Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 2270

Thread: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Yogini

Default Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

I'm in pretty much the same boat as Foxy, except my flu isn't in my stomach. Yesterday I ate canned soup, Zensoy pudding cups, pumpkin seeds, and orange juice. Today I managed to make soup with canned stock and dried rice and lentils. I'm feeling a little better but want junk food. There's these french twist cookies they sell at Stop and Shop and I really want some bad. But I feel like a huge lard*ss from the lack of exercise and overabundance of seeds and pudding.

Quote Yogini View Post
    There's these french twist cookies they sell at Stop and Shop
    ive had these before! from stop and shop too actuallly - my family had bought them and likes them, more specifically my sister I think, so Ive tried them before and they are pretty good
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Lunch: Vanilla Silk soy yogart, small grapefruit

Dinner: Veggie burger (bun, boca vegan burger, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, and mustard) and green beans

Exercise: 10 minute run, 15 minute jump rope, abs

I've had gluten every day for the past four days. It was a sort of experiment to see if I would feel any different. No real changes except I'm very gassy right now. I can feel the gas rumbling in my stomach/intestines/wherever the gas is. Ugh...

[Maybe too much info...skip if you'd like]My bowel issues aren't getting any better, sadly. The first few days, it was great! But I'm still my "old self" in terms of bowel movements. Although the gluten free diet has helped in terms of my gas and bloating, it has not helped in this area. Dare I say...I even got worse? I eat a lot of fibre and I drink quite a lot of water. I don't think I can increase it any more. My conventional doctor can't help. All he says is to take those fiber powders, like Metamucil. Personally, I don't think they are the solution. It's not going to resolve my tummy issues. Maybe if it's not too expensive, I'll see a naturopath or something similar. Maybe I can get to the root of the issues.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

poor yogini. i hope you feel better soon !

tigerlily, sometimes too much fiber can cause bowel issues as well. you only need 25 grams of fiber a day. how much are you getting?

yesterday i ate pretty healthy.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

We recently got mountain bikes. Still getting used to the saddle

We rode about 3 miles to town and back on Saturday, and 9 miles on Sunday.
    Sunday ride was quite hilly and some of it was offroad which was fun but tiring.

We'll do more cycling when the evenings are light again.

I play badminton for a couple of hours during the week, too (on court for an hour or so)

I could do with fitting some extra exercise in, during the week though.

You just made me think of summer Pob We all go out for bike rides then. Me and my son ended up biking 10 miles when i got lost down the country lanes.

I have done no exercise for about 2 weeks now. Feeling to ill to do any right now and im not eating very well so im niether fit or healthy. Hope to get back on track soon.

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    poor yogini. i hope you feel better soon !

tigerlily, sometimes too much fiber can cause bowel issues as well. you only need 25 grams of fiber a day. how much are you getting?

yesterday i ate pretty healthy.

I don't know... I don't count it since a lot of my foods I eat don't have nutritional labels and I'm waaay too lazy to go searching for that info online.

Lunch: 2 tomatoes with salt and pepper

Snack: Oatmeal, orange

Dinner: Boca Burger, green beans

wmenke, I really don't want to sound like the food police but that doesn't seem like a whole lot of food. Even if you are trying to lose weight...

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    wmenke, I really don't want to sound like the food police but that doesn't seem like a whole lot of food. Even if you are trying to lose weight...
    I agree. Not eating enough food will make you keep on weight too...your body slows down metabolism and stores away fat cause it thinks you're starving.

Definitely eat more!

I've been sick for about the last week. I wasn't able to eat anything for a while, but then I added in some liquids. I'm slowly bringing in real food again...

sometimes people eat less when theyre sick. its not abnormal.

sorry to hear that youre sick wmenke! i hope you feel better soon. *hugs*

Thanks foxytina. I started working in a school a couple of months ago and I'm around all those kids who love to pass their germs! The first year of teaching is always hard on your body. Hopefully I'll build up some immunity and not feel blah all the time.

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    sometimes people eat less when theyre sick. its not abnormal.
    I didn't know she was sick.

Why not.....I thought you knew everything

I fail.

You miserable little so and so

Tigerlily - come over so we can hang out. We can watch a DVD or something and eat vegan snacks.

That would be fun. Too bad we're at opposite ends of the country.

Ok well lets just pretend lol - I'll go and sit on the floor in front of the TV and eat your cookies as well as my own.

Ahhhh obviously I'm tired. LOL!

You guys are funny

Quote wmenke View Post
    I've been sick for about the last week. I wasn't able to eat anything for a while, but then I added in some liquids. I'm slowly bringing in real food again...
    its not nice. How about starting a thread to post what to eat and drink whilst unwell with viruses and flu. Would anyone else be interested? Or is there already such a thread?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I think that would be too much, IMO. All you need to do is write "I'm sick today, it's sucks" before writing your food log....if you don't want people to be concered about your lack of eating.

Quote Roxy View Post
    Ok well lets just pretend lol - I'll go and sit on the floor in front of the TV and eat your cookies as well as my own.

Ahhhh obviously I'm tired. LOL!
    They are really yummy cookies. They remind me of those "baby cookies" or digestive biscuits, but nicer.

I think it's a good idea for a thread, herbwormwood. It's not just a food log, Tigerlily, it's to give people ideas about what they could eat when they're feeling yucky.

Would it be active enough? When you're sick are you going to go searching for that thread to write in it? Or are you just going to post it the "what did you eat today" thread because it's always being writen in (and easier to find)?

I think it'd be active - people could post soup recipes, soothing recipes, herb teas that help - so even if someone wasn't sick but had eaten things in the past that had helped them it could be useful.

I wanted to ask all you healthy people how I can motivate myself to do some sport? I hate most forms of physical exercise, I think it's because the facilities here are really crappy, expensive and people take sport so seriously. It's not about having fun, which I think it should be. Any ideas?

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I think that would be too much, IMO. All you need to do is write "I'm sick today, it's sucks" before writing your food log....if you don't want people to be concered about your lack of eating.
    ive been sick for a couple weeks, but im not going to start every log of mine with im sick. that would be annoying to type lol. i think people should ask before saying something about the amount of food someone ate.

i think the what to eat when youre sick thread would be a good idea. if it was just in the what did you eat today thread, noone will ever find it because its soooo long. but if it had its own thread, then it would be easy to find and that way we could get ideas of foods to eat whilst sick. i never know what to eat while im sick.

regarding the fit and healthy thread, i went for a small walk yesterday and havent been eating too crappy. ive maintained my 13 pound loss. ive never paid attention to maintaining. ive just kept
    paying attention to losing more. which probably didnt benefit me at all in the past.

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    its not nice. How about starting a thread to post what to eat and drink whilst unwell with viruses and flu. Would anyone else be interested? Or is there already such a thread?
    I would! I tried to start that years ago, but I think it was merged with another sick thread. I will have to find it...i am not sure if anyone posted but me anyway.

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...?t=2100&page=2

If you go to the second page, part way down, I tried to start a thread called, What do you eat when you are sick? there are a few posts, and then it was merged with another thread I had about Sore Throat Remedies and a Fever thread was tacked on after it. I was sick a lot that year!

I would say to start it again, but it may just be merged???

OK lets do it.
    I will start it off.
    Check the new posts listing in a few minutes from now.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

pavotrouge

I also think a sick thread is a good idea...I used to be sick practically all the time last winter, then turned vegan and am quite healthy as long as I don't forget to eat...

I've started doing yoga again on a regular base and feel great...the weather is too moody to go jogging at the moment, and I'm looking for another sport (martial arts preferred) to start next year as I've recently quit Aikido.

Tigerlilly, how is your gluten experiment going?

Not too bad. I just bought some cookies with gluten in them, though. Oops. Maybe I'll have like 1 cookie every other day. They were 5.99 (date cookies from the Middle Eastern store) so too expensive to give away or throw out!

Quote fiamma View Post
    I wanted to ask all you healthy people how I can motivate myself to do some sport? I hate most forms of physical exercise, I think it's because the facilities here are really crappy, expensive and people take sport so seriously. It's not about having fun, which I think it should be. Any ideas?
    Bump...
    Please everyone, I'd really appreciate your advice if you've got any tips.

I have no tips. I never exercise.

Yikes!

Not too bad. I just bought some cookies with gluten in them, though. Oops. Maybe I'll have like 1 cookie every other day. They were 5.99 (date cookies from the Middle Eastern store) so too expensive to give away or throw out!
    What's wrong with gluten?

It upsets my stomach.

Yogini

Quote fiamma View Post
    Bump...
    Please everyone, I'd really appreciate your advice if you've got any tips.
    Find something you like is the best advice I can give. Rent videos for stuff you don't need facilities for. Leslie Sansone in-home walking videos helped me get started. Yoga and Pilates videos, supplemented with books on proper form and the like are good when classes are unavailable.

It might seem horrible at first, but once you get into the habit of physical activity, it becomes wonderful. It's very stress-relieving and centering. I often meditate right after I exercise because it's when my mind is it's calmest and most grounded.

Yogini

Not a great day, food-wise. Too much fat and I completely skipped lunch. I had pancakes with maple syrup, strawberries and Earth Balance for breakfast. Then dinner was a bowl of brown rice pasta with more Earth Balance and garlic powder, and two cups of roasted broccoli with lemon-tahini sauce. The brocc was roasted with olive oil and garlic.

Considering I'm still tired from my bout w/the flu, it was a good exercise day. Twenty high-intensity minutes on the elliptical trainer and a 30 minute Pilates vid. I put on a few pounds while sick, but they're gone now (I blame the mass amounts of OJ and the comfort food.)

Originally Posted by fiamma
    I don't do any real "sports" in the traditional sense, but I would say if you had someone to play with or against it would be a lot more fun. things I like to do are more solitary - walking outside, incline walking on a treadmill, swimming, yoga and weight lifting.

getting a dog is a great way to get outside and play, walk, run, go to the park, etc.

i have also heard to schedule excercise, like if you work during the day, but onto your calander that you need to work out at lunch, or mark it that you need to leave on time to work out 3 times a week, that sort of thing. if you know when it is planned for, it can help you feel you can get out and do it!

Thanks Yogini and Wildflower for your replies I do tend to get far too bogged down in my work (I work from home), so scheduling in exercise time might be a good idea. Thanks again!
    Last edited by fiamma; Nov 19th, 2006 at 11:13 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

I'm starting to eat healthy again. I've been chronically ill for years and it got so much better after I went vegan. At first I thought it was just the vegan diet that worked, however, now I realize that it was because I was eating a very healthy vegan diet. I've been eating junk for the past few months and am getting sick all the time again and feeling really run down. So tomorrow, when we go grocery shopping, I'm going to stick to only buying fresh, whole foods. Nothing but fruits, veggies, whole grains & beans, which is the way I started out eating and felt great. I've also let my exercising slip and am going to start that again tonight.

As for exercising Fiamma, I always had a lot of trouble getting the motivation to exercise. Until I got Dance Dance Revolution at home. Since it's something that I love doing, I don't find it hard to fit in time to do it and find that I can go for over an hour on it while I can't do more than 20 minutes with actual "exercise". So I would suggest you find something that you love doing and focus on that. If you've ever played DDR and like it, I would highly recommend getting a professional metal dance pad. I got mine off of ebay for $100 and it's the best investment I've ever made!!!

Yogini

Two more pounds lost. Yay!

Happyvegan,

Eating well has really helped my chronic illness as well. Another yay!

Well, I see no one has posted over the holidays...I know that I ate too much junk!

Today:

Lunch: Vanilla Silk Yogart and Lemon Luna Bar
    Snack: 1/4c. Almonds
    Dinner: 2c. Veggie Soup and a "chicken" patty on bread with lettuce & tomato
    Dessert: I don't know...

I also ran, and did a kickboxing and abs class for an hour

I was really looking forward to my Yoga class tonight - but it got cancelled because there's so much snow, we can't get in there! Stupid Snow

Joined the gym this week, doing a cardio program and abdominals workout.

Been 3 times this week (2-3 times a week is what I am hoping to fit in every week). Plus badminton once per week. Plus bike ride at weekends weather and time permitting.

Now if only I could give up the cakes

pavotrouge

Good to hear all of you are doing so good...I'm ill with a severe cold again...

It's kind of weird- when I used to be an omnivore, not eating balanced or healthy by any means and didn't exercise, I barely ever got ill.

Last year I changed my eating habits and started doing sports again, I was constantly ill and it seems it's starting all over again

hugs to everyone!

i havent posted in here in a while.

i havent been eating healthy because ive been eating gluten every few days.

and i havent gotten any exercise because im still getting better.

but regarding the health factor, i went and got my colposcopy and am waiting for the results.

yesterday i spent alot of time creating two menus that i could use as backup. one menu i created had enough of every single nutrient on fitday. none were lacking at all, (with lots of fiber and protein) and the second menu was one that i created for the days when i dont have alot of food, but need to get enough fiber and protein. something that i can fall back on, without having to count my nutrition. something that i can eat and know that i got enough of my protein, fiber, calcium, iron, vitamin d, e, all my b vitamins, and almost all of my vitamin a.

i also created a list of te vitamins/minerals i most often lack in and the easiest sources for me to get them from.

so im glad that i created the 2 menus and the list of vitamins/minerals because it can be a quick reference for me when i dont want to have tospend all day thinking about my nutrition. the most annoying thing for me is that i cant just eat foods and know im getting enough, because i have limited options as to what i can and cant eat. i definitely dont have an abundance of vegetables and fruits, so i have to pick the most nutritious ones i can buy. if i could eat a variety of foods everyday then im sure id get enough nutrition, but i dont have alot of variety so it takes alot of work to work with the foods i do have to make sure i get all the nutrition i need, so im really happy i made the menus.

anyways, today is one of those menus (not the one with every vitamin/mineral, but the one with alot of things because i dont have the foods i need for the other menu)

so im atleast going to get lots of nutrition today, and protein and iron. im really been down lately and not feeling well, and im SURE its lack of iron and protein. so im definitely going to watch those from now on.

Wow Tina! That's so great that you went to all that effort to make up those menus. That'll make things so much easier on those "can't be bothered days". We all have them!! Infact, I think it's such a great idea, that I think I'd like to do something similar when I have some more spare time

honestly, its the greatest feeling in the world. because im sure you understand how tiring it can be sometimes to always enter in your foods, and have to move things around and add things in while youre looking at the vitamin and mineral lists and seeing if you got enough. its annoying because sometimes i dont get enough and then i just cant be bothered to eat anymore, or i cant eat anymore because im already full. so then im annoyed that i didnt get all my nutrition lol. but this way, i have a menu for a whole day to fall back on where i can just eat everything on it, its already planned out for me, and i get everything i need, and its also low calorie and fat. i think its really going to help for those days that i just cant be arsed. lol. oh and the vitamin and mineral list i made will also help because again, for a day i dont get enough of certain things, i can just look at my list under which vitamin or mineral it is, see the corresponding foods, eat them and then ill have gotten enough.

I totally understand!!! Sometimes you just wanna EAT without having to enter everything in first (especially if there's a bunch of new foods that aren't in your list already, and you have to add them in).