Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tom's of Maine purchased by Colgate-Palmolive Co.

Default Tom's of Maine purchased by Colgate-Palmolive Co.

My sister just sent this to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 21, 2006

Tom's of Maine purchased by Colgate-Palmolive Co.

NEW YORK - Consumer products maker Colgate-Palmolive Co. said Tuesday it agreed to purchase control of the privately-held Tom's of Maine, which makes "natural" toothpaste and other personal care products, for $100 million in cash.

The deal reflects Colgate's strategy of focusing on the higher-margin oral and personal care businesses.

Colgate said the deal for 84 percent of Tom's is expected to close in the second quarter. The Chappell family that founded Tom's of Maine will keep a 16 percent stake in the company. Colgate will have additional share purchase opportunities over the coming years.

The U.S. market for "natural" oral and personal care products is valued at $3 billion and is growing at 15 percent per year, Colgate said.

Tom's of Maine, founded in 1970 by Tom and Kate Chappell, pioneered natural toothpaste, mouthwash, and deodorant, and is a leading oral care brand in its category.

Reuben Mark, Colgate's chairman and CEO, said Tom Chappell will stay on to lead the company, which will remain based in Kennebunk, Maine.

Colgate, which makes Colgate toothpaste,Palmolive dishwashing liquid, Mennen deodorant and Irish Spring soap, expects the acquisition to be neutral to its 2006 profits and increasingly positive each year thereafter.

Colgate shares rose 60 cents to $57.60 in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://katu.com/stories/84301.html

http://www.arkonline.com/animal_test_companies.html
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

FR

Default Re: Tom's of Main purchased by Colgate-Palmolive Co.

Yeah, there goes another good, independent, natural comany swallowed up by a company that tests their products on innocent animals and uses animal by-products in their consumer goods.

I prefer Nature's Gate toothpaste anyway. Does anyone know if Nature's Gate is owned by an evil corporation, too?

feral

Aaw crap! Are they going to buy up the whole cruelty free market on us!

saucyvegan

Its coming to the point where im just gonna go live in a field and live au naturel!!! For gods sake....I cant buy Body Shop stuff now and I recently heard that some big animal abusing company have brought Green and Blacks!

I noticed that Tom's has become more widespread and has shown up even in mostly conventional stores. Maybe this explains why...

I'm glad that I'm using different oral care products!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Thank God I use Nature's Gate toothpaste because it's cheaper!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Gaaaaah - Now what am I sposed to use for a deodorant?
    They may be a bit chemically, but it works brilliantly.

If I start getting a bit smelly, you know who to blame.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote FR
    Yeah, there goes another good, independent, natural comany swallowed up by a company that tests their products on innocent animals and uses animal by-products in their consumer goods.
    It really upsets me that the independent natural companies agree to become part of such awful giant companies It seems completely hypocritical! If you're the founder/owner of a natural company that is openly opposed to animal testing and everything that big companies stand for, why would you want to join one of the big companies??? I just don't understand! Money and greed corrupt, I guess...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Exactly.

Quote Bodybuilder
    . The Chappell family that founded Tom's of Maine will keep a 16 percent stake in the company. Tom Chappell will stay on to lead the company,]
    Don't ignore these two facts. It doesn't mean that these products will end up being tested on animals/contain animal products.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Right, but Colgate-Palmolive will still get financial profit from Tom's products and I don't want to support that!
    ~John Wooden

Pretty soon I'll be making my own toothpaste just to be safe.

arrrrgggghhhh....runs accross room pulling hair and crying loudly.....

Willow....Well, technically, yes, and some big companies are worse than others but eventually most smaller companies get bought out. It's a hard one because if we all stop buying those products, the bigger companies will shut down that part.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote RedWellies
    eventually most smaller companies get bought out.
    That's what upsets me...that the CEO's of the smaller companies allow it!

Quote RedWellies
    It's a hard one because if we all stop buying those products, the bigger companies will shut down that part.
    A better thing would be for the smaller company to break apart and become independent again...but, I'm afraid economics don't work that way in reality, and you're right, the bigger company will shut the down that part and the smaller company will vanish. Sigh...
    ~John Wooden

Quote Tigerlily
    Thank God I use Nature's Gate toothpaste because it's cheaper!
    I like Nature's Gate, the kind I bought taste like black licorice.
    ▼Laurin▼

feral

Quote RedWellies
    It's a hard one because if we all stop buying those products, the bigger companies will shut down that part.
    On the other hand if they shut the natural/cruelty free part down it leaves room on the market for small ethical companies to come onto the market.

Saucy can I come and live in that field with you, we could make toothpaste out of grass?

Quote laurin
    I have the Wintermint one. Yummy!

You know I was using home made stuff for the longest time, but I switched to Tom's for convenience and to support a cruelty-free company. Now what? I need to look for that Ntaure's Gate I guess. Any other brand suggestions?

Quote PercysLion
    Any other brand suggestions?
    Have a look at the Toothpaste thread.

saucyvegan

Quote feral
    On the other hand if they shut the natural/cruelty free part down it leaves room on the market for small ethical companies to come onto the market.

Saucy can I come and live in that field with you, we could make toothpaste out of grass?
    Yes. Im thinking we can live in a wigwam and live happily ever after!

FR

Quote laurin
    Wow, I've never tried that one. I love black licorice, I'd love to try it. Is it called black licorice flavor? I use the peppermint flavor at the moment.

Blueshark

Hmm - I think there is another side to this story which you have all missed. Surely the purchase of a natural, ethical company is move in the right direction for a mammoth company such as Colgate?

Better that than purchasing a labour factory in the far east.

The CEO of Toms, will stay on, thus the company will effectively be the same.

I think company ethics is always a minefield, but I try not to think in terms of 'good' and 'bad' companies.

I very much doubt that Colgate made the purchase because "it's in the right direction," though you can look at it as being accidentally in the right direction (just like there are things that are accidentally vegan). The problem I see is that it's more likely that the big company will influence the small company (in a bad way), rather than the small company influencing the big (in a good way).
    ~John Wooden

Blueshark

Perhaps you are probably right.
    I am not sure of all the terrible things Colgate has done, however I do know, that companies are composed of people and people are not intrinicsically bad, even though we may like to think so.

If you believe that the power of the good is mighty, then it doesnt matter the Tom's is 'small', its influence will be big. That is what I believe.

I agree that people are not intrinsically bad and I choose to see the best in people and events (though sometimes it requires conscious effort). I guess I'm not being very positive in this case...

I truly do hope that you are right, Blueshark, and that the goodness of Tom's will have a big influence on Colgate. Now that would make me very happy
    ~John Wooden

FR

Colgate purchased Tom's because they're greedy and want to have their filthy hands in the natural product boom. Tom's agreed because 100 million is an awful lot of money to turn down with the option of still holding a share within the company. I don't think Tom's will test on animals, but their parent company will.

I wonder who makes Trader Joe's toothpaste because it is animal product free, cruelty free, and sells for $1.99.

Blueshark

So Colgate are greedy and Toms are savvy....right..

FR

Well, it can be applied to both. Seriously, though, Tom's is a company, and they do use animal products (propolis) in some of their products so selling out doesn't surprise me.

I do use their deodorant. I will have to try J.A.S.O.N or something else vegan. I'm not worried about the toothpaste as I've already mentioned, I use Nature's Gate.

I've never liked Tom's soap but their mouthwash was good.

Blueshark

No your logic is wrong. Just because they use animal products doesnt mean they are weak to 'selling out''.

The company will have a 'mission' like most companies of worth do. This will be in contrast to the 'default mission' i.e. make as much profit as possible.

As long as Tom's mission remains the same, so should the products.

Quote Blueshark
    I agree Blueshark, I did try and point this out earlier...
    - Theodore Roosevelt

FR

Quote Blueshark
    No your logic is wrong. Just because they use animal products doesnt mean they are weak to 'selling out''.

The company will have a 'mission' like most companies of worth do. This will be in contrast to the 'default mission' i.e. make as much profit as possible.

Blue, I tend to think Tom's mission has always been profit driven. Who is to say they are an ethical company at heart and not a company who wanted to bank quite nicely from offering a product they knew a market existed for and sales would increase on an annual basis? If they use animal products in some of their products, they can't care much for animals, no? If they are an ethical company at heart, they would not have sold out to Colgate. I think my logic is spot and you're entitled to your opinion. Blue, I respect your view.

All companies want to make money and all companies are profit driven. If they weren't, they wouldn't charge for their products.

Also, don't you use Silk soy milk, FR? They are owned by a mega dairy company...

Blueshark

Check out the founders explanation

'The agreement we have worked out succeeds in preserving the character, spirit, and values of our company as we grow.'

'We will continue to make products without artificial preservatives, sweeteners, or dyes and without animal testing or animal ingredients.'

Tom's of Maine is not all that "natural" anyway - read their labels and you'll see what I mean. I used their tooth paste for a while, but I'm sensitive too Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (a cheap detergent comonly used in toothpaste, shampoos etc.), so I switched to another brand and I'm much better.

It says a lot about Both Body Shop and Tom's of Maine's integrity when they're are now selling out to huge businees with questionable etchical practizes. I wish I had never supported them in the first place. They stink.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Quote Blueshark

'We will continue to make products without artificial preservatives, sweeteners, or dyes and without animal testing or animal ingredients.'
    Hm, yeah, I wonder for how long? As soon as the original owner decide to step out of the picture, I'm sure Palmolive-Colgate do whatever they want. This is all about greed, nothing else.

FR

Quote Tigerlily
    All companies want to make money and all companies are profit driven. If they weren't, they wouldn't charge for their products.

Also, don't you use Silk soy milk, FR? They are owned by a mega dairy company...
    Tom's was already making money, so that couldn't have been a concern. Throwing 100 million in an independent companies face is a hard thing to turn down and I believe that is why they sold out. I can't see them being concerned with Colgate using animal products and abusing animals because they themselves use animal products.

Yes, I drink Silk as do a bazillion other vegans because it is the best soymilk on the market, that's not even debatable. Silk is 100% vegan, and unlike Tom's doesn't use animal products in their product line. I have no problem with people who still choose to use Tom's, but as you see there are quite a few folks who are pissed about their move. I think Silk selling out to Dean Foods sucked. However, I do know that Dean Foods has given them one hell of a push and that is a good thing. Years ago, I did not see Silk soymilk everywhere, now I do. Dean Foods is also pushing Silk in schools, and that is by far an excellent move.

Tom's is already available nearly everywhere, and has been for some time so this move isn't going to help them anymore than staying independent would have.

FR

Saying they use no animal products is another thing that I do not like about Tom's. They do use them. I guess they aren't quite educated when it comes to the whole insects are animals thing.

Blueshark

Quote kriz
    This is all about greed, nothing else.
    Greed is overrated

Do you think intelligent people fall for such a personality weakness....?

I do buy Silk creamer, though, only because there are no other soy creamers out there, at least I haven't been successful finding one. There was a brand a few years back, which had amazing tasting coffe creamer, but it mysteriously disappeared after Silk became huge.

Quote Blueshark
    Greed is overrated

Do you think intelligent people fall for such a personality weakness....?
    Looks like everyone is falling these days...

The little companies can't resist the cash. There used to be a great product in Australian called Vitari. It's a sorbet type thing made from 100% fruit. Nestle bought them out and immediately added soy extracts and sugar and there was a definite drop in taste. Now it's disappeared from supermarket shelves. Funny that.

Quick question for anyone who uses/used Tom's.

I have 2 tubes of toothpaste and bought them because they were listed with no animal products and no testing. Loved the stuff for the first 2 weeks.

My lips have started to peel and are so dry. Has anyone else had this problem? If so did you switch to a brand that doesn't do this?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

Default Re: How do you feel today?

I've read the thread and feel the same as RedWellies on the subject.
    It was stated that 'The US market for 'Natural' oral and personal care products is growing at 15% per year' well if this is the case shouldn't we be encouraging the 'bad' companies to get involved in this. Wouldn't it mean that through time all of these products would be 'natural' and cruelty free? If there is a demand for them their productivity will increase, but if we only boycott these companies who want to get involved in cruelty free products, they will decline, and we are back to square one.
    I believe if a company is producing a product that is 'vegan' it should be encouraged to do so, only then will it see that there are more benefits in this than they may have at first thought.

Default Re: Tom's of Maine purchased by Colgate-Palmolive Co.

I see your point, Sandra.....but for me personally, it's a matter of not wanting to give my money to a company that tests on animals. Colgate-Palmolive do that and I'd prefer to give my money to the smaller companies, who really are making an effort to do the right thing.

The same thing happened with Green & Blacks and Ben & Jerrys.

The smaller companies are all getting bought out by the multis because they want piece of the 'niche market pie'

I know and I don't like it!

I need to add also, that where I live, I have numerous other options to purchase vegan toothpaste. Where Sandra lives, it might be a lot different. She may not have access to other vegan brands.

I don't think it's just that the big companies are trying to get a share of niche markets, although it's partly that. Big consumer products manufacturers now see "green" and related concerns as growing concerns for their customers, and so they sometimes purchase these small companies in order to learn lessons that they may in future extend to their other products. Yes, they're only in it for the money, but if they find that they can make money by doing things in "greener" ways they will, up to a point anyway.

Whether you go on buying from the companies that are bought up in these circs is a personal choice, but I think there's a case to be made for it. The "reach" of these companies is much bigger than those of the small niche players so if they clean up their act even a bit then the effect could be significant.

Hate to tell you this Harpy,
    in the local paper the other day - not more than a couple of years since L'oreal bought out the Body Shop - it was announced that since the takeover, the factory (which had been bought separately by a bunch of corporate asset strippers) had been making products for Unilever, Colgate Palmolive, etc.

Now this same bunch of asset strippers have announced that they are shutting down the Littlehampton factory and setting up production elsewhere.

Sandra, you're in NI, so you should be OK. Especially if you're near Belfast.

Not good

Thanks Corum, but can anyone tell me the names of toothpaste that are vegan as the only ones I know have to be ordered via the internet?
    I understand the way everyone feels about these big companies, I feel the same way, but maybe because of my experience with life in Northern Ireland I take a different view.
    Growing up over here, I was always frustrated by the politicians saying they wouldn't talk to one group of people or another because of their beliefs and activities. I used to say, 'Unless you talk to each other, nothing will ever change!' Indeed, it wasn't until the hardline people began to 'talk' to each other that progress was made.
    We had to make decisions over here that people on both sides of the conflict were not happy with in order to achieve what we wanted....peace.
    I voted for an agreement that allowed political prisoners to go free, even though they had committed terrible acts of murder etc. I and many others weren't happy with this, but it was a means to justify an end.
    This perhaps is why I view these companies differently to others. I feel if they see there is a good market for cruelty free products that will encourage them to pursue things this way. If they don't see a market for it they will not get involved in it. Either way, I feel any step in the right direction should be encouraged, sadly I feel boycotting just does not work effectively enough. Supporting smaller companies is fine but look what a lot of those companies end up doing........selling out to the larger companies, as has already been stated.
    So, my position is that I would not use products that have been tested on animals or contain animal ingredients but I am not against buying products from these larger companies as long as the products themselves are cruelty free.
    Sorry for the rant about life in Northern Ireland!
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 23rd, 2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: other toothpaste suggestions can be found in http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330