Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Weight gain advice

Default Re: Losing weight - where are my HIPS?!

i am sooo confused! what are saddlebags? i think i may be confused because i have mosterously obviously huge hips.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I've had '2 sets' for as long as I can remember, and I really have nothing covering them up, so unfortunatly I think I either need to actually gain some weight or my bone structure just gives me two sets.

I've always wished I could just putty up the middle part between each and just have monstrously large, curvy hips.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Default I'm Scared Of My Weight Loss

I am 5'5 ft tall, and used to weigh 117. Now, I weigh 99 lbs. T_T. What should I do? I know that if I were to tell my parents they might try making me go back, which I don't want to. I need to gain weight fast. D:

My mother buys foods that are low in carbs, because she's on a diet trying to loose weight. So, I'm wondering if that's my problem? Is it because the foods I eat don't have carbs for me to gain weight?

Should I tell my mother? Should I go see a doctor? This weight is really scaring me. What should I do?
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: I'm Scared Of My Weight Loss

Can you provide a typical day's menu? Also by "make me go back", do you mean lose more weight? If that's the case then it's very worrying, since your mother should have your best interests at heart.

Please post your typical diet so we can give you some pointers.

No, I mean by they might try making me change my diet back to how I used to eat. I've been vegan for two months.

Breakfast Meals
    Soy milk, Cereal, toast, fruit, juice, vegan pancakes, soy products - however because of my brother wanting to get early all the time for school I haven't been able to have much than a bar and some fruit, or less.

Lunch
    Sandwich pb & jelly or soy products, fruit - I would eat more if I had containers to put other foods in for school, but my family doesn't have any of that. Recently I haven't been able to make my own lunch and so I end up grabbing bars.

Dinner Meals
    Tofu, Soup, Lentils, Pasta, fruits, Microwaveable products - pretty much chow down as much food as I can. But because of afternoon and night activities on certain days, I would only have quick meals.

I tend to wake up extremely early to finish the rest of my hw. I think I know my problem now. It is all a timing issue that's making me eat less? I'll tell my mom about it. I was doing fine with my diet in the summer, and since school started I guess the scheduling for my meals has thrown me over?

My school does not sell anything vegan during lunch, so I can't do anything about that.

Hi Tsura, when I became vegan first I too lost a little weight. After a while though I put weight back on again and now it is stable. You have only been vegan for 2 months so your body is adjusting to your new diet.
    Give it a bit more time and if you are still losing weight then of course seek out more investigations.
    Last edited by sandra; Oct 3rd, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    Hi Tsura, when I became vegan first I too lost a little weight. After a while though I put weight back on again and now it is stable. You have only been vegan for 2 months so your body is ajusting to your new diet.
    Give it a bit more time and if you are still losing weight then of course seek out more investigations.
    The exact same thing happened to me as well, I lost a ton of weight, but it gradually all came back over a period of about two years. Now I'm just a little lighter than when I turned vegan.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I'm a terrible case in point, so I'll skip me... but my husband lost a fair bit of weight when he went vegan, and if now putting it back on. He's just slightly underweight now, not to the point of being ill.

I think when you turn vegan you just need to learn to include a few calorie dense products, like nuts etc into your diet. It isn't sustainable to try to put on weight by eating unhealthy calorie dense foods such as sweets, candy, potato chips because these don't have all the other things you need to be healthy in them... plus, they really aren't that nice to live on.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I checked your BMI, and it is very low; I realise it's not always a good indicator, but I think you need to do something about your weight loss quickly.

You say you get up early; this will tend to speed up your metabolism and make you burn more calories, but it should also mean you have more time for breakfast. Set yourself aside some time to sit down and eat breakfast; it doesn't take long to prepare and eat toast or cereal.

It sounds like you need to organise yourself as you say; I think this is a serious problem that you need to address.

Also could you maybe make a big pot of soup or chilli on the weekends and freeze it in portions? There's nothing wrong with quick meals but they need to be nutritious

Good luck and keep us posted

Check out this web site and fill the form in to have a free vegetarian (mainly vegan) starter kit posted to your home.

http://support.pcrm.org/site/PageSer...ure_order_form

Its published by doctors so your Mum should be ok with it. Then you can start planning a more nutritious diet. Maybe it will influence your Mum too!
    Let us know how it goes!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

The opposite thing has occured to me. I used to be 11 stone, used to eat really badly! I am now 15 1/2 stone. Before going vegan I kind of was a picky eater, I would eat very little, didn't find any joy in eating. I went vegan, discovered a world of new foods, baking, etc... etc... I do phisical exercise and I went from being the typical underweight skinny guy to being a chunky, voluminous guy. My advice would be to have a varied diet, lots of carbohdydrates, fruits and vegetables, cooked or juiced. Alternatively, I'd go to the doctor. Remember that some doctors frowned upon vegan diets. Some think it's a fad or something so I'd go for a (naturist?) doctor.

Quote Tsura View Post
    I would eat more if I had containers to put other foods in for school, but my family doesn't have any of that.
    I'm sure your family would get some if they realised you weren't eating properly because of it, but if they won't then you can put things in plastic bags (and inside a small cardboard box if you are worried about them getting squashed).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Also check out vegan lunch box for packed lunch ideas
    http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
    You don't really need a special box, just save the plastic containers from margarine, ice cream, etc and save any plastic cutlery which often get packed with takeaways or ready meals.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default Hello; weight gain on a vegan diet???

Hey everyone. My name is Gil. I just joined here tonight because I don't know any vegans and I can't talk about vegan issues with my family or friends because to them I'm just crazy and "malnourished and a nice steak would straighten me out." Hopefully this place proves to be helpful.

Some things about myself:

I consider myself as making veg*ns look bad. At ~6' 4"(193 cm) tall and ~155 pounds (70 kilograms) I'm on the very low range of a "healthy weight" and am very much what people think when they hear "veg*n," if they even know what that means. My bloodwork is all very good, but I can't really walk around and show people my charts every time I explain that I'm vegan and how lots of things have protein, even bananas. Because of this, I will probably(maybe) be trying to gain some weight in the near future.

When I'm not so tired, I will bring up some beliefs that are apparently controversial in the modern vegan "movement" and I look forward to people trying to convince me otherwise.
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Hello; weight gain on a vegan diet???

Do you eat enough? Sounds silly but you might be eating less calories than you burn, especially as a vegan diet is often lower on calories than most.

My first thought is that you don't have to prove anything to anyone. The people around you may choose to perceive you as a 'flagship' for veganism, particularly if they don't know any other vegans... but you're not. If you are happy with your weight and there are no medical reasons for putting on weight, then don't try to gain more. That would be messing around with your life to suit other people.

If you *want* to gain some weight, then yes, more calories and a higher percentage of fat in your diet (nuts, peanut butter, avocado, cold oils drizzled over other food, etc). If you are naturally thin though, even this may not do much to help.

But do what YOU want to do... your post doesn't sound committed to the idea of weight gain and I'm sensing (perhaps wrongly) that you feel you 'ought' to gain weight to help other people's perceptions of vegans, rather than that you actually want to put on weight for yourself?

Hello - this might be helpful though it isn't exclusively vegan

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/increase.html

also you might want to look at the vegan body building sites.

I agree with the others that you shouldn't worry though if you feel yourself that your weight is healthy. Anyway, if you are quite young you may find it the issue resolves itself with the passage of time. My other half was like a stick insect when I first knew him and now he - isn't

@Mollfie

I am definitely eating enough calories. I've been vegan for ~10 years now and have been close to the same weight for a while now. But, thanks for the concern. I did have some trouble maintaining my weight when I first started at 15, but since i've been able to work that out.

@Est

It's not that I feel I need to prove anything to anyone. I just want to be a better advertisement for a vegan lifestyle. I don't care either way about my weight as long as I stay healthy. So in a way I do "want" to gain weight, so I am more able to convince people that it is in fact healthy to be vegan. Really, I should have said gain muscle though. My body fat % is ~14-16% and even though I'm tired of hearing "oh, so that's how you stay so thin" every time I tell someone I'm vegan, I really don't want to just get fatter. If anything I'd like to get body fat under 10%. But, that depends on how thing go. All I know is I will have to really step up my workout routine.

@harpy

I'm 25, so if things haven't worked themselves out by now then ...

As far as vegan bodybuilding sites, they seem to just be advertisements for various brands of vegan supplements. I'm not big on supplements. It took me years to decide to take a multivitamin, so I'm planning on a less supplement based diet than I have seen recommended for weight gain. It's not like I want to get as big as the people on those sites or even gain weight as quickly as those people.

Anyway, I'll make another thread about this in the proper section after I figure out a feasible plan and such. This was meant just as an introduction to the direction I am planning on going in the near future.

Thanks for the replies and stay vegan!

Quote thegoob View Post
    I'm 25, so if things haven't worked themselves out by now then
    My husband didn't really start to put weight on until his early 30s, and that's quite common apparently. Not sure if that's good news or bad

Quote harpy View Post
    My husband didn't really start to put weight on until his early 30s, and that's quite common apparently. Not sure if that's good news or bad
    Hmm........
    Veganism is the application of the abolitionist principle to the life of the individual. It is not an option; it is essential. — Gary Francione

Default Re: Weight gain advice

lift weights
    + Eat a lot

Default Still trying to gain weight while eating healthy

Hi! This is my first post on the vegan forum.

I have been primarily vegan for at least 4 years with an emphasis on raw, plant-based foods, superfoods, supplements etc etc. I eat a lot of food every day, I'm a 22 year old male, 5'6" and 102-104 lbs no matter what, how much or when I eat...doesn't matter if it's 70% fat or 70% protein!

I just went on a 12 day cruise, completely "fell off" the raw/vegan bandwagon during the trip and decided to call it an experiment to see how it would change my weight, still eating the same large amounts I always do...

Not one pound was increased after my trip!

Long story short, I wanna gain weight (being about 130lbs+ would be ideal for my HWP). I had a complete blood test done on me & everything was OK and in range except for lactic acid.

I don't make any of this the center of my universe or whatever, but I figured I should seek advice. I'm open to any suggestions.

What's the deal? Thanks in advance to any helpers

Default Re: Still trying to gain weight while eating healthy

I'm not an expert or anything, I just wanted to make sure that you got some sort of reply to your query. Have you tried adding oils, avocados, nuts, seeds and nut/seed butters to your diet? They're good sources of fat (obviously unsaturated).
    Houmous atá ann!

Oh yeah, I sure do load up on olive oil, avocados, nuts/seeds, etc. Lots of fats indeed

Try keeping a food diary. I suspect that you may eat less fat than you realise. If you aren't gaining weight its because you aren't taking in the extra calories your body needs to put on weight or that you are very active and burn your extra calories.
    5' 6 and 102lbs gives you a BMI of 16.8, anything under 18 is considered underweight.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    If you aren't gaining weight its because you aren't taking in the extra calories your body needs to put on weight or that you are very active and burn your extra calories.
    Yeah...my Wii balance board tells me that I'm underweight everyday. I can only conclude that I am not active to the point that I burn the extra calories, and that I do need to eat more calorie meals. I will start documenting today and follow with this for the rest of the week.

Today for example, I ate about 1500 calories and 30% of that unsaturated fat. Keep you all posted!