Thread: Likes/dislikes about your province

Default Likes/dislikes about your province

So fellow Canadians what are some likes and dislikes about your province?

PEI...

-Generally less polluted than other places
    -I can walk downtown in the dark without being afraid (except for stray cats or something )
    -Small university
    -Easy to get around

Dislikes:
    -Pretty quiet
    -VERY BORING
    -Very conservative
    -Not very veg friendly
    -Not a lot of cultural diversity
    -Way too gimicky and touristy
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: Likes/dislikes about your province

B.C.

Very scenic (mountains, lakes, rivers, beaches)
    Some beautiful rural areas and small towns
    Vegan friendly
    Lots of bears and other wildlife
    Summer weather

Dislikes:
    City of Vancouver and surrounding cities in lower mainland are disgustingly filthy (trash, needles etc)
    Terrible drug addict, homeless people, prostitute problem
    It's not safe in the cities
    Winter weather

Nova Scotia

Likes...
    Some beautiful scenery (not just the cabot trail! )
    Great culture and music
    Lots of good new music coming from places like Halifax
    The Ocean
    Rolling Hills
    Relativly safe except in Halifax these days
    The fact that no matter how terrible a maritimers rythm is, get someone to play a fiddle and all of a sudden they're right on que! I need to study this one...Its strange but very true...

Dislikes...
    Wacked out weather that changes all the time
    Too conservative in many places
    Sometimes to old fashioned (in places)
    To touristy during the summer
    Random murders in Halifax lately
    To many bylaws protecting tourists from the horrows of an unraked lawn.
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

Can I just say ooooooooooh PEI - home of my favourite fictional character- Anne of Green Gables. I shall visit there one day and I'm sure I'll love the gimicky, touristy stuff.

You probably would, most tourists do. Just remember, the locals don't normally do the touristy stuff so be expected if they say they don't (like going to the popular pay beaches, visiting the attractions, having PEI clothing, even reading the Anne Book---a lot don't do that).

Ah hello? "Pay" beaches? You have to pay to go to the beach? LOL!!

Of course! It's hellishly expensive as well.

LOL - Pay to go to the beach! I think that's so funny! But I guess it's a way for the province to put money into protecting the beaches and keeping them clean.

Yeah, we have dunes on our beaches which are very sensitive. Before the government took control of them, people would drive all over them, damaging the ecosystem. So it's good in a way, although, in my opinion, they are charging way too much.

Quote Roxy
    B.C.

Dislikes:
    disgustingly filthy (trash, needles etc)
    Terrible drug addict, homeless people, prostitute problem
    Winter weather
    I'm in Victoria, and same thing with the needles and homeless and drug problem. I moved here from Toronto and I cannot believe how bad the homeless and drug problem is here. I see more needles lying on the sidewalks, on walking path's, etc. in 1 week than I saw in T.O. in 26+ years. And I swear the drug and homeless problem is worse in B.C. than anywhere else in this country when you consider the population numbers.

As for winter weather, ummm, I don't know, maybe Van is worse, but even with rain every day and occasional snow, this winter has been AMAZING compared to the -30 degree blizzards, hail, ice, etc. the rest of the country gets. Personally, I'd rather be in the nice warm sun of Southern California year-round, but for Canada, we definitely have it the best in B.C.

btw: all the likes I agree with. B.C. is incredibly beautiful, cleaner air, much much more laid back and vegan friendly than other places. It is my favourite part of the country by far.

Quote rach71
    As for winter weather, ummm, I don't know, maybe Van is worse, but even with rain every day and occasional snow, this winter has been AMAZING compared to the -30 degree blizzards, hail, ice, etc. the rest of the country gets. Personally, I'd rather be in the nice warm sun of Southern California year-round, but for Canada, we definitely have it the best in B.C.

I'm originally from a part of Australia where it's always pretty nice, so I guess that's why I don't like the Vancouver winter weather lol. WHEN IS THE RAIN GONNA STOP!!??

Quote Roxy
    WHEN IS THE RAIN GONNA STOP!!??
    I know. When it rained for that 40 days straight a few months ago, it was horrible, I'm not used to that either because at least in Ontario it may be cold but the sky is blue. When we had that first day after 40 where the sun came out I went for a walk, and I swear, my ears were hurting from the sun peeking through!!

dw declare

love the mountains of alberta

hate the fossil fuel burning, clean air destroying, leaving idling, peace disturbing, disgusting vehicles that are killing us by breathing in their rancid exhaust day in and day out (but then that's not unique to alberta is it?)

i think bc is amazingly beautiful, its good for vegans, all the same stuff. but regarding rach71's post, i dont think the drug problem in victoria is bad. nanaimo is worse. and i think they keep victoria really beautiful and nice. its obviously creepy at night than other places because its a city, but other than that its good. the reason drugs are a big deal in bc other than anywhere else is because this is the main spot for receiving/transferring drugs to other countries, via boats etc. one thing i dont particularly like about bc is that its hard for me to find any friends who dont love to do drugs. everyone i know likes drugs. its so wierd. but i love the diversity of everybody here. theres all kinds of people and veganism is pretty normal here.

vancouver is really bad, but its a big city so i can understand why.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Tigerlily
    in my opinion, they are charging way too much.
    How much do they charge, Tigerlily?

I don't know, I never go! Definetly 10 bucks a car or more.

I have been reading with interest as I am looking to move to the BC area from the UK and have been looking at what areas to consider. I desperately want clean air and secenary plus vegan places to eat etc but find the drug stuff a little worrying. I want to live somewhere that is not too sleepy but not in the city either but realise that being out of the city limits vegan eating. Does anyone here have any advice they could give me? (I would really appreciate it) Thanks

Rndm

Cool Re: Likes/dislikes about your province

Hahaha, so not awesome.

Rndm

Unhappy Re: Likes/dislikes about your province

Quote rach71 View Post
    I'm in Victoria, and same thing with the needles and homeless and drug problem. I moved here from Toronto and I cannot believe how bad the homeless and drug problem is here. I see more needles lying on the sidewalks, on walking path's, etc. in 1 week than I saw in T.O. in 26+ years. And I swear the drug and homeless problem is worse in B.C. than anywhere else in this country when you consider the population numbers.
    I'm interested in the homeless factor too. I live just outside San Francisco, California and the visible homeless population here is very apparent. I've only been to Victoria about five times and I noticed most of the homeless population are teens who are probably just trying to find a more urban accepting society. I visited Montreal a couple months ago and the homeless population was really insane to me. I'm talking SF numbers. Montreal was by far the dirtiest city with the most homeless that I have ever seen in Canada. I guess it makes sense, because Quebec feeds the rich and deprives the poor. Very sad society that province is. I have travelled to Van quite a few times and I was, actually, hard-pressed to find homeless people at least compared to other cities' homeless populations, namely in the States.