Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 2270

Thread: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Default Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

I bought it a while back for my boyfriend to put on his salads, and I haven't even tried it myself yet - so I hope it's good!! I usually use a sweet onion dressing on that type of chickpea salad, but I don't have any here - so fig balsamic it is

It's actually a bought dressing and it's the only vegan dressing in this line of Wellness Dressings by Renee's.

Thanks Roxy, I don't think I have seen those before, but I will have to look around.

You're welcome. Here they're not sold in the natural foods stores, but rather in the big grocery stores, in the produce section.

The Fig Balsamic is the only one that's vegan, as the others all contain some kind of fish oil for the Omegas.

I'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow, after I've eaten my salad

Blech - Fish Oil? How horrifying! Thanks for letting me know, I will definately not be buying anything other than the Fig.

I know - gross huh!!

pavotrouge

I haven't written in a while because I just can't manage to stay healthy for longer than three weeks in a row...since November, I've had a severe cold always at the beginning of the month T_T

My doctor prescribed me some zinc tablets to help my immune system, but I'm ill again...I've eaten healthier than ever and it's not like I'm running around in a T-shirt all day...any ideas?

Could it be stress, pavotrouge? Stress will lower your immunity to colds and flu.

Well, today was my first day back on the wagon, after over-eating during the holidays. It wasn't the healthiest day ever, but it was good for me.

1612 calories
    22% fat
    281 carbs
    44g protein
    I also over-achieved on my RDA's for iron and vitamin C.

Wildflower......
    that Fig Balsamic dressing was ok. Nothing to rave about and the only reason I'd probably buy it again, is because I've got a couple of free coupons to use, for that line of dressings.

pavotrouge

I've already considered stress, but don't know how and where to cut back more...I'm working 8h a day but wouldn't call my job extremely stressy (except for at the moment because half of my co-workers are on holiday)... I don't have any regular things such as sport going on...there were times when I had a lot more to do, was certainly stressed, but didn't get ill...

I suppose it's really the tram ride...I commute to work by tram (30mins one way) and everyone there is just sneezing and coughing around carelessly T_T
    So should I wear a mask?!

It could be the tram, especially if it's heated and there's no fresh air circulating. But then again, it may come back to the problem being your immune system not being strong enough to fight the bugs.

You could try a mask, if it doesn't make you feel like an idiot.
    I know it's common practice in some Asian countries.

Quote pavotrouge View Post

I suppose it's really the tram ride...I commute to work by tram (30mins one way) and everyone there is just sneezing and coughing around carelessly T_T
    So should I wear a mask?!
    Make sure you keep your body temperature up. If your immune system is not the best you are vulnerable to infections when your body temperature falls. Have a hot drink before you leave for the tram and when you get home. And wear warm clothes and a warm hat. If the weather is fine and you feel safe it may be better to walk, if you can rather than getting the tram every time.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

regarding the 10 pounds in one week, if i fast i lose a pound a day. so if youre really only fasting for health and losing weight is a by product, i dont think it would be terribly unhealthy. i do think it would be unhealthy if this was the only way you were losing weight, and were only fasting TO lose weight. ofcourse not eating is never a good idea, but i consider fasting mainly a health or spiritual issue. weight loss from it is a by product to me. (i fast everytime i get sick or when i feel i need a "cleansing" in a spiritual sense)

but whatever makes you happy and healthy!

regarding health, my health isnt terribly well right now. i have a couple of health problems going on right now. i have abnormal cells in my cervix that could turn to cancer which was confirmed by the doctor, and i also am having heart and lung problems. the doctor is concerned about my heart and i may need to go on prescription diuretics due to unnecessary pressure on my heart. i may be developing the disease that killed my mother. its called primary pulmonary hypertension and the life expectancy with it is quite low. so im not having a good time of it right now, but other than that, ive been going for as many walks as i can (3-5 times a week, woohoo!) ive got a new winter coat so i can go out in the cold now, and its got a collar that when zipped up goes over my nose and mouth so i dont breathe in the cold air (bad for my asthma) ive maintained my weight. i would like to lose, but i was eating crappy over the holidays, and i suppose maintaining is quite good compared to gaining. so sigh about that, but ohwell.

hope everyone else is doing healthy and well this 2007.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

cvC

Hi Tina,

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems and would suggest that you have a look through this considerable resource on urine therapy and the marvelous cures that have been effected with it:

http://naturinologie.info/english.html

There are stories of people curing themselves of cancer in a short period of time and here, from a book written in the first part of the last century, is something about how it helped someone's heart problem:

"Mr.R. Heart disease with dropsy. Feet, legs ans abdomen greatly swollen. Heart much dilated. Doctor took a bery serious view of the case, and gave the patient only a month to live. He was then induced to try treatment in a well-known Naturopathic Establishment. The treatment, however, proved so unsuccessful and the patient was in such a critical conditio that he was requested to leave; seeing that he was expected to die within a fortnight. Mr. R. then heard of the courageous Naturopath, Mr. Oliver Warnock-Fielden, of Harrow who eventually cured him with urine-therapy in six weeks. During the fast his weight was reduced from about 12 to 7 stone 11 1/2 lbs. Mr R. had been a very excessive smoker, and contrary to instructions, smoked to a certain extend during the fast - matter which somewhat delayed progress. Meedless to say, his doctor was very surprised at his cure; the more so as Mr. R. had thought it wise not to divulge the modus operandi. As things stand at present, many people who do something so unconventional as to drink their own urine are afraid to be ostracised by society. Their fears are quite understandable, but obstructive to the spread of urine-therapy as a means of helping suffering humanity."

http://naturinologie.info/temoignage...#Heart_disease

Something that does make it taste not very nice is the ingestion of salt.

Hello everyone, I hope that your holiday season was full of fun and excitment! Amazingly, I was able to lose weight through the season where I normally gain five pounds, so now I'm extra motivated for 2007 Here's what I had yesterday:

-Apple and cinnamon oatmeal
    -grapes
    -carrots
    -a pickle
    -banana
    -whole wheat spaghetti and sauce with mushrooms, and red and green peppers
    -steamed brocolli and cauliflower

I also managed to make it back to the gym. I hadn't been in over a month and to be honest I was a little resilient to go. There are always so many new people at the begining of the year and it's always packed. Normally the crowd doesn't get back to normal until after spring break. Oh well...I gotta work out

Hope you all are having a wonderful week!

Sorry to hear that, Tina. ((hugs)) If you don't mind, maybe I'll send some positive thoughts your way hoping you get better.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Yogini

foxytina,

I really hope your heart and lung problems clear up and don't turn out to be serious.

For what it's worth, I had the same cervical issue as you about ten years ago. My gyn froze off the offending cells and I haven't had any problems since.

Best of luck to you.

Quote Roxy View Post
    Wildflower......
    that Fig Balsamic dressing was ok. Nothing to rave about and the only reason I'd probably buy it again, is because I've got a couple of free coupons to use, for that line of dressings.
    Just saw this post...Thanks Roxy.

You're welcome, Wildflower

(((((HUGS))))) to Tina. I really, truly wish all the very best for you. You are doing the right thing, by being good to your body and loving yourself. I hope your heart and lung problems are better soon! Did you receive the results of your colposcopy yet?

thanks tigerlily, that helps!

yogini, thanks. apparently its only first level right now so they wont freeze off the cells unless it becomes second level. they said either itll go away on its own or itll get worse, so i just have to wait. they wont freeze off the cells, theyll do a cone biopsy, which could cause me to not beable to have children, so im praying it goes away on its own.

yes roxy i did, read above^ lol.

sigh.

anyways, i woke up today and decided ive had enough of not eating healthy enough. ive finally figured out why i eat so many chips. its all because of convenience. theyre easy, i can just eat them out of the bag, etc. so i tried to figure out, how could i eat healthier and still have it be convenient for me? so i decided that if i got salad that was prebagged (so all id have to do is open a bag and pour it into a bowl, instead of chopping veggies, etc.) then id probably eat that more. i also decided to try some new fruits, and snack on fruits more. i decided that i would spend the extra money on the bagged salads, fruits, frozen veggies and canned beans instead of spending it on chips all the time.

i love brussel sprouts, mushrooms and asparagus, but we never get any because steev doesnt like them, so i always just say ohwell lets get something we both like. but thats not making me happy anymore, and i miss the veggies that i love. i miss how i was when i first when vegan, snacking on veggies and fruits and good healthy things.

so today i went shopping. i got frozen brussel sprouts (with butter and salt and pepper, theyre just divine to me!) and i got a dragon fruit, passionfruit, apples, bagged salad, carrots, fruit juices that are fortified with vitamins and minerals (i usually drink unhealthy stuff) and trail mix. (my naturopath says i cant eat peanuts so i got one that has dried pineapple, papaya, coconut, raisins, dates, apricots, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, cashews and walnuts) its absolutely delicious and i rememebered too that when i first turned vegan i used to always snack on trail mix. so im extremely happy and proud of myself right now and i sure loved eating healthy today!

i also went for a walk that in total ended up being about an hour. im feeling very healthy right now.

Yay for Foxy!! Good for you - being kind to your body, taking care of yourself and being positive (((((HUGS)))))

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    so today i went shopping. i got frozen brussel sprouts (with butter and salt and pepper, theyre just divine to me!) and i got a dragon fruit, passionfruit, apples, bagged salad, carrots, fruit juices that are fortified with vitamins and minerals (i usually drink unhealthy stuff) and trail mix. (my naturopath says i cant eat peanuts so i got one that has dried pineapple, papaya, coconut, raisins, dates, apricots, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, cashews and walnuts) its absolutely delicious and i rememebered too that when i first turned vegan i used to always snack on trail mix. so im extremely happy and proud of myself right now and i sure loved eating healthy today!

i also went for a walk that in total ended up being about an hour. im feeling very healthy right now.
    They have frozen brussels with vegan butter? What brand?
    And good work! Your diet sounds delicious! Oh, I envy...(calorie counting, can't have many nuts)

thanks roxy!

bic, thanks! it doesnt have vegan butter in it, i just meant, i like to take frozen brussel sprouts, put them in a bowl, heat them until theyre cooked and add vegan butter and seasoning. theyre delicious that way!

i ate healthy again today so im quite proud right now. no chips for 2 whole days! and i had veggies for dinner! and popcorn for a snack instead of chips. i find i like it just as much and its crunchy and good like chips, but much healthier. (its got fiber and protein!)

well from eating mainly healthy since saturday ive lost about 4 or 5 pounds. in 5 days? thats pretty amazing, considering im not even trying. lol. im eating all that i want to its just that its healthy instead of processed, so im quite happy right now that my body is so happy with the healthy eating. i didnt eat very healthy yesterday because i woke up very fluish and just wanted snacky foods, but im sure one day isnt going to hurt. oh and ive lost an inch around my lower stomach area.

Alright, this seems like a good thread to ask in:

I'm trying to get fit and healthy. I'm trying to build up my leg muscles for jogging/running. I use a treadmill, typically with no incline (used to use incline, but that's another story). To build up to running I did started off with 30sec of 6mph every 4.5min. I walked 4mph between. After 5 days, I could do that without feeling tired. I reduced my walk time to 4min. Felt great. Now I've been trying to keep at 4min walk and up it to 1min of jog/run.
    The Problem:
    After doing the second 1min run, my lower legs seriously hurt. Not "my legs feel kinda tired", it's like they hurt inside and out. Really off-putting so I tend to either stop the treadmill or slow to 3mph until they feel better. Anyone know what's going on with this? I saw someone mention a plan like this earlier (maybe in a different thread?), but no mentions of leg pain that I recall.

Great news Tina and congratulations on getting back into healthy eating!

Sorry Bic - I can't really help you out, as I don't know much about this kind of thing......hopefully someone that can help will be along soon!

thanks roxy. i ate mostly healthy foods today (other than the chocolate chips) but i didnt eat very much. i have the flu and im feeling really crappy and have been in bed allllllllllll day long, so i couldnt really eat much. im hoping ill want to have some salad tommorow.

Quote Bic View Post

I'm trying to get fit and healthy. I'm trying to build up my leg muscles for jogging/running. I use a treadmill, typically with no incline (used to use incline, but that's another story). To build up to running I did started off with 30sec of 6mph every 4.5min. I walked 4mph between. After 5 days, I could do that without feeling tired. I reduced my walk time to 4min. Felt great. Now I've been trying to keep at 4min walk and up it to 1min of jog/run.
    The Problem:
    After doing the second 1min run, my lower legs seriously hurt. Not "my legs feel kinda tired", it's like they hurt inside and out. Really off-putting so I tend to either stop the treadmill or slow to 3mph until they feel better. Anyone know what's going on with this? I saw someone mention a plan like this earlier (maybe in a different thread?), but no mentions of leg pain that I recall.
    It could just be that your lower leg muscles are weak and you'll have to work on them gradually.
    Is your treadmill at a gym, if so ask one of the instructors. You may need a specific weight building exercise to build them up. You may also need to add some protien and calories to your diet...muscle gain needs these.
    Also maybe you have the wrong footwear for going on a treadmill. Different footwear could make a big difference. This is because the way the foot strikes the ground is controlled by the footwear. Incorrect foot strike can lead to muscle pain.
    Any chance of anaemia? Anaemia can cause muscles to hurt badly whilst exercising. I would suggest if the pain is severe and continues over some time you might consider discussing this with either a qualified instructor at a good gym or even your doctor.

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    It could just be that your lower leg muscles are weak and you'll have to work on them gradually.
    Is your treadmill at a gym, if so ask one of the instructors. You may need a specific weight building exercise to build them up. You may also need to add some protien and calories to your diet...muscle gain needs these.
    Also maybe you have the wrong footwear for going on a treadmill. Different footwear could make a big difference. This is because the way the foot strikes the ground is controlled by the footwear. Incorrect foot strike can lead to muscle pain.
    Any chance of anaemia? Anaemia can cause muscles to hurt badly whilst exercising. I would suggest if the pain is severe and continues over some time you might consider discussing this with either a qualified instructor at a good gym or even your doctor.
    I use a treadmill at home - officially it's my mom's, but she never uses it so I've taken it over.
    I don't think my leg muscles would be too weak (I used to hike, so I'd assume there is some muscle there), but the shoe problem could be it. My shoes are flat (no arch support) that I got after 2 hours of frustration looking for decent non-leather shoes in the mall.

Protein problems seem unlikely, I think. I've been watching my diet for the past 3-ish weeks, and I usually get 60-70g daily. My iron level is pretty hard for me to keep up, though, so I suppose I could be becoming anaemic.

Thanks for your advice! I'll be sure to get some better shoes, and make an effort to boost the amount of iron I'm getting.

Quote Bic View Post
    I use a treadmill at home - officially it's my mom's, but she never uses it so I've taken it over.
    I don't think my leg muscles would be too weak (I used to hike, so I'd assume there is some muscle there),
    Muscles can start to lose mass after just a couple of weeks of inactivity, so unless you hike regularly I would not assume your muscles are not weak. But the shoes sound like the culprit. Do you have a source for vegan sport shoes?
    You may also find these calf stretches useful
    http://images.google.com/images?clie...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I hiked outside until the weather got cold, then I switched to treadmill. There wasn't any rest time between them, which is why I assumed I wouldn't have lost any muscle.

I've been looking around online and I'll probably just order them this time. I found a good pair of vegan women's running shoes that come in my size.

Oh yes...stretching. I'll put a note on the machine telling me to stretch before hand. Forgetting as often as I do certainly can't be helping this probelm.

Thank you!

well since last saturday ive lost 7 pounds. quite amazing really when im not even trying.

What a bonus!! Congratulations Tina

Congratulations Foxytina! That's amazing

My New Year's resolution was to not eat healthier, but instead, to only eat when I'm hungry. I've come to find out that I was REALLY overeating. I feel great now that I'm really listening to my body and in reward for it, I've lost 5lbs since New Year's Day. I've found the weekends harder to handle because I'm the type that eats when they are bored, or just watching TV. Today I kind of ate too much, but I made sure that I was at least munching on healthy snacks like fruit and veggies. Only 10lbs more lbs to go

thanks roxy since starting this thread, in total ive lost 14 pounds. so thats pretty good i guess! (even though its taken a long time, but i guess the slower the better)

wmenke, i TOTALLY know how you feel. i definitely feel best and lose alot of weight when i only eat when im physically hungry, i lost alot of weight doing that and felt really intune with my body. ive been doing that again recently. i also do the same thing on the weekends aswell! good for you for the 5 pound weight loss thats amazing! great job!

My weight has a habit of bouncing up and down every so often... I'm currently 13 and a half stone, which is the same as it was before xmas - it did go back up to 14 stone but since changing my diet for the better (mainly by avoiding the supermarket across the road from work) I've managed to shift some lard.

Before I met Hemlock six and a half years ago, I was approaching 16 stone - due to too much beer (and beer-induced munchies). She reckons I've got calf muscles like tree-trunks!

We're both aiming to get fit this year, we've got a mountain bike in the shed (just need another one now for me) and we go swimming quite a bit in the sea. Our attempts at morris dancing caused more damage than good (I'll stick to being a musician thank you).

Quote wmenke View Post
    Congratulations Foxytina! That's amazing

My New Year's resolution was to not eat healthier, but instead, to only eat when I'm hungry.
    I tried that wmenke. I piled on the pounds. I'm always hungry.

Quote Bic View Post

The Problem:

Check out your shoes-it's amazing what the wrong shoe can do to your feet and legs. Also, are you stretching enough?

Soul Rebel

I've gone from 240 lbs to 182 lbs. I'm only about 5'10" tall. I get on the treadmill twice a day for exercise sine I have a desk job. I feel better than ever!

Yay! Good work Soul Rebel!

To herbwormwood and hollybee:
    Thanks for the advice about shoes. The ones I ordered arrived two days ago and I tried them out on the treadmill yesterday. I was able to get through my whole workout without any pain.

Quote Bic View Post
    To herbwormwood and hollybee:
    Thanks for the advice about shoes. The ones I ordered arrived two days ago and I tried them out on the treadmill yesterday. I was able to get through my whole workout without any pain.
    Excellent! I have also noticed a big difference when running on the treadmill-I can run twice as fast and about three times as far outside without any knee pain. Just one run on the treadmill really did a number on my knees last time I used it. I know you're in a cold place and don't really have a choice, but try not to overdo the treadmill. If possible, run outside as soon as the weather permits.

Hi

I am inputting all my food onto Fitday at the moment so that I can track calories and in this way eat sensibly and lose weight. I only started this week but so far it is working and I have lost 2 pounds!!

Anyway I am going out for lunch to day and am going to have a veggie burger from a veggie cafe. I have looked on Fitday and i can't see veggie burger anywhere - I have no idea what the nutritional amounts are for this. What do other people do when they eat something like this and they are recording everything on Fitday?

I know it only needs to be approximate but I have no idea!

Thanks

Monday xx

I am struggling to get motivated to go to the gym 2-3 times per week to do cardio. Last night I did cardio and then an induction on the weights. Hopefully doing weights as well as cardio will encourage me to go more often.

Got some sore muscles today, though, and I only did a couple of minutes on each bit of kit.

Monday - it might be better to ask the resturant to approximate how many calories they think there are, or perhaps ask them what is in the burger. When I make pancakes I have to add up the total calories of what I used to make them, and divide by how many servings it made - then add them up to however many I ate.
    I know it's different with resturants, but I think it might help to try to do a variation of that.

Quote Pob View Post
    Got some sore muscles today, though, and I only did a couple of minutes on each bit of kit.
    That's good though. It shows you've been working hard

Quote Pob View Post
    I am struggling to get motivated to go to the gym 2-3 times per week to do cardio. Last night I did cardio and then an induction on the weights. Hopefully doing weights as well as cardio will encourage me to go more often.

There was a feature in the paper here recently about peoples motivations for going to gyms and they found most people who maintained their motivation for going to the gym and kept at it saw the social aspect of it as a strong factor. So this is worth bearing in mind, to spend spme time at the gym getting to know other gym users and they will give moral support and motivation.
    Did anyone see "Dodge Ball" which is a gym comedy film (adult content)?
    We saw it recently, LOL!

monday, ask them what brand their patties are. if you find out, you can find the nutritional info online from the company that makes them, and add them to your custom foods on fitday.

if they make the veggie burgers themselves, you can find out what they put in them (ie. are they made of brown rice and veggies or soy protein, etc.) then find a brand of veggie burgers with approximately the same ingredients. then you can add that to your custom foods on fitday.

i have a huge list of custom foods on fitday.

regarding health, i went and got my blood test and echocardiogram for my heart today. im going to get my chest xray tomorrow.

ive been walking as much as i can (although i cant walk alot because it causes heart pain) and ive been eating healthy.

Hi Foxytina - thanks for that. I actually ended up having something else and was able to guess at amounts!

When do you get your test results back? I hope it is soon so that you don't have to worry and that the results are something that can be sorted out so that you feel better.

Monday xx

Quote Pob View Post

I've been a consistant gym attender for about 8 years. I go around 6x per week. How do I remain motivated?

I change my routine by attending and varying the classes I do.

I've noticed most people who 'drop off' in attendance are the ones who do the treadmill, bike, stepper routines. If you do the same thing day in day out it becomes boring.

I do a mix of cardio and weight routines for variety and maximum weight loss.

I get to know other members and look forward to seeing them every day, we even meet socially for coffee/drinks on occasion.

I look at the gym as a second job I have to go to and just turn up every day without thinking about it and deal with it when I get there. If you spend too much time pondering on whether or not you will go you will soon join the 'can't be bothered/don't have time group'.

If you feel you don't have time consider 'what is my priority here?' and for go the tv etc and get your butt into the gym or what ever exercise you do.

Get a personal trainer to motivate you.

Reward yourself for going to gym with a treat regularly.

Like any new activity the gym takes time to get used to. Give it a chance. It will be a struggle for a while until your fitness levels increase. Once they do the benefits will far out weigh anything else.

cheers
    Treehugga

Yogini

Well, I haven't checked in for a while, but things are going pretty good. Dropped another few pounds and did some shopping - my pant size and bra size both went down. Just the band size - the cup size actually went up, which had me confounded until I remembered that I've gone on HBC since the last time I bought new bras. And while the size 12 pants are still a wee snug, the size 14 were obviously too big.

Today I ate: a smoothie (apple, two small oranges, a handful of soaked almonds, about 3/4 cup water, a spoon of rice protein, and 1/2 tb molasses for the iron); 1 cup brown rice mixed with a serving tofu, 2 cups spinach, reduced sodium tamari (I'm still consuming way too much sodium), and lemon juice; two Vegan Sweets doughnuts; and I tried a raw soup recipe which was a smashing success - pureed spinach and baby greens, broccoli, cucumber, and avocado with lemon juice, garlic, and a little cayenne, with a little water to thin it out. It was super yummy and while having 1/2 an avocado in it obviously upped my fat content for the day, the soup was green, so it couldn't have been that bad for me. I may have a small salad with some Red Star in a bit. For exercise I did a new 50 minute yoga video. There were some great asanas in it I hadn't tried before, but it had me spending too long in lunges and side angle stretches. Those poses are real rough on my knees.

Yogini

Today's exercise: 35 minutes on the elliptical.

Breakfast: two slices millet bread with a bit of Earth Balance and agave nectar, a cameo apple

Lunch: big bowl of stew (veggie stock, lots of tempeh, chopped onion, carrots, peas, reduced sodium tamari, garlic, gluten-free flour)

Dinner: green salad with chopped almonds and nutritional yeast

Snacks: two more slices millet bread with agave nectar, two lollipops from the bowl on the counter at the post office

Drinks: lots of water, about 4 mugs of herbal or green tea

Supplements: one capsule bone support (calcium, magnesium, D), one capsule probiotic. Ordered some ayurvedic herbal supplements such as ashwaganda.

I realize this isn't much in the way of food (I ate about 1300, burned about 2400), but I overindulged on Mexican yesterday, so hopefully it evens out.