Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,200 of 2270

Thread: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Default Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

I'm going to do a duathlon next Sunday
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    I think once one has had an eating disorder it never reeeeeeeeallty goes, there are always the same thought processes and they exist no matter how much better you get..like any mental illness I guess. I do feel I eat a lot though, some days I realy do those are the days I am too embrarrased to post!Lol
    I agree, SM... the thoughts can remain for a looong time and really affect you negatively. But the difference between active ED and healthy, normal eating is that you don't engage in the behaviors (and even with the thoughts). Eat more, you can afford to!!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I've started calorie counting again. I want to lose weight. I've gained so much. I'm about 180lbs or so right now.

I'm using SparkPeople. I'm not really wild about it since I have to manually enter a lot of foods since it's so US-centric. Is FitDay less US-centric? Do they have Canadian food labels?

I'm thinking if I can't lose this weight on my own with the calorie counting (I have no will sometimes), I am going back to Weight Watchers. It's the only thing that I can easily stick to when I am made to pay.

Today I counted my calories but I wasn't really limiting anything and I was feeling gross so I wasn't eating healthfully. I consumed approx. 1891 cals (my limit is 1500 cals/day if I want to lose weight, according to the site). I ate 342g of carbs, yikes (upper limit is 236 which seems impossible on a vegan diet)! My fat intake is low-ish at 37g (recommended is 32-56) and my protein was low too according to SP, with only 50g.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Glad to know it's not just me sugarmouse!

TODAY

EXERCISE
    should have gone to Body combat but woke at dawn with a shocker of a migraine!

DIET
    2 pancakes with maple syrup
    1 pumpkin filo triangle (ate abour three quarters of it)
    3 pieces of homemade moist chocolate brownie via La Dolce Vegan cookbook- too yum to resist and not very fattening!
    1 chickpea and seitan crumbed cuttlet with Nigella Lawsons best roast potatoes (used canola instead of duck fat - obviously!) and cob corn with gravey.
    Soy iced chocolate
    soy cappacino
    chai tea
    water
    chai latte.

No suppliments today!

tigerlily, I use calorie-count and I think it has a lot of stuff on there! I only really have to add prepackaged stuff I buy from health food shops and such. I think they do us the USDA database though, as the veggies almost mirror the database (I know this from nutrition courses at uni lol - I don't just go on the database out of interest).

Treehugga, sorry about your migraine. You seem to get them fairly regularly!! What do you think triggers them?

Thanks, ella!

Geez, I'm having such trouble getting my calories in. I've got too much studying to do lately and I hate eating convenience foods. My schedule makes this really hard!

sugarmouse

Ugh i been so bad today. Made some pea soup, and it gave me real bad indigestion!Didnt do any exercise, ate some olives, put myself on a coffee drip...healthy i dot think!

Quote Anik View Post
    Still raining here unfortunately...just usual running around/no intentional excercise
    Welcome to my world lol. It rains for 9 months of the year here

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post

Treehugga, sorry about your migraine. You seem to get them fairly regularly!! What do you think triggers them?
    I get way too many ellaminnowpea. There's loads of triggers for me which is why I get so many. Eg: too much sleep, not enough sleep, hormones, sunshine, thunderstorms, oranges, alcohol, chocolate, loud noise, stress, execise (stubbonly I won't give this up), driving long distances, illness. I could go on. I just have to manage it as part of my life. My grandmother also had frequent migraines and poor soul didn't have the drugs like we do today. Anyway I didn't have one today so it's been great!!

TODAY

WEIGHT
    Current 70.6 Kg's GOAL 65kg's.

EXERCISE
    1 hour Body Step

DIET
    1 slice toast & homemade plum jam
    hommous dip & some bread
    cherries (small handful)
    left over potato gnocci & pumpkin sauce
    raspberry soy smoothie with Lsa (linseed, almond & sesame)
    fig, roasted onion and rosemary pizza - homemade.
    1 piece choc brownie

SUPPLIMENTS
    kelp
    cal & mag
    chinese herbs to prevent headache
    herbal sleep aid

Treehugga, avoiding citrus as much as possible has helped with my headaches as well.

Yesterday
    B: healthy meusli w/ rice milk topped w/ mixed berries
    2x green tea

S: diet coke

L: paprika/tomato & basil soup (was delish)

D: stirfryed green beans w/ olive oil, lots of crunchy garlic & a little soy sauce & baked tomato's & zucchini w/ rosemary
    green tea

2L water

I walked all day because of my job as a waitress then walked home which took 20mins so very active day

Today:
    B: usual brown rice/tomato/spinach/garlic/onions
    white tea
    I felt really nauceous after this i duno why

S: orange

L: small green apple

S: Starbucks venti shaken iced green tea (plain)

D: tabouli (with no grains in it), an orange & white tea

1.5L water

walked around all day for school etc (no intentional excercise)
    feel pretty healthy atm just tired from lack of sleep

B: brown rice w/ tofu, carrots, zucchini, capsicum chilli & a tiny amount s sauce
    white tea

S: apple

L: small fruit salad & white tea

D: grilled eggplant stacks w/ cooked tomato/onion/garlic/parsley
    green tea

1.5Lwater

no intentional excercise I need to start evening walks I think im getting the flu

I bought the book Skinny Bitch. There isn't that much actual weight loss advice, it's just re-hashing all the things I already knew about why veganism is important. Meh.

sugarmouse

Right..I was contemplating buying that too!
    Hope everyone is doing good.
    Today I ran for 25 mins at 9kmph and over . At work I munched thru 2 packs of sesame snack thinies 155 cal each, and some rice cakey things...total 505 cals then jus got home and am just light eatin becase I am goin to have nap, jus had some veg soup and salad.yesterday was too sleepy to do anythign apart from work and sleep!Both days I walked to work and back briskly tho...thats 20 mins ish each way.

SM, you ran for half an hour on 505 calories? Are you doing okay? I seriously think you need to get some more calories in throughout the day so you don't end up sick! I don't want to make you uncomfortable at all, I just know your calorie needs must be at least four times this!

sugarmouse

I dont run everyday, and I dont eat so little when I am at home rather than working thankyou for your concern x

Today this skinny bitch did:

EXERCISE
    1 hour body step

DIET
    2 slices wholemeal toast with homemade plum jam
    1 turkish roll and pumpkin & basil dip
    spinach triangle with mashed potato, cauliflower and vegan cheese sauce.
    grapes
    raspberry smoothie
    1 toast & peanut better
    water
    chai tea
    black tea

SUPPLIMENTS
    iron, C & B12 sublingual
    4 x livertone

My new job entails a lot more physical activity than any other job I've ever had before. I'm constantly moving and spend a lot of time lifting and moving heavy boxes. I'm so sure I must be burning a lot of extra calories. I just want to be careful, not to use that as an excuse to consume too many extra calories.

Good sperm

Right..I was contemplating buying that too!
    Hope everyone is doing good.
    Today I ran for 25 mins at 9kmph and over . At work I munched thru 2 packs of sesame snack thinies 155 cal each, and some rice cakey things...total 505 cals then jus got home and am just light eatin becase I am goin to have nap, jus had some veg soup and salad.yesterday was too sleepy to do anythign apart from work and sleep!Both days I walked to work and back briskly tho...thats 20 mins ish each way.

Still not eating enough. Not even close. More more and more carbs.

Carry on like this and you'll be in hospital. Plus your body will refuse to lose any weight as it will be in 'starvation mode' and it will try to turn everything you eat into fat. You keep getting ill and needing to sleep because you aren't eating enough.

sugarmouse

It will probably make you even fitter, Roxy!

AMF, I am not sure how to do any different.My regime has made me lose weight and become more toned...it has worked and I am happier with my body now. I just dont want to put any on, and I still want a less flabby belly!

I thought I Was sleeping lots due to the aftermath of my mental illness and emotional tiredness. I am almost over it now.I stil lthink any more food and I wil balloon!Lol

sugarmouse

Right so ..today.I cooked.. and nibbled whilst doing so had couple of crispbreads wih purespread, cappucino.. few soy beans as I cooked.

Also dranks lots of water. Then I hada nap for coupel hours, and woke and went the gym.Did 18 mins on the cross trainer (treadmill was taken) then ten mins on the treadmill when it became free.

Later on, salad, more soy beans, cup full of rice noodles..Nothing feels satisfying though.I think I wil lwait until I feel hungry and make soemthing nice later

Edit..Its later and I made potato chips (grilled,mind) I amgoing to be up late this eve so am making some veg soup too...
    Edit, Ididnt eat my veg soup instead had a bowl of salad with olive oil and morepotato fries..but I grilleed them didnt fry them.

I am almost over it now.I still think any more food and I wil balloon!Lol

you know what im thinking!!

I think our bodies all have d/t needs. I used to consume much smaller portions and stayed relatively slim. Then when I had kids and breastfeed ate much more (although still healthy) & put on 2 stone. Some people can eat huge amounts and stay slim others just have to glance at chocolate and put on weight - that's me now I think!

TODAY

EXERCISE
    1 hour Body Combat (on a very hot day I might add!!)

DIET
    2 slices wholemade toast & homemade plum jam
    1 turkish roll with olive oil and homemade dukkah (ground nuts & spices)
    banana soy smoothie with LSA
    2 homemade apple and cinnamin high fibre/protein muffins
    Indian veg curry & rice

SUPPLIMENTS
    4 x livertone
    multi
    B12
    kelp

Have been sick fdr the past few days & after i eat something i feel nauceous
    yesterday:
    b: brown rice w/ tabouli mixed though
    green tea

S: green tea

L: orange

D: eggplant/pumpkin/tomato & parsley dish
    2.5L water
    had 6 beers then ate a wrap filled w/ tabouli (spose its better than consuming fries when your drunk)
    walked around

& today...
    b: brown rice w/ onions & garli cooked in a little seaseme oil, carrots & celery w/ salt reduced soy sauce
    2x green tea

S: orange

duno what else, probs pumpkin soup later & will go for a substantial walk, do some lunges etc

TODAY

EXERCISE
    1 hour Body Step

DIET
    2 slices w/meal toast & jam (sick of this I've gotta say)
    1 small piece coffee slice
    2 potato sesame croquettes & salad
    pumpkin lentil soup
    white dinner roll
    apple & cinnamin high fibre/protein homemade muffin
    water
    black tea
    chai tea
    summer fruits rooibos tea
    jasmin tea
    I'm a tea addict!!

SUPPLIMENTS
    multi
    kelp
    4 x livertone

sugarmouse

TOday was real bad! I just couldnt eat normally...Ihave grazed.But luckily as I was studying I made a huge pot of cabbage soup to have as I was in all day.
    Besides this I hae eaten half a pack of crispbreads,steamed veggies and two bowls of salad...so even thou.gh I have been eatin a lot its all low cal.
    Exercise was minimal though..I did a bit of workout video..thats it.Rest day!

B: brown rice w/ tomato/basil/garlic sauce
    green tea

S: jasmine tea & diet coke

L: large salad w/ mixed leaves, marinated artichoke, few olives, grilled tomato's, cucumber & roasted spicy capsicum

D: stirfryed green beans w/ garlic & a few drops salt recyed soy sauce
    green teax2

2L water

I worked on my feet all day & will do some lunges/stretches tonight...I'm trying to loose a few kilo's in 2 weeks without seriously depriving myself, I hope to achieve this by doing more excercise (my faling point)

Also, my skin has been kinda bad atm & was wandering whether anyone new of any particular foods that they find improve theirs?

Last night we tried doing some pilates/kick boxing/general work out videos, but they were all so ridiculous and didn't know what they were doing, we only spend about 8 minutes on each, and then just did our own. I realized how much more out of shape I can get in 2 months of no dancing!

I'm gonna try sticking to the promise we made ourselves of sterting to run at the park once it was warm, but we haven't got a chance yet. PLUS, we can't start biking again because his bike needs repairs and money is slim.

Diet is going better, started getting 1/2 of our groceries as produce, and meals have gotten yummier. My water bottle broke, so I have to wait to buy a new steel one, so drinking water all day is tough. I never thought being poor could stand in the way of health!

sugarmouse

It does Sniv! I still find healthier eating to be more expensive alot of the time. I am lucky enough to have access to a free gym though.

Today I made a consious decision to not restrict food and eat ''normally'' .It didnt go so badly.

11 am snackcrackers (low fat) coffee (at work)

3pm mug of soup, 2 popadums. bread crust

Napped from 330 pm until 6pm

7 pm, mock duck with mash and a cup of broccoli soup(home made) Drank water throughout the day.

Not exercised though at all apart from a brisk walk for 20 mins earlier

Quote Anik View Post
    B: brown rice w/ tomato/basil/garlic sauce
    green tea

S: jasmine tea & diet coke

L: large salad w/ mixed leaves, marinated artichoke, few olives, grilled tomato's, cucumber & roasted spicy capsicum

D: stirfryed green beans w/ garlic & a few drops salt recyed soy sauce
    green teax2

2L water

I worked on my feet all day & will do some lunges/stretches tonight...I'm trying to loose a few kilo's in 2 weeks without seriously depriving myself, I hope to achieve this by doing more excercise (my faling point)

Also, my skin has been kinda bad atm & was wandering whether anyone new of any particular foods that they find improve theirs?
    Hmmm your diet doesn't reflect much protein or Essential Fatty Acids which would improve your skin. But I'm judging you on this post alone! If you add a small handful of almonds, brazil nuts and one other source of nut as well as various seeds you would be getting more of these vital nutrients. Our skin and hair relect our health so you need to go through your diet and work out what is missing. Do you have 3 types of fruit each day? Several sources of quality protein such as soy, nuts & seeds, lentils & beans? I usually sprinkle nuts and seeds over my salad, cereal, in smoothies etc.

I agree with treehugga. I've noticed that when my diet is lacking in fats (<20% of intake) and essential fatty acids, my skin and hair gets very dry and blotchy. I think including some sources of EFAs would be great.

Thanks guys that advice, I usually prefer to use olive oil instead of consuming nuts (only eat them when they're in meusli) & as for the protein part, despe claims protein keeps you full for longer, I get full from carbs which sustain me, but I do eat protein several times through the week...My skins always been kinda bad, I'm on the pill for you skin as well & although it has improved, its still not as peachy as I want it. I guess time will tell. Btw, is there a thread on here somewhere about Acne?

B: three-bean mix (protein ), mixed in with wilted spinach & roasted sweet potato topped w/ lime/macadamia oil/djon/white win vinegar (this was a seriously good & fillig breakfast yeeeeeah!)
    green tea

S: apple

L: carrot sticks & green tea

D: bowl homemade tomato/celery/carrot/garlic/bail/parsely/oregano soup & some gilled eggplant strips

probs green tea later
    1.5L water

Going for a walk tonight, the weathers finally good

What results are you folks seeing? What are you goals?

I rarely peruse this thread, but I was alarmed by how few calories people were consuming. Unless some of those low calorie diets were part of temporary fasting, or part of a low activity lifestyle, many of those meal plans seemed to hover on ED; at least to an unexperienced onlooker like me.

I guess I'm a bit concerned, as someone who really doesn't know much about ED, and is certainly not qualified to diagnose it. I read these posts and I get worried as it seems like too few calories.

But then it might just be me and my frame of view. My wife, kids, and I (all vegans since the mid 1990's) all eat MUCH MUCH more calories than most of the meal plans I've seen here, and that's us trying to cut back on racing through pounds and pounds of food every day.

We all manage quite a healthy weight, and I'm meeting my goals of building muscle mass to improve my competitive swimming, and my wife is meeting her goals of building endurance for a long-distance bike ride (more info in my signature), and my kids are growing like weeds. But we all eat a lot more calories than just about all the meal plans I see here. None of us seems to have unusual metabolism (well, perhaps me, since I carry more muscle and muscle increases resting metabolism; but I'm not "huge" either. I'm a swimmer, after all, not a body builder).

So I'm posting here out of worry, and I hope that by hearing what your goals are, and your results, and your methods, I might quell my fears that much of this thread is slightly hidden ED.
    context is everything

Good sperm

Quote xrodolfox View Post

So I'm posting here out of worry, and I hope that by hearing what your goals are, and your results, and your methods, I might quell my fears that much of this thread is slightly hidden ED.
    Neither am I qualified to talk about EDs but I share your concerns

I agree. I have read some of these eating plans and in fact wonder if I am really greedy as I eat a LOT more! Example - yesterday...

Breakfast: large bowl of Weetaflakes with soya milk and blueberries

Snack: cereal bar

Lunch: two brown pittabreads with houmous, mixed seeds and sliced tomato. Bag of crisps. Soya yoghurt. Apple. Two satsumas.

Snack: cup of miso soup and 1 ginger nut biscuit

Dinner: sliced tofu marinated in homemade barbecue sauce with couscous and vegetables.

Drinks: 1 litre of water, 1 glass of orange juice, 3 cups of redbush tea, 1 regular tea, four glasses of squash, 1 glass of wine

I do exercise 4-5 times per week (running and swimming) but even if I wasn't I would still be eating much closer to my current meals than some of the meals on here...
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Like Holly I eat well throughout the day.

My current issue is the reverse of what seems to be the norm lately - I eat too much.

I've always eaten what normally a marathon runner would take in in calories - and always burnt off the excess. However I was unable to do any exercise for quite a while due to knee ops/medical issue/spinal problems and the result of moving about slowly has meant my weight is now 14 and a half stone.

My nutritionist (Pat Reeves) wants me down to 10 and a half stone although I'd settle for 11 and a half.

The little impact (but lengthy) exercise routine my physio has given me has not been inplemented yet - as I am desperately trying to make time for it.

Most blokes will not talk about the diet thing.

I'm afraid I have to, because I am fat
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

I agree Rodolfo, this is exactly why I've stopped posting on the thread. I'm trying to tone and become healthier, not lose weight for the sake of a lower number on the scale. I'm not going to become ill just to weigh less. Sure, I'd love to fit into smaller clothes, but I'm not going to restrict calories (along with minerals, vitamins, EFAs, and protein) drastically to do it. And I think this method of weight loss is dangerous and doesn't work unless the person does in fact have an eating disorder. I am glad you brought it up again, since I've been kindly mentioning these things for the past couple weeks without much of a response.

Personally at the moment I do no exercise and am trying to only eat when I'm hungry which means I have drastically cut down from the amount of food I used to eat. But although I have lost 1 stone / 14 pounds since New Year I am still roughly 3 stone / 42 pounds over the high end of my ideal weight. When I am eating I try to eat healthily and enjoyably - some days I may not eat 'enough' but I'm not doing a lot of physical activity.

It seemed to me that this thread used to be more about motivation and encouragement which was good and very worthwhile - but lately it seems to have become a version of 'what did you eat today' which I find very dull (and perhaps I'm reading into it too much but I also sense an undertone of competitiveness and a critical edge).

I don't know much about eating disorders (didn't even know what ED referred to for ages!) but I have seen people say certain things - like listing foods - is 'triggering' and I can't help wondering if someone trying to "get fit and healthy" who has had an ED in the past would find they cannot use this thread.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I'm glad that my question prompted some responses.

I really know squat about ED, since that's one of the few things that I've never dealt with through friends or family or self. It seems like I've seen just about everything else.

I am a swimming coach for adults after my 40hr/wk, and I myself also train. A lot of folks come up to me with goals of loosing weight, and I know how to help people achieve all sorts of goals, including weight loss, but also how to do personal best times, trianing for long distance events, triathlon training (swimming), and how to win meets. So even though it isn't my focus, I know how people have successfully lost weight and kept it off.

What I see in these threads seems, in large part, to have very little to do with getting fit, or healthy, but instead seems more about control, and eating very little and over exercising (or over training at the least).

But since I don't know the individuals, and I don't know their goals, and I have no experience with ED, it is hard for me to really evaluate what is happening.

So I'm asking questions.

I know that for "health", what is more important isn't body mass, or even body weight, but rather, "inches" and "flexibility", and resting heart rate, and recovery time, and blood pressure, and things like that; not weight, or calories consumed.

The latter seems to me more generally about control, and when I think of control issues attaching to food issues, I think of Eating Disorders.

But again, i could be wrong.

So please. Please. Can someone actually participating in this thread explain a few things? 1) Goals. 2) Plan 3) Philosophy of methodology
    (ex. get fit by sun bathing because the sun is energy, or get healthy by loosing all subcutaneous fat by eating only fruits because fruits grow on flowering plants, or my plan is to get strong by only eating only fats and no carbs or protein because fats have more energy per unit mass, etc.)

PS. I too think that this thread seemed more accessible and useful when it was about supporting each other rather than logging how few calories were consumed and how many hours of aerobic exercise were completed.
    context is everything

sugarmouse

Im sure alot of that's aimed at moi so I will stop posting and just post exercise I dont want t kill the thread.
    today I did 22 mins treadmill and am goin to do my weights now xx

It's not just any one individual.

Personally, I think that this thread would raise less alarms if we knew what folk's goals, plans, and methodology were.

We can't assume that "health" and "fitness" mean the same for everyone. For example, I weight 12.86 stones. I'm 5' 10". That's an "overweight" BMI of nearly 26. But my goal isnt to loose weight. It is to gain weight and flexibilty and inprove my 400 IM and 200 IM race split so that I can make the TOP 10 US Masters for swimming in the 30 to 34 age group this year.
    Thus, my goals are to swim a 4:25 (but I'd be please with 4:30 or less) in the 400yd IM by March. My methods are to eat lots of carbs to maintain my glycogen stores daily, and to consume lots of protein on days when I lift weights. I've also changed my training routine to lift weights 6 days a week (2 upper body, 2 lower, and 2 flexibilty training, with core work every day), and to swim HARD 4 days, and to swim easy 2 days a week. My philosophy of methodology is to have my body adapt to harder near Lactic workouts, complimented by slow easy long distance sets, at least twice a week. Building muscle mass, especially fast twitch from weight training, will help me get more sprint power, since right now I'm rather horrible at sprints, and I tend to loose the 400 IM on the last 25 yards due to innapropriate sprint training.

Thus... we can't assume that everyone's goals are the same, and thus, we can't support one another well.

I don't even know what your goals are, so what does it mean for you to do 22 mins on the treadmill? I don't know if that is useful, or worthless and I should really be supporting you best by saying, "get off that treadmill! You have too much to live for!" hehe... or something like that. I know for sure that's what I'd want to hear if I ever got on a treadmill.

So... again, goals and plans, at the least, would help a lot in involving all of us in support.
    context is everything

sugarmouse

Good idea
    Well I weigh 9st 7Lb. I am 5'3 and a size 12 on average.
    I want to be 9st, I was happer with my body when I was 9st.

I did a duathlon Sunday: 21:12 for 5km running, 56:26 for 23km cycling and 10:53 for 2,5km running. Not too bad since I had lots of cramps and crashed my bike, but I'm not happy with it. Really should train cycling more often.
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

I'm glad to see the recent posts. I'd like to see this thread return to being about support rather than focusing on calories in and out.

I have insulin resistance, which puts me at high risk of all sorts of bad stuff - I was diagnosed last summer and have since lost 10% of my considerable body weight, got my cholesterol down to 3.7 mmol/l (about 145 mg/dl), got my blood pressure down to normal. I did this slowly through exercise and eating more healthily. I've got the past 40 years of a high dairy, meat and white bread diet to reverse and it's probably going to be a conscious effort for the rest of my life. (Became vegan September 2006, partly but not totally in response to my growing awareness that my diet wasn't doing me any favours).

I am currently aiming to be 10% lighter again by the summer. That's my only set goal. I want to be fitter, stronger, more flexible too but don't feel comfortable setting goals yet, it's a psychological thing. But I have some soft goals - about enjoying exercise and food, and feeling better overall.

Recently I read an article When Fitness Means Life or Death about being fit enough to save your life - what this means to me, is if a fire breaks out in my building, and I can't use the lifts, can I run down the 15 flights to the ground level, with my cat in my arms, before the flames get me?!!! That's a real life test. Hope I never have to do it for real! I'm going to see how long it takes me tomorrow and then reduce the time it takes over the coming weeks and months.

What I see in these threads seems, in large part, to have very little to do with getting fit, or healthy, but instead seems more about control, and eating very little and over exercising (or over training at the least). The latter (referring to weight in another paragraph) seems to me more generally about control, and when I think of control issues attaching to food issues, I think of Eating Disorders.
    I agree.

PS. I too think that this thread seemed more accessible and useful when it was about supporting each other rather than logging how few calories were consumed and how many hours of aerobic exercise were completed.
    I agree, again. I think I could use this thread again if it was focused on encouragement and support.

So...

1) Goals:
    -- To become more fit in order to reduce the back, shoulder, and joint pain I have.
    -- To reduce my body fat and get a more toned and fit body.
    -- To become more fit in both pulminary and cardiovascular areas (I have asthma and a heart condition)
    -- Finally, build up my immune system so I don't get so darn sick all year.
    -- Simply for vanity reasons, I'd like to fit into a size 4 pants.
    -- The most concrete goal I have is to do the last two above goals within the next three months.

2) Plan: When not ill or pain is below my threshold:
    -- Do 40 minutes of cardio on the elliptical 4x each week.
    -- Do my own yoga/ flexibility and basic calisthenics for 40 minutes every day.
    -- Eat sensibly/ transition to a high raw diet healthily. (easier said than done!!)

3) Philosophy of methodology:
    -- Doing more intense cardiovascular exercize I will improve the overall status of my lungs and heart.
    -- The combo of doing cardio and eating sensibly will help me to slowly and healthily lose some body fat (and fit into those pants!!).
    -- I also think I'll be able to keep my back, shoulder, and joint pain minimal if I continue doing the yoga every day.

Just a reminder of the first posting that started this thread off.

Nutritional goals are mentioned as well as fitness.

I am happy to see what people's average daily nutrition is as it may point to a problem with their diet - and subsequently their health and fitness.

'Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!' should cover whatever it takes for someone to get fit fit and healthy and however they choose to get there.

There are so many people at different levels of experience available on the thread - that postings have no doubt been far ranging - and so they should continue to be, if it is important to someone's personal health and fitness plan.

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    i thought i would start a thread where we all got fit together, and were eachothers fitness buddies, inspired from bodybuilders "spring shape up" thread, although this one wont be so tough, or have prizes. really its just for our own sake, and i thought what better place to recieve support than from eachother?

really i just want to get fit, healthy, strengthen my lungs and lose some excess weight.

we can all have our own personal plans, regarding on your goal. you can post in here to recieve support. wether youre having a bad day, or youre doing great!

some people may have different nutrition goals, some may have different fitness goals.

these are mine:

i would like to lose excess weight, as i know its bad for my asthma, and health.

i would like to get fit and become strong, and not tire out as easily from simple things.

i would like to strengthen my lungs especially, and my heart and everything else that comes along with it.

i would like to feed my body the most beneficial food i can afford, and give it the best care i can, as i know it deserves it.

heres my meal plan:

i would like to eat 1200-1500 calories a day, getting enough fiber, and 50 grams or more of protein a day.

i would also like to stay away from refined carbs, like white flour or sugar.

i would like to eat as many whole foods as i can. probably around 2 fruits a day, as many veggies as i can, brown rice, lots of lentils/beans, some tofu and soy products, light on the oils and start eating more nuts/seeds. and also not eat for a few hours before i go to sleep.

i would like to up my intake of raw foods.

and i also think ill allow myself one day on the weekend where i allow myself to eat whatever i want. sort of a "cheat" day. i find it helps me to keep focused on healthy eating the rest of the week and not mess up.

i would like to drink 2 litres of water a day.

but i wont be angry with myself if i dont stick to this everyday, as im sure ill vary it from time to time.

this is my fitness plan:

i would like to get some form of exercise 3-5 times a week, for 20 minutes each time. (i cant handle much more than this due to my asthma) hopefully alot of walking and my exercise videos.

i feel that this is a GREAT time to start, as the flowers are sprouting, the sun is starting to shine and fresh fruits and veggies are out in abundance. (not to mention i will soon live with only my bf, and now have more room to do things)

so who is in with me? we can make it sort of a time limit thing, where we can see where were at in a month, or we can just keep it casual and keep going and keep eachother strong.

feel free to post any rants or raves you may have that day if you messed up or didnt workout, etc. this is a supportive thread!

so anyone who wants to join, maybe post your goals, your meal plan, your exercise plan, and then we'll get started!
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

My goals are to increase my stamina to what it used to be. The plan is to go back to biking to school and work (unless work is at night),and being able to do so every day necessary without being worn out at the end of the day.

I want to build the muscles in my arms back up, so that lifting at work is easier. I'd like my legs to be as muscular as when I was dancing, and hopefully that will come with the biking.

I have some very small areas of fat I'd like to see gone, probably about 5lbs or fat at most, but I'd like to gain weight overall because my muscle mass is much lower than it used to be.

I'd like to keep half of my groceries as produce, and eat more fruits and raw vegetables, as I have more energy when I do this, and have no menstrual sypmtoms or sicknesses. This week has gone well, so continuing what I'm doing now will be good. I just bought some new 40oz. water bottles (stainless steel), so as long as I finish it while at work/school and have 2-3 glasses at home, I'll be good. I also have a problem with not eating until dinner, because I never have time to be organized about ANYTHING, nevertheless waking up early enough for breakfast plus packing two sandwiches for lunch and dinner (real diner isn't until 10, because we work until 9). So, my goal is to start having lunch packed the night before, and remembering my water bottle everyday.

As far as exercise, I figured I'd always be dancing, but it looks like that won't happen as much as I thought. I'm going to rely mostly on biking and housework (with a potential garden) for fitness, but I'm interested in adding something new. I might lok into middle eastern or ballroom dance, but there won't be money for that with tuition. I've considered a martial art, and there's supposed to be judo classes at school, but they haven't been held in over a year. A coworker's boyfriend teaches Hoshin, which is interesting in it's own right, but not particularly strength building, or cardiovascular.

I don't have much of a plan set out yet. The bike needs some repairs before it gets used again, and my schedule is very uneven, so it's hard to set a time for exercise. So far, I've just been relying on a mix of traditional yoga, and strength building yoga at home, with 10lb. free weights for arms, crunches and leg exercises, barre ballet and stretching.

Well I regularly post my goals (just focusing on losing my last 5 kilo's at this stage)and I like to see what people eat throughout the day as I am studying nutrition and find it a helpful guide to write it down.

TODAY

EXERCISE
    1 hour personal training

DIET
    2 spelt (high protein) pancakes with maple syrup
    small bag organic beetroot chips
    turkish roll with olive oil and screaming seeds herb and seed mix
    nectarine, plum, frozen grapes
    banana soy smoothie
    2 spelt flat breads with salad and tofu.

SUPPLIMENTS
    4 x livertone plus
    kelp
    B12

The vegan food pyramid suggests for a healthy lifestyle vegans should consume daily:
    3-5 serves vegetables
    2-4 serves fruit
    6-11 serves pasta, rice, cereal, whole grains
    2-3 serves legumes, seeds
    2-3 serves dairy substitutes i.e. tofu, tempe, soy etc
    small amounts oils, fats, nuts, sweets, salt.

www.veganfoodpyramid.com