Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain advice

Default Re: Weight Gain Advice?

Are you sure it was ripe? I love avocado!

Geoff

I'd be wary of ingesting excess fat as it's the prime cause of coronary artery disease, symptoms of which are now common in 20 year olds.
    Look at the endurance athletes in the Commonwealth Games, especially the Africans. Hardly any fat on them.
    Repeat after me: 'Thin (slim) is GOOD.'

I'm skinny. As in gaunt. Not good

Are you sure it was ripe? I love avocado!
    I think so, though I can't be sure...

Do what my cat does. She is well fat, she doesn't expend energy standing while eating - she lies down in front of the bowl and her head doesn't come out of the trough until it is all gone. She has even been known to throw up in the bowl from eating too fast.
    Then she begs the neighbours for food which is why she is so fat.
    Being stout (as I well know) is down to persistent eating, expending little energy and eating whole loaves of bread
    Silent but deadly :p

big kahuna burg

Try Dr.Nick's advice. Before you eat something, rub it on a piece of paper...if you can see through it, you can eat it!

Quote big kahuna burg
    Try Dr.Nick's advice. Before you eat something, rub it on a piece of paper...if you can see through it, you can eat it!
    Lol. Well it worked for homer

I too have trouble maintaining/gaining weight. One thing I do, to get loads of vegetables AND fat, is to steam a huge plate full of vegetables...pumpkin, potato, sweet potato, carrot, brussel sprouts, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, zucchini. Then I mix up a "dip" of mashed cannelli or borlotti beans, half a mashed avocado, my favourite vegan mayonnaise, flaxseed oil, lemon juice and herb salt.

Question weight gain??

ive been vegan for maybe about 2 weeks or maybe even 3 weeks and ive found that i like it alot. however i do get hungry alot and i dont know if thats because its just that time of the year (i usually get more hungry when its cold) or if its because im vegan. i guess the reason im thinking about this is because when i told my mom that i wanted to be vegan she told me that ill get fat if im vegan. i couldnt comprehend her reasoning behind this but then i realized that while i dont eat sweets and alot of food that usually makes people gain weight, i do eat alot. my diet mostly consists of cereal with soy milk for breakfast, half pita nan bread with humus and broccoli and other veggies with humus and banana with peanut butter and chocolate soy milk for lunch, and maybe salad and soup for dinner. i snack alot though. ive found alot of vegan foods that are sold everywhere. sun chips for instance, i eat those alot and i eat alot of apples with peanut butter. i feel like its too much and i feel like im gaining weight. today for instance i ended up eating alot of fake meat lol. i go to a university and the dining center offers alot of vegan options such as vegan riblets (SOOOOOO UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS) and boca burgers. so i ended up eating 4 of the riblets, and one boca burger (no bun) and rice. i felt like thatwas too much. i dont know. i guess im just paranoid because of what my mom told me but id love to get some opinions from others on this subject. how has veganism done for your weight? thanks alot for all the help!
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

pavotrouge

Default Re: weight gain??

Hi!

I believe that your body knows best what you need, but then again it's very hard for me to gain weight at all.
    I've lost some weight since going vegan but that might also because of starting doing sports again and loosing some of the extra weight I gained during adolescence.

However, eating too much meat substitutes and PB is surely not a good idea... I have both only occasionally as treats.

May I ask what kind of cereal do you eat? Limiting yourself to muesli or sugarfree cereal might be best.

Maybe you could post on the "what did you eat today" thread for a couple of days to monitor what you eat?

At such an early stage I wouldn't worry too much about a few pounds weight gain - your body is just adjusting to the deletion of some items and the addition of others, and it will even itself out in a little while. I remember feeling a little less full than I had felt when I first went vegan, but it wore off after a few months.

yea i guess i do eat pretty high calorie/fat foods. im generally an EXTREMELY healthy person but being away from home living in a dorm, i cannot cook for myself so im stuck eating foods that are easy to get. basically i have really sugary cereals which i know is bad but they are offered as a meal swipe so i eat either Frosted Flakes with choco soy milk, or cocoa puffs or pops. they come in little bowls so they have their portion already figured out. i exercise alot but i dont seem to be losing weight. i obviously dont eat pizzas, or alot of the desserts that are offered at the dining center. before i became vegan, about a month ago , i was huge into eating the soft serve ice cream they have there. they also have alot of cookies and i have a major sweet tooth. all that is out of my diet now so i figure the sole fact that im not eating those foods should help me lose weight or at least maintain my weight and i feel like iim gaining. but once again, it might be the paranoia from what my mom said/

Hi Scandalaxic! I've been vegan for just over a year, and I've very slowly gained about 10 pounds. I think for a while I thought I could just eat as much as I wanted, because I was eating mostly whole, natural foods including a lot of fruit and veggies. Thing is, I was also eating chips and sweets and drinking alcohol on occasion, which are obviously high-cal. I think I was eating a bit more than I needed to because I was a little frightened I wouldn't get enough protein or certain vitamins if I didn't. But I'm perfectly healthy after a year, and recently have cut back on sweets/chips/alcohol/etc. I still eat plenty, but try to keep it to whole foods with an emphasis on veggies (without adding too many oils and dressing). I eat a small amount of protein with each meal and most snacks, and keep calorie condensed things like peanut butter two a tbs or two a day. So that's pretty much what I would suggest. Eat when you're hungry and try to listen to your tummy so you don't end up eating just to eat. The easiest way for me to stay healthy is to not keep "junk" food around my house, and that way it's more of a treat when I do get to eat it. I'm sure that will be more difficult in college where you can't cook for yourself...

Good luck! Don't let your mom get to you Do what you feel is right for you.

When I became vegan, if I found something that was vegan; I would buy it/ eat it straight away, almost without thinking.Just because I was so happy to find something vegan, and wanted to support it!
    Now I still get equally excited, but I watch how many things that are high fat that I eat.

i have been vegan for about 4 months and my weight has pretty much stayed the same. Now instead of cheese I eat more PB and nuts which are high in fat and calories. I have been trying to eat more fruits and veggies. They are full of vitamins, low in calories and good for you! I eat a lot of the same foods you do. I feel like I eat a lot too. Working out helps! I love to work out!

Do you think your Mum could have been trying to put you off being vegan by saying that?

There is no reason going vegan would make anyone gain weight, and the usual perception in the general public's mind is that vegans live on carrots and raw veggies (not true of course).
    The only way going vegan would cause you gain weight is if you started eating more calorie dense foods, like chips, cakes, fried food and sweets.
    Or if you were underweight to begin with and you started eating a more balanced vegan diet.
    Nuts are ok by the way but don't binge on them as they are fairly high in fat.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

lamplady

Default Vegan food for weight gain

Hi
    I'm a foster mum and have recently started caring for a child from a vegan family. I'm not vegan myself, but with the help of vegan friends and a great local vegan shop I think I've been doing quite well with adapting meals.

However, the little girl I'm looking after (age 5) was quite underweight when she came to live with us, and she has lost a couple of kilos since moving in. She eats quite well (I make a lot of noodle/Japanese food) but the food seems to be quite low in calories so it's proving hard to help her gain weight. I've tried peanut butter but she doesn't like it. The social workers don't really have a clue and have said to give her cheese, but I'd rather stick with her family wishes, just as I'd hope a foster carer would do with my own belief and culture.

Does anyone have any good ideas for weight gaining recipes that would appeal to a young child? I know vegan children are often lighter than their non vegan counterparts, but she really is quite frail.
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Vegan food for weight gain..help please

Hello - that's nice of you, to help her stick with a vegan diet. I'm sure some of the parents here will be along with ideas and recipes soon.

Children I think can healthily eat more fat than adults, so you can add olive oil, nuts, seeds and so on to your cooking without worrying about that aspect. Starchy foods like pasta, rice and potatoes usually seem to go down well and can be mixed with a variety of vegetables.

Junk food is junk food, but as a lot of us know to our costs vegan icecream, chocolate and crisps are quite calorific and could be useful in a crisis! You can also buy vegan sausages and pies which seem to make me put on weight just from looking at them

You may find some ideas here although it's written from a vegetarian rather than a vegan stance and is more aimed at adults who've been ill:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/increase.html

And there are some child-friendly recipes here

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/kitchen.html

lamplady

Vegan ice-cream...that's something I hadn't come across I don't think they have it in our local shop but I'm definitely going to search it out. Thanks

Hi,
    have a look in the weight forum - there are few threads both on weight loss and weight gain there...

The most common brand of vegan ice cream is called Swedish Glace and it's sold by some of the supermarkets as well as places like Holland and Barrett.

Vegan ice cream: Fat, sugar and some flavouring.
    Vegan sausages/pies: Fat, salt, wheat and some flavouring.

These things will help almost anyone gain weight, though not necessarily in a good way.. Unfortunately so, for me.
    Good luck and good on you for sticking to the child's vegan upbringing.

Baked beans and chips
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Do a google search for 'vegan cake' and vegan desserts' to find out about recipes and cookery books. You can also buy vegan yoghurts and desserts that children love which you can buy in heathfood shops and supermarkets. Linda McCartney sausages, sausage rolls and pies seem to go down well with children too. You could try making vegan pizza and top them with a vegan cheese like Cheezly and cut up pieces of vegan sausage. You can also get vegan 'fishless' fingers in healthfood shops. If the little girl doesn't like peanut butter you could try other nut butters like almond, cashew and hazelnut and you can also get dairy free chocolate spreads (Biona make a very good one) in healthfood shops which she might like on toast.

One of my favourite vegan desserts is trifle and is very easy to make using a homemade vegan sponge, vegan custard (which you can either make yourself using custard powder and soya milk or a ready made vegan custard like Provamel or some supermarkets do their own brand), tinned fruit, vegan jelly and vegan cream topped with flaked almonds and glace cherries. You can also make vegan knickerbocker glories with vegan jelly, icecream, and cream which you can top with chopped nuts and fruit dessert sauces (Marks & Spencer do raspberry and strawberry sauces that are both very good.) Most supermarkets do a free 'from range' that include vegan milk chocolate as well as apple pies and bakewell tarts.

On the healthier side you could try giving the little girl avacados as they are very nutritious and calorie dense.

Hi Lamplady. Its good to see there are responsible people such as yourself in foster care. I often worry what would happen to my vegan son if anything were to happen to me and that he wouldn't be fed a vegan diet. I see you're in Manchester. As it happens theres a wonderful vegan grocery store called Unicorn Grocery. Its really big and everything is vegan. Tofu weiners (hotdog sausages) always go down well with kids as does Marigold braised tofu in a can. They also have a nice selection of cakes and biscuits and theres a deli counter sell selling pasties
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

I heartily agree with shopping at Unicorn. Although I would say that they're stuff tends to be very much health based, and wouldn't necessarily help someone gain weight, the options you've suggested are probably good for weight gain though.

Eighth Day is also an excellent place to shop if you're vegan (though the shop itself is vegetarian). They sell Swedish Glace, which I'm sure will go down a treat.

This one seems slightly tricky, it's difficult to know what to recommend for weight gain without recommending unhealthy food! Have you tried giving her hummus? I know eating too much of it on toast makes me gain weight! Other than that the bog standard calorific vegan food I eat tend to be things like vegetable curry, fake meat and cheese, chocolate, crisps, deep fried foods like chips, samosas, falafel and onion baghees. Healthier options could be seeds, nuts, avocados and dates.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

lamplady, I'm sure the Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation can help.

www.vegetarian.org.uk

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Vegan ice cream: Fat, sugar and some flavouring.
    Vegan sausages/pies: Fat, salt, wheat and some flavouring.

These things will help almost anyone gain weight, though not necessarily in a good way.
    Good point, especially when talking about a child's diet...

lamplady

Default Re: Vegan food for weight gain... help please

Thanks for all your help. I think one of the problems is that I'm quite a healthy eater (and unicorn regular )...so the thought of some of the processed things like Linda McCartney sausages hadn't crossed my mind, especially as I don't shop in supermarkets. I do want J, to have a healthy diet, but I think I might have to introduce a few more treats/ 'junk' food.

A couple of questions.....any recommendations for vegan jelly? and can anyone point me to a vegan milk substitute cooking guide as I've had some disasters with trying to make custard from soya milk.

Finally (and hoping not to open a can of worms!) what other things should I be thinking about. We do strive to be ethical consumers as a family (though it seems like a never ending struggle). I know about avoiding leather for instance, but are there any other things that might be realistic for me to do? I've learned a lot from the forum by scouting round and there is plenty of food for though there, But any key principles people can suggest would be great.

Thanks for all the help

Vegan jelly

http://www.goodness.co.uk/cgi-bin/pr.../B/JUST40.html

Dairy free custard

http://www.goodness.co.uk/cgi-bin/de...de/281165.html

I've made successful custard with soya milk by just using it in the same way as cow's milk. Some brands of soya milk can curdle in coffee but I've found I can use it in all areas of cooking with no problems.

Quote lamplady View Post
    Finally (and hoping not to open a can of worms!) what other things should I be thinking about. We do strive to be ethical consumers as a family (though it seems like a never ending struggle). I know about avoiding leather for instance, but are there any other things that might be realistic for me to do? I've learned a lot from the forum by scouting round and there is plenty of food for though there, But any key principles people can suggest would be great.
    Basically vegans try not to use or consume anything that comes from an animal (alive or dead) so that rules out wearing wool and silk, for example, as well as leather and fur. We also try to apply the same principle to other stuff we buy such as toiletries and household cleaning products - as well as choosing stuff that hasn't been tested on animals.

I agree with you about the junk food but it is a quick way to get extra calories and not all of it is nutritionally worthless (chocolate, for example, has some nutritional value, so I keep telling myself ). I would think the main thing is to make sure she gets plenty of healthy fruit and veg-based stuff as well so she doesn't miss out on anything.
    Last edited by harpy; Aug 13th, 2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling :-O

Anything with pasta: children like it and it is healthy. Veggie mince works well with tomato based pasta dishes.
    Try RealEat brand veggie mince.
    Its also something the whole family can eat.
    There is no harm in having a pasta based meal a couple of times a week.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

To make biscuits and cakes more wholesome to could use wholemeal flour instead of white and add soya flour and chopped or powdered nuts for added nutrition and make pizza bases with wholemeal flour as well.

Trouble with wholemeal is that most kids don't like it (well, I know I didn't). I know fibre is important, but it's also quite filling, if weight gain is important for her health you might want to watch that there isn't too much for now.

Small and frequent meals are a good way to gain (i.e. plenty of snacks), and nuts as have been mentioned millions of times already, are a good source of protein and fairly healthy fat. A fruit based smoothie could have something like almonds ground into it - as long as it was whizzed for long enough they would make it smooth and creamy.

I don't agree that convenience soya-based foods are necessarily unhealthy - they contain a good amount of protein, which is obviously important. Okay, you don't want to live off the all day, every day, but a few times a week shouldn't cause any harm.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    Anything with pasta: children like it and it is healthy. Veggie mince works well with tomato based pasta dishes.
    Try RealEat brand veggie mince.
    Its also something the whole family can eat.
    There is no harm in having a pasta based meal a couple of times a week.
    Yes pasta is great, just make sure to read ingredients and never get the pasta in the refrigerated section as they all contain egg. Protein helps to gain weight in my experience so beans and nuts are good. I imagine all kids love bean burritos.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Another unicorn shopper - yay!
    A lot of people have suggested 'junk' foods and sweet treats which I think are great (lol), but I wouldn't turn her diet into a junk food one (which I'm sure isn't your intention).
    I'd go with the small and often plan, and try and bulk things up with calorie dense foods, so you aren't feeding her massive meals...which she won't be able to finish and wil therefore defeat the object! Also be aware that feeding someone up very quickly can be very dangerous if they are very underweight. It puts stress on the organs. It has to be a slow and consistent process.
    Add nuts and seeds to salads. Another option is dried fruit as a handful of, eg raisins, will be more calorie dense than a handful of grapes.
    If you are counting the calories, then an increase of 500 per day on what she is burning off should help her gain a pound a week, which is about right.
    If you shop in unicorn then everything you get there will be vegan, incl household cleaning stuff, toiletries and so on.
    I think it's great you are respecting that she is vegan

oh, and for vegan jelly, you can get sachets of jelly crystals from the vegan store.

If you want a kid to eat, the trick is to have lots of healthy, calorie dense snacks available at all times. My kids eat only about 66% of their calories at prescribed meal times.

We often snack on:
    Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches
    vegan granola bars (no honey)
    vegan cookies
    vegan ice cream
    nuts (especially walnuts)
    soymilk and cereal
    ricemilk shakes (I add protein powder and some frozen fruit and put it in a blender)
    leftover pasta drizzled with (flax or olive) oil and nutritional yeast
    hummus and fried pita slices
    etc.

We try and eat our veggies and fruits at meals, but snacks tend to be higher calorie foods that can keep well in backpacks, lunch pails, and cars for just that time when the kids are hungry.

It works for us. Both of our kids are 50% of weight for their age, but 70% or more for height.
    context is everything

yes, the protein powder is a good idea.
    my partner has it in smoothies to add the calories. he gets it in large tubs from holland barratt. i think it costs about a tenner, but it IS a huge tub and would last a while.

Question Too much weight loss?

So this morning I weighed myself and was shocked. In the last week, well 6 days I lost 4 pounds. In the 2 and a weeks I've become Vegan I've lost almost 10 pounds. By no means am I eating too little, I think I'm eating more, also adding foods higher in fat like nuts and oils which I avoided before. I lost a ton of weight 2 years ago and have been eating healthy to maintain weight so I really don't think my calorie intake is changed. I was wondering if anyone else went through this when they made the switch. Is my body just adjusting to the new healthy foods? I can't loose more weight because a few more pounds will make me "underweight".
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Default Re: Too much weight loss?

I lost about 10 pounds when I went Vegan, and I haven't lost anymore, and I havn't gained anymore.

With weight there is a "set point theory" that your body has a natural weight that it will be most comfortable with, throughout time you will either lose a few pounds from your set point or gain a few...I believe this is called the plateau...maybe your body is just try to reach that?

if you feel comfortable giving out the information I would be curious to know your height and weight?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I'm 5'6, 120 lbs. I'm fine with it now, I just don't want to lose more. That last time I lost weight I never went under 118 even though I was training for a marathon and not eating nearly enough. So you're probably right.
    I've also been worried because I've had problems with stomach pain since changing. I'm sure I'm just adjusting to eating so much veggies which I never did before so I eased up for a while and feel better.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I lost weight when I became vegetarian, and lost more weight when I became vegan.
    I've been vegan for 14 years. In that time my weight has fluctuated (between 8 st 11 lbs and 10 st 7 lbs), but I'm definitely skinnier than I was when I was an omnivore (between 10 st 10 lbs and 12 stone); I'm 5 '8".
    Since being a vegan my weight has shot up if I've eaten lots of high fat foods like nuts, oil and margarine and gone down when I've avoided them.

Perhaps the solution to the so-called obesity crisis is for everyone to go vegan.
    Animals are not food, they are our friends.

I wish I had lost weight as a vegan. I think I consume too much bread etc. You'll even out soon, it's just your body freaking out at the changes to your diet I imagine. Make sure you're consuming enough calouries in your diet. Check out the vegan healthy eating pyramid for direction if you need it.

As well as checking you're getting enough calories you might want to check if you're eating more fibre than your body can deal with. If food, er, passes through too fast then you may not be able to absorb all the nutrients.

If that's happening then you might want to cut down on fibre temporarily to give your body a chance to adjust - for example you could try eating white bread rather than wholewheat, just for now. And maybe avoid too much raw veg at first as that can also be indigestible for some people.

Limiting fibre might help with the stomach pain as well.

Hi DiaShel, I think it's great you're keeping on top of weightloss, etc. For me, I lost weight initially when I went vegan. Since then, I've been able to put a few pounds back on simply from settling into a new "diet" and eating more variety. I find that more variety and knowledge about new vegan products helps. Also, the fiber issue that Harpy brought up is probably something to consider. The added fiber could be the culprit for your weight loss and stomach problems.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to say my tummy feels much better. I'm also up two pounds, I think that little dip was just a fluke. I feel healthier then ever! I'm never slept so good in my life. I've always battled with insomnia and now I fall asleep right away, which is unheard of for me. I'm also had bad skin since the age of 9 and it's starting to get better. On top of all that, I think I've beat my severe sugar addiction by not having any refined sugars. The first few weeks were tough but it seems like smooth sailing now.

If it's reassuring, our stats are the same - 5'6" and about 120lbs, and my weight found a healthy level on it's own after I went vegan.

We're also the same age, how interesting.

Default Lost weight need help!

I typed a pretty nice paragraph on how going from a horrible fast food junk eater/ soda in replace of water diet to vegetarian and vegan starting in junior year of high school was the best thing for me. As well as doing parasite,bowel and liver flushes [along with going vegan] were some of the best choices I have made for myself!
    ...But the post was deleted or something happened with my account but I'm going to try a second time.

Considering all that I have done as far as changing lifestyle and diet I also had to have lost a considerable amount of waste and junk that was resting inside of me due to the cleansing so I was just wondering what I could start doing to get back on track as far as a healthy weight. I am currently 5'9 -5'10 and am between 120-123lbs I know this isn't the suggested weight for my height so any information on how to get back on track would be great

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Lost weight need help!

Hello there. You would like to put some weight on while continuing to eat healthily - is that it?