Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 2270

Thread: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Default Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

So I've been thinking that I'm NOT gluten intolerant. My tummy issues (constipation and gas) have not gotten better since adopting a mainly gluten-free diet. In fact, adding some wheat bread back into my diet has helped me... I've been more constipated since trying to be g-f...which is just doesn't make any sense.

I have no idea what's wrong with me!

I was reading some women's mag and there was an add about overgrowth of yeast in your digestive tract. Symptoms include gas, bloating, constipation, and fatigue--all of which I have. Maybe I'll research it more.

In the meantime, I am going to see my doctor. This isn't normal. I'm also going to get my iron checked too because I'm always so tired all the time now.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Seaside

That's exactly what I was going to suggest, Tigerlily, a yeast overgrowth. I've been on a yeast control diet since July, and I have not felt this good in a long time. It was the last thing I suspected, since I have never been on a course of antibiotics, and never had a vaginal yeast infection, which are the top two indicators. It is a tough diet to follow, but if that is what's wrong with you, the results are worth it.

I've had yeast issues too, as a matter of fact, I've been very sick with it after finishing an antibiotic treatment too early. I had to stay off bread, sugar (including fruits and SOME veggies high in sugar), mushrooms, vinegar... and some more stuff that I can't remember. For me this was only an emergency diet and not really a well planned candida diet. But it did help, and I was better after a few days or a week. I've had some minor symptoms after that too, but very light, and usually after I've eaten too much bread and sugary stuff over a long period of time.

I tend to feel a little sick when I'm on vacation in places where I can't find much vegan food and have to resort to bread, pasta, sweets and junk. Rainy and humid weather can also play a role.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Tigerlily - How much roughage do you eat?

A good amount. I don't have an issue with consuming not enough fiber.

I'm too scared to try such a restrictive diet if it isn't my problem. Is this something a regular doctor recognizes as a health problem? I don't want to try the diet unless I know it's my real reason.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    A good amount. I don't have an issue with consuming not enough fiber.

I'm too scared to try such a restrictive diet if it isn't my problem. Is this something a regular doctor recognizes as a health problem? I don't want to try the diet unless I know it's my real reason.
    Are we talking about the yeast overgrowth candida?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candida_albicans

If yes, then doctors do recognise it, it is very common.

Aka thrush???

As for FitDay. I have seen references to this a few times on VF, and I don't really understand it.
    Why are people keen on it?
    Is it not better just to eat a healthy balanced diet with a wide variety of natural foods?
    There are enough vegan cookery books and nutrition books and info packs from veggie charities to help us know how to eat healthy, so there must be some other reason for the interest in Fitday?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I know for a fact I don't have a yeast infection. There's nothing wrong with my vagina. But I have constipation, gas, bloating, fatigue, which I guess is a symptom of too much yeast in your digestion system (not vagina). I'm curious if a doctor would know what that is. I only ever hear of it from "natural medicine" sites and people who are self-medicating themselves.

As for FitDay people are using for calorie counting. A healthy, balanced diet is great but if you eat 3 bowls of brown rice and a 10 pieces of fruit, the calories do add up and you will gain weight...even from "healthy foods".

Seaside

I was convinced by a customer of mine who shared most of my bizarre and unrelated symptoms. She goes to a holistic doctor who practices alternative as well as mainstream medicine, and diagnosed this for her. I did not see a doctor Tigerlily; I went on the diet and it worked. If I cheat, I get sick again. So that's how I figure I have a yeast overgrowth. I no longer have fatigue, indigestion, bloating, vertigo, toxic headaches (the kind you get from not eating. I used to have to eat something by 11 o'clock in the morning, or I would get a migraine. I am now headache-free. ). And I have lost thirty pounds I never thought I would lose. My customer stayed on the diet for at least six months, and there are things she must avoid eating to stay well, but its not a life-long necessity. If your symptoms are not bad enough to make you want to change your diet you may find a doctor who can prescribe a yeast-killing drug, and this may be all you need. But if you have dietary habits which promote yeast overgrowth, there will always be a potential for trouble, since yeast is naturally occurring in the human body, and it is impossible to eliminate entirely.
    Some of the foods that are restricted at the onset of the diet are common allergenic foods, and you need to eliminate them so you don't get confused over exactly what is causing you trouble. As you heal, you gradually add them back and see if you feel sick. Your reaction to anything that you can't tolerate will be much more severe than in the past, so it will be pretty clear what your trigger foods are. You don't have to ever be hungry, but you do have to give up sugar (even fruits at first), flour, fermented foods, wheat, corn, and soy. The first three weeks were the hardest for me, and I do use stevia (they've got really tasty flavored liquid stevia now), but its nothing to be frightened of, Tigerlily. I like to eat as much as the next person, but I have done it, and so can you if you want to.

I did use fitday to keep track of the protein content of my foods, since I had eliminated so many protein rich foods from my diet. I had no trouble ensuring that my nutrient intake stayed high, even on the limited number of foods I was eating.

My symptoms are live-able. It's an annoyance and inconvenience.

I don't know. It's sounds like so much food eliminations. It might be bad for my mental health.... personal issues I don't feel like explaining in such a public forum.

tigerlily, the only reason to use fitday is definitely not just for calorie counting. i MOSTLY use it to count my protein, fiber and vitamin/mineral intake, aswell as watch my sodium.

herbwormwood, im keen on fitday because i can see how much nutrition im getting with it. i dont have alot of options for food, or variety, so unlike alot of vegans who can just eat a vast array of foods to guarantee them that theyre getting good nutrition, i have to monitor my food to make sure i get enough. i usually only have one or two vegetables, a couple protein sources, vary limited access to fruits, (barely ever can i eat fruit) and a few grains. oh and sunflower seeds, but no nuts. i cant have more than that because its too expensive, so we deal with what we can. i also cant eat gluten, so again, my options are more limited than most vegans. its very hard for me to get enough fiber and protein and nutrients, and the only way i can be sure is to monitor it. it really helps me to make sure i get enough and im very happy i can use it to make sure i stay healthy. im sure that i wont need to use it when i have access to a variety of healthy vegan foods but for now its needed and im fine with that, id rather be healthy and monitoring my nutrients than be oblivious and get sick from not getting enough. i also have to monitor certain nutrients for my asthma as advised by my naturopath as i need to get alot of certain ones to help. i also need to monitor my calcium alot, aswell as take supplements because osteoporosis not only runs in my family, its also a side effect of an asthma medication im on.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Seaside

My symptoms are live-able. It's an annoyance and inconvenience.

I don't know. It's sounds like so much food eliminations. It might be bad for my mental health.... personal issues I don't feel like explaining in such a public forum.
    That's alright, Tigerlily. A person has to be ready emotionally and mentally to undertake significant change of any kind. It took me long enough myself, although I had gotten really sick. It was the vertigo that pushed me over the edge. I couldn't function, and until I mentioned it to my customer, who also had it, I was unable to find any explanation as to why I had starting getting it. But I suspect I have had this syndrome for many years, as I look back on many of the health issues I have experienced. Most of them have been too minor to deal with, up til now. It would probably have been easier to do at any time before my symptoms became overwhelming, but when your symptoms are manageable, you don't feel like you need to do anything. I'm just so happy to be well now that I am too enthusiastic about it. My only wish is that I had come to my senses a little sooner.
    If you ever change your mind PM me, and I will be happy to help you out.

*hugs* to tigerlily. i hope you can find out whats wrong with you as soon as possible so you can feel better quick!

Quote Seaside View Post
    That's alright, Tigerlily. A person has to be ready emotionally and mentally to undertake significant change of any kind. It took me long enough myself, although I had gotten really sick. It was the vertigo that pushed me over the edge. I couldn't function, and until I mentioned it to my customer, who also had it, I was unable to find any explanation as to why I had starting getting it. But I suspect I have had this syndrome for many years, as I look back on many of the health issues I have experienced. Most of them have been too minor to deal with, up til now. It would probably have been easier to do at any time before my symptoms became overwhelming, but when your symptoms are manageable, you don't feel like you need to do anything. I'm just so happy to be well now that I am too enthusiastic about it. My only wish is that I had come to my senses a little sooner.
    If you ever change your mind PM me, and I will be happy to help you out.
    Thanks.

And thank you Tina.

I was just reading how depression and anxiety can mess up with your digestion system. I'm going through that right now so maybe that could also be the cause.

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    As for FitDay. I have seen references to this a few times on VF, and I don't really understand it.
    Why are people keen on it?
    Is it not better just to eat a healthy balanced diet with a wide variety of natural foods?
    There are enough vegan cookery books and nutrition books and info packs from veggie charities to help us know how to eat healthy, so there must be some other reason for the interest in Fitday?
    I'm keen on Fitday because I can not only track my calorie intake, I can also make sure I am getting the correct amounts of iron, protein and other essential vitamins and minterals. I guess I like to be in control like that, rather than not knowing and just hoping I'm getting enough.

I also give blood once every 2 months, and I like to ensure that my iron intake is as it should be, so that I don't get turned away from donating because I don't have enough iron in my blood.

I stopped using Fitday for a couple of weeks, and I don't know.....I just really disliked not knowing how many calories I was consuming and weather or not I was achieving the correct amounts of everything that I need.

ive still been maintaining my weight, although thats not what i want to do LOL. but atleast i havent gained any.

ive been really trying to watch my nutrition, and drinking a ton of lemon water everyday, aswell as tea. i havent been getting much exercise, but i got a good workout today cleaning up mold that grew *rolls eyes* i was sweating and panting and puffing because it was behind couches and whatnot, so i cleaned for about an hour and a half and afterwards i was really sweaty and tired so i definitely think it was a good workout!

hows everyone doing?

Yogini

Well, I haven't been taking good care of myself lately. I've been under a lot of stress what with the end of the semester being this week and I feel like crap.

Today hasn't been much better. I had sunflower herb pate with crudites for brunch , a serving of EmergenC, and about 1.5 cups of chocolate soymilk. That's it. I was going to make soup for dinner, but I'm low on stock and am too lazy to wash out the soup pot. Maybe I'll toast some pumpkin seeds in tamari, although that's really overdoing the seeds for the day. I did about 30 minutes of gentle vinyasa and took a probiotic supplement.

hugs to yogini. im sorry you are under lots of stress! i hope you feel better soon

yesterday i ate kindof crappy cause i was really really sick, dizzy and weak (dont know what was wrong with me) and i couldnt be arsed to cook anything.

today is my birthday and for my birthday dinner (which ive been planning a long time lol) is going to be vegan "egg mcmuffins" and hashbrown patties and apple juice. im making the mcmuffins with scrambled tofu on toasted and buttered english muffins. one will have vegan bacon slices, and one will have vegan sausage patties (yves brand) and ofcourse, a slice of vegan cheddar cheese that will be melted. mmm mmm mmm. im very excited and i think it will be absolutely delicious. i havent had an egg mcmuffin for probably about 4 years, and i used to love them, but am very excited to have my first scrambled tofu mcmuffin as my birthday dinner theres nothing better than old favorite classics, veganised. its always comforting food for me. (it reminds me of my mom to eat things i used to eat but veganized)

so today definitely wont be a healthy day, but i dont care because ill eat whatever the hell i want on my birthday lol.

I have been trying to count my Weight Watchers points again. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. I'm just going to eat somewhat normally but just count my points. I started last Saturday. I weighed myself last night at the meeting and I lost 1 pound. But I hadn't weighed myself all month but I'm sure it's because of the counting points.

Yogini

Until my semester work is done (Tuesday for coursework; Saturday for TA work) I'm trying to concentrate on just eating healthy and not so much lean. Plus I have no money or time to grocery shop, so I'm making do with the odds and ends in my kitchen.

I had Not Tuna Pate on millet toast for brunch and did 30 minutes of Pilates. My next meal will be pasta with Mock Peanut Sauce (from Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People) and salad. Today I've taken a packet of EmergenC, one bone supplement capsule, and my endocrine meds.

I have been feeling really low, am fighting off depression and so have not been eating well which really doesn't help. Last week i pledged to make an effort to eat better and so far have been doing so with the odd treat. I am hoping that eating more fruit and veg will make me feel a bit better and also will help me to lose a little weight which will also make me feel better. I am also pledging to unpack at least one box a day (we moved house 3 weeks ago and still have so many boxes!!) and do my housework jobs.

Last night I spoke to one of the foster children my mum keeps in touch with - she is doing a course to do with joining the army but she is on the verge of being let go as she is not keeping up with the rest in terms of fitness - the main part of this is a mental block as she doesn't think she can do it plus she tenses up cos when she is slow her team lose and are punished for it (given press ups or something) and then blame her. My sister has done some EFT with her and I have arranged to go running with her twice this week. This will be good for her as it will increase her fitness and also she will see how fit she really is cos believe me I can only run for about 5 minutes (not very fast) before I am fit to collapse. I figure this will help with her self esteem and to realise just how well she is doing! It will be good for me as I will get out in the fresh air and exercise which will help my mood and my attempt at weight loss. So that's tomorrow evening and Friday afternoon. Wish me luck as I really can't run far!

Monday x

Hello Everyone!
    Breakfast: Luna Bar

Snack: Peanut butter crisps

Lunch: Pineapple, Salad with cucumber and tomato, and Silk Yogart

Dinner: PB&J with chips and salsa

Snack: Green beans and Corn

Exercise: 35 min. kickboxing class and 45 min on the eliptical machine

Yogini

Well, I finished the last of my work for the semester early today. The rest of the day has been very nice.

Breakfast: Zen tea with 1 tsp agave nectar; homemade smoothie (1 banana, 2 oranges, 1/2 cup soy yogurt, 1/2 packet rice protein powder)

Lunch: salad (baby green mix, baby spinach, celery, carrot, green onion, and dressing of olive oil, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice.)

Dinner, which is cooking right now: burrito casserole (mashed pinto beans, brown rice, tomato sauce) with Tofutti sour cream

I did 40 minutes of yoga this afternnon and am planning on another 30 minutes after dinner is digested.

I think this only comes to about 1300 calories, so I have a small snack coming. I'm not sure what I'll have.

Guess who weighs 145 now?

Yogini

Quote Yogini View Post
    Well, I finished the last of my work for the semester early today. The rest of the day has been very nice.

Breakfast: Zen tea with 1 tsp agave nectar; homemade smoothie (1 banana, 2 oranges, 1/2 cup soy yogurt, 1/2 packet rice protein powder)

Lunch: salad (baby green mix, baby spinach, celery, carrot, green onion, and dressing of olive oil, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice.)

Dinner, which is cooking right now: burrito casserole (mashed pinto beans, brown rice, tomato sauce) with Tofutti sour cream

I did 40 minutes of yoga this afternnon and am planning on another 30 minutes after dinner is digested.

I think this only comes to about 1300 calories, so I have a small snack coming. I'm not sure what I'll have.
    And I finished off my lovely healthy day with about 8 oatmeal raisin cookies.

Chalk it up to and end-of-semester treat. I'll get back on the wagon tomorrow.

Guess who weighs 145 now?

Alright!! Good for you!

I think I've packed it on this last week or so. I haven't been eating very healthily. However, tomorrow is a new day!

Good luck Roxy! How much do you weigh now, if you don't mind me asking?

sugarmouse

aww congrats Tigerlily!! I am glad because I knew it was getting you down, not that you were overweight anyways!!!
    I am too scared to weigh myself!

Thanks Sugarmouse. According to all the BMI and "healthy weight" charts, I technically am overweight.

Good luck Roxy! How much do you weigh now, if you don't mind me asking?
    Last time I checked, I was still 136 (same as a couple of months ago). I just feel like I've gained some pre-menstrual, pre-Christmas fat this week. I'm not going to bother getting on the scale until after my period at the end of next week.

I don't think I'm going to weigh myself for a couple of more weeks. I don't like weighing in regularly, for some reason. I like it to be a "surprise".

Me too. It's been a while since I weighed myself - probably about 3 weeks I think.

Damn those President's Choice Peppermint Thins!! They're addictive aren't they!

I haven't bought anymore...I don't want to eat them all!

We finished one packet already and opened a second packet tonight. I only had 2 though!

Suuuure.

They're sitting over there in the kitchen calling softly "Roooooxxxxxxyyyyyy". I'm ignorning them. I AM!!!

Haha.

sugarmouse

lol!

I am overweight too tigerlily...but I am a size 12 and I dont think that is overweight?I would like to be thin tho! I darent weigh myself.it depressses me thinkin I was once 6stone and now I am over 10

According to this online chart, I'm 10.35.

It's also hard to judge about sizes because everyone fills out sizes differently.

Well, it's my birthday so I'm sure I'm not going to be eating too good today..but I started off ok.

Lunch: Luna bar, orange, and a Silk yogart
    Dinner: Mexican food and a lot of margaritas!
    Snacks: I'm sure there will be many of them

Yogini

Happy Birthday, wmenke!!

My day:

breakfast - smoothie (orange, banana, strawberries, soy yogurt), green tea w/agave nectar

lunch - brown rice w/Earth Balance and Red Star nutritional yeast

dinner - salad (baby greens, spinach, broccoli, celery, carrot, scallion, homemade maple & mustard dressing), sunflower seed and almond pate with carrot and celery sticks

dessert - mug hot chocolate

exercise - 70 minutes yoga

Yogini

I'm trying to get back on the wagon after the holiday bacchanalia.

Breakfast: smoothie (soy yogurt, rice protein powder, orange, banana)

Snack: two maple tahini cookies

Lunch: a ton of homemade hummus (1.5 cups of chickpeas worth), crudites

Dinner: soy yogurt with rice protein powder, banana, and 1 tb maple syrup (I had planned on a salad with dressing and pumpkin seeds, but needed something high protein and low fat to offset the cookies)

Supplements: 2 calcium/D capsules and a probiotic capsule (had I known I was going to have a second serving of yogurt, I would have skipped the probiotic)

Exercise: 80 mins yoga

Kirska

I'm in the process of losing a bit more weight and becoming more active. Huraw! Wishing you all luck.

I was at 150 last week, and now I'm to 140. I think I'll lose another 10 pounds or...just around that. It wouldn't be hugely healthy (imho) to go under that for a 5'8'' male. I've gotta get out and bike more or something to gain some leg muscle. : P

Do you mean you lost 10 pounds in one week? Are you sure it's healthy to lose that much weight so quickly?

Yeah, that sounds really unhealthy. I think the healthy weight loss for a week (I remember from Weight Watchers) is between 1-5 pounds the first 3 weeks, and then 1-2 lbs after that.

Kirska

Healthy to lose that much weight so quickly? It's not a question of how much in what time, but HOW and how much. : ) I get a lot of rest, have a lot of fasting time, and eat very pure foods. It's perfectly fine for me to lose that much weight in a week. I used to weigh 210, you know, and lost down to 170 in just about a month. I hear that rumor a lot, really; That it's unhyealthy to lose so much. I think it originally came from people selling weight loss programs. It would make perfect sense that they'de want to work something in to spread the butter thinner. It promises them a better, smoother income, after all.

In truth, I eat very healthily, and whatever I lose is fine for me to lose. There's such a thing as under-nourishment and then there's healthy dieting which leads to cleansing weight loss, which comes naturally and is initiated by your body for the purpose of cleaning itself.

I think I'd die if I was trying to lose weight and had to wait weeks and weeks for 10 pounds of fat loss... Not that I'm impatient, but even without trying I lost more than that and don't have the dreaded wrinkles or extra skin everyone's so afraid of. I say it's healthy to lose any amount of weight that your body force-cleanses out of its system while you're on a normal, healthy diet.

BTW, I suspect I was losing just around a pound a day. It might not have been just one full week, but a couple of days along with it. : )

Ok well good luck with that! I hope you're able to stay healthy and that you don't put all that weight back on after losing it so quickly!

Kirska

Eh? Never have, never will! AH haha! I'm the greatest! (XP)

Oh, hey, I have a question...

What's everyone's goal shape, here? Just curious. For the people that do wish to change their body shape and diet and all, what exactly are you going for? Anything in particular?

Just a slimmer stomach/less of a pouch. My upper body and legs aren't bad at all.

Okay, after 2 weeks of eating whatever the hell I want, I'm climbing back on the wagon tomorrow! I'm soooo sure I put on at least a couple of pounds over the Holidays, so it's back to it tomorrow!

I'm going to walk to work, I've planned out breakfast and lunch (but can't think as far ahead as dinner yet). And I even made my lunch in advance (chickpea, corn, red pepper, onion & tomato salad with fig balsamic dressing).

I'm actually looking forward to getting back into the swing of things (exercise, using fitday, making a conscious effort to eat healthy).

mmm...that fig balsamic dressing sounds awesome - do you make it yourself or if not, what brand is it?