bristol

[QUOTE=Gwydion;680146]Isn't that the point?? :-D I also eat myself stupid at BVF, always.

Haha, yes I guess it can be! Well in that case I recommend for everyone to go there and eat until you can't stand up anymore!

I went to the fayre with my partner at the time. He regretted having breakfast, he said then that next time he would fast the day before so he could eat even more! Hehe, He didn't quite do that, but the year after I only had a light breakfast (and he skipped) so we'd be more prepared!

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Yes!! Don't suppose it could coincide with the fayre at all?
    Well then a lot of potential attendees would probably be at that instead?
    I'm just waiting to see what availablilty Kino have so will be able to get back with info then. It should be a Friday eve if that makes it easier? At least you could then stay over for the Friday night. Sorry it's so far away but if it goes well I am happy to share organisational tips so you can do something nearer to you?

Anyone know of anywhere in Bristol that does a vegan Sunday roast?

Can anyone recommend a decent curry house in Bristol? Got my stag do there next weekend and could do with booking somewhere up. Had a search online, but not really seeing much in the way of reviews or anything.

I went somewhere after BVF a few years back, but can't for the life of me remember where it was. I remember drinking large Cobras, but that's it...
    I like football. And potatoes.

Obviously too late for the stag do, sorry, but I reckon you probably went to Krishna Inn after the fayre, at the top of Park Street, or just over the brow, on the left, and is recommended. They have large Cobra beer along with King Cobra which I dare anyone to try if you haven't already.

Though not Indian, I would have also recommended the Chinese called Wongs, just up the side street by the Hippodrome theatre on 'the centre'. Nice people and a decent choice.

Where did you end up for food and drinks etc?

Hi all just wondered if anyone can recommend a nice restaurant in Bristol that caters for vegans and omni's? Thanks!

Kayjay - I'd recommend Tampopo in Cabot circus which offers vegan choices on the menu for both savoury and sweet.

On a slightly seperate subject - I got a massive jacket spud and beans at the newly refurbished Easton Community Centre cafe for only £2.40 today. They don't have much in the way of vegan choices and they asked me for some vegan cake recipes so I printed them out the Vegan Catering guide which has recipes at the back. Watch that space!

Awesome thanks cookey I'll have to try that out!

I was going to start a new thread, but since I just wanted an updated version of this one, I thought I'd just add to this...

I'm contemplating moving to Bristol in the next couple of months, mainly to start a vegan food van business. I've been living in York for a while and it's really hard to think about leaving because I love it here, but various people have suggested Bristol as being a much more suitable location for what I want. Can anybody here vouch for that or does anybody have any experience of the Bristol vegan... scene?

My parents are going to be moving to Stroud, which is quite close by (compared to York!) and they're both interested in helping me get started as they're currently travelling and have no work commitments, so that's another reason for moving "down South".

I don't know the place at all and obviously I'll be moving there on my own and starting my own business, so meeting people through work isn't really an option. Would anyone be open to meeting up or is there a group of you who meet regularly in or around Bristol?

Any other opinions from a vegan point of view would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am from Devon and have visited Bristol quite a few times in the past few months, although i didn't make it to the veganfest this weekend just gone (why didn't i book the time off work!?).

Bristol from what i've seen is vegan friendly, there is the ARC Centre and Cafe Kino which are vegan cafes/restaurants and i've been in both, although i didn't eat in the ARC but a friend told me it was all vegan when i met them there. Cafe Kino is in quite a diverse area called Stokes Croft which seems to welcome individuality and i am sure your plans of a vegan food van business could do well in Bristol and in nearby areas.

Bristol itself has a few nice spots of green, a harbour/river to walk near and some splendid architecture too, i've enjoyed all my visits there.

So i would say that Bristol could be a good move for you Louise if it happens, if you want to know anything else just let me know by replying here or a PM, as said i'm not a regular in Bristol but i know it well from a good amount of recent visits and have walked around most of it.

Thank you. That's really nice to hear! I'm going to look into Stokes Croft as a place to live, I think, too. Cheers for replying.

Going to have a look through this thread. I used to live in Bath (many years ago!) and my partner and I are taking a holiday that way in July. Will be staying in the Travelodge in Bristol. I remember both places being pretty darned good for vegans.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote gertvegan View Post
    I would have also recommended the Chinese called Wongs, just up the side street by the Hippodrome theatre on 'the centre'. Nice people and a decent choice.
    Not any more for sure. It has changed hands and is to be avoided imo. I had to explain the vegan thing and wasn't over confident of the understanding after three different people came to the table to clarify. The food that did arrive was ok but not worth revisiting and was overpriced too. There is no longer a menu in english outside like before and have heard that chinese folk get a better deal than others.

Hi Louise

Bristol is quite a foodie, festival, fayre type place. I've been out of the vegan loop for a while but I'd like to think your idea would work. There used to a great little van that did the festivals and a vegan fayre called tea and toast and the falafel king which still has a van by the harbourside and now has a cafe too.
    Yaoh, Viva, Essential Trading Cooperative, Bristol Animal Rights, Sustrans, Soil Association, amongst others are here who may be able to help further as I've been out of the vegan loop, and there are a few groups, one of which you can be contacted via the vegan bristol website and excellart. One of the group is from Stroud and still has family there.

I'm surprised you haven't had more replies.

Oh and as much as I like Stokes Croft, I probably wouldn't want to live there. Maybe look into St Werburghs, Bishopston, Cotham, possibly Southville.

G

There is a Veganism Made Easy event happening on 18th June for anyone interested.

More info on the bristolanimalrights.org.uk site.

Back to the chinese restaurant, I should have added that the people that used to run Wongs now run Friends Chinese Restaurant on small street, near the graffiti street. The menu looks the same and beanies (frys uk) and others ate there after vegfest recently. No website yet though.

Pusskins, I recommend Krishna Inn, Friends Chinese restaurant, Cafe Kino for cake, and the King William Sam Smiths pub in Bristol, and Demuths and Yak Yeti Yak in Bath.

If anyone is in town on Thursday, there is a Bristol Vegans meet up at Pepe nero on Bond Street where there is a choice of at least half a dozen different pizzas.

Pusskins, I recommend Krishna Inn, Friends Chinese restaurant, Cafe Kino for cake, and the King William Sam Smiths pub in Bristol, and Demuths and Yak Yeti Yak in Bath.
    That's great - thank you, gertvegan. I remember Demuths from when I lived in Bath. Good it's still going! Cafe Kino for cake... That will be my mantra until we get there!

Thanks a lot, gertvegan. Yeah I wasn't keen on Stokes Croft after Googling it. :P Thanks for the other suggestions.

I think that's a really good idea Louise - I have been to Bristol quite a few times (though admittedly not that recently) and have the impression that there is a fairly strong vegan "vibe" there - gertvegan knows much more about it than I do though.

Not sure how active this group is http://www.bristol.vegangroup.co.uk/index.html - maybe you could also try the local contacts on here http://www.vegansociety.com/about/local-contacts.aspx

Quote harpy View Post
    Not sure how active this group is http://www.bristol.vegangroup.co.uk/index.html
    Had a quick look at this. It's quite a clunky website, but I shall give it a go.

I've had a look for the websites for the places you mentioned, gertvegan. Fab. Love the look of Cafe Kino!

My partner and I will be heading off to Bristol in about a week. Limited of funds, so please could you possibly list as many places you know of for vegan food that are cheap-ish? Off the shelf or takeaway or eating in? Sorry to sound so demanding, but I have been 'asked' so we can 'organize'

Pusskins

I’m not sure if the website is really updated or maintained anymore. It did work quite well originally.

Anyways, the glass arcade in St Nicolas Market is a good place to start ( http://www.stnicholasmarketbristol.co.uk ). Here you’ll find Big Banana juice bar, Royce Rolls, Spice Up Your Life, and Eat A Pitta for takeaways. There is also Caribbean Wrap which may have something, as well as The Real Olive Co. There is also what used to be called Al Medina, maybe called Bab Mansour now, a Moroccan cafe next to the juice bar which is quite cheap and tasty and should have a few options to eat whilst watching the market crowd whizz by.

Not far from the market is the Arc Bar, I’ve only been in for the cake bake sale, and it doesn’t always appear to be open. Off topic, but do check out the graffiti along Nelson Street near the Arc Bar. Also on ‘the centre’ near the water fountains n shit is Falafel King food cart thing and opposite is the Watershed cafe to eat in (and cinema) where you should find a few choices that are or can be vegan. My Burrito also on the centre may also fill a hole too. Friends Chinese restaurant already mentioned could be an meal out as well.

You’ll find a host of places going up Park Street, including another burrito place and, not sure how vegan friendly though apart from Boston Tea Party. If the weather is ok, grab something to eat and head up to Brandon Hill near Park Street. Just over the top of Park Street is Krishna Inn for a meal out. Also Wagamama too.

Tiffins ( http://www.tiffins-bristol.com ) is a really good takeaway or one table eat in if room, but is a little out the way and up a very steep hill, but probably worth it, check the map.

Back down into Broadmead (same chain shopping kinda place) you’ll find Holland and Barrett if you really have to (better health food shops are available but are a short bus trip) and Shakeaway is in the arcade. Broadmead leads into Cabot Circus (even more same chain shops hell) where you’ll find a few chain restaurants that could accommodate, Yo Sushi etc. But on Bond Street near the back of Debenhams is Pepe Nero where you’ll have the choice of 6 or more different vegan pizzas and worth stopping by.

You’ve probably checked them out already but http://www.happycow.net/europe/england/bristol/ and http://www.veggieplaces.co.uk/vegeta...ristol_gb.html will help with locations.

Saying all that, I bet you go to Cafe Kino several times. Or maybe One Stop Thali in Montpelier.

Hopefully others can help with info as well.

Hope that helps and you have a good trip.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, gertvegan That's really good of you. We're going to have such a fun time! We can't wait

Cafe-kino-for-cake...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand why my images still are so big when I change their size, and I also changed their orientation, before I do any posting... It's made me really annoyed... It all looks perfect when I cut and paste into a Word document...
    Last edited by pusskins; Jul 8th, 2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: NOTHING is working. I'm frustrated.

OK, back from Bristol and everywhere else! We went to many places and ate much vegan food. I didn't take pics of everything we ate, but here is a 'taster' Thank you again so much for the recommendations, gertvegan. LOVED Royce Rolls! Chocolate cake was lush!

Anyway, here are food pics...

Sat having falafel from... Falafel King:

Having Chinese food (gorgeous mushrooms! My other half dislikes all mushrooms, save from bog-standard closed cup, so I took advantage of the mushroom dish!) at Friends:

Fresh n Tasty Bites in Weston-super-Mare. SO friendly. Small cafe but fabulous menu choice for vegans. We just went for coffee and cake but they have 3 menus to give you - one the regular menu, one the gluten-free menu, and one the vegetarian/vegan menu:

More to follow. Links playing silly buggers at the moment...
    Last edited by pusskins; Jul 11th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.

Roots Cafe in Taunton - Roots Full Vegan Breakfast. They also do a great choice of vegan ice-creams here, too!:

Last night in Bristol, we went to Pepe Nero to have pizza. WHAT a brilliant choice! And a lovely place to eat. We sat upstairs next to the window:

Last pic, I look a bit crazed. This was after many 'samplings' of cider earlier...
    Last edited by pusskins; Jul 11th, 2012 at 08:45 PM.

All that food looks so good.

Hi guys,

I don't know what the protocol is here in terms of advertising, so sorry if this isn't allowed... But I am planning to open a vegan food van in Bristol in the next couple of months (it has a Facebook page if anybody wants to be nice and "like" it! "The Spotless Leopard".) and was wondering if anybody would be interested in a free taster session maybe or coming to a not-so-grand opening and giving me feedback on the food?

If there is interest, I'll post more details on here nearer the time and would definitely appreciate people spreading the word if it sounds like something you might like.

Thanks.

Glad you've got your plan off the ground, Louise! I have "liked" your FB page although I'm not that near Bristol so might not be able to get to the inaugural sessions.

I wouldn't say what you've just posted was an ad personally but when you do want to post one there is a "classified" section, I think.

Good luck with it!

I was wondering who that was! Thank you!

I know a few vegans on there so I can do some "shares" nearer the time

Certainly. Sounds like a great excuse for a road-trip and long overdue forum meet-up combo.

(and show support, obviously!)
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Thanks a lot.

I am so excited for you Louise! Just liked your page, make sure u keep us updated on all the yummy things you are making!!!!!!
    Tanya

Quote BellaTanie View Post
    I am so excited for you Louise! Just liked your page, make sure u keep us updated on all the yummy things you are making!!!!!!
    Yay, thanks for the lovely comment on there too!

Quote LouiseAbel View Post
    Hi guys,

I don't know what the protocol is here in terms of advertising, so sorry if this isn't allowed... But I am planning to open a vegan food van in Bristol in the next couple of months (it has a Facebook page if anybody wants to be nice and "like" it! "The Spotless Leopard".) and was wondering if anybody would be interested in a free taster session maybe or coming to a not-so-grand opening and giving me feedback on the food?

If there is interest, I'll post more details on here nearer the time and would definitely appreciate people spreading the word if it sounds like something you might like.

Thanks.
    That's sounds amazing, I love the name too! What kind of food do you plan to sell?
    Houmous atá ann!

Thanks Blueberries! I'm not settling on an absolute final menu because I want to be able to alter it to what people want, but at the moment the idea is to have a hotdog, a burger made using whatever's in season if possible, soup, salad boxes and wraps every day and then a special every day which I can change depending on what veg is available and what new, interesting recipes I find. It's so hard to settle on just a few things! I want to serve quiches, pancakes, pasties, lasagne, sausage and mash, curries, samosas... Haha. I'll always have cakes, too.

Thanks Blueberries! I'm not settling on an absolute final menu because I want to be able to alter it to what people want, but at the moment the idea is to have a hotdog, a burger made using whatever's in season if possible, soup, salad boxes and wraps every day and then a special every day which I can change depending on what veg is available and what new, interesting recipes I find. It's so hard to settle on just a few things! I want to serve quiches, pancakes, pasties, lasagne, sausage and mash, curries, samosas... Haha. I'll always have cakes, too.
    Sounds amazing!
    Houmous atá ann!

Thank you. You're biased though! ;-) We think anything vegan is amazing, haha.

Thank you. You're biased though! ;-) We think anything vegan is amazing, haha.
    Haha, I'm sure most of us have had vegan food that we thought was less than amazing, probably from omni restaurants or at weddings!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Haha, I'm sure most of us have had vegan food that we thought was less than amazing, probably from omni restaurants or at weddings!
    Conferences, meetings, aeroplanes and sadly some other vegans' kitchens...
    Looking forward to scoffing, sorry, doing lots of very important 'testing', on your food when you're up and running LouiseAbel.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Another glad to support here. Any plans on where you may be located yet? Can you please please please do haggis samosa?

(it has a Facebook page if anybody wants to be nice and "like" it! "The Spotless Leopard".) and was wondering if anybody would be interested in a free taster session maybe or coming to a not-so-grand opening and giving me feedback on the food?
    I like to think the Bristol Vegans group could help, they're on facebook as well if you didn't know already.

Brewdog opened their Bristol bar today on Baldwin street. The bottled beers are vegan according to barnivore.

www.brewdog.com

Free screening of Vegucated, comedy, pizza etc, this Thursday & next Tuesday

http://www.vegetarianliving.co.uk/ne...view&story=150

Another glad to support here. Any plans on where you may be located yet? Can you please please please do haggis samosa?
    ...I can try. Haha. :P

I'm starting with a vegan cake stall at a market on Gloucester Road in 2 weeks' time - I'll be there every Friday and Saturday and before long I hope I can have the van there with a bigger variety of foods including hot.

(The market's at 160A St Michael and All Angels Church Courtyard, Gloucester Road, Bristol if anybody wants to come along.)

Thanks gertvegan.

Louise, Bristol Vegans have a meet up on 12th December, it's a potluck at someones house, but if the van is ready, maybe you could do the taster session etc?

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I had that second one a couple of weeks ago. T'was lush.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..