Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight gain advice

Talking Weight gain advice

Hi all, I've always been skinny, even before I became a vegan about 8 years ago. The only time that I gained weight was when I was pregnant. After child birth, I lost it all and back to my skinny self again. I would love to be fatter, about 20 to 30 lbs fatter! Being a vegan is not easy on putting fat to the body or maybe my diet is a bit off. Any tips guys?

Default Re: want to be fat!

Count yourself lucky! What is your daily caloric intake? How much fat do you consume? Are you weight lifting (this is great for building definition)?

tails4wagging

Its in your genes, I am afraid!!.

My brother is thin and always wanted to put weight on. Where as me, I have been fat for about thirty years!!.

My brother is always on the 'go' never still, his metabalism is faster than me.

Yes, count your blessings, you are less likely to have health problems when you are thin. You lucky devil!!!

Are you suffering with any ailments? For an example, do your muscles ache? What does your doctor say about your BMI? I'd ask a doctor first, because after all, it could be something other than just diet. Like over-active thyroid, diabetes, etc etc.

Or, maybe you are an exquisitely healthful and gorgeous woman, just as you are!

Me too.. I'm really skinny and I always was.
    As tails4wagging said it's probably in my genes, but I still try to put weight on.
    Everyday I eat handful of nuts, peanut butter, olive or flax oil with bread, avocado, olive spread, salads with oil, etc.
    ...everything seems useless
    btw, my body mass index is 19 (http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm), which is normal... could it be that we are not skinny just everyone around us is fat?

I am skinny too - I used to have anorexia, but I have never been able to put the weight back on no matter what I do - I was thin before the ED and was unable to gain weight, so I guess as long as I am healthy who cares! I eat loads of flax oil, avocado, beans, grains, DATES - I limit nuts coz they give me eczema if I have it too much - but everything is in abundance. Just worry about your health - that is what is the most important.

Umm, come over to mine for some of my vegan cakes...?
    Seriously though, it's in your genes and there's very little you can do about it. Read one of those books that tell you how to dress to flatter your shape. It's amazing what a difference a few subtle changes in cuts of clothing can make to your overall appearance.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Quote DoveInGreyClothing
    Umm, come over to mine for some of my vegan cakes...?
    Seriously though, it's in your genes and there's very little you can do about it. Read one of those books that tell you how to dress to flatter your shape. It's amazing what a difference a few subtle changes in cuts of clothing can make to your overall appearance.
    i love vegan chocolate cake. they sell them at fresh n' wild, tastes ok, a bit dry though.
    yea, i know it's probably my genes. my mom is also slim.

California! (Here I come, right back where I started from...)

Default why this weight loss? eek

Now, I've been trying to lose a tiny bit of weight in the past few months. But for a few weeks I've just been laid-back about what I eat, and I really haven't exercised enough . Yesterday I decided to check up on my weight, just to see. I was really surprised, like Whoa! This scale has got to be wrong! I couldn't have lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks!

I weighed myself after eating too, so maybe the scale is just messed up. But according to that infernal machine, I'm a pound away from what the BMI charts deem "underweight." My mom would freak out if she knew what I weighed right now. She already thinks that since I'm a teenager and a vegetarian, I must automatically have an eating disorder.

Anyway, after gorging myself on cookies and nuts almost to the point of exploding, I realized there must be a more sensible approach to this. How can I gain a bit of weight healthily? Should I worry about the weight I lost? I'm not really skinny, so should I lift weights or something to put on some muscle? What should I do? Can something be wrong with me? Should I consult my doctor? Should I just shoot the scale? Is the earth actually flat?? Someone help me!

Please offer any advice-- I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: why this weight loss? eek

How much do you weigh? How tall are you? What kind of stuff have you been eating? What have you been doing to lose weight? It depends on all these things, but sounds like your weight just now is just perfect. Might not be wise to try and lose any more though. Maintaining a stable weight and eating healthily are a challenge in themselves I am finding! How do you feel in yourself? Do you feel great, or not so great? And do you feel you have a balanced approach to food? Sorry, too many questions. You don't have to answer them all. Just stuff to think about....

Cryospark

Your body will try it's best too maintain your ideal weight, don't look at the number. Think of how you feel, do you feel better?Are you just anxious over the loss?
    If you think your eating correctly and your losing weight still, take note of what your losing, is it fat or is it strength and muscle. Fat is merely stored energy, you don't need it on your body, you get it through what you eat. Because your vegan you get the energy when you need it atleast you should.
    If you find it is your strength that your losing, excercise.

I'm 5'7", and my weight yesterday was at 118 lbs. I feel as fine as ever overall, and I think I have a pretty varied, healthful diet... maybe not enough vegetables...I haven't exercised enough lately, but I wonder what kind I should be doing? Earlier (like, not in the past 2 weeks) I was doing lots of jogging and jump-rope and stuff to lose weight, but then I became rather sedentary and lazy. It doesn't seem to make sense: I've lost more weight being inactive than being active! I'm just wondering what could have caused this...

Cryospark

metabolism reacting to stimulation possibly, you may want to consider eating some more at mealtimes, is your heart rate elevated? feel a little hotter then you use to be?
    excercise needs a rest time to recooperate, if you over-exert yourself obviously you will feel sluggish, excercise breaks the cells down a lil they rebuild stronger but if they break down to much then they take longer to heal and can possibly not heal well or in time so next excercise you do won't be too good you will feel weaker then before. Always complicated hey....

Exclamation Re: why this weight loss? eek

Throw that scale away, I'd say, and you'll have one thing less to worry about!

Chocoblanc I may have a possible explanation for the weight lose. I have personally experienced the same type of weight lose while making a transition from being consistently active (lots of long distance running and bicycling). Typical weight lose would be around 4 lbs in less than 2 weeks and than it would plateau there. What is occurring is as a runner my body has become accustomed to loading my leg muscles with glycogen, which is a sugar/energy that has high water content. When your body senses that you are no longer exerting yourself on a regular basis than you slowly begin to store less glycogen (which has lots of water)

Of course the reverse is true and I have transitioned from being a lazy junk food junkie to a exercise maniac with an impeccable diet only to gain weight for the first few weeks. I kind of freaked out but luckily stuck with the program and ended up slimming down about 40 lbs the healthy way- slowly. When I asked people for advice/explanation about the initial weight gain they would say that the weight gain was muscle mass. This explanation did not seem rationale since I had gained about 4-4 lbs in 2 weeks (from distance running 4-6 miles a day). Packing on muscle at that pace would require 2 of the following 3 options 1)extremely rare genetics 2) intense heavy lifting 3)or steroids- I engaged in none of these. It is more feasible that my body was begining to store more glycogen in order to accomodate my increased activity- (this was a pretty heavy crash course).
    So in short you may be losing weight but it probably isn't fat. If you start exercising again you may regain the weight, but you will be healthier and look better. It sounds like calorie restriction may be a poor idea for somebody like you so you may want to shun any notions eating to lose weight, especially if you are exercising.
    Your weight is only one of several indicators of health; however the bmi bottom range is pretty low so you may want to be very mindful and cautious of your health and well being.

Thanks for the input, everyone. waveslidah, that's an interesting explanation as I hadn't really considered weight loss as being affected by anything but the loss of fat or muscle. I guess I'll ease myself back into regular excerise and, well, see what happens

Question Best way to gain weight on a vegan diet?

Hey, my name's Andrew, I'm new to the forum. Does anyone have any advice about gaining weight on a vegan diet?

I lost about 10 pounds when I went vegetarian last year and since going vegan have maintained my weight, but I'm too thin as it is and ideally would like to thicken out a bit...

Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Gliondrach

Default Re: Best way to gain weight on a vegan diet?

Hello, Andrew.

You say that you lost 10lbs when you became a vegetarian. Was this excess fat or was it muscle? If it was fat it is very easy to put back on by eating fattening foods, of which there are many. Why do you want to put weight on? Millions of people are trying to lose it.

As far as you know, has your metabolism changed? Do you eat a lot but still can't put on weight? Do you have any strange symptoms, or has anything physical changed?

If you have lost muscle you may be expending too much energy so that your energy needs are being met by your body relying on protein instead of carbohydrates to supply that energy. This happens when there is not enough carbohydrate or glycogen and stored fat to burn. If you don't have enough stored fat and you are very active, you might be burning up protein from muscle tissue.

Regards,

Martin.

I guess the answer would be to increase the calories you consume if you can. I find this hard too, as I get too full, but if you can, here are some ideas:
    - snack on nuts and seeds and dried fruits (they are concentrated and high calorie, as well as being nutrient dense)
    - make smoothies with coconut milk, banana and flaxseed
    - add olive oil and flaxseed oil to everything
    - use vegan butter/margarine on everything
    - use dense wholegrain bread (just 100% wholewheat flour, water and salt) or Essene bread - these are higher in calories.
    - AVOCADO is a skinny vegan's best friend, as well as nut butters
    - Don't restrict vegan choccie cake!

Pilaf

Eat more potatoes... they're good for ya.

It seems that most of the vegans are very slim or even skinny, but I've even put on some 5 kilos after becoming vegetarian and then vegan. Not that I care, though. I guess my organism needed that.

FR

I do not think it is too healthy, but maybe refined carbs will do it for you. Try eating white rice, semolina pasta, and white bread. Try baking with white flour.

Tombstone

- Eat before you go to sleep; the food won't be used for energy when you sleep
    - Eat lots of nuts, put lots of vegan margarine on your bread, eat fried food
    - Always eat as much as you can at all times

The exact opposite of what most people are trying to do

Peanut butter works well ...add it to smothies, sandwiches, or just eat it out of the jar

carby foods help out too, but eating protein might work best ... like beans

You might find this helpful, even though the advice may require a bit of adapting for vegans:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/increase.html

It depends on what you have lost, fat ore muscles?

To put it short, eat what you have lost.

So if you have lost fat, eat nuts, avocado, use oil in tour salad and so on.

Muscles is made of protein, so eat TVP, nuts, seitan, tofu and so on.

What do you eat during a normal week? Many new vegans starts eating a lot of salad and so on, and that takes a lot of space in your stomach, and make you feel full before you have had enough calories/fat/protein to make you keep your weight as you want it.

Banana here have a lot of good advises, and particularly flaxseed oil is something you can drink/eat “a lot of” to regulate your calorie intake up.
    Need help finding gift! The tread is located her

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm going to try these out for sure. Maybe throw a little more exercise into my routine. Yaahhh.

Liftednevermore

** I moved this post myself after kind direction. **
    Hey again.

I know I've not been particularly active on these forums, but stuff like college and work keeps on getting in the way. >.<

Anyway, my question is regarding weight. I've been vegan for 2 years, roughly, and throughout that time I've never weighed more than 99lbs. At one point my weight dipped to 90lbs, due to the fact that I just couldn't be bothered with eating any more. It's not very fun being this thin, mainly because I can't find trousers or skirts that fit me. With a 23in waist it's almost impossible, especially in the UK, where rising obesity levels are causing a gradual increase in clothes' sizes. I'm 5ft 3, and I would like to put on weight, but I just can't. No matter how much I stuff my face, nothing will happen. The oddest thing is that I weighed almost 140lbs before I switched my dietary habits! What are the most fattiest (I'm supposing in a good way) vegan foods that you can find? Any tips on maintaining a healthier weight?

Thanks in advance
    -- Emmy

cross barer

Emmy it could be your age or metabolism. Are your parents thin? If not, were they when they were adolescents?

You're the only teenage girl I've ever heard of who wants to put on weight!

LittleNellColumbia

Question Gaining weight the healthy way

Ok. Ive been doing some research on weight gain, and how to go about it healthily.

There are 3500 calories for each pound of body weight, meaning that in order to gain one pound, you must consume 3500 calories MORE than what you would normaly have.

So if i were to gain 1 pound per week, i would have to eat an extra 500 calories per day.

It sounds easy, but i think its weird, because you'd think that if i were to eat 4700 calories in one day (3500 more than i need), i would put on way more than 1 pound!

Im scared coz i wanna try it, but im sure that id put on way more than a pound a week if i were to eat an extra 500 cals a day for a whole week!!

Because according to that, it would take a whole 8 weeks of eating too much to gain a measly 4 kg! it doesnt seem to make sense to me, coz i would have thought that eating that much would make me gain it so fast.
    I dont want to gain fast.

According to my research, i would have to eat 1714 calories per day to gain 1 pound a week.

I was wondering if anyone new anymore about this? Or if anyone has learned from experience?
    I think when or if i decide to gain weight, i shall just moniter my gain per week and see how many i really need. Sometimes these online BMR thingys arent all that accurate, coz i dont have much muscle. Because sometimes its like i even gain on 1400!! i have a slow metabolism coz i screwed it up

Anyway, if any one has more info on this, i would very much appreciate your help!

Seaside

Default Re: Gaining weight the healthy way

Do you want to gain fat or muscle? Weight training will help you gain muscle mass, and it is good for women too, not just men. You will never get like a man muscle-wise, unless you take steroids, like the professionals do. You will just have a strong, toned body.

If you want a layer of padding instead, add coconut milk and avocadoes to your diet. They are rich and calorie dense, and easy to eat if you like them.

And sit around the house and watch more TV!

Default Re: Gaining weight the healthy way

Hey happycow. I know exactly how screwing up your metabolism goes. I screwed mine up incredibly much so over the course of 6.5 years. Therefore, our bodies work a little bit differently. Weight gain is easier after starvation because your fat cells hold on to whatever they can because they've been deprived for so long. What I would suggest is try just listening to your body - or trying to (I have a hard time trying to separate how my face feels and my stomach feels as weird as that sounds) - and if you want something then eat it. Don't deprive yourself. If you're hungry or if it looks good then have it. Our bodies are amazing and can adjust rather quickly given the time. You might feel like its a ton of weight gain at first but once your body and metabolism starts to normalize and get back up to par then your weight will even out again and be where it should be. I know all of that is a lot easier said than done, but it does work! I promise! My therapist told me, she was like whens the last time you've been normal, you dont even remember what thats like. (meaning 3 meals and 2 snacks a day) And I looked at her and was like I can't do that! I would gain weight like crazy! (I felt really trapped at the time.) And she was just like how do you know? You've never given it a chance, you havnt let your body experience normal. And I slowly have gotten to that point, and Ive actually lost weight and definately have started to normalize out. So all in all the point was, listen to your body, give "normalcy" a try, and just take it slow! You don't need an exact caloric formula, I would suggest not even bother counting as that seems to be much more triggering than helpfull in the recovery process, at least in my experience. I try and stay away from numbers in general. Don't even worry about the scale number either, I would also suggest no weighing. What does it matter what that number is as long as you feel healthy and happy and at least trying to love you and your body the way it is, although i do realize distorted body image makes that incredibly tough. Hope this helped! If you have any questions at all or need to talk feel free to PM me (not that I'm trying to sound like an expert or something, just someone who can relate.)
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

LittleNellColumbia

Thanks so much for the replys! yes i definently want to gain muscle not fat! i domt want any fat it goes straight to my tum first, even wen i have a boney back etc, it goes straight to my tum bumma that.
    Im re-starting my personal training once a week which is all i can afford, then i go to the gym anouther x2 a week on top of that. Im also going to invest in some dumbells and a fitball! I want to have more tone in my legs so that i can start a jogging routine! Sometimes it just get upsetting wen it takes so long to see results, but im starting up again soon, around 0ct 12 The thing is, my weight is really low but even wen i look good it is still low. i dont have a problem with it, but its just annoyijg becoz some ppl (my mum for one) believe in BMI, and according to that i would have to be like 54kg to be healthy. I dont have distorted views but i was chubby at 54kg. Im happy at this weight but i kniow its inevitable that i will put on weight if i want to tone up and be fit. i think im so light now becoz i dont have much muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat.

Default Weight Gain Advice?

An interesting spin on the usual question, I'd like to gain some weight. I have definitely thinned since going vegan and I'm not at all happy about it. There is a serious need for an increase in fat/muscle/weight.

So, does anybody have any tips, perhaps an example of a daily diet with times, food, etc.?
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 22nd, 2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread....

Default Re: Weight Gain Advice?

Dear Antman,

If you can get a copy, the book "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis, R.D. & Vesanto Melina, M.S., R.D. is an excellent source. They have a chapter on gaining weight. Both are dieticians/nutritionists in the U.S. and the book is well researched.

Some of their advice:

Eat protein:
    For a sedentary or moderately active person, eat 1 g/kg body weight
    For an athlete, eat 1.5 g/kg body weight

Eat carbs!!
    Getting enough carbs is very important since your body will use protein for energy (instead of muscle building) if it doesn't have its preferred source of energy (carbs).

Eat more and more often

Eat more high-fat, whole foods:
    Some suggestions are nuts and seeds, avocados, tofu/soy nuts/soy milk

There are many more ideas in the book, as well as general nutrition advice that is important. I think it's essential reading for any vegan.

Some other ideas that I've read or heard:
    Eat more often - 6 meals instead of 3; eat every 2-3 hours and don't allow yourself to get hungry in between meals.

Spread out the protein - don't eat 50 grams in one meal and mostly carbs the next meal because some of the 50 grams will be used for energy instead of muscle-building.

Plan your day! Figure out what you are going to eat the day before and have it available. This gets easier in time. When I first went vegan (and was responsible for feeding myself and family) I made sure that we would get a healthy diet every day. This has now become second nature.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

FR

Eat cookies, cakes, and muffins. It worked for me, even though I wasn't trying to gain weight, lol!

Quote FR
    Eat cookies, cakes, and muffins. It worked for me, even though I wasn't trying to gain weight, lol!
    What did i say about cakes FR

Antman, could you put a list up of what you eat each day?

feral

Quote DianeVegan
    Some other ideas that I've read or heard:
    Eat more often - 6 meals instead of 3; eat every 2-3 hours and don't allow yourself to get hungry in between meals.
    Hope you don't mind me sayin Diane that I've seen this advice used to loose weight as eating 6 small meals speeds metabolism, I'm just a bit confused as to why it's given for both? The rest of your advice seems spot on, spreading your protein out over your meals will help your brainpower too. If this doesn't work antman you could always become female it seems to happen naturally for us

Feral,
    I think the idea for the 6 meals is for 2 reasons. First, if you want to gain muscle then you need to eat protein with carbs in order to allow your body to use the protein for muscle-building and the carbs for energy. Second, if you want to gain weight then you may not be able to take in enough calories in only 3 meals.

I know it's confusing because the same advice (about 6 meals) is given to lose weight. But I think if you are trying to lose then the idea is to not become so hungry that you overeat during the meals.

It's all a bit more complicated than we would like it to be (humans are not so simple, I guess). Please keep in mind that this is just the information I have read and heard at various classes, conferences, books. My background is nursing anesthesia, so I haven't taken as many nutrition courses as the above authors.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

feral

Thanks for taking the time to explain Diane, that makes sense to me now. I was just talking to hubby (athletic & does a bit of weights) and he was saying the difference would be in the type of foods you would be eating. Unfortunately, gaining weight is not a difficulty to me lol.

Good luck with it antman I know being underweight can be as upsetting for some people as being overweight, hopefully following Diane's very good advice will help you.

Quote puffin
    What did i say about cakes FR

Antman, could you put a list up of what you eat each day?
    Well, so far today I've had toast and tea when I woke up; a fruit selection during my 15 minute break at work; and just now, vege sausages, chips and a chip sandwich, carrots, cucumber, radishes, tomatoes, celery, toast, yoghurt and tea for dinner and desert.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try to implement it

Antman, that sounds like a lot of chips and bread! I love bread too but I think you could have pasta instead and some green veg. Maybe some nuts?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I struggle to find any pasta that I'm confident I can eat.

How so? As long as it's not egg pasta it should be OK. Lots are labeled vegan.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I've never really seen any. But then, I'm not an experienced shopper or vegan when it comes down to it

You're not vegan?
    - Theodore Roosevelt

tabitha

The dried stuff is usually ok my fellow Essex man. I think its the fresh stuff that is egg pasta.

Quote RedWellies
    You're not vegan?
    I am. I meant I'm rather new at it (well, close to a year - vegetarian since I was 7, though)

The dried stuff is usually ok my fellow Essex man. I think its the fresh stuff that is egg pasta.
    I'll be sure to check it out

feral

I spotted some vegan friendly pasta in Marks & Spensors the other day. Most of their other pasta's had egg in them.

Well, I've just tried an avocado. It wasn't very nice, to be honest, heh. Any tips on improving the taste?