Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Bristol

Geoff

Default Re: meeting up

Quote coconut
    I might be interested. I'm very shy though, so don't be offended if I spend a lot of time in the corner looking awkward
    Coconut? Shy? There's a joke in there somewhere!

hi bulletproof!

I live in Bedminster. Im 25 and I love cooking, music and pilates. Where do you live and whe n u comin to bristol?
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

coolness. i live in weston , but i spend my time in bristol mostly.. next year (maybe, hopefully)
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Coconut? Shy? There's a joke in there somewhere!
    !!!!

Hey

Weston is no distance. Yo fancy meeting up in bristol bulletproof?

of course
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Im in Bristol and im going to the Viva talk that Gert mentioned earlier in the thread!!

cool. I've got to make sure I get all my work done, as I have a presentation thurs 5th. Hopefully see you there. How do you find out about these talks? Are you a member of viva?

Hi Sophia

It would be cool if you could come, we could go out for a drink before or after, as Gert mentioned. Yeah, im a member of Viva, they send stuff in the post and by email to let you know veggie/vegan stuff that is happening at the mo

laura, you look very familiar, probably passed you many times on the street, innit

The viva thing is at 1930, plenty of time to pop into either Teohs in St Pauls, or The One Stop Thali in Montpelier. Both places open at 1800.

i will probably come on the 4th, but more just to meet up with everyone , i'm not really interested in the lecture

edit: i think it is my college trip on the 5th, and if i am correct with this, that means i have to get up at 6 on thursday, in which case i probably won't go on wed (it is on a wednesday, right?)

Default Re: A Vegan Guide To Bristol 2005 - NOW AVAILABLE

The Bristol Alternative Homes & Gardens Fair takes place on May 14th 2005, between 10am - 4pm at the Create centre.

You'll be able to climb inside an electric car, examine solar panels, find out how to make your home more energy effecient, and buy a wide range of natural, fair trade, and organic products for the home.

More details HERE.

shame i am in ghent

Kevster

This is Bristol related, worth checking out:

http://www.bristle.org.uk/

disregard, i am there and looking forward to it

Thumbs up bristol people CHAT CHAT

because everyone likes vegan chocolate cake

In Bristol, looking for plants and shrubs and stuff, feeling peckish, then pop along to the Riverside Garden Centre and grab something to eat in the veggie cafe.

Today I had a big plate full of spicy African curry (with as many different types of veggies as I can think of) and rice for just Ł5.50. Well worth a visit.

Had eats this evening at Wagamama , Queens road, Clifton, Bristol.

I had yasai itameru, or stir-fried pak choi, tofu, red onion, beansprouts, sweet potato and coriander, served with rice noodles in a spicy coconut soup. And a carrot, cucumber, tomato, orange and apple juice.

The place is in a very good location, and looks more expensive than it is. If you ask, they have a wee seperate menu that shows whats vegan.

Kevster

Aye, it is a good place, we have one in Guildford, with a special menu with the vegan dishes marked, and what ones can be made vegan. Pretty good, and very enjoyable food as i recall.

Exclamation BRISTOLIANS (and people from nearby places) PLEASE VIEW

the laboratory of insurrectionary imagination are on tour in bristol right now (don't worry, i didn't know who they were either, but i looked at there website today).

anyone wanna go?

Default Re: BRISTOLIANS (and people from nearby places) PLEASE VIEW

it's not till the weekend- so not today! i don't know where i got that idea from, must've read it wrong!

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

I popped over to Bath again today, and found myself in Demuths again.

I had a mexican chilli with rice (ok it sounded more impressive on the menu) which was really nice, followed by chocolate fudge cake with soya ice cream. I've heard all good things about this chocolate fudge cake (thanks snaffler) and boy did it live up to them. Apparently they cut too big a slice, so as you can imagine it was just hell eating even more rich and sticky chocolate fudge cake than you had expected, but I struggled through. It looked really impressive (whilst it lasted) when the waitress brought it to the table, turning many heads.

I shared the meal with an organic cool blonde, thats a vegan lager by the way.

Demuths is well worth dipping into when in Bath.

Default Re: Vegan Bristol

Popped into Cafe Maitreya today and had the open satay sandwich (marinated aromatic vegetable julienne, spicy satay sauce on ciabatta with salad), followed by a choccie brownie in dark choccie sauce with their own soya ice cream and berries, washed down with a Riedenburger wheat beer. Gert lush.

If complementary therapies, remedies & treatments, consultations & courses, fitness, crystals, books, music, natural products, spirtual pathways, nutrition, gifts from around the world, over 60 exhibitors, free talks and demonstrations does it for you, the Natural Living Show is this coming weekend at the same venue as the Worlds Biggest Vegan Fayre and also the Veganforum meetup @ Bristol Vegan Fayre 2005?

More info HERE.

Vegan Bristol website is up and running , just needs tinkering.

Gert lush site nice
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Default Viva! volunteer evening in Bristol

For the army of vegans at large in Bristol there is going to be a weekly volunteer evening at Viva's offices, starting on the 29th. It'll run from 6 - 9pm. The work should consist mainly of filling information packs and the like. And whoever you are there'll probably be lots of new people to meet!

Here is the address:
    8 York Court,
    Wilder St,
    Bristol BS2 8QH

Come along. It'll be fun.

..also Roz clear some space in your PM box!
    Last edited by coconut; Jun 9th, 2005 at 11:52 PM. Reason: no - i'm too embarrassed

If anyone visits one of the places already in the guide , or somewhere that isn't that should be, post a little bit about it, and you never know, it may well appear in the 2006 Vegan Guide to Bristol.

Gertvegan - would you consider covering as far as Bradford on Avon - there are some good vegan-friendly places there and it's only a cycle ride away from Bristol?

Sophie

I'm the minor part of the Local Veggie Web team:

www.lvw.makessense.co.uk - take a look if you want a free, easy to develop website like Vegan Bristol's for your veggie group. This is what Vegan Bristol uses, among many other groups.

Quote SophieFP
    Gertvegan - would you consider covering as far as Bradford on Avon - there are some good vegan-friendly places there and it's only a cycle ride away from Bristol?
    Never say never but its probably a bit too far from Bristol, maybe theres a need for a lvw site to Somerset and Wiltshire. Thats another thread though.

Look out for vegan food being served up by Good Thai-dins, Good Gracious Healthy Foods, and Now and Zen, amongst others at Ashton Court fest next weekend, see here.

Default the ashton court festival

is anyone else going? anyone know if there is anything veganese going on? stall wise?

Default Alpro soya Roadshow

On the 20th - 23rd July the mobile Alpro soya, Roadshow will be visiting the city centre. Go along to try their delish dairy free range of alternatives to milk, yogurts, desserts and custards, including the new soya and fruit drinks.

See here.

Default Re: the ashton court festival

no?

Al Medina Cafe.

Neighbour to the Big Banana juice bar, opposite The Real Olice Co, and a whisper away from Royce Rolls, Al Medina Cafe is yet another St Nicks market vegan friendly caterer. Serving up half a dozen or more Moroccan vegan dishes that are cheap as chips, swiftly as, and with a smile.

Wheather it be casserole of lentils with tomato and coriander sauce, couscous and mixed veg salad, moorish chickpeas, or baysara for a couple of pounds, you'll be laughing. And takeaway to.

They'll also be happy to offer a catering service, with authentic Moroccan food for parties, buffets, and lunches etc.

St Nicks market is where it's at.

Default Essential Trading Co-op Job Vacancies

Fed up with traditional employment structures ?

Want to be more involved in decision making ?

Passionate about vegetarian/vegan and organic products ?

Essential Trading Co-op is a workers co-operative commited to ethical trading, who have vacancy for a Prepack Production/Food Processor Worker.

Read more about Essential and the vacancy here.

Kevster

Default Re: Essential Trading Co-op Job Vacancies

Oh, give me a co-op to work at anyday. Next stop vegan housing co-op.....

Finally got around to trying out Eastern Experience on the reccomendation of Mr Snaffler.

We had Mushroom and vegetable Lagan, vegetable jalfrazy, a couple of somosas, papadoms and chutneys and pickles (of course), and a few roti. Oh and a few cobra beers.

The staff are really friendly, the menu is clear to see whats vegan or ain't (green dot containing dairy), not bad prices, and its very local to. I can really see myself going there again.

The Eastern Eye in Bath is run by the same people. The menu for both can be checked out here.

Wahaaay at last you got over their I am glad you liked it, easy to follow really can't go wrong at all and of course Latoufan I think that is spelt correct indian rice beer is nice and very vegan.

I have got the taste buds wanting to go again now....but from Frome we need to add a Cinema trip to make it worth the run....
    That should not be hard with so many good films out at the moment including a new angelina jolie film

Default Re: Essential Trading Co-op Job Vacancies

Quote gertvegan
    Fed up with traditional employment structures ?

Want to be more involved in decision making ?

Passionate about vegetarian/vegan and organic products ?

Essential Trading Co-op is a workers co-operative commited to ethical trading, who have vacancy for a Prepack Production/Food Processor Worker.

Read more about Essential and the vacancy here.
    I have read through this and think the idea as a whole is pretty good but after looking at some of terms and conditions relating to hours and pay I do think with current housing prices including those in the renting market this would be a tough wage to manage on.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking the idea I think it's great but I know lots of people in Bristol and I have two large sections of my own family living in Bristol.
    They say they do need a certain amount to get by on, which exceeds the yearly of essentials wages, and I know for a fact the members of my I am talking about are far from what I would call excessive in their living, in fact they are very resouceful and into a lot of do it yourself stuff in many ways.

Any one here work for them ? I am no doubt that it is a great place to work.

Default St Marks Road Street Party

Easton's biggest street party, a friendly community event featuring a bustling street market with local traders selling snacks, arts and crafts, secondhand books and clothes, and more.

Including vegan food from Café Maitreya and Bristol Sweet Mart.

Plus entertainment from local DJs, musicians, a quirky mix of street performers, and kids area with face painting, play equipment and free art workshops.

Free

More info available from www.visiteastside.co.uk

A guy that works with me Lives in Easton he says the Street Party is fantastic def worht a visit to all those in the area when it's on.

You have soooo gotta go to Plantation.

Its a Caribbean restaurant only a few minutes on the bus from the centre of town, run by a lovely lady, Beverley Forbes. Though not a veggie place, Beverley is aware and interested in cooking vegan food, having regular customers in the Rastafarian Society of Bristol.

All but two of the veggie items are vegan, she'll even cook something not on the menu (within reason) if you ask.

We had the Callaloo Fritters, Aloo (Potato) Balls, Jerk Tofu with Stir Fried Vegetables, Curried Chana (Chick Peas) and Callaloo, Rice 'n' Peas x 2, and some delightful Johnny Cakes (Fried Dumplings).

Great place, top owner and chef, brill music, your loss if your don't go here when in town.

Thumbs up Re: Vegan Bristol

Theres a new soya shake place in town.

Shakeking only opened two weeks ago in Broadmead, just along from Primark. They have loads of weird and wonderful flavours to try, mentioning the term vegan on the menu: stating that many of their shakes are vegan (however, it isn't clear at present if some of the flavours are truly vegan - but they did say they were contacting manufacturers of some of the flavourings used, to clarify).

Use it or loose it.

In Bristol ??

Thirsty ??

Fancy a beer ??

A Vegan beer of course ??

From Vegan Society trademark holder Sam Smith's ??

Then head down to The King William, 20 King Street, Bristol, Avon, BS1 4EF.

Laughing.

The Organic Food Festival 2005 is coming up, though not a vegan event, all the vegan or vegan friendly companies listed below will be there.

Freedom Beer, Clipper Teas, Doves Farm Foods, Fresh & Wild, Goodness Direct, Infinity Foods, Jill Swyers, Montezumas Chocolates, Pertwood Organic Cereals, Pukka Herbs, The Real Olive Company Ltd, Sedlescombe Organic Vineyard, Suma, Village Bakery Ltd, Vinceremos Organic Wines, Vintage Roots Ltds, Westons Cider, Yaoh, Yorkshire Hemp Ltd in the L Shed, Ecotricity, Friends of the Earth, Green Peace Bristol , Positive News, Viva!, Authentic Bread Co, Better Food Company, Ecover, Essential Trading Coop Ltd, Hobbs House Bakery, Triodos Bank, The Deodorant Stone (UK) Ltd, Green People , Organic Soap Company, Skincare Café, and Green and Blacks, Grove Fresh, Nature's Plate, Cafe Maitreya.

Will you be there ??

Click ME for more info.

Wow that sounds great that is at the end of the week I am off of work after being at Reading Festival if the pennies are plenty I hopewe will pay it a visit.

Will send you a text if we are coming down.

Cheers Gert

As part of the Organic Food Festival 2005, 10 musicians and a chef from the Vienna Vegetable Orchestra will play an amazing selection of their own music exclusively from vegetable-based instruments, although where necessary, additional kitchen utensils such as knives or mixers are employed.

Whether its traditional African, classical concert, or experimental electronic music (they do a mean kraftwerk apparently), theres something for you's.

Check out www.gemueseorchester.org and have a listen.

They are at The Victoria Rooms on Saturday 3rd September, at 1930. Tickets can be booked in advance by calling the Bristol ticket shop - 0117929008.

Theres more info on the Fresh & Wild Festival Fringe 2005 HERE.