Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Default Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

From the sounds of it, Tina, Tigerlily and I are all about the same height and weight.

Tigerlily - I've been going through a similar thing as you, where I was finding I just had no control when it came to sweets and junk food and bad carbs

For me, one of the only ways around it, is to count my calories every day, and enter all the food I consume into fitday. This makes me realise exactly what I'm eating and exactly how easy it is for me to consume too much fat. It also gives me the opportunity to look at where I'm seriously lacking in nutrients and think about what I can do to remedy that.

Lots of people don't agree with counting calories, so I can only say that it's something that works for me. Have you tried doing it before? It might work for you.

Well, today my day wasn't so bad I guess - except for the fact that I once again didn't achieve any of the RDA's for any of the vitamins or minerals.

Foxy - do you ever check out the reports section on fitday and if so, do you find you are achieving any of the RDA's?

Today I ate:

1636 calories
    26% of those was fat (well it would have been less if I had realised that vegenaise has a whopping 9g of fat per tablespoon, BEFORE I ate it!!)
    245g carbs
    66g protein

I still need to be eating more fresh stuff.

Quote Roxy
    From the sounds of it, Tina, Tigerlily and I are all about the same height and weight.
    Count me in, I am about that height/weight too. If we lived closer, do you think we could share clothes?

We could be the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

LOL Roxy

I went to my roommate's friend's house for supper tonight, and he made me a vegan dinner! He made beef enchiladas for everyone, but mine had no cheese and no beef, and the tortillas were vegan!

He also had a scale in his washroom, so I snuck a peak, and I've lost 2 lbs! Of course, it could just seem like that, because the last time I weighed myself was on a different scale, and in my experience, no 2 scales are identical.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

LOL the sisterhood of traveling pants.

its silly because i often get very upset saying i dont think im beautiful and that i feel fat, and yet i think tigerlily and roxy are both 2 of the most beautiful women ive met, so if we are all similar in size, i really should stop putting myself down.

ive never seen wildflower, but im sure shes beautiful too!

today i ate gluten that means probably pounds gained by tommorow. sigh.

today:

lunch:
    -2 tacos
    dinner:
    -2 veggie burritos
    -mexi fries
    -2 dr peppers
    dessert:
    -low fat blueberry muffin

oh dear god.

that was almost 2000 calories. i havent eaten that much in a long time. :S

i may have to do a workout before i go to bed lol. i suppose ill count this as a cheat day but i have a feeling it wont be the only cheat day i have. probably saturday ill eat alot aswell. i suppose its okay since its easter weekend holidays always call for extra food.

ill probably have gained like 3 pounds from today 8-) arghhh.

although i only got 1900 mg of sodium, when youre not supposed to get over 2500. so hopefully the water i gain from eating gluten will go away quickly.

i also had a walk today.

roxy, the vitamins/minerals i usually dont get enough of are vitamin e, vitamin k, vitamin d (i take a supplement for this though), zinc, selenium, calcium and phosphorus. i get enough of everything else though.

i take a supplement (2 a day) with calcium, zinc, vitamin d and magnesium, and then a multivitamin aswell. i would get more of those if i ate nuts/seeds but i never do! i should probably start eating trail mix. i know nuts/seeds are high in most of those vitamins/minerals.

i usually reach alot of those when i have soy milk, but i cant afford to buy it all the time! soymilk really helps me out though.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Roxy

Tigerlily - I've been going through a similar thing as you, where I was finding I just had no control when it came to sweets and junk food and bad carbs

For me, one of the only ways around it, is to count my calories every day, and enter all the food I consume into fitday. This makes me realise exactly what I'm eating and exactly how easy it is for me to consume too much fat. It also gives me the opportunity to look at where I'm seriously lacking in nutrients and think about what I can do to remedy that.

Lots of people don't agree with counting calories, so I can only say that it's something that works for me. Have you tried doing it before? It might work for you.
    I never tried counting calories but I did used to go to Weight Watchers which is similar (you count points instead of calories--much easier). I might want to try it again. I'm a free Weight Watchers member and I know the system in and out. But you know, it's so boring. I think I might start up again with the WW plan again, I will go to the Wednesday meeting to re-motivate!

My main problem is exercise. I can't seem to get motivated for that. Going out for a walk means putting on a bra, changing out of my ratty pajamas, putting on shoes, and trying to walk in an area with easy washroom access. I wish you guys leaved near me, we could walk together!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Hello

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time Tigerlily. I seem to be managing to eat reasonably healthily and a bit less. I need to drink more water!! I have bought some organic orange squash which I'm hoping will help it taste a bit better. Went for a 45min walk in the woods with hubby and the dogs today which was lovely - the sun was shining, the wind dropped and it actually got quite warm.

Am taking my mum out to lunch and for a wander round the shops tommorrow. We are going to my favourite vege cafe where they do a great vege burger and fruit smoothie!!

Am planning on starting to get up early on Tuesdays and Thursdays before hubby goes to work and running around the field across from our house with the dogs - we get exercise, dogs get exercise, we also get fresh air and it should wake me up for the day! Trouble is I hate getting up early it makes me want to cry so we will have to see how it goes!

Monday xx

Quote Roxy
    We could be the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
    I didn't see that movie, or read that book so I am in the dark!

It sounds cool though!

See the movie, Wildflower Then you'll get it

Today I ate quite a few high calorie foods such as my cheesy tofu on breadroll for breakfast, but by eating that I found I wasn't starving hungry by mid morning like I usually am. Probably because it had a high protein content.

But I feel like it was a good day though. I don't feel bad about the high amount of cals because I was run off my feet at work all day, so I probably needed the energy.

1838 cals
    19% fat
    319g carbs
    67g protein

I also met my RDA for Vitamin A and Vitamin C and I almost did it for my iron too!

wow good job roxy! thats awesome

i think ill start recording how you do!

today was my other cheat day. i decided to have two this weekend.

honestly, i dont want to know what i got today lol.

today:

dinner:
    -curried shangai rice noodles
    -tomato fried rice
    -6 spring rolls
    -2 glasses coke
    dessert:
    -almost a whole rice crisp tropical source chocolate bar (steev DID get me this!) except 2 peices lol.

okay lol. i ate alot of chinese food. ugh.

oh and i gained a pound from what i ate yesterday. but thats not too bad as im sure its just water weight

okay, apparently this is what i got. i suppose it was worth it!:

2431 calories
    19% fat
    455 grams carbohydrates (holy crap lol)
    22 grams of fiber
    54 grams of protein

well thats just dandy.

i best be working out tommorow lol.

Today I had cereal for breakfast instead of a bagel smothered in cream cheese or a coffee with cookies! Looking good so far! :P

great job tigerlily!

tabitha

I saw G.I. Jane the other day with Demi Moore - has anyone ever seen it? I love that film. I watch it whenever I feel fat or weak lol. Anyways she does one armed pressups in it and I have been practicing for ages and I can now do 4!! Its taken me AGES to even get THAT far. The most 2 armed press ups I have ever done is about 80, but at the moment its way back down at 40 as my back is a bit weak at the moment.

ive never seen that movie tabitha but it sounds inspiring!

tabitha

Go get it Foxy....NOW!!!

I had a healthy lunch too! Chickpea and tomato salad, bowl of creamy potato soup (only 2 tbsps olive oil in the WHOLE pot and soy milk was used to make it creamy--much healthier and lower in calories than the traditional omni creamy potato soup, I think). So happy!

wow good job tigerlily

so far today i had the rest of my chinese food, 2 cups of coffee and 3/4 cup of chocolate soy milk.

i also got in a walk.

Yogini

OK, I'm new to this thread.

Today I had pancakes for breakfast and cream of potato soup for dinner. I generally only eat two proper meals per day, then snacks as needed. I'll probably have some grapes in a bit. According to Fitday.com, what I ate constitues 1784 calories. I've burned 2467 (I'm a big girl and big people burn more calories because we have more to move around.) I try to eat 500 fewer calories per day than I burn, so I get 183 calories worth of grapes. That's maybe 1 1/4 cups?

I did about 45 minutes of yoga. I don't think I'll have time to exercise tomorrow, so Monday I'll do intervals of walkaerobics/weight training.

Today I had:

1631 calories
    23% fat
    264 carbs
    65g protein

Not as much fresh foods as I would've liked though. Sadly, because of this, I didn't meet any of my nutritional requirements. Maybe I need to think about a supplement OR I need to work on eating fresher.

today:

lunch:
    -rest of chinese food
    -3/4 of chocolate soy milk
    -2 cups coffee
    snack:
    -slushie
    -vegan chocolates from my sister for easter
    dinner:
    -brown rice pasta w/ sauce, nut. yeast, spices, chickpeas, mushrooms

probably will also have a few ciders

okay so i probably had about 12 or 1300 calories in food, and i dont even wanna know how much in the slushie or alcohol.

i had half of a 2 litre of cider.

i also ended up walking twice, pretty briskly, each for probably 30 minutes. the joys of not having a license. lol.

The last few days I splurged a little bit, allthough I was tryng to eat healthy.

I was trying to take vacation Friday, but work people kept calling me at home PLUS I didn't finish something I really need to do for work, so i will most likely do that today. My boyfriend is off school for Easter Break, so he was home and we went out to lunch Friday, and we have been grilling and having friends over the last 2 nights.

I did eat a lot of grilled veggies, that were brushed with olive oil. I also had a few drinks Friday and Saturday, and ate guacamole and nuts both days. I was concious of getting protien with my yummy grilled veggies (Tofurky sausage one day and tofu the next).

I feel like I ate a lot of fat yesterday, and this morning my skin is glowing something fabulous!

Talking Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Oh yes, also, I am in search of high protein, lower calorie soy-free foods. I am guessing others may be interested, so i will post as I find them. I bought this combo Friday and had it for breakfast this morning to help clear out from my arteries all the fat out I ate! LOL! Oh, the good news is, I also have continuted to lose a few pounds, and this morning when I weighed I was another .5lb lighter! woohooo...I go up/down a lot from water weight, but I have kept down about 3-4 lbs for the last 2 or so weeks, so I think it is real. Also, my fingers are a bit swollen, so I am wondering if I may weight a little less than that if I flush all this fluid out!

So, this morning I had 1/4 cup Oat Bran (120 calories, 3 grams fat, 6 grams protein, 6 grams fiber (3 soluable)). I cooked this and then stirred in 2 T Ground Flax Seed Meal (60 calories, 4.5 grams fat, 4 grams fiber, 3 grams protein) and some strawberries and vanilla almond milk.

Also, i was going to say...I think Roxy and Tina you were saying you do not get enough vitamin E. Have you guys tried almond milk? 1 cup has 50% of your daily vitamin E along with 20% calcium, 10% vitamin A, 10& phosphorus, 25% Vitamin D, 4% magnesium and 2% iron. I personally really like almond milk better than soymilk, but it doesn't have any protein (well, 1 gram per cup). Also, it is a bit more expensive, but that may vary by where you live. Soybeans grow everywhere here, but it is too cold for nut tress.

Anyway, thought I would throw that out. I used to drink it a lot, and I am going to start having it again.

Thanks for that tip Wildflower I tried Almond milk once and I really liked it.....but for some reason I thought it was quite high in fat. I'll take another look when I go grocery shopping (probably not until next week). They sell the Blue Diamond Almond Milk, where I go shopping. They have the plain flavour and the chocolate flavour.

whats the easiest way for a vegan to loose weight? I guess we cant through food coz our diets healthy anyway. Darn suppose exercise is one method...an theres people that already joke a vegan is deprived enough anyway through diet, that exercise is not completely vital for us.

exercise is vital for every living creature!

our diets may be healthy, but they need to be lower calorie in order to lose weight. if you down your calories and exercise more, youll definitely lose weight.

well, ive gained back the 5 pounds i lost all week this weekend. i know, i know, its not real weight. its water weight. damn all the food i had that i shouldnt have had.

Quote Roxy
    Thanks for that tip Wildflower I tried Almond milk once and I really liked it.....but for some reason I thought it was quite high in fat. I'll take another look when I go grocery shopping (probably not until next week). They sell the Blue Diamond Almond Milk, where I go shopping. They have the plain flavour and the chocolate flavour.
    the vanilla almond milk I buy has 90 calories and 2.5g of fat per 1 cup. That is less than the soymilk I buy - Silk has 100 calories and 3.5g of fat.

I buy Dlue Diamond too, Almond Breeze, in vanilla or chocolate.

argh.

well. today was another shit day. steev says its okay because it was the holidays, but i say its not because im extremely hard on myself. i feel so depressed.

today:

lunch:
    -fries
    -2 veggie burgers
    dinner:
    -1/2 bowl corn chowder

lots of water

Is that all you ate?

Don't be so hard on yourself Tina, you honestly didn't eat very much.

Someone told me recently that with food you just need to go one day at at time. For example, you may not be allowing yourself junk food today, but that doesn't mean that you will never have it. On the reverse side, you may have eaten crap today, but that doesn't mean you always will. Eating is day by day, and every day you get a new start.

I understand how hard it is with food. I suffered from anorexia in the past, and I still have problems with food. I always feel now that i HAVE to eat, and i have to get all the right food in, and I probably eat too much because of it. I can't get it right, ya know?

But in the end, it is only food, and every day is another chance at getting it right.

hugs to you Tina (((tina))). hope that tomorrow is a better day...

wow wildflower that actually helped me alot. thanks so much i suddenly have a new found realization that its not as bad as i thought it was and that itll be okay. thanks!!!

yes that is all i ate but it was ALOT of calories for such a small amount of food.

okay so i tallied that up and this is what it came to, if i also have a kiwi and 1/2 cup soy milk before bed:

1271 calories
    33% fat
    21 grams fiber
    53 grams of protein

i guess thats okay. i got most of my minerals and vitamins but not some of them. not enough fresh food today at all.

Glad I could help and I am even happier that you are feeling better!

Didn't do as bad as i thought i might over the long weekend. Ate really well (although ate out a few times).
    and was quite active spent a day on the bike (which is actually really hard work). Drank loads of alcohol - probably 25 pints of larger in three days (whats the calories on that ??)

swam again today, got renewed enthusiasm, summers on the way
    I dont get crunchy people?

Okay, my day off counting calories for last week was Sunday. My day off for counting calories this week, was yesterday (Monday). I wasn't going to have 2 days off in a row, but we ended up going out yesterday and although I ate healthily (at 2 different vegetarian restaurants), I probably ate quite a lot.

So now I have to be good for at least the next 6 days before I can have another day off

My weekend was shot to sh!t too. I went on a 2 day trip to Kona and shared a hotel room with 3 other people, so I didn't do any exercises Friday or Saturday. And all 3 of my friends are meat eaters, so we always ate in omni restaurants. I had a veggie burrito with a side of beans for lunch and fries for supper on Friday, and on Saturday I had a fruit plate for breakfast and we went to Wendy's for lunch . I had a decent garden salad and a plain baked potato. Then when we got home on Saturday, I discovered that my chocolate from Vegan Essentials had arrived, so I tucked right in . Then on Sunday my neighbour brought over ANOTHER box of Vegan Essentials chocolate that had been delivered to her apartment by mistake (I wasn't supposed to have both boxes of chocolate - check out the Chocoholics thread for the full story ). So I tucked in again, and felt like CRAP after .

I finally started to get back on track yesterday. I did 250 situps/reverse crunches in the morning and ate decent food all day (except for the veggie burger and oven fries for supper ). I had been planning all day on eating a Vegan Essentials chocolate bar after supper, but then I brushed my teeth without even thinking about it! So I decided not to have the chocolate bar after all .

I was very tired last night, so I considered skipping my exercises. But then I decided that rather than skip them altogether, I might as well do as many as I can. So I did 50 situps and 10 reverse crunches. Better than nothing I guess.

Today I'm determined to do all my exercises (I did 250 this morning, and I'm planning on doing the other 250 tonight). I'm eating somewhat healthy today too:

Breakfast: organic oatmeal with a sliced organic banana on top instead of sugar.

Lunch:
    a Wha Guru Chew
    2/3 of a Cloud Nine coconut chocolate bar
    3 organic carrots and 1 cup organic cauliflower with dip
    1 cup Amy's black bean chili
    1 whole wheat bun with earthbalance
    organic mango applesauce cup
    2 organic bananas (now only one left to eat before it goes bad LOL)

Supper: not sure yet, but it's going to be healthy. Maybe some tomato soup and more carrot sticks (with limited dip lol)

That should get me up to 6 servings of veggies (though 4 of those servings are carrots, so I'll need to work on variety)

I think I'll try to do the rest of my situps early tonight so I don't end up being tired and not wanting to do them. It was my roommate's fault lol, she made me mad with her hypocrisy (read more in the "You just don't get it" thread ) and I forgot to do my exercises until it was too late!

believe me roxy, i had a whole weekend of not counting, i think i should just do good for a few weeks before having another one off lol.

today i ate a good lunch. i made brown rice and topped it with schezwan kale and chickpeas. mmmm it was really good.

WOW that lunch sounds great Tina! How do you make schezwan kale . I'm thinking you should post the recipe for that over in the Recipe subforum

i have posted my schezwan green beans recipe before but noone cared LOL.

so i just used that and used kale and chickpeas instead.

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...an+green+beans

I was down in the dumps today and I only ate 796 calories. That's probably okay though, because I didn't really exert any physical energy. I didn't even leave the apartment.

Good thing tomorrow is a new day

I made brownies. i should not have done that haha.

it's totally that time of the month so i blame that.

i did go to the gym sat and yesterday. Will try to go tomorrow if i can ever get to bed.
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Wow, I sure screwed up tonight

I had 2 Cloud Nine chocolate bars, a bowl of chips, and a can of soda for supper . Needless to say, I feel like SH!T right now. It's 10:25 and I usually go to bed at 10:00. I'm sooo tired and don't want to do my situps and reverse crunches. I'll just do a few, it's better than nothing

its okay yoggy. your diet doesnt have to be good every day!

today:

lunch:
    -brown rice topped w/ shezwan kale and chickpeas
    dinner:
    -corn chowder

i also had some pizza with steev but i got very sick from it and threw up. i think i might have a stomach bug so i didnt bother counting it.

i went for a walk today aswell.

Well my plan went out the window as I started feeling sick in the night on Sunday night, woke up still feeling bad Monday morning and just got worse as the day went on stomach pains, sickness, headache and my whole body ached. I felt terrible and just slept. I ate next to nothing too - so good on the losing weight front!!

Felt really down yesterday and still had a sore stomach so was very inactive, did very little revision for my exams and did very little round the house. Only ate a little and managed to walk round the field with the dogs. Feeling a bit better today. have managed to do some revision - I hate it and am sick of it, keep telling myself that there is only five weeks left and it is all over (the end of my 3 year degree!). then I can get on with real life and do all the stuff I want to. Although I am scared of getting depressed and sinking again.

Anyway the illness put paid to my getting up early yesterday and going running!! Am going to try and do it tommorrow!! Am still not eating a great deal as can't face it but hubby has made a lovely vege cottage pie which has lots of good stuff in it and it is huge so there is enough for a good few days!

Well done to everyone for trying and don't worry about the odd slip up, overall you are all doing great.

Monday xx

I wanted to start my Weight Watchers again but it's stormy and hurricane-like outside! I wonder if the meeting will be open...I have an exam tonight now. Yikes.

I registered for the Belly Dancer's of Color Association's Memorial day seminars today! I'm really trying to stay dedicated to dance despite the issues in my current company.

I'm also going to start back to the gym today. I finally sat down and hammered out a lifting routine and today will be day 1 of super dedication!

I ate lots today but I'm not worried about it, because I yesterday I had less than 800 calories, plus I had my Yoga class tonight and did some heavy lifting at work today.

So.....

1927 calories (thank you pasta meal)
    20% fat
    308 carbs
    82g of protein

I also got 3 times my RDA for vitamin C!!

yay good job roxy!

today:

dinner:
    -schezwan green beans
    -big bowl of brown rice pasta w/ sauce, spices, nut. yeast and v. bacon bits
    -cup of chocolate soy milk
    snack:
    -a few candies from my easter basket

i dont know how many calories or whatever that was. im planning on having more food.

to add:

-banana pancakes. a couple with chocolate chips aswell. some with peanut butter or jam on top.

Geoff

If you follow Dr John McDougall's advice you don't need to count calories.
    I didn't exercise for four weeks after surgery and didn't gain a gram.

I'm starting Weight Watcher's Core plan. It's like a whole foods diet but with a little more structure (like I can't more than one serving of potatoes a day or no more than a serving of puffed wheat a day---but I can have all the soy cheese I need, strangely enough). It's free (as I'm a lifetime member), so I'm going to give it another shot.

It's not rainy today! I might walk up to the bank to check my balance and buy some groceries (I need some more beans, some tofu, soy cheese, and fruit and veggies).