Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan croissant?

Default Vegan croissant?

Has anyone located a vegan croissant? It's the only thimg I really miss!

tabitha

Default Re: Vegan croissant?

That would be almost too good to be true.....

I thought that but Alex Bourke claims to have found a chocolate croissant in paris.

tabitha

OMG !! Find the address!!! send me some!!! Now

Who's Alex Bourke?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

tabitha

I dont care, hes the man with the croissants ok. He has a basket of them and hes bringing them round now.

From http://www.vegetarianguides.co.uk/sa...einparis.shtml

Stroll east from les Halles, past the red light area of rue St Denis towards the Jewish quartier around rue des Rosiers. Here you'll find a mini-vegan snacker’s paradise, with luscious special falafels like no falafel you've tasted before, piled high with salads, hummous and fried aubergine. Most of the bread and pastries are 'parve', containing no milk. Yes folks we are talking vegan chocolate croissants and exceedingly more-ish vegan cakes. Just ask if they're free of eggs (C'est sans oeufs?) and tuck in.

Tabi, I think you need to go and eat!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I am definitely going to check it out !!

I had a vegan croissant at the North West Vegan festival a couple of years ago. It was an Italian company I think and I couldn't find any info re where to get them in England (- apart from the vegan festival ) I saved the packet for ages ....but can't remember the name now

Hmmm. Chocolate croissants! Wow! I tried making some once and they were disgusting! I'm no pastry chef. Right, I'm off to Paris next time I go on holiday

VeganJohn

I have yet to find an outlet that sells vegan croissants, however I recently purchased a vegan cookbook with the following recipe:

CROISSANTS

Ingredients:

1.5 teaspoons fast-action dried yeast
    1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
    150ml sweetened soya milk, warmed
    250g plain flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    50g coconut oil, melted
    1 tablespoon vegan mayo to glaze

Method:

1. Mix the yeast with the sugar and the warm soya milk in a small bowl.

2. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and mix in half the coconut oil. Make a well in the centre, pour in the yeast mixture and gradually work itin with a fork to make a dough.

3. Flour a work surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes until smooth. Roll out and spread with the remaining coconut oil. Cut the dough in half, put one half on top of the other, then roll up tightly. Wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

4. Divide the chilled dough into 3 pieces and roll each one into a square. Place the squares on separate pieces of baking parchment, roll them up and chill until needed.

5. To make plain croissants, cut the squares in half diagonally, then roll them up loosely from the longest edge towards the point. Bring the two ends around to touch each other, making a crescent shape.

[To make chocloate croissants, place two squares of chocolate in the triangles and roll them up as described in step 5].

6. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, Gas Mark 4. Leave the croissants to rise for 30 minutes. Glaze the tops of the croissants with mayo and bake for 10-15 minutes.

This seems really complicated and since I am not great at making pastry, I think I will give it a miss. I would be interested to see if people have any success though :>

Thanks Vegan John.

Interesting. Especially the mayo bit! I may try a mayo glaze on something next time I need a glaze Has to be tried.

I don't have any coconut oil....

you can buy bake-in-the-oven vegan croissants, by Sara-Lee...not the best or healthiest but I loved croissants when i ate dairy so I always buy one pack of these whenever i go to tescos. They are kept in the fridge part, near to the ready made pastry and the butter etc.
    Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined

Quote tadpole1707
    you can buy bake-in-the-oven vegan croissants, by Sara-Lee...not the best or healthiest but I loved croissants when i ate dairy so I always buy one pack of these whenever i go to tescos. They are kept in the fridge part, near to the ready made pastry and the butter etc.
    How have I missed these?!
    Amazing!!!

i must try that recipe!! life without croissants is just not the same..
    i'll leave out the mayo though...that just seems strange
    Piggy

sugarmouse

i used to liek croissants too but always avoided them as someone told me theywere basically fluffyflakey fat!lol
    nice tho.i wouldn have thought theyd be hard to come across or make, as theyre made with butter/margarine and obviously there are vegan equivelants arent they
    do sarah lee promote them asvegan or do they just happen to be so?

VeganJohn

Quote Cherry
    Thanks Vegan John.

Interesting. Especially the mayo bit! I may try a mayo glaze on something next time I need a glaze Has to be tried.

I don't have any coconut oil....
    I am finding it hard to locate coconut oil and my cookery book uses it quite a bit in recipes.

Quote tadpole1707
    you can buy bake-in-the-oven vegan croissants, by Sara-Lee...
    Wow!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I remember reading here a long time ago, that Sara Lee also owned a slaughter-house.

That might make a difference to some people, when deciding weather or not to purchase Sara Lee products.

Unhappy Re: Vegan croissant?

Quote tadpole1707
    I found some in Sainsburys but they contained butter. I was so disappointed.
    Perhaps the've changed the recipe.

Quote VeganJohn
    I have yet to find an outlet that sells vegan croissants, however I recently purchased a vegan cookbook with the following recipe:
    :>
    Thanks. It does seem a bit complicated but when I find some coconut oil I'll give it a try. I guess if you have to melt the cocnut oil it must come in a block. My husband claimed to remember buying some, but I think it was from the Body Shop!

Good sperm

Recipe here
    Haven't made 'em myself yet but can't be too hard

I've a recipe in this book that only uses butter in terms of non vegan ingredients, so should in theory be quite easy to copy. Haven't tried yet thou, the recipe takes days to make and I really don't like croissants *that* much
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote absentmindedfan
    Recipe here
    Haven't made 'em myself yet but can't be too hard
    Thanks I'll give it a try one day when I'm having a doing bits and pieces at home sort of day.

Peace, love, and happiness.

Guy i know in London has a veggie bakery and he used to do vegan croissants.Need to dig out the address.
    I remember another place in central London that was a take away style place and they used to do vegan BLT's in a croissant .Mmmmmmmmmm.........!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I am so jealous of all you UKers who can find ready-made vegan food. I doubt there's a bakery anywhere east of the Rockies and outside NYC that makes vegan croissants.

Quote gogs67
    Guy i know in London has a veggie bakery and he used to do vegan croissants.Need to dig out the address.

I used to know a Buddhist place in Bethnal Green that did wonderful bread pudding. Whereabouts is your friend?

Quote grail
    I am so jealous of all you UKers who can find ready-made vegan food. I doubt there's a bakery anywhere east of the Rockies and outside NYC that makes vegan croissants.
    Don't be too jealous - these are only rumours so far!

How hard is it in the US? Do people know what a vegan is? How accommodating are friends who invite you round, restaurants etc? Can you get stuff delivered by internet orders?

Thanks AbsentMindedFan and Tigerlily for the croissant link.

You know, I have the lunch box blog on my favourites and check it every few days (I haven't been inspired enough to really put any effort into my own lunches but still interesting to see that it can be done!) but had missed the croissants.

It's tempting. I'm contemplating Sunday morning croissants...

Quote beansprout
    I found them in Sainsburys as well, and they had butter in, I was disappointed too!
    Couldn't find them in the Burgess Hill Tescos, and that's quite a large store.
    Really craving croissants now!!
    And I know they will be pitiful if I make them...

Quote beansprout
    Say it isnt so! i have a pack of these atm, so i got them out and read through the ingrediants, but couldnt find any butter in them? heres the list of ingrediants:
    unbleached wheat flour, water, vegetable fat with emulsifier (e471), wheat gluten, sugar, alcohol, raising agents (glucono delta lactone e575, sodium bicarbonate e500ii), dextrose, salt, dehydrated sourdough, bakers yeast, emulsifier (e472e) L absorbic acid (e300)

eeeek looking at the ingredients like that just reminds me how bad they are for you but oh-so-yummy! please someone tell me these are vegan?! my aunty and her mate (both vegans, and one who used to own a veggie/vegan cafe) have them, and they told me the croissants were vegan-put my mind to rest someone please!
    Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined

Without contacting the manufacturer there is no way of knowing as some of the ingrediants may not be vegan (such as alcohol).
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

finally something i can relate to! we have a really nice organic bakery that makes the nicest vegan crossaints - plain or with chocolate. it was just around the corner from my old apartment, but it's pretty far away from where i live now. so no more sunday morning-crossaints for me. healthier, but a little sad.

New vegan place Cafe Kino, here in Bristol does them. They keep them on the counter in a jar and they call out to you!

Thank you all for your contributions.

Tadpole, this is very odd. Sainsburys didn't have them when I looked yesterday so I couldn't double check.

I can't really justify a trip to Denmark in pursuit of croissants, but I might just give Bristol a look in next time I'm down the M5. Pity I didn't know when I was down for the vegan festival the other week!

Blue Lotus used to do croissants, I had a couple at the Heart of England festival last year. Looking at their site, I'm not sure they're still doing them but I only looked quickly because I'm really knackered and just about to go to bed.

I emailed them a few months back and they seemed friendly. Conceivably they'd be prepared to make a batch up if the demand is there.

Beansprout - Are you going to be at Gloucester fayre? Cos I could bring you some up.

i have been craving croissants for a while now, since i work at a cafe, and we sell (regular) croissants and everytime someone has one toasted, they smell soooo bloody good! and it makes me want one soo much. i neeed to try a vegan one. NOW.

i have collected quite a few recipes and i am going to attempt one or some of them until i make the perfect vegan croissants. i'd rather make them myself than buy them.

even though making them still wont be *that* healthy, it will be better than eating bought-ones with emulsifiers, and stabiliers & all that.

i'll keep you guys posted.

Please do! We're all counting on you...

Cafe Kino didn't have any last time I was in there. They said it was to do with the supplier. What a gutter. Looks like there is a big gap in the market. I think you could do well at a vegan fayre with a table overflowing with just vegan croissants!

There's a recipe for them in the book "Vegan" by Tony Bishop (hope i got that right). Haven't tried making them but can PM you the recipe if you don't have it. Over here in Italy I've found a company that makes vegan croissants!!! Couldn't believe they were vegan - had to read the ingredients over and over to be sure

I used to miss croissants when I first went vegan. I never got hold of any. Once I even tried making some and was told they were nice buns.

Quote dreama
    I used to miss croissants when I first went vegan. I never got hold of any. Once I even tried making some and was told they were nice buns.
    heh heh..are you sure whoever told you that was talking about the croissants?

im sure you can buy vegan croissants in unicorn (vegan shop in manchester).next time i go ill have to have a look and see who makes them.ive never really bothered as i dont really like croissants
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

Quote tadpole1707

seriously!!

i'm off to tesco as soon as the girly wakes up!
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Quote grail

i had a much easier time finding ready-made vegan food when i lived in the states.
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Quote fiamma
    Over here in Italy I've found a company that makes vegan croissants!!! Couldn't believe they were vegan - had to read the ingredients over and over to be sure
    sounds too good to be true ...what company would that be, fiamma?
    Piggy

Oow I MISS croissants!
    Anyone know anywhere in Brighton that does them?
    [C R A V I N G S]

paulvegan

Quote Troutina
    Oow I MISS croissants!
    Anyone know anywhere in Brighton that does them?
    [C R A V I N G S]
    i dont know any where that sells them ,but i got sent a recipe for vegan ones,if you whant that let me know