Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain advice

Default Re: Lost weight need help!

I was like you back in high school. I'm 5'8" and struggled to keep weight on and I wasn't even a vegan then. What I did was add some high calorie foods to my day. I suggest for you nuts. They are good for you and will give you the added calories you need. Or you can add some baked goods, breads, ect. that are vegan but high in calories. I'm thinking maybe things like Lara bars.

Eat often, and eat a lot.
    context is everything

I'm your same height and I find it takes a lot of food to keep weight on. Do you participate in sports? If you're excersizing a lot, youll have to increase you calorie intake a lot. I think my recommended intake is something like 2500 calories/ day. It depends on hereditary factors as well... I know my family is a bit overweight, so I dont eat the recommended amount. But if you'd want to gain weight, you'd have to eat even more than your recommended intake by a couple hundred calories everyday. The easiest way is to eat nuts and seeds; they have the highest amount of calories for the least bulk of food.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

steven1222

Quote thrashtheday View Post
    I typed a pretty nice paragraph on how going from a horrible fast food junk eater/ soda in replace of water diet to vegetarian and vegan starting in junior year of high school was the best thing for me. As well as doing parasite,bowel and liver flushes [along with going vegan] were some of the best choices I have made for myself!
    ...But the post was deleted or something happened with my account but I'm going to try a second time.

Considering all that I have done as far as changing lifestyle and diet I also had to have lost a considerable amount of waste and junk that was resting inside of me due to the cleansing so I was just wondering what I could start doing to get back on track as far as a healthy weight. I am currently 5'9 -5'10 and am between 120-123lbs I know this isn't the suggested weight for my height so any information on how to get back on track would be great

Thanks so much!
    First off, do not use the adult BMI charts/calculations if you are under 20. People under 20 naturally weigh less than older people of the same height.

The easiest way to gain some weight while minimizing unhealthy effects is to eat more refined grains, in large amounts if necessary. If muscle is desired as part of that weight, some concentrated protein could be helpful.

Nuts, oils, and whole grains are too filling, making it more difficult to eat too much of them. Excessive fat intake can also increase cholesterol and hormone levels too much. Sugars (mono- and di- saccharides) have a variety of unhealthy effects when eaten in excess.

Default I have a plan to gain 10 lbs in 12 days!!!!

Hi everyone,

I am fed up with feeling fatigue!!!!!!!! I know I don't consume enough calories and fats, so I have developed a plan to gain 10 lbs in 12 days.

Note: I am 26 years old female. 5'8" and 122 lbs. Vegetarianism started at age five. Veganism started at age 21.

Morning: 1 Deva Vegan Multivitamin, 1 Tbl spoon Flax oil, 1 Deva cal/mag vitamin, 1 Deva Vegan DHA pill.

After taking supplements I am going to eat 6-7 small meals consisting off lot's of fruits, vegetables, rice, potatoes, avocadoes, nuts, and seeds.

Here I go!
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: I have a plan to gain 10 lbs in 12 days!!!!

The diet sounds really healthy, but I think 10lbs in 12 days may be a bit ambitious!

Good luck though.

Default Re: I have a plan to gain 10 lbs in 12 days!!!!

Wow, those Deva Pills Sound Great!!!

You Must Tell Me How You Get On With Deva!!

Deva must be the Way To Go!

Default Re: Vegan food for weight gain... help please

Quick Breads!

I too try to gain weight and so far I'm managing by eating those very rich quick breads
    for breakfast and as snacks.

My favourite (and my nephews loved it!) is

Dates and dry figs quick bread.

Get 20 dates and about 10 figs. Chop them.
    Add 1/4 cup of soy butter to them. Stir.
    Add a cup of boiling water and let them cool and stick together for 15 minutes.

In another bowl get 1 cup wholemeal flour, 1 cup flour.
    (i'm not sure it's 1 cup though, it's probably 1 1/2 flour and 3/4 cup wholemeal)
    and brown sugar and some salt and..

god, i dont remember it by heart.
    But look, if you type for quick breads you'll find the main recipe
    and then just add dates and figs instead of whatever they have .

it's great! super healthy and caloric!

congratulations for trying your best with that kid and for animals too.

Default recipes to gain weight please

I read that most vegan people lost weight.
    i'm not sure i posted this before, I'm still getting a bit lost in this big forum.

i want to make sure i dont lose weight as i'm underweight as it is.

what can i eat that's really packed with calories?
    Unfortunately i'm badly intolerant to nuts so that's a big problem.

Also, i get full up pretty fast.
    I'll eat some risotto and that's it.
    I dont feel like eating more, but rice is hardly caloric..

So anyone can share actual recipes that could quickly give me
    the calories i need?

when i was a vegetarian, my quick fix in terms of calories when
    i felt a bit low in energy was eggs.
    So what do i replace that with now?

thanks

PS I think i should eat more bananas but i read somewhere they have no calories at all ?
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: recipes to gain weight please

No that's not true - an average banana has about 75-100calories. Have you tried dried fruit- dates and stuff, as they are much les filling than fresh fruit. If you like soya, maybe try flavoured soya milk?

If you fill up quickly maybe you should eat more frequently....snack, snack, snack.
    Eating close to bedtime is supposed to make weight gain more likely (or so I read...correct me if I'm wrong).

I am one of those people who just stays the same weight. If I eat 6 meals a day I am 8 stone 3..and recently when I ate almost nothing for 2 months (due to illness) I was still, amazingly, 8 stone 3. Maybe you are supposed to be the weight you are?

Otherwise...if your stomach has shrunk (like mine did through under-use) maybe make sure you drink lots between meals? I hope you get better advice.
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

An extremely easy way to add calories without getting full by drinking juice, and adding oils to salads and recipes.

drink like 2 extra glasses of juice a day, and maybe try adding oil where you can to recipes
    isawearthlings.com

Thank you.
    A few things.

I read that fruit has basically no calories so how can drinking juice help?

As for snacks, I love sesame bars. Are they caloric ?

As for my weight being the way it's meant to be, I see your point.

I don't really want to gain weight NOW, I just dont want to risk LOSING it
    through a vegan diet, since so many here said they have..

So I'm stocking up before i risk losing it!!

Good idea about adding oil here and there...

Thank you all!

Quote vegetarian_cat View Post
    Thank you.
    A few things.

I read that fruit has basically no calories so how can drinking juice help?
    From my travels in europe, all processed foods have their calorie counts on the box and/or label.

Juices are almost all sugar, and that's almost all calories. You can check the labels to make sure.

The only things that DON'T have calories are water and artificial sweeteners. EVERYTHING ELSE has calories.

What you might be looking for is foods that have low volume and high calories: foods that don't fill you up, but that have lots of energy. Any calories taken in as liquid tend to do that well. So do any calories from fats and foods without much water. Vegan spreads and oils can pack calories quickly.

I've met many many vegans. Most are not too skinny. Some loose weight, and more gain weight. Most, however, seem to stay about the same. Weight gain or loss depends on two factors only: calorie intake vs calories expended. If you want to make sure to consume enough calories on a diet with less calorie dense foods, you've got to either 1) change the way you eat, or 2) you will have to expend less energy.

I think that it is unreasonable, and unhealthy to do #2. If you normally loose weight, and you are going to eat many less calories as a vegan, then I'd make sure to change #1 and consume lots of snacks all the time and find a good source of fats as a basis for your diet.

However, like I said, most vegans that I know don't change much weight in the transition unless it is part of their goals. There's too much veriety in vegan foods to ever go hungry.

If you lived here, I'd suggest you eat vegan chinese or thai food every day, adn you'll find yourself gaining weight in no time.
    context is everything

oooooooooooooooohh sorry!!!!
    big apology everyone!

i said that i read somewhere that fruit has no calories.
    what i read is that fruit has no PROTEIN!!!!

sorry, now that makes more sense.

So in order to gain weight, calories are enough,
    they dont have to be protein necessarily?

That's really good news.
    I LOVE fruit juices!!

I'll get more of them!

thank you

PS I hate chinese and thai food unfortunately
    But i love pasta and bread of all kinds, so I'll try to just have more snacks
    and more juices.

Glad you helped me cleared up the confusion in my head

bye

juice and fruit DO have calories, and juice is usually around 110 calories per glass, so it can add up fast and is not filling. Oil is around 120 calories per tablespoon

augh we posted at the same time, i see you know this
    isawearthlings.com

Quote vegetarian_cat View Post
    oooooooooooooooohh sorry!!!!
    big apology everyone!

i said that i read somewhere that fruit has no calories.
    what i read is that fruit has no PROTEIN!!!!

sorry, now that makes more sense.

So in order to gain weight, calories are enough,
    they dont have to be protein necessarily?

That's really good news.
    I LOVE fruit juices!!

I'll get more of them!

thank you

PS I hate chinese and thai food unfortunately
    But i love pasta and bread of all kinds, so I'll try to just have more snacks
    and more juices.

Glad you helped me cleared up the confusion in my head

bye
    yes, as long as you are eating other foods with protein and not JUST drinking juice, you will be fine. the juice can just add extra calories, you'll get the protein in other foods. You got it
    isawearthlings.com

Thank you , yes

I just needed some extra calories to ADD to what I think is a pretty balanced
    diet.

See, if I get skinnier, people and parents will be keen to point their fingers and blame veganism.

But if I put on weight, (since that rarely happens), what will they blame?

thanks again. bye

Vegetarian_cat: I have the same prob. I had anorexia, lost to 105 pounds, had bulemia, gained to 150, had anxiety probs (not related to anorexia) and lost to 105 again which is where I'm at now. Now my stomach has shrunk and I cannot eat a lot of food at once and snacking on fatty foods hasnt helped and fats/nuts make my IBS HORIBBLE. And everyone is blaming the veganism and the anorexia and UGGHHHH. Everyone seems to ignore me when I tell them I need help (psychological help) and some understanding.

What I do know that's high in cals is: coconuts, bananas, oils, seeds!, hummus, beans, lentils, and a lot of packaged food (ie. corn chips - 18 chips for like 200-300 cals depending on what brand). Also other junk food like cookies, cake, etc. But bleh on that, we want you to be healthy! :P
    www.feedingthekat.wordpress.com
    My gluten-free vegan blog :)

Lol
    Thank you Nyx.
    I think I'll add a few bags of chips now and then
    and thank you for that list.
    I had no idea coconuts were high on cals..

Cool.
    Best of luck to you too maintaining your weight..
    yes, people can be annoying.

it's good to have even just one person who truly listens..
    it makes such a difference..

I got great advice here on drinking lots of fruit juice during the day.

I find that very easy to do so let me pass on that piece of advice to you too .

Bye now

I'd still warn against consuming most of your calories as liquid sugar (ie. fruit juices and sodas).

You will certainly not loose weight consuming lots of sugar, but if it fills you up, and you don't have an opportunity to eat fresh veggies and fruit, then you'll just be filling up on empty calories.

So fill up on veggies/fruit/legumes/nuts first. Then to make sure you consume enough calories, do the juice.
    context is everything

Even if the fruit juice I have are sugar free?

Or do you mean sugar as in the sugar from the fruit?

Do you like chocolate?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I'm not crazy about chocolate ...
    It can also trigger migraines for me so I rarely eat it.

But I see your point...!!

I may start adding chocolate drops into muffins and sweet quick breads, yes.
    Good idea

PS I just baked some sesame seeds candy for the first time.
    They can do with some improvement but I think they'll make for very caloric snacks

What about breakfast? A lot of breakfast cereals are suitable for vegans and fortified with vitamins and minerals, you can add soya milk or rice milk.
    Vegan Full English Breakfast is nice, baked beans, veggie bacon, fried mushrooms, fried tomatoes, veggie sausages, potato waffles or fried bread.
    Can you eat avocadoes, they are high in healthy fat.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I'd like to thank you all for the difference pieces of advice.

I got some good ones from the www.vegetarian.org.uk too.
    They give out nutritional information for free, how cool.

So i think i have it all sorted.

i'll drink more fruit juices.
    I'll eat more frequently.
    I'll have lots of snacks with sesame seeds and other seeds.
    I'll have lots of rice, pasta and bread (and cakes).
    Bags of crisps or fried chips here and there.
    Spuds, spuds, more spuds lol
    ANd i should keep my weight and even add up a few kilos no problem

i'll let you know

yes I advice against fruit juice as well. It is not so much because of the calorie content as it is the sugar. Whether sugar comes from fruits, cane, beets, etc, it is all hard on your body to process when consumed in large amounts (and drinking juice, you get a large amount). Eating whole fruits is much much better
    www.feedingthekat.wordpress.com
    My gluten-free vegan blog :)

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    Can you eat avocadoes, they are high in healthy fat.
    Oh, I second this suggestion! I love to mash up avocados with salt, pepper and vinegar and have it on some nice wholemeal bread or toast with a few sliced tomatoes
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Wanting to gain weight

I'm 5'4" and usually around 110-115lbs. I've been pretty stressed out lately and although I haven't weighed myself recently, I know that I have lost weight. I'm guessing that I dropped at least 5lbs, which is a lot for me.

Does anyone have any weight gain tips? I do a lot of swimming and running, so that coupled with my high metabolism has made this task difficult in the past.
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

phact0rri

Default Re: Wanting to gain weight

The thing I've found to work a bit for me is fruits. I eat about a cup of fruit every morning, have a smoothie or fruit salad for lunch, and this helps out a lot. also Carbohydrates work to a point, so pasta salads are a staple in my household. Also eating protein is good. they don't impact my body enough, but its always a good idea when your gaining weight to make sure you are getting copious amounts.

I want to hear other people's suggestions too. personally I wish I had enough money to really bulk up... but I'm poor so I'll settle for just not looking like a skeleton.

there are loads of threads on here about gaining weight - just use the search button on the top right and enter gaining weight.....
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote fisherprice View Post
    I'm 5'4" and usually around 110-115lbs. I've been pretty stressed out lately and although I haven't weighed myself recently, I know that I have lost weight. I'm guessing that I dropped at least 5lbs, which is a lot for me.

Does anyone have any weight gain tips? I do a lot of swimming and running, so that coupled with my high metabolism has made this task difficult in the past.

Eat higher calorie foods, don't skip meals, even if you are stressed and very busy. If you like fruit try dried fruit as you can eat more dried fruit calories without feeling so full. For example dried apricots, dates, banana chips etc.
    If you lost a lot of weight without any reason it would be a good idea to see a doctor.

I know very little about diets and nutrition,but I weigh 100kg so I must be doing something right.

Bulking tips;

If it can be fried, fry it. Don't just eat mash, eat bubble & squeak. Fried onion sandwiches, fried mushrooms on toast.

Spread the margarine thickly on both sides of your sandwiches.

Eat between meals. Biscuits, chocolate, marzipan, nuts, dried fruit. It's all good and won't spoil your appetite, that's just an old wives tale.

Do stuff. Doesn't matter what it is, running, cycling, weightlifting. Gaining weight is no good if it's all lard. You want some muscle as well.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

Quote Big Good Wolf View Post
    I know very little about diets and nutrition,but I weigh 100kg so I must be doing something right.

Bulking tips;

If it can be fried, fry it. Don't just eat mash, eat bubble & squeak. Fried onion sandwiches, fried mushrooms on toast.

Spread the margarine thickly on both sides of your sandwiches.

Eat between meals. Biscuits, chocolate, marzipan, nuts, dried fruit. It's all good and won't spoil your appetite, that's just an old wives tale.

Do stuff. Doesn't matter what it is, running, cycling, weightlifting. Gaining weight is no good if it's all lard. You want some muscle as well.
    Excellent, lol!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Here's something of interest i just found!!

Having been a Vegan for 20 years, I have introduced many professional footballers to a vegan diet style, with many wonderful results. When it comes down to it, I have never believed in hyper protein consumption. I have never seen it do anyone a lot of good. Very lean athletes have really only one path to take to gain weight. That is, once you are getting enough protein (which requires no special effort) and enough carbohydrate (about 8 grams per kilogram of body weight) and try to make that unrefined carbohydrate, the aim should be calories, calories, calories after that.
    The best, most healthful source of additional calories are monounstaurates. So, I suggest adding at least one Avocado and a half cup of Olive Oil to your daily diet. I used this with many footballers and just watched them grow, without getting fat.
    Remember, weight gain requires calories. If you are doing the resistance training, you will stimulate muscle growth. All you have to do is provide the calories, healthfully. Good luck.
    http://www.ivu.org/faq/nutrition.html
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Default Losing weight - where are my HIPS?!

Okay this is going to sound stupid, I'm not overweight, just really flabby and not toned at all. I always want to measure my hips to see where I'm at but I don't know where to measure 'cause I've got TWO sets!
    Where does the tape measurer go?!

For your enjoyment I have provided a realistic diagram of myself via MSPaint.

Bathing suit has been added for wholesomeness.

Assist if you can, my tape measure would appreciate an end to this dilemma as I am sure he does not appreciate being thrown angrily and haphazardly across the room every few weeks due to my growing frustration.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Default Re: Losing weight - where are my HIPS?!

I believe your hip measurement is around the fullest part of your bottom - so around your lower set of hips.
    Last edited by Enchantress; Nov 19th, 2009 at 08:20 AM.

The lower set of hips (hahah) is actually my thighs though, but they are wider than my first set of hips. Still apply?

What I mean is, when I measure the second set, I am measuring part of my ass with it. I think it's delightfully referred to as saddlebags.

I think so. The measurement should be around your largest part.

WOW. My hips hips are a 35, and my saddlebag ass-thigh hips are 38.

That sounds like a pretty average difference to me. I'm 34 inches around my hip bones (just above my bum) and 36 around my "saddlebag ass-thigh" hips .

Hahaha, so when ordering things like skirts do you give them the larger measurement and hope it's not baggy in the waist?

Pretty much. Although everything is baggy around my waist, because my hips and bust are 1-2 dress sizes bigger than my waist. I think nearly all women have a larger low hip measurement than high hip measurement though.

If you are trying to reduce your size, I would suggest that you measure your thigh, hip, tummy, waist, bust and upper arm. It may be that you lose around one part and not another (you don't get to choosewhere it comes from). If you only measure your hips you may miss progress on other parts of your body.

Thank you Cookey. I measure my whole self every month or so and put it on Myshape.com. I could never figure out where to measure for the waist though, was the problem. And my arms have stayed the same the whole time, too. Poop.

Here's a diagram of where to measure your hips
    http://www.wardrobe911.com/wp-conten...wtomeasure.jpg

For a full explanation of how to measure your size check out
    http://www.wardrobe911.com/

Thank you for this thread. Not only has it amused me greatly (especially your diagram) but it's made me feel much better about the existence of my "saddlebag-ass-thigh hips!" I always thought something was wrong with my hips because they didn't seem to be in the right place according to most measurement diagrams (which seem to point to your high hips but say to measure around the biggest part).

Precisely my dear! You're quite welcome, we of the Thunderous Thighs are not alone.
    I feel like a cowboy!

Thanks for the links herbwormwood!

I love your drawing Sarah. I think I may have more than two sets by your reckoning