Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan croissant?

Default Re: Vegan croissant?

Quote paulvegan
    i dont know any where that sells them ,but i got sent a recipe for vegan ones,if you whant that let me know

HOW IS THIS OFF TOPIC
    Yes please!!
    I'll probably make them sooo badly but it's worth a try!

Quote piggy
    sounds too good to be true ...what company would that be, fiamma?
    It's called Misura and the croissants are called Privolat. Disgusting sounding name, I know, but they are vegan. Contain no milk or eggs. Where are you in Italy, Piggy?

i've got recipes for vegan croissants, but apparently making them is really hard (whether they are vegan or not), cos you need to build them & it takes time (and i mess up the most easy recipes anyway).

i asked at my local wholefood store (they sell regular croissants & we got into a discussion about it) & they had never even heard of vegan croissants. no chance of me buying any then..oh well

Quote fiamma View Post
    It's called Misura and the croissants are called Privolat. Disgusting sounding name, I know, but they are vegan. Contain no milk or eggs. Where are you in Italy, Piggy?
    oh, thanx fiamma, i only saw your answer now. i know misura, haven't ever come across the croissants though..i'll have to keep an eye open for them!

I'm near naples...in a small town with very little vegan options
    Piggy

Can send you some if you like...
    I bet there are lots of legume dishes in restaurants.. are there? When I went to Calabria I had this awesome pasta dish with chickpeas and rosemary in a tomato sauce. And starter dishes of artichokes and olives the size of boats.... *mmmmmmm*

southern italy is great for veggies! at least, it's better than the north..
    chickpea soup is popular around here, and so's pasta with beans, peas, lentils or chickpeas..
    most likely in restaurants would be the chickpeas though..
    Piggy

Sweet & Sara make the best vegan croissants - stuffed with chocolate! Had them at our friend's vegan wedding in NYC!

www.sweetandsara.com

Quote VeganJohn View Post
    I am finding it hard to locate coconut oil and my cookery book uses it quite a bit in recipes.
    Goodness Direct sell it online: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

For folks in the US you can find vegan croissants in Safeway! Go to their bakery section and look through the boxed stuff they bake themselves. Important to note: their standard croissants are not vegan, but their MINI croissants are! Not sure why the difference in recipe, but we're thankful for it. These "mini" croissants are still roughly 4-5" long and 3" wide so just fine for a Tofurkey or avocado or Chocoreale sandwich!

No way! I'm in Canada, but will check at the Safeway here, to see if it's the same situation. Thanks!

This is all too cruel! Surely there must be some I can get in the UK!

PygmyGoat

^ What's wrong with the Sara Lee ones that Tesco sell?? . They don't look too healthy but they say they're ok for vegetarians and the ingredients do look vegan.

I found this link to 'parve' dairy free patisserie. It looks as though you can order on line. Don't know how fresh it would be...Your croissant!

http://www.franckdelights.com/fr/cat...d5b7f230d85ea7

Rosalind

oops, I hope that I have not broken any rules about advertising. I'm sorry about that if I have.

Rosalind

Thanks for that. Where does it say it's dairy free?

Quote *PygmyGoat* View Post
    ^ What's wrong with the Sara Lee ones that Tesco sell?? .
    My nearest Tesco doesn't do them!

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    oops, I hope that I have not broken any rules about advertising. I'm sorry about that if I have.
    I think the rule applies to things you are promoting for financial gain (?) not for helping each other out like this. Do tell me if I'm wrong somebody.
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

PygmyGoat

Quote beansprout View Post
    My nearest Tesco doesn't do them!
    Have you asked them?. The Croissants are tucked away in the chiller in my local Tesco, I would NEVER have discovered them if I didn't shop from home and happen upon them whilst searching on their internet list! .

Why not make your own. All you need is pre packed puff pastry suitable for vegans. Cut a square in half and rollit up until it forms a croissant shape and bake until golden.

PygmyGoat

^ But Puff Pastry isn't the same as Croissants, is it??

Quote *PygmyGoat* View Post
    Have you asked them?. The Croissants are tucked away in the chiller in my local Tesco, I would NEVER have discovered them if I didn't shop from home and happen upon them whilst searching on their internet list! .
    I asked 4 different assistants who didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I assume they should be in the fridge next to pastry. I tried the internet too. Maybe I'll send my husband on a search of other Tescos (he drives around more than I do).

PygmyGoat

I asked 4 different assistants who didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I assume they should be in the fridge next to pastry. I tried the internet too. Maybe I'll send my husband on a search of other Tescos (he drives around more than I do).
    Sorry, I have a funny image in my head now!!.
    In my local Tesco they are on the shelf above the fridge where the pastries and things are kept. They are in short round tubes and are usually stacked in such a way as to be rendered invisible!! .
    Can you get your shopping online?. If you enter 'Sara Lee Croissants' you'll see them.

I tried on the internet too. Problem is that I think internet shopping comes from the local branch.

PygmyGoat

I tried on the internet too. Problem is that I think internet shopping comes from the local branch.
    Ah, ok, yes, it does come from your local branch, so if you've tried that then they *really* don't have any! .

Mahk

While visiting relatives for Thanksgiving (I'm in the US), several food attempts were made to meet my vegan needs. I guess I'm lucky I have such understanding relatives. Some foods were hits, some were misses. But a huge hit was what I believe were labeled "Pillsbury crescent rolls". I read the cardboard tube you slice the dough from (you bake them, they aren't pre-made) and I was shocked I could eat them, but I could and they were quite good. [Warning: may contain food groups I eat that you may not, including sugar, lecithin, and mono and di-glycerides of unknown origin]. It didn't taste exactly like a freshly baked croissant I remember from Paris, but I would say it was more than just edible.

I looked for the sara lee croissants but I could only find all-butter ones but I was shopping today and I saw some sara lee pain au chocolates and I checked the ingredients and I'm pretty sure they were vegan

Quote "Mahk" View Post
    While visiting relatives for Thanksgiving (I'm in the US), several food attempts were made to meet my vegan needs. I guess I'm lucky I have such understanding relatives. Some foods were hits, some were misses. But a huge hit was what I believe were labeled "Pillsbury crescent rolls". I read the cardboard tube you slice the dough from (you bake them, they aren't pre-made) and I was shocked I could eat them, but I could and they were quite good. [Warning: may contain food groups I eat that you may not, including sugar, lecithin, and mono and di-glycerides of unknown origin]. It didn't taste exactly like a freshly baked croissant I remember from Paris, but I would say it was more than just edible.
    I saw those too. I'm thinking of picking them up. I miss croissants.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

PainterLady

OMG! Thanks for this recipe

Quote tadpole1707 View Post
    Say it isnt so! i have a pack of these atm, so i got them out and read through the ingrediants, but couldnt find any butter in them? heres the list of ingrediants:
    unbleached wheat flour, water, vegetable fat with emulsifier (e471), wheat gluten, sugar, alcohol, raising agents (glucono delta lactone e575, sodium bicarbonate e500ii), dextrose, salt, dehydrated sourdough, bakers yeast, emulsifier (e472e) L absorbic acid (e300)

i would probably avoid those on seeing "LACTone" - anything with "lact" in i'm suspicious of i may be wrong though...

Quote Ribbon View Post
    im sure you can buy vegan croissants in unicorn (vegan shop in manchester).next time i go ill have to have a look and see who makes them.ive never really bothered as i dont really like croissants
    no way!! another unicorner!! i live literally down the road from there it's the main reason i chose this flat....a vegan supermarket at the end of my street!

back to the croissant issue though.....i was having big cravings too so i tried one of the ones from unicorn - it was terrible cold, so i heated it, but it still didn't taste really great...

i guess i'll have to move to paris instead...it's a tough life!

You can get those tubes of "bake your own" croissants from Aldi, about 70p a tube - I checked the ingredients and they all seemed vegan.

The best part is rolling them up... the pastry is pre-cut into triangles, I like to put a little square of chocolate or jam in before rolling them up =)

Mahk

Quote emmy View Post
    i would probably avoid those on seeing "LACTone" - anything with "lact" in i'm suspicious of i may be wrong though...
    Emmy, you are right to raise an eyebrow when you read "lact" because it may be a derivative of milk, but in this case I don't think it is. I can't speak for every single producer of this chemical, but cornstarch seems to be the source for most. Read the first FAQ of this tofu company:http://www.sunrise-soya.com/faqs.htm

Quote emmy View Post
    no way!! another unicorner!! i live literally down the road from there it's the main reason i chose this flat....a vegan supermarket at the end of my street!

back to the croissant issue though.....i was having big cravings too so i tried one of the ones from unicorn - it was terrible cold, so i heated it, but it still didn't taste really great...

i guess i'll have to move to paris instead...it's a tough life!
    don't you just love it?unicorn is awesome..i don't live as near as i'd like (in fallowfield) but i drive so it's pretty easy to get there and as i work really near there sometimes it's just another excuse to pay a visit.i probably drive past near where you live very often!

back on topic yea i tried the unicorn one (even though im not really a croissant fan..seems curiousity got the better of me) and was pretty unimpressed.as a result, im up for moving to paris
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

i went to school in fallowfield book us both a plane ticket, i say!

Talking Re: Vegan croissant?

Quote tadpole1707 View Post
    you can buy bake-in-the-oven vegan croissants, by Sara-Lee...not the best or healthiest but I loved croissants when i ate dairy so I always buy one pack of these whenever i go to tescos. They are kept in the fridge part, near to the ready made pastry and the butter etc.
    wow really, i guess i never thought of looking for these, just assumed they would all have butter in. I'm so gonna check for these next time i'm shoppin'. Cheers for the tip

A very belated thanks to veganavenger - the Aldi ones are a very acceptable solution. Cheap too!

Last edited by Digital Ghost; May 27th, 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: wrong post to reply to!

Thumbs up Re: Vegan croissant?

www.thevegancakegirl.co.uk - click on breakfast treats....CROISSANTS!!!!

They are based in London but mail order there stuff all over the UK.

The croissants don't have a 'buy it now' link but I emailed and they said that they are a small business and that the croissants take three days to make so they prefer to make them only by request, not pre-make and freeze them.

Meaning - email them, say you want them, they will send you payment details, you pay and they will bake them to order and mail them to you. They said there is no minimum order. I ordered 8 and put a stash in my freezer.

They are sooooooooo good! Order them today!!! They also do danish pastries but I haven't tried them yet. They are next on my list!!!!

So there you go for all you UK people!

I hate the food ones because it only makes me hungry!
    mmmmmmm...cupcakes

Quote rebeccas View Post
    www.thevegancakegirl.co.uk - click on breakfast treats....CROISSANTS!!!!
    You mean the same Vegancakegirl that's part of Rebbeca's Cakes?

Sounds fab. Had a look at the website - blimey, I thought I made a lot of cake!

It's a coincidence as I have the same name but I am not the Rebecca of Rebecca's Cakes! Just have a massive sweet tooth!

I think I'm going to try making some soon, I have a craving for petit pain au chocolat, in particular

Quote rebeccas View Post
    It's a coincidence as I have the same name but I am not the Rebecca of Rebecca's Cakes! Just have a massive sweet tooth!
    Did you know that my name is Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth the Second? I'm not Her Majesty, it's just a terrible coincidence.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I think I'm going to try making some soon, I have a craving for petit pain au chocolat, in particular
    Yeah I'll be making the shmooedfood ones tonight

Tonight hey... I feel like baking something. Was thinking of trying a donut recipe, but maybe I should do croissants. I have the Schmooed recipe too! Fingers crossed

Jus-Rol do croissants that we've just bought and appear to be vegan. They come in a can, you unroll them and bake them. Will report back on their tasty goodness.

HI Risker,
    i saw those jus roll croissants and checked the ingredients, looks good foe no egg or butter, however unlike other just rol products it doesn't say suitable for vegetarians, that's a bit worring. what do you think? would be good to find a vegan croissant.

Just called the customer service line and was told that they're suitable for vegans.

leedsveg

All of a sudden, sales of Jus Roll croissants will escalate, methinks.

lv

wow, thanks Risker, that's good news! Will defo be having some jusrol croissants soon then