Thread: Taking sugar out of my families diet!

Default Taking sugar out of my families diet!

I have been lurking here for a loooong time, love reading this forum, although I rarely post.
    Anyway, have just been reading the sugar thread and wow what an eye opener! I never knew most of the facts about sugar and what it does to the body. I really want to cut sugar out of our (me and my two kids) diet now...im addicted. Once i start eating high sugar foods i just cant stop. If i go into the cupboard for something chances are I'll grab a biscuit too. I really crave chocolate and junk and when I don't have any in the house it's like I'm on a mission to fill my cravings lol. My two year old son also seems to have a very big sweet tooth. He will constantly ask for chocolate, and I hate to admit it but he eats junky foods every day. His appetite also isn't that great-though I'm putting this down to a fussy stage, hopefully.
    Anyway, my qestions are; what's the best way to give up sugar? cut it out gradually or just go cold turkey kinda way and ban it all from the house? How far should I go with it? What about stuff such as ketchup, which has a little sugar in it? or a tin of baked beans? I've been looking at the food tins in the cupboard and I'm shocked to find most of them do contain sugar. Also, as crazy as this sounds as I know sugar is bad for you and they should eat healthy anyway but if I were to suddenly ban all things chocolatey and sugary from my kids I'd feel really really guilty...as mad as it sounds but I'd feel like I was depriving them of something lol which I know isn't true, but I can just imagine Tad's (my sons) face when he realized there was No More Chocolate, lol.
    Any ideas or advice would be great!
    Thanks in advance!
    Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined

Default Re: Taking sugar out of my families diet!

I have sun dried mango instead of sweets, I highly recommend it, don't suppose it would appease the kids though.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

tabitha

I suppose my advice would be as soon as things run out replace them with alternatives. Ive tried to do that, but because my kids are teenagers they notice and moan. The best example was peanut butter. We all love it., but I replaced the usual brand with some organic peanut butter which had no sugar or salt in and I thought it was delicious but the kids couldnt stand it. When I finally gave in and went back to the usual I found it disgusting and so did the kids - it was too sweet for them lol. Little victory

Can you please point me to that thread about sugar?

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812
    there you go

thanks for advice everyone-ive been replacing stuff as i go along and wow! i have even managed to stop having sugar in my tea (that's a big one for me!).

Oh and dried mangoes...after reading your post i bought some and they were sooooooo nice! can only afford one pkt a fortnight but better than nothing! my 11 month daughter also loves them-she's so different to her brother-he is a real fussy eater whilst she's just a girl who loves her food!

lucy

ps sorry for the bad punctuation polly is asleep on my knee so im typing one handed at the min!
    Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined

Oh! Get them dates! Medjool dates especially but they are sort of expensive so honey dates are the next best kind. Soo sweet, especially if you chop'em up and add to cereals (instead of the sugar). You can also eat them whole, stuff with some nuts (I recommend walnuts), and have for a treat/snack.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

My advice would be to cut down while you're kids are still young so they change their taste.My girls are 6 and nearly 8. They have a few sugary things but it doesn't form the main focus of their diet. I think as with everything, it's about balance. They have fruit "leather" type bars in their lunchbox and usually soya dessert. But also sanwiches and fruit. They already have to cope with being vegan around other kids at school, so I want them to have food they really enjoy and isn't too different from what their freinds have. Their school discourages having sweets in school anyway.
    I wouldn't advise banning anything because then it becomes like forbidden fruit and very apealing! Maybe you should encourage them to try new sugar free things and focus on how exciting that is rather than what you have taken away.
    Don't be too worried, perfect parents don't exist!