Thread: Vegan Bristol

Default Re: Vegan Bristol, Bristol vegans, being vegan in Bristol

i am running out of days, too many things planned

can we postpone christmas so i can fit in all the parties
    I dont get crunchy people?

Anyone coming to this ?:
    http://breakoutbristol.blogspot.com/

My little borther's organising it and the man on the drums is one of my babydaddy's!

i like the Croft, it's about the only pub i do like but then its not really a pub and its wicked kool inside.
    i shall definately try to go if i can
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Wish i lived nearer or drove these vegan christmas parties sound great

Theres info about the next Bristol Vegans meet up, a potluck kind of affair, on the website.

I went to a wedding in Bristol over the weekend. The reception was in Keynsham, and I hadn't been invited to the wedding breakfast so I had to kill 5 hours or so. My friends were watching the rugby, but I didn't want to spend all that time in the pub so went for a walk along Keynsham high street. As is my habit, I looked at the menus for all the places, and spotted Bar 19. First attracted by the offer of fair trade tea and coffee I was delighted to see that, although omni, they catered very well for vegetarians and vegans with options clearly marked, including the wine list, and they had ecover hand wash in the toilets (it always annoys me when otherwise vegetarian places have proctor and gamble or similar products in the bathrooms), and a lot of the stuff on the menu was locally sourced.
    While I was having my wine and chatting to the very friendly barman, he decided to tease me by showing me the christmas menu - they're doing a 4 course vegan option and it looked wonderful. Unfortunately they don't open on Sundays, so I couldn't try any of the food (because I was off to the reception in the evening, and they were fully booked anyway), but I thought I'd give the Bristolian locals a heads-up, as I couldn't see it mentioned when I did a thread search

Default Open House 29th December

Hello all
    Me and the girls are having an open house on Friday 29th December. If anyone's interested in coming, PM me and I'll send you the details.
    It'll be open to everyone I know, not just vegans, but the food will be vegan only. The house is only a little terraced thing with not much space, but I get so bored during the holidays and this is one way we can get to see lots of friends and family.
    I'm not sure what we'll have in the way of entertainment, I'll see what I can arrange!

As fas as I'm aware, there won't be a 2007 edition of A Vegan Guide to Bristol, allowing more time to be spent on the fayre, but 18 or so additional locations (restaurant, cafe, juice bar, shops etc) have been added to the Vegan Bristol website. Its just address and contact details at the mo though.

Quote twinkle View Post
    I thought I'd give the Bristolian locals a heads-up, as I couldn't see it mentioned when I did a thread search
    Thanks, will check it out some time.

Just passing on a message.

Vegan Burns Supper Bristol

Just to let you know there's a fantastic Burns supper on 20 Jan that has been running now for about ten years. The funds raised helps protect shelfish from cruel cooking practices - and is such a fab night.

Cafe Maitreya will be providing a meal of vegan haggis with 'neeps' and there will be Burns poetry, song, a piper and Scottish country dancing and a raffle. Entertainers include the hilarious Joe Soloman who is MC, the Sturdy Beggars, John Kerrry, Irene Benson and moi - Julie Patchouli - amongst others.

It's a great night so do come and help make it a success.
    It is held in Castle Green Church Hall. Tickets must be purchased in advance - as much as poss - so the right amount of food can be ordered. Tickets from Harvest and La Ruca on Gloucester Rd £14/10 (concs) which covers food and entertainment.

Cafe Kino Job Vacancy

Part time chef/kitchen assistant
    18.5 hours per week
    £5.35 per hour

Deadline for applications: 1st february 2007

Cafe Kino are looking for a creative person with a passion for vegan/vegetarian cooking to work in our busy kitchen. the ideal applicant will have a positive approach to working under pressure, be able to communicate and work well with others, demonstrate a professional attitude towards food and hygiene, and be interested in getting involved in the running of the cafe.

The role includes creating dishes, food preparation, cooking food to order throughout the day, cleaning the kitchen and cashing up duties.

Cafe kino is a worker’s co-operative and an equal opportunities employer.

Are you interested? Please pick up an application form and full job description from the cafe, or phone or email them.

They also have flexible, volunteer front of house assistant shifts available, please ask for details.

3 ninetree hill . bristol . bs1 3sb

www.cafe-kino.com

Passing the message on.

The Veggie Health & Slimming Show - organized by the Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation - is coming to Bristol on Saturday 28 April.

There will be a range of exciting talks, workshops and cookery demonstrations on offer as well as free food tastings, makeovers and a fashion show. There'll also be stalls, providing a great shopping opportunity, plus a nutritionist and slimming coach on hand to answer any questions you may have.

The show will be held at Broadmead Baptist Church (above Tesco Broadmead) on Saturday 28 April; 10.30-4pm. Admission is just £2 and includes a free copy of the V-plan diet.

We'd really appreciate any help you can offer on the day or in the build-up to it, to include:-

Models for the ethical fashion show - dress rehearsal on Tuesday 24 April, 6.30-8.30pm, show itself on Saturday 28 April, 2pm;

Being one of our three sassy Veggie Angels for a photocall at 12pm on Thursday 26 April;

Help with leafleting outside the venue on the day of the show, at our Veggie Angels' photocall (as above) and/or on Saturday 21 April;

Help with welcoming visitors, manning stalls and/or washing-up on the day of the show.

If you're able to help in any of these ways then we'd love to hear from you! Simply email your preference (including which hours/days you're available) to amanda[at]vegetarian.org.uk or give me a call on 0117 970 5190.

Amanda Woodvine

Default Masala, North st

After all the talk of Vegan labelling at sainsbury's, I have been thinking how I can shop more at independant shops. As I do mot of my shopping at evenings and on Sunday, this isn't always easy. But I just noticed today that "Masala" in North st Bedminster, opens until 8pm on a Wednesday and Thursday. They sell lots of vegan staples and fruit and veg. They also have a little cafe. Although they also sell fish, so not vegetarian. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Default Re: Vegan Bristol

The next Bristol Vegan's meet up is in at MY HOUSE! On Saturday 17th March (St Patrick's day).
    If anyone wants to come along they're more than welcome. Especially those of you I haven't seen for ages that keep saying they're going to come and see me! (that means you VBB!).

Meant to say - If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the details or check the Bristol Vegan's website.

The V.B. web site is being tarted up at the mo. It should be finished in the next few days.

Come in and have a look but there are many things to fall over ....

Am helping at the slimming show gertvegan and cookey, what's happening at your house? do we need to brig food and what part of bristol do you live in?
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

I live in South Bristol. Yes, it's a bring food type thing with an Irish /green theme if you fancy.
    Ellen, who is the local contact has the details and people are getting in touch with her to say they're coming so we know roughly how many.
    If you PM your email, I can pass it on to her to add you to the list.

Quote cookey View Post
    The next Bristol Vegan's meet up is in at MY HOUSE! On Saturday 17th March (St Patrick's day).
    If anyone wants to come along they're more than welcome. Especially those of you I haven't seen for ages that keep saying they're going to come and see me! (that means you VBB!).
    sorry cookey, only just seen this and i can't make it

i'll come and see you soon, promise
    I dont get crunchy people?

From Cafe Maitreya

We’re absolutely delighted to report that Café Maitreya was named the Observer Food magazine’s vegetarian restaurant of the year. This was despite stiff competition from bigger and wealthier restaurants in flashier places.

It’s a great honour for us and once again we have to thank you, our customers. We’ve known for a little while but had to keep the news under wraps. Gordon Ramsay handed out our award at the Observer’s food awards last week in London’s west end, and some of you will have seen us in the weekend magazine or on UKTV last Friday.

The award comes after winning the Vegetarian Society’s top award the last two years and has left us somewhat overwhelmed. We’re surprised, delighted and touched that so many people put our name forward. We really do feel honoured - and motivated to continue striving to meet the high standards expected. We’ve only been open 5 years and feel we still have improvements to make. We won’t be resting on our laurels but want to continue to aim for the best we can be.

As usual we’ve been busy trying to make the most of local seasonal ingredients. The menu is changing fairly rapidly at the moment but you’re likely to see interesting things with nettle, wild garlic and Wye Valley asparagus. For the full menu, please go to our web site: www.cafemaitreya.co.uk

Yes, I saw that in The Observer. I went to the Cafe Maitreya once and would say it's well deserved.

Britain's top vegetarian restaurant, Café Maitreya, will run a cafe at The Veggie Health & Slimming Show - organized by the Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation, on Saturday 28 April, giving away free food samples.

More info here.

Animal Farm is on at Theatre Royal Bath between Wednesday June 27 - Saturday July 21 if anyone is interested, see www.theatreroyal.org.uk

Kevster

Next week Le Guardienne are looking for the best independent shops in Bristol and they need some suggestions:

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...065071,00.html

I'm not sure who the raw chocolate goddess is but they will be at Fresh and Wild this evening, and visitors will have the opportunity to make raw chocolate and learn all about why it is so good for you.

From the Viva! website.

Monday 25th June 2007: 7pm-9pm

The Octagon Room, Bath Assembly Rooms, Bennet Street, Bath BA1 2QH

Surviving the Next Pandemic: Bird Flu and Other Emerging Infectious Diseases (also Why You Don't Need Dairy presented by Viva! founder and director Juliet Gellatley)

All welcome! Entrance £2.50 (under 18s and NUS free)

Click here (pdf) for further details.

Its not in the Vegan Guide to Bristol or on the website as far as I'm aware, but www.applecider.co.uk serve up maybe 10 or so vegan ciders, and are also at the Bristol vegan Fayre.

Vegetarian holiday guide to Bristol and Bath published

Monday, 04 Jun 2007 17:18

Vegetarian tourists heading for the West Country will have a considerably easier trip following the publication of the Vegetarian and Vegan Guide to Bristol and Bath.

The guide, published by the campaigning vegetarian group Viva!, features over 300 veggie-friendly restaurants, cafes, hotels and shops in Bristol, Bath, Bradford-on-Avon, Clevedon, Weston-Super-Mare and the surrounding area.

Dedicated sections are offered on each area, complete with detailed listings for each entry - from opening times to soya milk availability. There is also a section dedicated to veggie friendly places and veggie booze.

Angie Greenaway, editor of the guide, said: "With 'meat reducers' and the number of vegetarians and vegans at an all-time high, people expect to see a good veggie choice and we're thrilled that Bristol and Bath have more than risen to the challenge and shown that the west is best."

The article is here and the book here.

is everyone in bristol going to the vegan fayre?? i am - really exited

Hello bryony. If you click user control panel at the top of the page, then group memberships, join the uk meet up group, and you'll see a whole Bristol Vegan Fayre meet up thread.

thankyou

The cafe Kino ice cream sundae with fresh berries, chopped nuts, chocolate sauce and maple syrup is well worth stopping by for. Had one Saturday.

www.cafe-kino.com

Talking of Cafe Kino, if anyone is on myspace, there is a Cafe Kino Fans page for adding. www.myspace.com/cafekinofans

Wild Oats are looking at possibly opening on Sundays, and ask those who would use the service to get in contact.

www.woats.co.uk

Monmouthshire

Bristol is a nice easy trip from where I live in Wales to enjoy the veggie and vegan delights of the city.

Hi Siwales. Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Wales do you live? Feel free to start your own "hello" thread in the "say hello" section.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Theres an interesting article about the Falafel King on pages 26 & 27 of the current venue (no 777).

As well as a mention, on page 33, that Seven Generations have now added a cafe, all veggie, and largely vegan.

www.sevengenerations.co.uk

From the Cafe Maitreya summer newsletter.

Saturday 18 August sees the return of the St Mark’s Road Street Party. The road will be blocked off to vehicles and the street should come alive for a warm hearted celebration. Expect stalls, music and some entertainment. We’ll also be doing a delicious barbeque and the restaurant will serving a simple £5 breakfast and lunch/snack menu from 11am, along with fruit drinks and smoothies. Hope to see you there!

Anyone going to the Bristol Vegans meet up at the weekend?

Yes me- and at one or two children.

According to venue magazne, Tiffins cookery school / classes is now up and running.

Default URGENT! Vegan guy needs palce to stay in Bristol tomorrow and thursday night.

HI does anyone know anyone who can put me up in Bristol tomorrow and thursday night? i have left it far to late to organise but am desperate for a place to crash, am friendly and vegan so please let me know if anyone can help!!!

dan

Slightly new look for web site: www.veganbristol.makessense.co.uk

If you need a free web site for your veggie group/info site etc here is where to look:

www.lvw.makessense.co.uk.

I'm trying to get my herbal superfoods, protective body oils and similar such products small business started.
    Everything is vegan of course, not tested on animals ofcourse and organic wenever possible and i need somewhere to pack and store my products.
    Does anyone have a spare room or know of any small units anywhere in Bristol but preferably not too far from town (as i don't have my own transport) that i can do this from?

I am obviously happy to pay rent but can't afford too much at the moment!!

Bristol Vegan Fayre 2008

The dates for next years fayre are 31st May and the 1st June.

Here's hoping for another great weekend!
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Rather than have multiple active threads about the the 2008 Bristol Vegan Fayre, several posts are now in the fayre thread.

I've just read about it in another thread, but just in case anyone is heading to Bristol just to visit the Fresh & Wild store, don't bother, it closed at the beginning of September. Try Harvest or Better Food Co instead perhaps.

There is however, a new Hotel Chocolat shop, though very different to Fresh & Wild of course.

The Lansdown pub in Clifton now has vegan cakes, truffles, and mains