Thread: Honeymoon

Default Honeymoon

I wanted to know if anyone knows of any cool retreats/vacation spots/hotels or anything that would be great for a honey moon that might have cool vegan dining or environmentaly-friendly packages or anything like that. I've been looking for vegan/green honeymoon ideas but have thusfar come up empty. I need something in the US and I'd love for it to be closer to me around the south. I've only been able to find awesome-looking but expensive spas in Jamaica and the like.

(Plus, if anyone has any cool wedding ideas, I'd love to hear them)

Default Re: Honeymoon

Ooooo - are you getting married Sniv?

http://www.vegetariansabroad.com/sweetthymeinn.html

http://www.thewhitepig.com/rates.html

http://www.vegetariansabroad.com/wanderbird.html

http://www.peta.org/feat/bb/findYourWay.html#Duckett

Most place I have looked at - now and in the past - are usually bed and breakfasts. I gave a couple links of b&bs type places on the east coast for the most part, but theres a lot more scattered about the country.

This months edition of VegNews has a huge section on Weddings and what not - I would recommend reading it to get some ideas! They also had sample menus etc. from each wedding. It was pretty cool.

Congrats! (if you are getting married that is which I am assuming you are )
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Yes, Colin (twentyfivebuttons) and I are getting married August 5th. Thanks for all those links! I had looked at the white pig before actually.
    We finally settled on a place called Breitenbush in Oregon! It's a wonderful vegetarian (will do vegan food) retreat with yoga, hot springs, trails, and fun, interesting activities. It looks wonderful and I can't wait to go.

I'm trying to come up with more ideas food wise with the wedding. My mothers going to make a couple of vegan cakes, but I don't know what else to do. It's a very small wedding, probably not more than 20 guests, so I probably could go with some hot or more complicated food, but I think I just want some nice filling but snacky foods. I also want to have stuff that will impress the guests with vegan alternatives to stuff, or maybe I can do party favors with some stuff. I really have no idea right now.

congrats!!!!!

We are probably not getting married until the beginning of 2010, but we have already been discussing honeymoon ideas. This is the part we are most excited about I think, and are partly waiting so long so that we have all next year to save for it.

We are planning on going somewhere in Europe (I realize this is very broad). We want to go somewhere neither of us have been before (one or both of us have been to various places in the UK, Poland, Ireland, and Germany (although only Berlin)).
    I was wondering if you all had any suggestions. We are not basing our decision on this, but it would be nice if you knew of places that would be more vegan friendly than others as well. As far as languages, other than English, I speak enough French that I could communicate effectively, but that's all, so I know finding vegan food will be extra difficult if we are somewhere that doesn't speak one of these languages and has extremely limited vegan cuisine. Thanks!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Wow sniv I was certain I'd read loads of times that you were already married. I must be going mad.

(Unless you were married to someone else! )
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

sniv's messages are from a while ago, Marrers, so you're probably right!

fondducoeur, have you considered Greece as a destination? They don't tend to know what vegans are but quite a lot of the food is "naturally" vegan. English is often spoken. I'm afraid I can't recommend France as a vegan paradise, although Paris isn't too bad if you stick to veggie restaurants.

Or maybe some part of the UK you haven't been to before? There are some towns that are pretty vegan-friendly - Brighton? Edinburgh?

Ah, well spotted harpy! Not going mad then just blind!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

or perhaps I decided to divorce him and them remarry him!! Just for kicks.

^ Or for the cakes! Is this one of those blended threads that sometimes throws people a bit, then?

Yea, I hijacked an old thread. But it seemed appropriate.

Harpy-We have actually thought about Greece. Its somewhere Robbie really wants to go at some point or another. Thanks for the suggestion.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I've found Crete especially good as they grow a lot of vegetables there and are sometimes quite pleased to find that you want to make a meal of them! Some of the towns are very touristy though, and touristy restaurants are less good than the more authentic places, as they sometimes just serve grilled meat and fish.

ISTR there are, or were, one or two vegetarian hotels in Crete - don't know if they're still going and haven't been to them myself.