Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Talking Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

i thought i would start a thread where we all got fit together, and were eachothers fitness buddies, inspired from bodybuilders "spring shape up" thread, although this one wont be so tough, or have prizes. really its just for our own sake, and i thought what better place to recieve support than from eachother?

really i just want to get fit, healthy, strengthen my lungs and lose some excess weight.

we can all have our own personal plans, regarding on your goal. you can post in here to recieve support. wether youre having a bad day, or youre doing great!

some people may have different nutrition goals, some may have different fitness goals.

these are mine:

i would like to lose excess weight, as i know its bad for my asthma, and health.

i would like to get fit and become strong, and not tire out as easily from simple things.

i would like to strengthen my lungs especially, and my heart and everything else that comes along with it.

i would like to feed my body the most beneficial food i can afford, and give it the best care i can, as i know it deserves it.

heres my meal plan:

i would like to eat 1200-1500 calories a day, getting enough fiber, and 50 grams or more of protein a day.

i would also like to stay away from refined carbs, like white flour or sugar.

i would like to eat as many whole foods as i can. probably around 2 fruits a day, as many veggies as i can, brown rice, lots of lentils/beans, some tofu and soy products, light on the oils and start eating more nuts/seeds. and also not eat for a few hours before i go to sleep.

i would like to up my intake of raw foods.

and i also think ill allow myself one day on the weekend where i allow myself to eat whatever i want. sort of a "cheat" day. i find it helps me to keep focused on healthy eating the rest of the week and not mess up.

i would like to drink 2 litres of water a day.

but i wont be angry with myself if i dont stick to this everyday, as im sure ill vary it from time to time.

this is my fitness plan:

i would like to get some form of exercise 3-5 times a week, for 20 minutes each time. (i cant handle much more than this due to my asthma) hopefully alot of walking and my exercise videos.

i feel that this is a GREAT time to start, as the flowers are sprouting, the sun is starting to shine and fresh fruits and veggies are out in abundance. (not to mention i will soon live with only my bf, and now have more room to do things)

so who is in with me? we can make it sort of a time limit thing, where we can see where were at in a month, or we can just keep it casual and keep going and keep eachother strong.

feel free to post any rants or raves you may have that day if you messed up or didnt workout, etc. this is a supportive thread!

so anyone who wants to join, maybe post your goals, your meal plan, your exercise plan, and then we'll get started!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Tiggerwoo

Default Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Brilliant thread...

OK mine are:

I want to get my health back to what it used to be and get rid of my sinus and ear probs so I feel up to going swimming and to yoga again... haven't felt well enough for a month

I want to get up early enough in the morning at least four times a week and go for a walk down the river opposite my house before work

I want to eat more fruit each day. I usually have a couple of pieces, yet eat loads of veggies so thats not a problem

I want to sleep for 8 hours a day, and not 10 or 11 like I have been recently as that seems to be making me more tired.

Think thats it for now!

great goals tiggerwoo!

Ooh this thread sounds great, i've been thinking about becoming fitter for a while. I went swimming last week for about the first time in two years and realised just how unfit i've become! (i used to be able to swim for aaages).

So, my goals are -

To go swimming twice a week, and to go to the gym at least once a week and archery at least once a week. Walk for 20 mins at least every day.

Stop eating so many things with sugar in them! Eat more fruits, stop frying my veggies all the time and cut back on white bread and muffins/crumpets etc.

Drink two litres of water at least!

That will do for now
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

prilly-pie

i want to lose 4 stone in the process of becoming fitter-i want to increase my endurance, muscle tone and get great abs again... ermmm oh and i want to be really flexible like a ballerina and do yoga- though i know that that will come with weight loss. And i want to sotp eating crap- it makes me feel awful emotionally and physically so whats the use! xxx

tabitha

Good idea girls. Lets all do it. I still havent got back into my training schedule but these are my goals:

Cut out bread and yeast products
    Juice more
    Eat more leafy green veg
    Get back training at least 4 times a week
    Increase weight training.
    Probably drop half a stone (no more otherwise me boobs will go again)

Talking Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

tina,

while most of your goals sound great i would like to remind you that eating 1200 calories a day is THE BARE MINIMUM FOR SURVIVAL... without physical activities. 1500 is just a few hundred more than that...
    i think that increasing your caloric intake (1,900 cal a day)and keeping up an excersize routine will help you more in the long term!

when you eat too little the probablity of binging goes up... wouldnt you rather eat just al little more and avoid feeling hungry and possibly overeating because of it?

i only mention this to help you
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

jj, thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it

yes i know 1200 is the lowest you can go, but i do great on this plan. if i were to eat 1900, i would gain weight, and VERY quickly. i have to stay at a low calorie plan, because my metabolism is already pretty sluggish from a previous bout of anorexia. 1500 i even gain on if im not exercising alot so i have to be very careful about this. believe me, ive taken it into consideration, but over the years ive gotten to learn how my body works, and i gain weight very quickly on higher calorie plans. i do really well on 1200, losing slowly and steadily, making sure i get enough protein and fiber and nutrients. i never get tired on it, due to doing exercise.

also, i never get hungry or overeat on a 1200 calorie plan. 1200 calories is perfectly sufficient for me, and i never feel the need to overeat.

thanks for your concern though jj

hows everyone doing?

today i didnt exercise. but in the past few days ive done ALOT of packing and lifting of heavy boxes and running around the house, so im sure ive gotten a good bit of exercise.

today i ate:

lunch:
    -homemade chili fries
    -2 cups of oj
    dinner:
    -brown rice/lentil/vegetable mixture w/ tamari
    -strawberry smoothie
    -1/2 cup soy milk

today ive gotten about 1280 calories, 50 grams of protein, and 35 grams of fiber.

I was sick yesterday so had a bad day. I was lazy, laying around on the couch or in bed all day and anything I ate, I threw up.

I feel good today though and am looking forward to eating well today. I always get lots of exercise at work as I'm moving around all day and usually lift heavy things too.

poor roxy *hugs*

i hope you eat some yummy things today

i dont know what ill eat. im going to try to be healthy though!

Count me in This thread is just what I need. Despite all my fitness efforts and making the transition to vegan about 2/3 months ago, to my utter puzzlement, I seem to have gone up a dress size. I think I've been too enthusiastic in discovering all the 'naughty' vegan foods.

Quote Tiggerwoo
    I want to sleep for 8 hours a day, and not 10 or 11 like I have been recently as that seems to be making me more tired.
    I totally agree Tiggerwoo. I sleep about 10 hours a night and I'm sure it makes more more tired. In an attempt to drag myself out of bed I promise myself a nice big breakfast which probably doesn't help the overall situation.

My goals are as follows:
    No caffeine (pretty much there already).
    Get up earlier.
    Exercise 5 days a week (gym, kung fu, 2hrs housework).
    Make sure I do my pressups every night (not just 1/2 the time)
    No alcohol (pretty close already)
    Go out for walks at the weekend with my bf.

and the one i think will make the most difference...
    Cut my portion sizes/ not feel I have to eat it just cos it's on my plate.

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!

tabitha

Antonia - I got a bit larger at first. I think I was having too many carbs or something. It sorted itself out after a while.

this is what i plan to eat today:

snack:
    -slushie
    light breakfast:
    -slice rice toast w/ natural peanut butter
    lunch:
    -other half of strawberry smoothie
    snack:
    -carrot sticks w/ dressing
    dinner:
    -homemade brown rice/lentil vegetable soup
    -baked potato
    snack:
    -popcorn w/ nutritional yeast

i would like to fit in more fresh veggies/fruits but im really lacking them at the moment.

Tiggerwoo

I love everyones ideas here and enthusiasm. OK since yesterday I managed to eat loads of fruit....... oranges, strawberries and mango which is what I was slacking on, had a sauna at home, did some reiki on myself and actually got up at 10.15 today instead of 12.00 so got by on 8.5 hours instead of my normal 10 or 11 and have more energy for it......yay!

Your food plan for today sounds good Foxy, glad you're feeling better today Roxy.

Is it ok if i join your dieting section.... anyways.. i would appreiciate.. if you could tell me what you eat for breakfast lunch dinner and snack... i would just copy u... or change accordingly....
    cheers
    Redpepper

is there room for a fella on this thread?

I love being fit! and at times have been very fit, lifting heavy weights and training 5 or more times a week.

my problem is i don't like training when i'm unfit, so getting started again.

I also like to eat healthy, but spend alot of time travelling with work therefore eat at service stations etc.not good. Also have an unhealthy appetite for larger and wine.

Weight loss / calorie counting doesn't work for me as my weight is similar if fit or unfit just differing amounts fat/muscle and the more i train the more i eat (5 times a day).

My plan is to start to gym or swim minimum of 3 times a week. and cut out the crap food (eating hoummos and salad sarnies now )

results will be measured in waist and bicep measurements.

I'll let you know how i do.

tabitha

Sounds like a good way to do it Bikerboy. Go for it.

ofcourse theres room for a fella bikerboy that sounds great, good job!

redpepper, im not sure who you would want to copy with meals, you can look at everybodys plans and see which one you like the most

Count me in!

this is my 3rd week of working out 2 nights per week. after a few more weeks of this, I want to up it.

Basically, my plan is to lift weights and then do cardio (incline walking on a treadmill) for around 30-40 minutes. I may up this to an hour after awhile. I have made it 3 weeks of doing this...yea me!

But in future, I would want to add more to my plan. still need to work out details...

I've been going to the gym for about 10 years, but never really challenged myself. I used to do cardio 50 min 2-3 times a week, with lots of stretching afterwards. Cardio always makes me feel wonderful - positive and light hearted. But I'm tired of running and can't seem to get myself to the gym these days, so I walk my dog for 2 hours a day instead. We go for adventure strolls, into new neighborhoods and terratories... he's loving it! It's probably good for the body to be doing something else, even if it's more of a recreational activity than a real workout.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

okay, so heres what i ended up eating today:

snack:
    -slushie
    light breakfast:
    -slice rice toast w/ natural peanut butter
    lunch:
    -carrot sticks w/ dressing
    snack:
    -some corn chips w/ salsa
    dinner:
    -mock tuna sandwich
    -cup of brown rice/lentil/bean/vegetable soup

i also went for a good walk.

i got around 1200 calories, just under 50 grams of protein, and 30 grams of fiber.

no fruit today! ill eat some kiwis and my smoothie tommorow

Tiggerwoo

I got up early today. 7:15am instead of my normal 10 or 11am. OK well I had to anyway as am at work earlier today anyway, but bought a ton of fruit yesterday, kiwis, mangos, clementines, raspberries and blueberries and am munching into them already.

thats great tiggerwoo good job!

i love the feeling i get when i eat something nutritious.

i was having a bad day earlier though, piping up about how annoyed i was that i was trying to be healthy and how all i wanted was junkfood. thank god i got over that one. i ate corn chips and salsa instead of something alot worse!

tabitha

I am having porridge with crushed pumpkin, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and a few brazil nuts (cos someone told me that they put you in a good mood). But on the downside I did have a vat of wine last night but on the good side I am going for a run in a couple of hours but on the downside its raining

good job with the porridge and the run tabitha!

to add to my exercise, ive done about 4 hours of straight cleaning. phew. haaaard work!

tabitha

Foxytina you scrub more than I do girl! I didnt run in the end as it was pissing down outside. I went to the gym and did 20 mins step, 15 mins run, 10 mins bike, 20 mins row. Plus leg extensions, hip flexor, squats and lunges and stomachs. As you may have gathered it was my "legs" day. I didnt bother with arms as I did them with customers last night and chest too.

Well, I had a better day yesterday, but not as good as I wanted to. Actually I won't be having any real better eating days until Tuesday, when I go grocery shopping.

I think this time when I do the grocery shopping, I'm going to buy more fresh, organic products and less processed products. I think I've been buying and eating too many processed things, which isn't good for me as they probably contain GM ingredients, which I've been reading a lot about lately and want to try and start avoiding even more.

Plus, my boyfriend is getting fatter and I feel like it's my fault. I buy the shit that he eats (processed foods), so if fresh, organic foods is all that's here, then he'll either have to eat that or go hungry. My weight has plateued as well and I'd like to start losing a little bit of the excess I've got.

As far as junk food goes, maybe if I go to the trouble of making cookies and things, I'll eat less than I do when I have a ready-open packet in the pantry.

I want to join! Great idea Foxy!

My goals are:

More raw veggies
    More beans
    More brown rice
    More water
    Less chips
    Less junk food in general
    Less wine

Walk 3-4 times a week for 30-40 mins
    Weights 2-3 times a week for 30-40 mins
    Stretching daily

More organic foods
    More grocery shopping (I end up buying crap at a corner store)
    Learn to cook more things

Hmmmmm looks like all my goals for now..

I really want to do this....I'm always tired and need to lose a bit of weight - about 10-15 pounds - and need motivation!
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

I want to join too! I feel so gross lately. I haven't been able to do my usual yoga routine and I had no idea how fit it kept me till I hadn't done it for 2.5 months. Right now I am exercising and journaling all my food intake as I am about 8lbs over what I usually weigh and even then I wanted to lose about 10lbs. Time for me to get my butt in gear.

Things I need to do:

-eat more fresh fruit
    -eat LESS junk (I am the queen of being a junk food vegan)
    -under 1500 cals/day with one cheat meal/day(undecided) a week
    -exercise at LEAST 5 times per week (minimum of 30 mins)
    -start yoga next week

If I think of anything else I will add it. Now it's time to go make something healthy and fruitfilled.

Goodluck TofurkyZombie i am with u.....
    cheers
    Redpepper

Thank redpepper. How is your day going so far today? Do you guys think we should post our food logs here or over on the What did you eat today? thread?

Hi everyone!

Today I have had:

- sprouted whole grain bagel (silver rills) with tofutti cc
    - banana
    - pita w/falafel, hummus, tomatoes and onions
    - lil buddy soy ice cream treat
    - glass of wine (celebrating, I got a new job today!!)

Not sure for rest of the night, maybe a stirfry or a bean and rice burrito.

Went for a 20 min walk, and jogged for 3 mins of it (just getting into it haha)
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

i post it on here just because i think its good motivation if ive eaten healthy or unhealthy and then i can post my exercise for that day i also like to see what others eat whilst were all trying to get healthy!

today i didnt eat healthy! my bf took me out to dinner, and then we ate snacks whilst watching a movie. i would eat more to up my protein and fiber intake aswell as vitamins/minerals, but i drank away all the calories with 2 margaritas!

today:

dinner:
    -schezwan green beans
    -big salad w/ dijon dressing
    -peach margarita
    -mango margarita
    snacks:
    -corn chips w/ salsa
    -slushie
    -cup of lentil/brown rice/vegetable soup

great goals everyone!

i didnt get any exercise today.

Tiggerwoo

Well done everyone. Foxy that mango margarita sounds delicious.

Well its the second day in a row I've got out of bed earlier than usual and feel alot more awake for it. I had an earlier night last night and did a reiki self treatment on myself yesterday.

Yesterday I had

Breakfast: 2 cups of rooibos tea with porridge with rice milk and a punnet of raspberries

Midmorning: Lots of mineral water

Lunch: Bottle of mineral water with jacket potato and baked beans

Dinner: Veggie stirfry with tofu, 2 cups of red clover tea

Evening: Couple of oat biscuits and punnet of blueberries, plus another 2 litres of mineral water

prilly-pie

well done everybody. youre such inspirations. ive not been trying at all and have been no help to myself. it is now one month until my birthday lol.. nevermind.. in the long run i will be so healthy, fit and flexible that i shall look back and laugh!!
    so no more major muck ups aprille! u have the support. now get those legs around ur head!! xxx

OK, here are my goals.

- Excercise at least 2xs per week (weights and cardio)
    - Eat at least 1 fruit and 1 veggie at every meal
    - Eat more protein/fiber
    - meditiate
    - sleep more
    - be more relaxed, stop getting upset over everything (at work this happens to me)
    - Drink even more water (I currently drink about 2-3 liters a day, plus tea, but it is so hot and dry in my apartment it doesn't seem to be enough )
    - Stop eating late at night (generally because I come home from work/gym so late)

ladyaprille I hope you are planning on giving us all yoga classes to help us with that legs around the head bit. A month until your birthday eh? That's always good motivation! I have 2 weddings to attend in May. That's my first event to get ready for, but life is full of events that we need to look fabulous for so we need to do this!

Yesterday was a write off due to the massive amount of alcohol ingested at the bar. However I did dance my butt off for most of the night AND I did a 30 min exercise video yesterday dedicated solely to giving me a better butt. So that's one point at least cuz my eating was crap yesterday!

stuff eaten yesterday:

- 2 oranges
    - 2 kiwis
    - 1 mini container of soygurt!
    - some popcorn w/ some melted eb and pb (thankfully didn't make a TON of it. SO GOOD!)
    - 2 yves veggie burgers
    - 1 piece of bread
    - way too many drinks @ the bar + a mini slush and bag of bbq doritos afterwards

Here's to a good day for us all.

prilly-pie

yoga? pah! rope and pully system needed to get my legs around my neck atm lol. i think your day looks pretty good!! apart from the drinks...but then i would think that anyway- im tea total. far too many alchies in my family - im proud not to drink. now i need to be proud not to eat *crap* - so to speak xxx

Minus the drinks and the doritos/slush thing it was a good day. Way too many calories though, 500 more than I am supposed to have.

Hmm a rope and pully system.. So will be leading us through some pilates classes then??

is there a soya sour cream... i make a lot of food items with it.... could anyone tell me
    cheers
    redpepper

Tofutti makes one called Sour Supreme.

www.tofutti.com

Haven't tried it myself, but others seem to like it.

Redpepper I love tofutti sour cream! It's pretty readily available where I live and tastetastic. There is nothing better than some perogies w/ sour cream. It makes a great base for dips and stuff as well. Who said being vegan was hard when you got great products like this to substitute for the cow juice products.

Update - I was just at the store so i picked up some Sour Supreme.

It tastes great! Not quite as "sour" as sour cream, it kinda tastes like plain yogurt. I made it into a dip with some veg onion soup mix and cayenne pepper. Yum!

tofurky, check the ingredients of the doritos. im pretty sure they have disodium iosinate which is meat extract.

everybodys doing great!

todays my cheat day so im going to eat whatever i want.

i got in a walk today aswell.

today:

lunch:
    -fries from new york fries
    dinner:
    -veggie hot dogs
    -probably will make a slushie aswell

ill update it if i eat more.

Quote Wildflower
    Update - I was just at the store so i picked up some Sour Supreme.

It tastes great! Not quite as "sour" as sour cream, it kinda tastes like plain yogurt. I made it into a dip with some veg onion soup mix and cayenne pepper. Yum!
    Mmmmmmm, it tastes like the homemade full-fat yogurt my mom used to make. It's delicious with cabbage rolls, grapes leaves rolls (dolmas), and Middle Eastern stuff.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Yeah, it does. A rich creamy yogurt.

I will have to make tzatziki (greek yogurt with cucumber and garlic).

The sad thing is, it's too pricey to use liberally as a yogurt replacement. I like to make this thing, which I guess is similar to tzatiki...it's a bowl of plain unsweetened yogurt with cucumbers and mint....mmmm!
    Peace, love, and happiness.