Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,100 of 2270

Thread: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Default Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

hi everyone. hope youre all doing well with your health. love and hugs to everyone!

im not doing very great. the holidays were crappy eating and ive been having some eating issues regarding not caring if i eat, etc. so im not doing that great, but all we can do is try to be healthy i suppose.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Marrers View Post
    ETA I had a look - very supermarket food based from what I see so far! (Cashews were only listed in brand packet sizes )
    The biggest disappointment for me was lack of nutritional info - I really need to get a grip on my nutrition as I'm a bit hopeless.

While I'm trying to find one I like I might try filling in several different ones with the same info and see what comes out!

Anyone else have a suggestion?

I know some people suggested FitDay, which seems pretty good (haven't used it though). I used to use calorie-count.com. It's really great and pretty accurate with USDA database of foods, although its easy to get really obsessive about your food and nutrients and macronutrient breakdowns when using a source like that. Maybe it's just me.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    im not doing very great. the holidays were crappy eating and ive been having some eating issues regarding not caring if i eat, etc. so im not doing that great, but all we can do is try to be healthy i suppose.
    *hugs* you can eat better! What about trying to plan out meals? I get weird, too and I'll just force myself to get up and prepare some oatmeal or something. I'll set it down right next to my desk. If I still don't want it, I don't have to eat it, if it looks tempting, then I go for it! I think after the prep and deliberation are over, I find it isn't as much of a daunting task.

Fitday? I feel like that's everyday at the moment. I'm so fit I'm exhausted

Today

EXERCISE
    1 hour Body Step

DIET
    2 pieces wholemeal toast with quandong jam (aussie native fruit)
    baked potato with coleslaw, salad.
    banana soy smoothie
    lavash homemade pizza with pesto, mushrooms, tomatoes & pine nuts.
    nectarine
    2 pieces watermelon
    chai tea
    water

SUPPLIMENTS
    multi
    B12
    kelp
    calcium magnesium
    valerian, hops, passionflower sleep complex (stressed re returning to work tomorrow).

Quote treehugga View Post
    Fitday? I feel like that's everyday at the moment. I'm so fit I'm exhausted
    i'm so unfit i'm exhausted too

Me too cedar!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Thanks Lorrs, I'll have a look.

ETA I had a look - very supermarket food based from what I see so far! (Cashews were only listed in brand packet sizes )
    The biggest disappointment for me was lack of nutritional info - I really need to get a grip on my nutrition as I'm a bit hopeless.

While I'm trying to find one I like I might try filling in several different ones with the same info and see what comes out!

Anyone else have a suggestion?
    I think just paying attention to what you eat means you start balancing things anyways. On nutracheck, if you put in cashew nuts instead of cashews you would get just plain nuts then can specify the amount you had, tis something they are attempting to iron out but most of my stuff isn't supermarket bought stuff and I use it fine. I used another website once called Weight Loss Resources which is similar and I think it gave more of a nutritional breakdown.

'Skinny Bitch' is an interesting read on healthy eating. Doing away with all the hype re amounts of this and amounts of that. Theory is if you stick to wholefoods you won't be over weight. It's the types of food that's often the problem.

Today

EXERCISE
    Nil. Rest day. Migraine!

DIET
    2 pieces w/wheat toast & vegemite
    small amount walnuts, macadamias, dried apricots and dates.
    turkish roll with tomatoe, avocado, baby spinach & rocket
    piece watermelon, 2 strawberries, 2 small pieces pineapple
    fresh pasta with tomatoe sauce & 1/4 piece garlic toast.
    black tea
    chai tea
    soy iced chai
    water

SUPPLIMENTS
    B12
    kelp
    Dong Quai Complex (don't ask?)

Dong Quai Complex (don't ask?)
    Donkey complex eh? bet I know what that's for!

Quote vavavegan View Post
    Donkey complex eh? bet I know what that's for!
    Yup! Lucky me! And Oh My God! I want to eat the choclate cake on your pic soooo bad!!

Today

EXERCISE
    1 hour Body Step

DIET
    Usual toast x 2
    soy raspberrie smoothie
    turkish bread, olive oil & dukkah
    Homemade chips (fries) in oven with a little olive oil & 2 bread (junk food day!)

SUPPLIMENTS
    multi
    kelp
    magnesium/calsium
    Dong Quai

dukkah? whats that then?

It's a mix of dried herbs, sesame seeds, nuts (often hazelnuts crushed) & sumac (middle eastern spice).
    You dip the fresh, warmed bread in the olive oil then dip into the dukkah and enjoy!!

sugarmouse

Ill get me soem of that!
    I have gotten back into running again yay

I think I'm ready to set up my plan on here... critiques are welcome! I don't think I'm doing any online counting program, I get REALLY obsessed. I also don't have much time at all, barely time to eat during the week, so try not to be too hard on me.

Diet (Monday-Friday):
    B: either raw (mono eating of some fruit - mangoes, grapefruit, bananas) OR 1/3c quinoa flakes + v small banana + ground flaxseeds

L: no time but may add something if I can

D: either raw salad (bean sprouts, kale leaves, plum tomato, carrots, Bragg's Sesame Ginger aminos dressing + 1c black/kidney beans) OR veggie stirfry (spinach leaves, bok choy, carrots, red bell pepper, mung bean sprouts, tomatoes, sesame oil or ginger soy dressing + 5 cubes tofu)

S: unlimited tea (throughout the day) and another fruit (three hours after dinner)

Saturday and Sunday may vary since I go out to eat or out of town often.

Exercize: Goal is to do 160 minutes of cardio each week, not including walking to class and back. That's like 40 minutes four times each week. I think I'll be able to get to the gym twice on the weekend and twice during the week. I'll also do 30 minutes of yoga each day.

What do you think?

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I think I'm ready to set up my plan on here... critiques are welcome! I don't think I'm doing any online counting program, I get REALLY obsessed. I also don't have much time at all, barely time to eat during the week, so try not to be too hard on me.
    What do you think?
    Sounds fairly healthy to me. It depends what your goal is? i.e, healthy eating, fitness, toning, weight loss, better health or all of those. I find writing my daily habits on here makes me more accountable and able to follow my progress. I also find other peoples posts encouraging & interesting. I think easing into a new regime is the key. Too much too soon often results in failure. 30 mins of exercise per day is a good start.

Today

WEEKLY WEIGHT
    70.8kgs Goal: 65kgs (loss so far 5 kgs)

EXERCISE
    nil - another migraine!! May walk 40 mins later if feeling better.

DIET
    2 w/wheat toast & ABC spread
    turkish roll & Dukkah & cold pressed olive oil
    raspberry soy smoothie (smoothies have been my greatest weight loss tool. fill me up for hours).
    Thai curry: bok choy, red onion, garlic, red capsicum, mushies, fresh tumeric,galangal, lime, coconut cream and curry mix with basmati rice and roti.
    banana with coconut cream.

SUPPLIMENTS
    multi
    kelp
    chinese hebs for headache
    B12

Sounds fairly healthy to me. It depends what your goal is? i.e, healthy eating, fitness, toning, weight loss, better health or all of those.
    Thanks. I'm trying to lose some weight and tone a lot. I think I've just gotten too fat. My goal is more of certain size than a certain weight. I think toning would make that more attainable. Ideally I'd have time to do 60 minutes of cardio everyday, but I'll settle for 40 * 4 while at uni and working.

That sounds like a very healthy day treehugga! The thai curry looks sooo good!

Thanks. I'm trying to lose some weight and tone a lot. I think I've just gotten too fat. My goal is more of certain size than a certain weight. I think toning would make that more attainable. Ideally I'd have time to do 60 minutes of cardio everyday, but I'll settle for 40 * 4 while at uni and working.

That sounds like a very healthy day treehugga! The thai curry looks sooo good!
    Hey, have you tried the 5-6 smaller meals per day approach. It works wonders and stops you gorging!

Yes, I've done the 5-6 meals/day thing before; it's great! My problem right now is just time.

During the week, I leave for uni or work around 9-10am and don't get a break to eat until around 5-6pm. That's like 7-8 hours between meals. Then I have to leave again until around 9-10pm. Since I don't like eating late, I have two mealtimes to work with.

Since I've moved back to uni, I haven't had a hard time with gorging, I've really lost my appetite and am eating out of necessity now. I tend to get very sore and weak when I don't eat everyday (and often).

Although right now I may have lost the appetite due to some infection I've got in my sinuses and throat that seems to be creeping into my chest and head. I guess my body was fighting it off pretty well up until this morning. I've been so fatigued; walking to class is about all I can do right now... Plus the head and chest cold?

Yes, I've done the 5-6 meals/day thing before; it's great! My problem right now is just time.

During the week, I leave for uni or work around 9-10am and don't get a break to eat until around 5-6pm. That's like 7-8 hours between meals. Then I have to leave again until around 9-10pm. Since I don't like eating late, I have two mealtimes to work with.

I've been so fatigued; walking to class is about all I can do right now... Plus the head and chest cold?
    You should be entitled to a break of some kind!! I would have to take food in with me to snack on!! It sounds like an occupational health and safety issue to me. No wonder you're unwell. Hope you feel better soon.

Ellaminnowpea - get nuts and raisins stuck in your pockets and eat on the run also fruit that is quiet could be eaten in class surely - i.e. banana or grapes?

your class mates will end up with rumbling tummies tho!

I have gained a fair bit of weight recently as a result of eating crap & drinking excessively most nights & then as a result eating more crap. I don't weigh myself as i prefer to judge by a) how comfortable i feel in my body & when i'm wearing clothes & b) just by looking at the way my clothes fit my body. So yeah i have definately noticed & i don't like it at all, im usually an extremely healthy eater but because it holidays etc, things have gone a little down hill...I'm also not a big excercise person at all i must admit, i walk a lot though, enjoy stretching & do a few lunges here & there...posting will hopefeully keep me on track!

Breakfast: brown rice w/ a tomato/basil/onion/garlic sauce

Snack: 2x green tea

Lunch: BIG dark leafy salad w/ roasted red peppers, grilled tomato, artichoke & spanish onion
    diet coke

Snack: green tea

Dinner: raosted pumpkin in a tomato & onion sauce (homemade NOT jar) & lots of steamed broccoli
    green tea

2L water

sugarmouse

AFter a bout of food poisoning and finally gettin back on the running wagon I am now 9st 7lb and feel pretty good.I am terrifiedof putitng the weight back on.I eat pretty healthly, lots of salad, home made soups and veggies..I occasionally eat something like veggie pizza or a sandwich.HOwever when I do this I feel so so guilty and terrified I will suddenly balloon in weight!Ugh. Last night it was my bosses' leaving do and I went out for a few drinks but having not felt so well I had slept all day s not eaten anything. When i got home we had pizza, (no cheese obv) from the takeaway...Today I have strssed about it all day even though I hadnt eaten anything all that day apart from the pizza so I know its kind of silly!

I have started caring more about my weight than my health....I still feel pretty fat though.I hope now I am running regularly again it willeven itself out. I do my weights almost daily too to make sure I have some muscle tone.Ugh.
    Hope everybody is doing ok.

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    I have started caring more about my weight than my health....I still feel pretty fat though.I hope now I am running regularly again it willeven itself out. I do my weights almost daily too to make sure I have some muscle tone.Ugh.
    Sugarmouse why don't you decide on a cut off weight. Whatever weight you decide - you will weigh yourself once a week only - and as soon as you reach the cut off weight you will exercise more and eat less but unless the scales show that you are on or above that weight you will not worry about what you weigh?

Quote sugarmouse View Post

Pizza without cheese isn't really fattening, it's the cheese that makes it unhealthy. I eat pizza about once a week with no gain. You should rest between weights for at least 48 hours to allow recovery and make the exercises more efficient. When I feel like like I'm becoming a bit weight obsessive I remind myself of what my healthy weight range is. For me a 5''4 medium build woman its b/n 60 - 65 kgs, so that's what I'm aiming for.

Today

EXERCISE
    Ni. again. should have gone to body step this morning but 6 year old kept me up most of the night and currently have bad cramps so gave it a miss.

DIET
    yummy home made granola - oats, coconut, sunflower seeds, almonds, wheatgerm, LSA. toasted with some maple syrup and soy milk.
    black organic tea.
    home made pesto pizza
    watermelon
    pineapple
    mediteranian pie - filo pastry with red capsicum, zucchini, red onion, garlic, spinach & vegan cheese sauce. With mixed salad.
    rooibos tea
    grEen jasmine tea
    water

SUPPLIMENTS
    IRON & b12
    calcium & magnesium
    Dong Quai
    chinese herbs for cramps

i've been swimming again today. 12 lengths and i feel good! hoping to go again either wed or thurs.

sugarmouse

[QUOTE=treehugga;412465]Pizza without cheese isn't really fattening, it's the cheese that makes it unhealthy. I eat pizza about once a week with no gain. You should rest between weights for at least 48 hours to allow recovery and make the exercises more efficient. When I feel like like I'm becoming a bit weight obsessive I remind myself of what my healthy weight range is. For me a 5''4 medium build woman its b/n 60 - 65 kgs, so that's what I'm aiming for.

Thanks Treehugger. I know what you are sayig but this was a take-out pizza.I know the bases are vegan but theyre probably full of fat!You have made me feel a little better though.I am same ish as you, 5'3 though.Yesterday I ate some mashed potato but apart from that just salad and cabbage soup. I find it detoxes me and gets rid of water retention(its tme of the month!lol)
    I did 25 min run too.

How do I cut down on cookies guys?

I think my current diet would be quite healthy and make me lose weight except for all the cookies. They are just addicting.

It's really not my fault more mainstream companies are veganizing their cookies. Fudge covered shortbread cookies, chocolate wafers, Oreos, oatmeal cookies, creme-filled cookies (not Oreos), maple cookies, etc.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    How do I cut down on cookies guys?

I think my current diet would be quite healthy and make me lose weight except for all the cookies. They are just addicting.

It's really not my fault more mainstream companies are veganizing their cookies. Fudge covered shortbread cookies, chocolate wafers, Oreos, oatmeal cookies, creme-filled cookies (not Oreos), maple cookies, etc.
    Can't eat 'em if you don't buy 'em - unless of course you steal them

Good sperm

Diet (Monday-Friday):
    B: either raw (mono eating of some fruit - mangoes, grapefruit, bananas) OR 1/3c quinoa flakes + v small banana + ground flaxseeds

L: no time but may add something if I can

D: either raw salad (bean sprouts, kale leaves, plum tomato, carrots, Bragg's Sesame Ginger aminos dressing + 1c black/kidney beans) OR veggie stirfry (spinach leaves, bok choy, carrots, red bell pepper, mung bean sprouts, tomatoes, sesame oil or ginger soy dressing + 5 cubes tofu)

S: unlimited tea (throughout the day) and another fruit (three hours after dinner)

Saturday and Sunday may vary since I go out to eat or out of town often.
    You aren't eating even close to enough with the amount of exercise you plan on doing. Your calorie intake per day must be under 1000kcal which will not cause weightloss, it'll cause your body to go into survival mode and everything you eat will turn into fat as your body tries desperately to hold onto food.

Larger breakfast, lots of higher cal snacks (nuts, hummus/guacamole and crudites, PB sandwiches) to make up for not having lunch and a big dinner and evening snack. Drink soy/nut milks during the day too. Otherwise you'll gain fat, lose muscle, lose energy and your immune system will collapse.

And if you don't eat healthy fats (e.g naturally present in nuts, avocado, cold pressed oils as salad dressings/hummus) your body will not know how to process fat and will hold on to it rather than burn it.

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Your calorie intake per day must be under 1000kcal which will not cause weightloss.
    ...yeah... I mean, I don't count calories anymore cause I got too obsessive. I basically need to stay away from counting protein and fat grams, calories, etc or I'll go insane. I try to eat as healthy as I can, but I haven't been hungry.

lose muscle, lose energy and your immune system will collapse.
    ... thats my life right now... I feel miserable, have had this terrible sore throat/cold and so fatigued I can't do much else besides get to class!

And if you don't eat healthy fats (e.g naturally present in nuts, avocado, cold pressed oils as salad dressings/hummus) your body will not know how to process fat and will hold on to it rather than burn it.
    I add some vegan sauce on my stirfry with tofu. And the other nights I can add avocado to the raw salad... I'll try to get some nuts and dried fruit to eat around midday, too.

Thanks for the concern. I'm just not hungry or feeling well at the moment. Plus I'm under a lot of stress.

yesterday's intake...

Breakfast: brown rice w/ onions, lots of diced celery & carrot w/ light soy sauce (when i eat this for breaky I'm barely hungry the rest of the day so its very good)
    green tea

Snack: green tea & diet coke

Lunch: large dark leafy salad w/ roasted red peppers, red onion & grilled tomato
    fresh iced green tea

Dinner: steamed pumpkin in a eggplant & tomato sauce just with pepper

2L water throughout day...

Today
    Breakfast: mixed cereals-bran & Special K w/ low-fat/gluten free soymilk topped w/ fresh berries
    2 green teas

snack: 2x peaches, 2 green teas & diet coke

Lunch: v. small baby spinach salad

Dinner: roast vegies (pumpkin, eggplant, onion, capsicum & tomato) maybe some steamed broccolli

lots of water

Any helpfull foods that rid bloating/water retention!?!?

I've lost 5 pounds in a week.

And this is after I stuffed my face at a Vegan Forum meet up meal out on Saturday (and drank loads over the weekend).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

woo hoo! good for you Marrers - keep it up!

I'm trying to update Fitday with what I have eaten over my weekend away but I'm finding it really frustrating - unless you know the nutritional and calorific content of your food you have no chance of seeing things accurately in terms of fat, carbs and nutrients.

I'm trying to guess things like falafel wraps, restaurant meals and vegan cake but the nearest equivalent on their lists will be full of meat, eggs and dairy.

I use fit day as well and if I cant find what I am looking for I try to break it down to its basic ingredients and do it that way but it is a pain in the arse to start with. I used fitday about a month or two ago and then stopped for a while cos I was feeling crap and I have started again now.

It is amazing how much my diet has changed in that short time! I have a huge shake in the morning that usually lasts me until lunch time and a fruit snack at lunch time and a main cooked meal in the evening. As well as taking the 2 dogs a walk daily for about 1-2 hours this seems to be a good combo for me as the weight is actually falling now hooray! Half a stone gone and another one and a half to go!

I strongly dislike being overweight. It is tiring and when I hold up my trousers they look enormous and I think that is the size of my arse - enormous! Bleurgh. Edit marrers have you tried googling food for calorific content?

Well done on the weight loss. Lol about holding up the trousers - whenever I see my friends skirts and trousers on hangers I always think I'd barely fit a thigh into the waistband!

Quote Marrers View Post
    whenever I see my friends skirts and trousers on hangers I always think I'd barely fit a thigh into the waistband!
    Geez, I know! My roommates wear size 0, one is in like kid sizes... and I'm like...what?!? I'm at a 6, but I don't think I can get that small! They're tiny!

Oh and awesome job Marrers and vavavegan!!

sugarmouse

Yay I am glad this thread is so buzzy!

I am tryin to lose weight and be healthy.. smuch as my student lifestyle allows!

Today I made a pan of tomato and basil soup (made with veggie juice,tomatoes stock and soy milk..and ate that thru out the day along with two big bowls of green salad..
    I went the gym and ran at 9km for twenty mins.

Then late evening I had more soup, couple crispbreads and went on the rower later for ten minutes.

Had few cups of coffee though.Bad! And lots of water.

Everyone in this thread sounds so fit! I'm going to start doing yoga again i think...
    Breakfast: weetbix w/ gluten free/low-fat soymilk topped with mixed berries
    2x green tea

Lunch: Starbucks venti light-soy iced latte (mmm)

Snack: peach

Dinner: onions, garlic, celery, 1/4 pumpkin, lots of spinach in a tomato/basil sauce
    fresh iced green tea

1L water

Quote cedarblue View Post
    i'm so unfit i'm exhausted too
    Quote Marrers View Post
    Me too cedar!
    Quote cedarblue View Post
    i've been swimming again today. 12 lengths and i feel good! hoping to go again either wed or thurs.
    Quote Anik View Post
    Everyone in this thread sounds so fit!
    not everyone (speakingfor myself of course, i would say i was healthy but not fit) - but we ARE trying. join us for the ride anik!

i feel a bit weary today but i'm still going swimming again even though i know it may wipe me out.

Gosh I'm looking forward to the summertime! More outdoors time to take nice walks in the sun

@ cedar - I envy you your swimming although I can't be doing with it myself. I strongly dislike the idea of swimming in everyone elses bodily fluids - and yes I know about the chlorine - but most of all I can't be bothered to keep my 'garden' trim!

I love swimming but it's the chlorine that puts me off - wrecks my eczema prone skin. Plus the fact that I can't swim properly because I hate to get my face wet, so I don't get all the 'exercising every muscle' benefits people do if swimming correctly.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I love swimming but it's the chlorine that puts me off - wrecks my eczema prone skin. Plus the fact that I can't swim properly because I hate to get my face wet, so I don't get all the 'exercising every muscle' benefits people do if swimming correctly.
    hee hee you need to go in covered in LARD like those channel swimmers

I'm thinking more wet-suit and snorkel!

you'd need a burka suit!

Quote vavavegan View Post
    @ cedar - I envy you your swimming although I can't be doing with it myself. I strongly dislike the idea of swimming in everyone elses bodily fluids - and yes I know about the chlorine - but most of all I can't be bothered to keep my 'garden' trim!
    i don't worry too much about underarm hair as it only gets 1/5cm long before it's shaved again, i find if underarm hair gets too long bacteria clings to it and i smell more legs get a once a week do and as for other areas, i just adjust my swimsuit before coming out of changing room and again before coming out of water - plus i have my towel poolside to carry infront of me!!

Quote Marrers View Post
    i don't get my face wet either, although it gets a bit wet occasionally, i never dip my face under the water - still half way exercising is better than none for me.

i go between 7.30am and 9.30am (usually about 8.30 after doing school run on the way) when its lane swimming only and usually only a few grindles there. today lane time is 12 - 1.30pm so going then.

what about if your bikini line reaches your knees?

My friend has a swimsuit which has short legs, like cycling shorts - kind of like one of those old fashioned bathing suits. Hard to find but worth it!

Can anyone please help me get an exercise programme together using weights and machines? I've searched online but everything seems geared towards men wanting to build muscle. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a good site for women. I don't go on the machines very often as I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I'd like a programme that will tone my whole body, lasting approx 30-60 minutes and I need to know how often I'm supposed to do it.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well