Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46
Results 2,251 to 2,270 of 2270

Thread: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Default Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

I'm officially faster than my lane mates in the fastest lane in the AM Ann Arbor Masters Swim Team. I lapped just three out of five people (other than myself) in a 400 IM, and I almost lapped the last two on the last lap but couldn't figure out how to get around them. Then I lead the lane again in 5 X 100yds on the 1:20. I thougt I needed more recovery to do a fast 500yd free, so I let a friend who used to be faster than me in long distance free lead... what a mistake. I caught up to him in no time, and by the end I wasn't even tired at all. I led the rest of the practice from that point forward.

I think that since it was only 4k yds today, I'll go try and hit the pool again for some sprint sets and a run.

What I need though, is more food. Damn I'm hungry.
    context is everything

Wow - that's really amazing xrodolfox! Well done.

I found I had far less energy for jumping today, could only do about 60 before needing a rest. Strange how some days I can do it easily and other days I really struggle - I wonder why that is.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Rest is what makes muscle grow and fat fade away! Doing less is your body telling what sort of routine you need.

Plan a hard day, and then an easy day, then a hard day, and then an easy day... etc.
    context is everything

You guys are doing so well with your exercise! Last night I walked and walked and walked for about 3 hours, postering for some anti seal hunt events that are taking place this weekend. I'm sure that counts as exercise, because I was absolutely exhausted by the end of it!

Quote Roxy View Post
    You guys are doing so well with your exercise! Last night I walked and walked and walked for about 3 hours, postering for some anti seal hunt events that are taking place this weekend. I'm sure that counts as exercise, because I was absolutely exhausted by the end of it!
    That sort of exercise is the best!

It's great for animals, and walking at a moderate pace helps burn more fat than intense working out like the sort of very intense swimming or running or weight training I do. My exercise burns glycogen, not much fat.

Today, I burnt off a whole mountain of glycogen. (After warming up and small pre-set) I did a HARD set of 4 X 100yds on 1:10, then kicking (as active rest), then 3 X 100yds on 1:10 again. Ugh... Most kicking, then pulling drill, and everyone was getting out of the pool, I, like a genius, decide to do some 4 X 100yds IM, on the 1:20. WTF was I thinking? I made them all, under the 1:15, but I was SHOT.

So I go home, take the kids for several hours, then decide to hit the pool again with a friend passing through town. I lift weights as I wait, for 45 minutes of mostly biceps, and chest until failure, and then I do 12 X 25 sprints, and then 3 X 200yds on the 2:25. Ugh. I have no idea what came over me.

Then baby sitting at a school. Then coaching my swimmers.

What a day.

I realy enjoyed that vegan ice cream when I got home. (and so did my kids, who just fell asleep)
    context is everything

well done marrers for really sticking with the bouncing!

Pilaf

I always seem to make the biggest health gains when I exercise casually but regularly. I do something almost everyday now, but not enough to exhaust me. I did leg squats at the gym yesterday, and jogged today..will probably jog again in the morning and do upper body lifts at the gym the day after. I get good results with as little as 20 minutes a day. I've lost 35 lbs of fat this year and am back down to something resembling a healthy body weight for me, so I'm happy.

That's interesting rodolfo, thanks. I'll start keeping a note and see whether there is a pattern to it that I can work around.

I'm starting to do a few other moves on the trampoline now to try to get a bit more benefit. Missed yesterday cos I was away but have been on it today and my legs feel quite tired.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Awesome job Roxy and Marrers! I can't wait to join you on Monday!

Pilaf, I agree with you! I find once I'm in shape, I can easily maintain it with just 20 minutes of cardio a few times each week and basic yoga each morning. The hard part is just getting toned enough to be satisfied and maintaining it!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I'd love to be able to swim properly, I can do a reasonable-ish breaststroke but my front crawl resembles a demonic combine harvester. It's the main reason I don't think I'll ever manage to do a Triathlon.

Maybe I'll try and get some lessons sorted out, but they are bound to cost a fortune.

I did 42 lengths of breaststroke at Guildford Leisure Centre yesterday, I must admit my shoulders feel a little stiff today.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I'm now going to try increasing the time spent on the trampoline - instead of doing lots of high energy stuff really quickly I'll be spending at least 10 minutes doing a variety of high and lower energy things. Hopefully I can add a minute to it every day or every two days til I have the stamina to do at least 20 minutes (when I have time, but aiming for at least 4 times a week).

I'm also thinking of trying out another gym which a friend goes to because it has chlorine free water (or it may be reduced chlorine, he wasn't certain). He is encouraging me to have a go at the mini trampoline classes with him there as well as some swimming.

Another friend has been raving about Power Plate machines for a couple of years and they now have them in the gym I used to belong to.

Sometimes I feel like this is my own personal thread! Where is everyone else? Busy doing the 30 Day Challenge? I'll still post here cos I'm trying to do this long term.

Have been keeping this up and doing 10 minutes a day.

Hey Marrers, you're doing awesome! Did you decide on the gym yet?

Well, I'm hoping to join in this thread with you again soon! I need to get my eating back on track and have a free night after classes/ work to get to the gym. I've had classes all day, exams in the evenings, and work in the afternoon/ evenings. It doesn't leave much time to eat or exercize.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I don't post here anymore as some people didn't like the daily food intake being iitemized and that's my best way of remaining focused and staying on the fit and healthy track. It's unfortunate. I don't want people to become bored with my posts but I think it helped keep myself and others who prefered that method motivated. But good luck to all you people doing a great job

I'm now up to 15 minutes on the trampoline and can do several sets of 20+ star jumps and other exercises without flaking out so I think my stamina is definitely improving!

Listening to my ipod while I jump makes the time pass a lot easier but I still want to know why a dry day turns rainy almost every time I go out there!

eta Haven't had the time or inclination to investigate the pool and mini trampoline clases at the gym any further yet ella, but I was just thinking today that I could do with learning some new moves to make my time on the trampoline more productive (current moves are becoming easy) so I guess I'll have to do it soon.

I joined a gym last Wednesday and have been four times Feel a little little bit in my joints but I'm realizing that I was overdoing it by going by what the books and magazines said. They always say 3 sets of 12! They don't say do one set of 12 for 6 weeks. I dunno, maybe other people don't need to do that. Anyway, feel very positive about it. I am very proud of myself too. Maybe I am coming off wrong but I feel like a lot of people feel bitter towards me for finally doing it.
    Last edited by Haniska; Mar 28th, 2008 at 04:58 AM. Reason: more
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I'm up to 20 minutes a day on the trampoline now.

I'd like to ask about having rest days from exercise. I know it has been mentioned somewhere a while back (maybe this thread or the running thread?) but it also came up elsewhere recently (but I didn't want to take that thread off topic). Can those who know about this please post advice on this.

Is it okay to do 20-30 minutes of the same routine of trampoline jumping every day or should I be taking a day off every now and then or doing a different activity once every however-long? If I need a day off or a day of something different how often should I do this?

I have felt fine doing it virtually every day so far (it's been several weeks now).

Tin-Tin

generally speaking with only 20-30 minutes a day you should be fine
    rest days are usually used when your overloading your body during session and trying to build up muscle
    so you should be fine
    unless of course you want to try the overloading theory?

it basically just a different type of routine
    you can either do a steady amount and do it every day
    or you can really burn yourself out during workouts and do it every other day to let the muscle rebuild

in the end its just personal choice to be honest, and what you have time for, but do remember that some theories work better on different people of course

(p.s - usually the overload and then rest routine is used in sports like bodybuilding as its generally associated with lifting weights, but trampolining is cardiovascular, so i think you should be perfectly fine with the routine you have already)

=]

ok im gonna shut up now, hope this answers your question, i did almost become a sports physiotherapist so the info should be pretty correct . . . unless anybody else knows different ??? =/

Thanks Tin-Tin.