Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Bristol

Default Re: Vegan Bristol

Default From The Ethical Consumer

Calling all ethical consumers in Bristol and surrounding area.

Governing the subjects and spaces of ethical consumption is a University of Bristol and Open Univeristy research project.. They would like to interview ethical consumers in Bristol and South-west region who subscribe or purchase "The Ethical Consumer" magazine on a regular basis.

For more information contact:
    Dr Alice Malpass tel: 01179288808
    Email: a.malpass@bristol.ac.uk

Hey guys

I've just turned vegan (in the dietary sense, the mindset's been there for a while..) so I thought I'd come online to check out some UK vegan resources and what do I find? A freakin forum thread and a gert awesome site (great job gertvegan ) about bristol vegans!

I've been eating no red meat and dairy (health reasons!) for a while so I've just given up tuna and chicken which was really the only other meats I ate regularly. I always knew I had to go vegan and I think Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating clinched it for me.

Anyway, great to find others local, I'm all the way over in Sadley Broke though.. Ok I was just about to say I'll be at the next biggish event in bristol but I can't access gertvegan's site to see what it is, d'oh. (I think the sites temp. down)

Until then, I'm gonna be visiting (via my bike of course ) that juicy list of health/vegan stores on the site that I didn't know about (there's me thinking fresh n wild is the only decent place around). So if you see a medium build young guy with blonde hair down his back, a Specialized bike and a jansport bag wandering the streets over the next few weeks, just scream Dan. If the guy gives you a weird look, just look the other way and get the right guy next time

Quote Dan_B
    Ok I was just about to say I'll be at the next biggish event in bristol but I can't access gertvegan's site to see what it is, d'oh. (I think the sites temp. down)
    Hello Dan, the website is fine, I don't know about earlier.

Deffo go to the Veganforum meetup @ Bristol Vegan Fayre October 2005 and try to get to the Organic fayre on Sept 3rd and 4th, see here.

Its about time the veganforumers from Bristol (and boomer and anyone else when you're down this way) had another little meet up, anyone fancy it, that includes you to Dan ?

Sure! I just finished my a levels and I'm still part time so I can meet up pretty much any time apart from sunday, monday nights and when I have gigs to play (none lined up atm..)

You guys seem to know this area much better than me so hit me with a date and time and I should be there

Quote gertvegan
    Its about time the veganforumers from Bristol (and boomer and anyone else when you're down this way) had another little meet up, anyone fancy it, that includes you to Dan ?
    Wednesday evening is good with me. Look forward to meeting you all.

Any ideas as to where we should go?

I'm not doing anything on Wednesday. Sounds like a great idea to me. I don't mind where we go. I don't know of that many interesting vegan friendly places in the city, only wholefood shops.

Ok, I'm good for wednesday.

Where to go? *looks at gertvegan*
    Because civilized people do not know what they are, they talk politics, religion, and science while the basis of their life on earth, the soil, slips away beneath their feet."
    - W. H. Kötke

Sophia and Zuma are ok with Wednesday as well, I think.

I reckon we should go to the One Stop Thali Cafe for a ...... thali, I guess.

Is 18:30 ok ?? Pm me if any queries about getting there, maybe meet up in town and the head there.

If theres anyone else in Bristol on Wednesday, come along, whether you're a veganforumer or a lurker.

if only i was in the area, it'd be a nice big birthday party for me
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

hey, sorry for not getting back to you gert, i completely forgot! i wouldn't have been able to go as it happens but hope you (all) have a good time (i guess you are ordering your food as i type this!). look forward to seeing a nice big review when you get back..
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

The best juice bar in town now has its own website, Big Banana Juice Bar.

Do try their specials and wraps. Mmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmm.

Wild Oats are celebrating the delights of National Organic Week. More info here.

Remember, you can do it too - www.lvw.makessense.co.uk - fame also awaits you!

Kevster

Great magazine Bristle so get off your backsides and go and buy a copy for Ł1.20.

Bristol: From Harvest natural wholefoods, Circle books, One planet and others.
    Frome: Frome wholefoods
    Glastonbury: Hemp in avalon, Hunab Ku
    London: 56a Infoshop, 56 Crampton street, SE17
    Totnes: Harlequin books

Quote Kevster
    Great magazine Bristle so get off your backsides and go and buy a copy for Ł1.20.
    Not to be confused with The Vegan Guide to Bristol, which is free.

Quote bulletproof
    hope you (all) have a good time (i guess you are ordering your food as i type this!).
    The One Stop Thali Cafe is a pretty cool little place, surprised I've never been before. Its decoration is wicked, including the toilet to. The service is great, not being too big, and the food is simple yet really really tasty.

Another must.

www.veganbristol.makessense.co.uk as appeared in Animal Aid's Outrage mag, along with A Vegan Guide To Bristol 2005.

Even though they got the website incorrect.

Free Plamil Chocolate for readers of Local Veggie Web websites including Vegan Bristol.

wow fantastic
    :mad: 500 Animals are Tortured & Killed inside of Huntingdon Life Sciences Every single day for research into colourings, cosmetics etc that only 5% of results apply to humans :mad:

Dropped into China Black's in Clifton Village a few weeks ago, as was passing, and felt like a feed. Its a Chinese & West Indian place which also does take aways, with helpful and interested staff.

The takeaway menu only has one West Indian main dish, I'm sure there were more to be had if eating in, though not that night, as the owner and West Indian chef was outta town.

We had tofu with ginger and spring onions. and stir fried aubergines with black bean sauce.

Alright prices, friendly staff, reccommended if your in the village.

If you're in Bristol ( and Bath, Avon, and Somerset ) and are looking to rent a room out or are in Bristol and are in search of a place to rent or share etc, check out the free listings or post an ad on VegCom .

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

'Vegetarian café proves it's best of the bunch... again
    By Terri Judd
    Published: 28 October 2005

A customer recently walked into the Café Maitreya, a vegetarian restaurant in Bristol, and asked for a gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free dessert.

For once, head chef Mark Evans was stumped. But despite this, his menu of wild mushroom and pecan ravioli, or baked basil and lemon cheesecake, has met with admiration from a far wider audience. Last night he collected The Vegetarian Society's best restaurant award for the second year in a row.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article322859.ece

A Vegan Guide To Bristol 2006

Work has started on the new guide, due out in Feb.

Read more HERE.

Quiet Vegan

Default Anyone been here?

Next month me and the hubby are going to see the Levellers in Bristol, I found a vegan place called Falafel King off the link gertvegan suggested (thanks!). Anyone been there before? Do you know if it stays open later than 11pm as it claims?
    Thanks muchly

Default Re: Anyone been here?

Yes think it does! Not eaten there but walked past and it looks (and smells) great

Bristol was great for vegans, theres a massive health store called Fresh & Wild selection is so good and their vegan cakes - wow!

Im going to the Levellers too but in Birmingham.............

Alison

Quote Lazuli Blue
    Falafel King. Do you know if it stays open later than 11pm as it claims?
    I spoke to the Falafel King today. They stay open until midnight, unless it's quiet.

They are looking to expand, and maybe into a shop.

Quiet Vegan

Thanks alot for that gertvegan! I'll call them when we get to Bristol, just to be on the safe side - I'm hoping it won't be a quiet night!
    Oh yeah - I had trouble trying to drag my husband to the Vegan Fayre in Newport (we never went ), I'll try my best to get to the Bristol Fayre next June.

I popped into Tiffins yesterday for a quick bite to eat. The couple that run this place are two of the nicest people you will have the pleasure of meeting, and their food is equally as good.

They were at the Bristol Vegan Fayre 2005 and will be at the next bash as well.

Well worth a visit.

Many more articles have been added to the Vegan Bristol website, from Aroma Foods to Be Independent ...... Shop Independent, for you to have a nosey.

I went to Sands Restaurant recently, up near the Uni.

I can't remember exactly what I had, I think it was the Vegetarian Lunch of Hommos, Tabouleh, Zahra Maglia, Falafel & Sheikh El Mahshi. It was all vegan whatever I had anyways.

Quite a nice place, it gets good reviews, worth a visit if you just happen to up that way.

It may well find its way onto the Vegan Bristol website before long.

The new guide, A Vegan Guide to Bristol 2006 could well include over 20 new listings including a new restaurant in Bath, several milkshake bars obviously using soya milk, a new juice bar....

Read more here.

Demuths Winter Newsletter January 2006

At the restaurant we have a great new team in the kitchen with a European flavour, Amanda from Sweden, Vincent from France, Michael from Poland and Fran from up north all bringing refreshing new creative ideas.

Read more here.

aye, great wehbsite... i always wanted to go to bristol, and your vegan guide makes it even more interesting now, but, unfortunately, it's on the other side of the uk (from where i am)... and i'm skinned at the moment ... but hopefully in the summer...

bbb
    xxx

Kevster

'Bristol Sabs benefit night

A mixture of ska-hardcore-& folk-punk bands will be playing a benefit for Bristol Hunt Saboteurs, on the anniversary of the hunting 'ban', Saturday Feb 18th '06, at the Full Moon on Stokes Croft in Bristol. Bands are Spanner, This System Kills, Kilnaboy & Kalki + local djs. 8 till late, 5 entry.'

http://bristol.indymedia.org/newswir...story_id=24639

Happy Birthday to double Vegetarian Society best restaurant award winner Café Maitreya, four this week.

Read more here.

I've had a sneak preview of 'A Vegan Guide to Bristol 2006' and I have to say its the best guide that Yaoh have produced so far. Loads of local info, many an interesting article as per usual, top text, well neat art work, a treat and a half I reckon.

Hopefully a fair bit of it will find it's way onto the Vegan Bristol website.

Bristol Vegans 1st Meet Up is Wednesday 29th March, more info here.

evil ryan

Question Vegan shoes in Bristol

I'm not up for mail order, anyone know a good place for vegan shoes in Bristol?

Quote gertvegan
    I've had a sneak preview of 'A Vegan Guide to Bristol 2006'
    It's going to print later this week I believe, read more here.

Default Re: Vegan shoes in Bristol

There aren't any specifc places in Bristol that sell vegan shoes. You can find non- leather shoes in standard shops, you have to read the labels to see what they're made of. Cheaper shoes shops in Bedminster have quite a few plastic ones. Also New Balance trainers are often non-leather - again you need to check. These can be found in most sports shoe shops. I even found some quite good non leather trainers in Lidl!
    If you want good quality shoes, I really would recomend someone like vegetarian shoes. You could always take a trip to Brighton to visit the shop!

Natural Health Week 2006

Celebrate all week with Wild Oats as they bring you a week packed full of tastings and demos to educate and entertain.

More info here.

Anyone in Bristol, there'll be a Yaoh and hemp article in the Evening Post this Saturday.

Read more here.

Gert - it's 24 hours later and I can't believe you haven't posted anything about the first Bristol Vegan meet up!
    Sorry I had to leave in a rush, I had to get back for my sister who was babysitting.
    Hello to everyone I met there!

Quote gertvegan
    Anyone in Bristol, there'll be a Yaoh and hemp article in the Evening Post this Saturday.

Read more here.
    It's now next Saturday the 8th.

Cookey, I'll post the wee write up as soon as I get it. It was a good night, and many more people interested in joining us to.

Hello cookey and everyone else who was there on the 29th

Just wondering, at the end of the meetup everyone arranged to meet in the King William pub sometime this month. Can anyone remember what day was decided?

Its on the website coconut.

Default Re: Vegan Bristol - New Guide available

A Vegan Guide to Bristol 2006 is now available, most of it is already on the website, though images and links still need to be sorted. Its the best guide so far, by far.

More info on www.veganbristol.makessense.co.uk

Default Re: Vegan Bristol - New Guide available

Theres a new vegan cafe opening in Bristol.

More to follow soon as.